Placing indexes in index table

I have an Oracle 8.1.7 database and right now when I have Power Designer
9.5 create the script to create the database, the indexes have no
tablespace attached to them, so they are placed in the USERS tablespace.
Can someone explain to me the steps that need to be performed to have the
indexes to into the INDX tablespace?  Thanks.

STeve
0
Steve_Yarbrough

Look at the Index properties dialog box, and select the Options tab.  From
there you should be able to specify everything that you need for the index.
If you want to change all existing indexes at once, click on Database ->
Default Physical Options and select the Index tab.

--
Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
http://www.datamodel.org

<Steve_Yarbrough> wrote in message
> I have an Oracle 8.1.7 database and right now when I have Power Designer
> 9.5 create the script to create the database, the indexes have no
> tablespace attached to them, so they are placed in the USERS tablespace.
> Can someone explain to me the steps that need to be performed to have the
> indexes to into the INDX tablespace?  Thanks.
>
> STeve

0
Mike
10/24/2002 9:45:03 PM
Thanks.  Ok, here's the problem I'm having (PowerDesigner 9.5).  I do the
following:

1. Double click the table to modify.
2. Click the Indexes tab
3. If exists, remove any existing indexes.
4. Select Insert a Row.
5. Name the index LOC_INDX and Code the same.
6. Go into the properties for LOC_INDX.
7. Select Columns.
8. On the column definition pulldown select the pre-created entry.
9. The primary key column shows in the grid.
10. Click OK.

The program automatically checks both Unique and Primary.  Go back into the
index and click on Preview.  Nothing is there.  In the table generation
there is nothing there either.

Steve
0
Steve_Yarbrough
10/24/2002 11:18:56 PM
If you link the index to the primary key, then the index will not be
generated if the database automatically indexes primary keys, which I'm
guessing is the case for you.  In the preview window, does it say something
about your generation settings causing the display to be empty?

--

> Thanks.  Ok, here's the problem I'm having (PowerDesigner 9.5).  I do the
> following:
>
> 1. Double click the table to modify.
> 2. Click the Indexes tab
> 3. If exists, remove any existing indexes.
> 4. Select Insert a Row.
> 5. Name the index LOC_INDX and Code the same.
> 6. Go into the properties for LOC_INDX.
> 7. Select Columns.
> 8. On the column definition pulldown select the pre-created entry.
> 9. The primary key column shows in the grid.
> 10. Click OK.
>
> The program automatically checks both Unique and Primary.  Go back into
the
> index and click on Preview.  Nothing is there.  In the table generation
> there is nothing there either.
>
> Steve

0
Mike

To Index or Not To Index or How To Index
Hello, I was wondering if someone knows a better way to explain how different indexes work. Such as, is it better to have an index with int type or char or varchar etc? Is it better to have composite indexes or indexes with individual columns? How does optimizer handle different indexes and what can we do help it? Indexes are very efficient most of the time but they can be quite detrimental to server's performance, if abused. Perhaps you know of a good article about indexing that you could share with us. Or, perhaps Mr. Rob Verschoor would like to issue an article in his very usefu...

Populating indexed versus non indexed tables
All - I need to populate a series of tables using MySQL under Win2k. The source data will be in ~20 files. In terms of time, is it best to populate the tables and create the indexes afterwards? Or, should I create the indexes when I create the tables? I know that it takes a little longer populating an indexed table. But is it still faster than creating indexes afterwards? Some of the tables might be fairly large (a few million records each). Thanks, Mark - Mark Riehl Agile Communications, Inc. Email: mark.riehl@agilecommunications.com Mark Riehl wrote: > >...

No table index exists or at least one table index column is not included in data source. Data can be displayed but not updated.
No table index exists or at least one table index column is not included in data source. Data can be displayed but not updated. I get this error when trying to build a form, i'm connected to a remote database, the DBA states I have permissions on the tables i'm working with. There is no index on these table, all columns in table are being included in form i get this error. Been unable to find any info on this error in user documentation. Thanks in advance. Melissa Johnson Forms require that there is a unique index / primary key on a table. If neither of those exis...

To Index or not to Index (that is the question...)
I'd like to clear up an assumption I have. If I have a Primary Key Constraint on a Table I assume that I will not need to create an Index on the field(s) of the constraint as the action of creating the primary key constraint produces what is the equivalent of an Index (be the constraint clustered or not). Is this the case? Also I'm looking to Pivot some data, are there any SQL tricks etc. I should be aware of to be able to do this (I've searched the Newsgroups for 'Pivot' but don't understand any of the answers posted - some SQL examples would be gr...

Switching a table from a clustered index to a non-clustered index.
Hi all, I've been using CAST to set my table properties but now I must learn the proper syntax in order to adjust the table settings from iSQL. Currently table A's index is set to clustered but I want to convert it to a non-clustered index. Does anyone know the command line that I should use? Thanks, Al Drop & recreate the index ( Primary key ) alter table table_name drop constraint constraint_name go alter table table_name add constraint constraint_name PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED ( col ) go ...

index server not indexing
Ok, so I want to add a catalog to the index server. I can add the new catalog, I then add a directory to this catalog. I restart the index server, and merge the index. If I click the index server, in mmc, it shows 0 documents for everything. Everything meaning documents to index, total docs, docs defered for indexing and so on.  I've tried this on vista as well as on win2003 and the same result is obtained, no documents are indexed. In win2003 I can index document, but ONLY the ones in the default catalog, if I paste some documents there they get indexed. So, what have I don...

Indexs on Views (Do the call to a view uses index on a table)
  Hi I have created a view on my server A which is caling a table from Server B. The table that its calling has a bunch of index on it. Now I want to know does a call to this view, considers the indexes on my table on server B. Its taking a lot of time to respond so I am thinking its not considering the indexes but pls shed some light on it. I am not very good with Views and Indexes. Have something like this on server A Create view history as Select * from ServerB.siq.dbo.History Please help Thanks -   SarahSarah Cameron Benjamin Have you checked the Execution Plan for your qu...

Can we use Microsoft indexing service for the indexing of Database tables.
Hi friends can we use microsoft indexing service for the indexing of Database files. if yes give me description. Hi ramkoti ,      Refer the below links :                                     http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/Indexing_Service_HOW-TO.aspx                       ...

sa_migrate create index problem (more than 8 index per table)
Is anybody have problem creating index while migrating a consolidated database to a ASA database. I'm having problems : with tables having more than 8 index. Under 6 index per table seems to work fine. The procedure sa_migrate seems to have problem with more than 8 index/table. What version of ASA? What kind of database is being migrated? What exactly is the symptom or error message? Breck On 27 Feb 2006 12:02:48 -0800, Timrek wrote: >Is anybody have problem creating index while migrating a >consolidated database to a ASA database. I'm having problems >...

Basic Index question :- nonclusted indexes which are a subset of a clustered index
Can anyone suggest why I would have the following set of indices upon a table: index1 clustered, unique field1,field,field3,fiel4 index2 nonclustered field2,field3, field4 index3 nonclustered field,field2,field4 The table is one into which a lot of inserts are done, so I would have thought that index2 & 3 would be unncessary since they're (1) already in the clustered index and (2) any inserts would triple the amount of index updates that are required... Are these assumptions correct ? Thanks in advance, Steve Hi, if you have a...

Table Indexes
Can anyone please suggest some solutions on this: I need to calculate the segment size for a table with over 300 million rows. thsi table has 1 clustered and 2 non clustered indexes. what is the best way to calculate the segment size and the sizes of each indexes . any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA How about the sp_estspace stored procedure? -bret JV wrote: > Can anyone please suggest some solutions on this: > I need to calculate the segment size for a table with over 300 million > rows. thsi table has 1 clustered and 2 non clustered indexes. what is the &...

table index
Just curious, I never care to use table index before. when setting up table, just set primary key and done. Is index really speed up table? Cause up till now i didn't notice the difference between using and not using one. Thanks Erge In article <443c50b7@forums-1-dub>, ergeoce@gmail.com says... > Just curious, I never care to use table index before. > > when setting up table, just set primary key and done. > > Is index really speed up table? Cause up till now i didn't notice the > difference between using and not using one. An inde...

Index Name from Index ID
Hi there, Have an error reported in log and I want to find the index name, the error has provided the database name and table name but only the index id. Is there any easy way of doing this ? Thanks, Mully "mully" <niallpmullan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:1193139772.411602.109710@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > Hi there, > > Have an error reported in log and I want to find the index name, the > error has provided the database name and table name but only the index > id. Is there any easy way of doing this ? > > Thanks, >...

How to index a table?
sorry for posting a question that has probably been posted hundreds oftimes, but i can't seem to find the answer i need...We're using a SqlServer 2005 database and recently started getting timeout expired, which i'm assuming is due to the volume ofrecords in our tables. Unfortunately i'm not too experiences w/indexing tables, so my question is: 1) how do you determine which fields to index (does it have to be afield w/ no nulls, no duplicates..similar to primary key), and why notindex the primary key 2) is it better to index the same field on different tables, or is it...

Web resources about - Placing indexes in index table - sybase.powerdesigner.general

Facebook Starts Placing Restrictions On Event Invites
Facebook users who regularly invite hundreds of people to their events (or their entire friend list) will start meeting some friction. As noticed ...

Facebook now placing related stories under personal posts
Many users are accustomed to seeing related posts when they click on a link post within Facebook News Feed. However, it appears that Facebook ...

Placing a little red Cottage on the Moon - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... the exact top position of the Globe. The artwork with a cottage on the Globe is the first step within a larger project with the goal of placing ...

NYPD Kill Man by Placing him in Chokehold and Slamming Face to Sidewalk (R.I.P July 17, 2014) - YouTube ...
Horrible: 400 Pound Asthmatic Man Dies After NYPD Placed Him In A Headlock & Piled On Him! NYPD Kill Man by Placing him in Chokehold and Slamming ...

Red Cadeaux not dead: Injured horse survives Melbourne Cup 2015 - Winners, placings, last place & full ...
REPORTS indicate Red Cadeaux is “alive and well” and appears to have been stabilised after undergoing surgery for a leg injury.

'Placing politics above our kids'
Frustrated parents of Dutton Park State School students say Brisbane City Council is placing politics above the safety of their children by refusing ...

Recruiter Paul Brodie banned for 13 months for placing multi-bet on GWS game
Greater Western Sydney recruiting assistant Paul Brodie has been suspended for 13 months for placing a bet on a match in which the Giants were ...

2015 Melbourne Cup finishing order, where did my horse finish, placings, dividends, result - DailyTelegraph ...
MICHELLE Payne has ridden into histoy on the back of Prince of Penzance but what happened to the favourites?

2015 Melbourne Cup finishing order, where did my horse finish, placings, dividends, result - HeraldSun ...
MICHELLE Payne has ridden into histoy on the back of Prince of Penzance but what happened to the favourites?

Sydney University student newspaper Honi Soit pulled after placing vaginas on the cover
A UNIVERSITY student newspaper has been pulled from the shelves because of a controversial cover featuring 18 vaginas.