Reverse Engineer Logical Model from Physical Model ?

Is it possible to reverse engineer a Logical PDM from a Physical PDM ?

I can only find in the PD help information about reverse engineering a
physical PDM from an actual database or scripts, but haven't found anything
about reverse engineering a logical PDM from a physical PDM. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Andy Mackie.
(PhysicalArchitect 11.1)

"tools - generate conceptual model" on PDM creates a CDM

Adrian
"A Mackie" <andrew@mackie14.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is it possible to reverse engineer a Logical PDM from a Physical PDM ?
>
> I can only find in the PD help information about reverse engineering a
> physical PDM from an actual database or scripts, but haven't found
> anything
> about reverse engineering a logical PDM from a physical PDM. Is this
> possible?
>

> Thanks,
> Andy Mackie.
> (PhysicalArchitect 11.1)

0
Adrian
3/16/2006 5:58:30 PM
Adrian wrote:
> "tools - generate conceptual model" on PDM creates a CDM

But it's a logical model I want, not a conceptual model. Maybe it's as simple
as:

1. Database->Change Current DBMS, then choose <Logical Model> as DBMS.
or
2. Tools->Generate Physical Data Model, then choose <Logical Model> as DBMS.

Hmm, maybe that's why there is no "generate logical model" option.

Andy.

> Adrian
> "A Mackie" <andrew@mackie14.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to reverse engineer a Logical PDM from a Physical PDM ?
> >
> > I can only find in the PD help information about reverse engineering a
> > physical PDM from an actual database or scripts, but haven't found
> > anything
> > about reverse engineering a logical PDM from a physical PDM. Is this
> > possible?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Andy Mackie.
> > (PhysicalArchitect 11.1)

Andy,

You are correct.  You should generate PDM to PDM and select <Logical
Model> for the target database.

Anthony

On 16 Mar 2006 10:15:28 -0800, "A Mackie"
<andrew@mackie14.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Adrian wrote:
>> "tools - generate conceptual model" on PDM creates a CDM
>
>But it's a logical model I want, not a conceptual model. Maybe it's as simple
>as:
>
>1. Database->Change Current DBMS, then choose <Logical Model> as DBMS.
>or
>2. Tools->Generate Physical Data Model, then choose <Logical Model> as DBMS.
>
>Hmm, maybe that's why there is no "generate logical model" option.
>
>Andy.
>

>> Adrian
>> "A Mackie" <andrew@mackie14.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to reverse engineer a Logical PDM from a Physical PDM ?
>> >
>> > I can only find in the PD help information about reverse engineering a
>> > physical PDM from an actual database or scripts, but haven't found
>> > anything
>> > about reverse engineering a logical PDM from a physical PDM. Is this
>> > possible?
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> > Andy Mackie.
>> > (PhysicalArchitect 11.1)
0
Anthony
3/16/2006 7:45:41 PM
Unfortunately, PowerDesigner doesn't really have a "Logical Data Model".
  What it does have is a Physical Data Model with a <Logical> target.
So, to reverse engineer from a DBMS specific PDM to a logical PDM, you
generate from PDM to PDM and select Logical as the target, as Tony said.
I've submitted enhancements to Sybase, asking that they establish the
logical model as distinct from the PDM.  Please join me in requesting this.

--
Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
http://www.datamodel.org

A Mackie wrote:
> Is it possible to reverse engineer a Logical PDM from a Physical PDM ?
>
> I can only find in the PD help information about reverse engineering a
> physical PDM from an actual database or scripts, but haven't found anything
> about reverse engineering a logical PDM from a physical PDM. Is this possible?
>

> Thanks,
> Andy Mackie.
> (PhysicalArchitect 11.1)
0
Mike

Generating physical model from logical model
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040608020200010900010207 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi I am using PowerDesigner 9.5.2.920. This problem is related with the one posted as *Generating PDM from PDM logical* 2004 11 04 . I have a CDM model. Then I generate a logical model. No changes were made to the logical model. Then I generate the physical model, for a n IBM DB2 UDB 7 Common Server database. Looking at the physical model I realize that PowerDesigner did not convert the data types in th...

PowerDesigner Conceptual modeling/Physical modeling...when to do it
We're trying to understand when in the development life cycle conceptual modeling should take place. I'm hoping someone on this list can give me some advice or point me to a good source for this sort of information. The development process for us appears it should be... 1. Gather business requirements 2. Write a Functional Spec 3. Write a Technical Spec 4. Code But where in the above 4 steps do we do the DB modeling? Is conceptual in 1&2 and physical in 2&3? Please advise. We do conceptual modeling (CDM) during the Business Requirements Gathering and Func...

Create logical model from physical model
I'm looking for suggestions for ways of creating a logical model from a physical model. I know it can be done. The bit issue that I have is Name and Code. Since we only have a physical model, the names and codes are the same. I thought of manually creating a conversion table, but don't think that will work since our names are like this: PROVNUM I would ideally like to find a way where the logical model would have Provider Number as the name and PROVNUM as the code. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks. Happy Holidays This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ...

Unable to Generate new physical model from Logical Model
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4b7d803f Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Using PowerDesigner 15.0.0.2613, I am no longer able to generate a new physical data model from a logical data model. The DBMS dropdown was empty, and I was not able to click OK or Apply to continue. However, I was still able to Update the existing Physical Data Model from the logical model. I have unsuccesfully tried to resolve this problem by: Creating a new project and a new logical model with only one entity. A...

generate option not exported when merging logical model to a physical model
using version 10.0.0.1077 i have a logical model between PDM for oracle 8.1.6 and SQL Server 2000. in the logical model there are some references I wish NOT to generate. so i unclick the generate option. when I generate a PDM for SQL Server (or for oracle) the generate option is not exported. the only way i found to export this option is to remove all the references in the target model and re-generate it from the logical model. not a very good solution, obviously... is this a bug? thanks --andre First, try downloading the maintenance patches for V10. You are using ...

How to create Logical model with powerdesigner 11.1. ( Not Conceptual model)
We bought powerdesigner 11.1 and using oracle Db 10g rel 2. I would like create Logical model ( LDM) file and then convert this LDM to PDM. But with this PD only can create CDM(conceptual) and then convert to PDM. There is not option given to convert from CDM to LDM adn then LDM to PDM. I would like create non-identifying type relationship and also use rolename column in my child table instead same column of parent table. please let me know if someone have answer for this . thank you very much. jitendra.rana@bofasecurities.com The way PowerDesigner implements the LDM is with a spec...

After reverse engineer how to synchronize database modification with physical model?
Hi, I performed reverse engineer from a database. Then I modified that database. How can I synchronize the database modification with the PD model? Thanks. Do the exact same thing: PDes shall then merge with the existing and won't override the current model. > Hi, > > I performed reverse engineer from a database. Then I > modified that database. How can I synchronize the database > modification with the PD model? > > Thanks. > In the current model of the database you reversed, go to Database -> Reverse Engineer Database. This will bring...

Problems importing ERWin 4.x logical and physical models into PowerDesigner 12.0.1
The File>Import>Erwin functionality in PowerDesigner 12.0.1 running on a WinXP Professional Version 2002 SP1 laptop aborts silently, with no error or warning messages, after an ERWIN logical or physical model is selected for import. The problem occurs for ERWIN 4.1 (.xml) model files, as well as for ERWIN 7 models. Those models were originally created as .er1 files, then opened in a 30-day trial version of ERWIN 7.1.0.1075 and re-saved as either ERWIN 4.1 or ERWIN 7 files for import into PowerDesigner 12. Installation of EBF 13999 (part of release 12.1.0 ESD #2) failed to sol...

Reverse Engineer
I have taken an AS/400 sql create script to reverse engineer into a PDM. The message indicates that the file has been successfully reverse engineered. Why do I not see the model? Kevin More than likely, this is due to the DDL syntax in the script file. PowerDesigner is expecting the syntax to be the same as what would be generated by PowerDesigner. This syntax is located in the DBMS file for the target DBMS. If the script is in the same syntax, check for comments in the script file. If the comment sections are not using the BlockComment or LineComment syntax specified in...

Why am I not able to select Updata Existing Physical Data Model option when I want to Generate a physical model?
I have selected my conceptual model and go to generate the physical data model and I am not able to select the Update Existing Physical Data Model. Any ideas why? Do I need to do something special to my logical model or something before I can do that? At this point I only have the database in the tool. I have not set up a repository if that matters. If you did not create a Physical Data Model before you need to do so and choose a DB engine. For the repository, I don't know I don't use it. <Jodie> wrote in message news:CF80427DA375B3310066BC3285256A72.0066BC41...

Why am I not able to select Updata Existing Physical Data Model option when I want to Generate a physical model?
I do currently have a physical model. I created the physical model from my current database and then created my conceptual data model from that. Not that I updated my conceptual model I am not given the option to update my physical model. Hi Jodi, I'm not sure if I understood. You created a conceptual model out of a physical one? Why do you want to update your phys. model from the just created conceptual one? Did you do any changes in the concept. model? No? Then the case would be clear - no updates - no changes. Regards Reinhold. Jodie wrote in message <2A81C1E65E503...

How to get conceptual model changes into physical model?
Hello!! How do I get the changes that I made on the conceptual model to show up on the physical model? ex. my new table. - Go into the "Tools" menu and select "Generate physical data model" (or CTRL+G from the CDM) - Select "Update existing data model", select the PDM you want to update and check the "preserve modifications" option if you want to keep changes previously made on the PDM. - You will be presented with a compare window which shows you the changes that are going to be done in your PDM You can choose to implement them or not....

Reverse engineering in a existing model
My version is 9.5.2 When a reverse engineering is made from a model (PDM), the comparison window appears. But the comparison options can't be set even if they are defined by default. In our model, we don't use the owner of any object and the window comparison let us see a lot of differences between the model and data base because of the owner. Is there a solution ? Thanks KOWAL wrote... > My version is 9.5.2 > > When a reverse engineering is made from a model (PDM), the > comparison window appears. But the comparison options can't > be set eve...

Could I create a Conceptual Data Model from Physical Data Model??
I'm trying PowerDesigner 12 and I wanted to do reverse engineering.. Is it possbile create a Conceptual Data Model from Physical? Thanks in advance!!! Select the Tools\Generate conceptual model menu <Xavi> wrote in message news:4739638d.297c.1681692777@sybase.com... > I'm trying PowerDesigner 12 and I wanted to do reverse > engineering.. > > Is it possbile create a Conceptual Data Model from Physical? > Thanks in advance!!! ...

Web resources about - Reverse Engineer Logical Model from Physical Model ? - sybase.powerdesigner.general

Engineer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering , concerned with applying scientific knowledge , mathematics , and ingenuity to develop ...

An engineer caused Telstra's big outage yesterday by turning the network off and on again
Telstra’s mobile network across the whole of Australia suffered its biggest outage in recent memory yesterday after a key component to its network ...

How an engineer 'turned off' Telstra's national network
Telstra's mobile networks across the country were brought down for several hours on Tuesday afternoon after a key piece of equipment was accidentally ...

USB Type-C cable so bad it fries Google engineer’s Chromebook Pixel
Benson Leung, the Google engineer who moonlights as a tester of dodgy USB Type-C cables , has sadly performed his last act of tech vigilantism—at ...

Mazda engineer wants new rotary to be turbocharged
Filed under: Mazda , Technology , Coupe , Concept Cars , Performance Mazda's drivetrain and powertrain assistant manager wants the company's ...

A Google engineer built a smart bathroom mirror that shows the temperature and top news headlines for ...
Google software engineer Max Braun was unimpressed with the lack of a sci-fi style "smart" mirror, so he built his own . He accomplished this ...

Amtrak engineer on final seconds before fatal crash
Transcripts from federal investigation into deadly train crash last May in Philadelphia released

Bees Could Engineer Next-Generation Energy Storage
... the next item on the list when it comes to listing all the reasons we need to save the world's bee population from collapse Bees Could Engineer ...

Carnegie Mellon project aims to 'reverse-engineer' the brain
... a good understanding of how we think. With that premise in mind, a new $12 million effort launched Wednesday with aims to "reverse-engineer" ...

The Age of Aerospace: What Can't We Do? Part 8: The Engineer
Boeing President Claire Egtvedt and engineer Ed Wells undertake to develop a revolutionary bomber, the B-17 Flying Fortress. In doing so, they ...