Model from PowerDesigner 9.5 convert into PowerDesigner 8...

Folks,

Happy New year!

I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
(trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8, and
have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now question,
is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner version
8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
flags, etc?

I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking to buy
new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
lover version of PowerDesigner.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Vitaliy Fursov
0
Vitaliy_Fursov

I'm sorry to bear bad news, but AFAIK, there is no way to go backwards from
V9 to V8.
The advice (for the future) is to be careful when trying out new versions,
not to use the new version on your production models unless you are really
going to buy the new version.
The same goes for beta versions.  Never, ever, use beta software on your
production models.

--
Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
http://www.datamodel.org

<Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Happy New year!
>
> I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
> (trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8, and
> have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now question,
> is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner version
> 8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
> flags, etc?
>
> I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking to
buy
> new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
> lover version of PowerDesigner.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vitaliy Fursov

0
Mike
1/2/2003 5:13:18 PM
Hi Vitaliy,

This is probably not what you want to hear, but anyway.....

If you are really in a fix, you might generate the ddl from PD9 and then see
whether you can use the ddl file as input into PD8.

I have not tried that, but would be interested in hearing if it would work.

Sam R.

<Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Happy New year!
>
> I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
> (trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8, and
> have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now question,
> is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner version
> 8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
> flags, etc?
>
> I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking to
buy
> new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
> lover version of PowerDesigner.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vitaliy Fursov

0
Sam
1/2/2003 6:51:05 PM
That would probably work, if Vitaliy was working on the PDM, but he
specifically said "conceptual model".

--

"Sam R." <samuelr@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Hi Vitaliy,
>
> This is probably not what you want to hear, but anyway.....
>
> If you are really in a fix, you might generate the ddl from PD9 and then
see
> whether you can use the ddl file as input into PD8.
>
> I have not tried that, but would be interested in hearing if it would
work.

> Sam R.
>

> <Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message
> > Folks,
> >
> > Happy New year!
> >
> > I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
> > (trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8,
and
> > have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now
question,
> > is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner
version
> > 8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
> > flags, etc?
> >
> > I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking to
> buy
> > new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
> > lover version of PowerDesigner.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your help.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Vitaliy Fursov

0
Mike
1/2/2003 7:56:10 PM
OK.  Now, assuming Vitaliy still has PD9.5 available, how about if he were
to generate a 9.5 PDM from the 9.5 CDM, and then generate ddl and import
into PD8?

I don't have PD8, but can you display a "logical" view of a PDM in PD8?
This may be as close as he is going to get....

Sam R.

"Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" <TeamSybase.5.psyclo@spamgourmet.com> wrote
in message news:3IF8qtpsCHA.339@forums.sybase.com...
> That would probably work, if Vitaliy was working on the PDM, but he
> specifically said "conceptual model".
>
> --
> Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> http://www.datamodel.org
> mailto:TeamSybase.5.psyclo@spamgourmet.com
>

> "Sam R." <samuelr@swbell.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Vitaliy,
> >
> > This is probably not what you want to hear, but anyway.....
> >
> > If you are really in a fix, you might generate the ddl from PD9 and then
> see
> > whether you can use the ddl file as input into PD8.
> >
> > I have not tried that, but would be interested in hearing if it would
> work.
> >
> > Sam R.
> >

> > <Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Happy New year!
> > >
> > > I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
> > > (trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8,
> and
> > > have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now
> question,
> > > is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner
> version
> > > 8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
> > > flags, etc?
> > >
> > > I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking
> > buy
> > > new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
> > > lover version of PowerDesigner.
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for your help.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Vitaliy Fursov

0
Sam
1/2/2003 9:08:25 PM
You can also try to rename any .cdb or .pdb files you find to .cdm and .pdm
(IN a different directory!!)

and try to open those in pd 8. The .**b files are backups of your .**m
files.

<Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Happy New year!
>
> I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
> (trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8, and
> have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now question,
> is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner version
> 8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
> flags, etc?
>
> I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking to
buy
> new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
> lover version of PowerDesigner.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vitaliy Fursov

0
Karel
1/3/2003 7:53:16 AM
Technically, what you suggest might be possible, but there is a lot of
information in the CDM that doesn't get put into the DDL.  Think about all
of the descriptions and business rule information that is completely outside
the scope of the database.  Also consider the potential data type corruption
as he goes back and forth.  Personally, when I have tried to reverse
engineer straight from DDL to a CDM, it never looks good, especially if I
have an existing CDM that I want to update a database.

This does look like another place where MetaIntegration
(www.metaintegration.com) would be able to help, since they support more
than one version of PowerDesigner.  You should be able to use their tools to
go backwards.  I wonder if I could use it to go back to V6?  Interesting!

--

> OK.  Now, assuming Vitaliy still has PD9.5 available, how about if he were
> to generate a 9.5 PDM from the 9.5 CDM, and then generate ddl and import
> into PD8?
>
> I don't have PD8, but can you display a "logical" view of a PDM in PD8?
> This may be as close as he is going to get....
>
> Sam R.
>
> "Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" <TeamSybase.5.psyclo@spamgourmet.com> wrote
> in message news:3IF8qtpsCHA.339@forums.sybase.com...
> > That would probably work, if Vitaliy was working on the PDM, but he
> > specifically said "conceptual model".
> >
> > --
> > Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> > http://www.datamodel.org
> > mailto:TeamSybase.5.psyclo@spamgourmet.com
> >

> > "Sam R." <samuelr@swbell.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi Vitaliy,
> > >
> > > This is probably not what you want to hear, but anyway.....
> > >
> > > If you are really in a fix, you might generate the ddl from PD9 and
then
> > see
> > > whether you can use the ddl file as input into PD8.
> > >
> > > I have not tried that, but would be interested in hearing if it would
> > work.
> > >
> > > Sam R.
> > >

> > > <Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message

> > and
> > question,
> > version

> > > buy

0
Mike
1/3/2003 2:02:10 PM
The problem is that all files will be V9 files, and V8 can't directly open
them.

--

"Karel van der Walt" <karelvdwalt@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
> You can also try to rename any .cdb or .pdb files you find to .cdm and
..pdm
> (IN a different directory!!)
>
> and try to open those in pd 8. The .**b files are backups of your .**m
> files.
>

> <Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message
> > Folks,
> >
> > Happy New year!
> >
> > I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
> > (trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8,
and
> > have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now
question,
> > is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner
version
> > 8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
> > flags, etc?
> >
> > I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking to
> buy
> > new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
> > lover version of PowerDesigner.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your help.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Vitaliy Fursov

0
Mike
1/3/2003 2:02:59 PM
After reviewing the replies to Vitaliy's dilemma, it is clear that there
will be a significant cost to "apply" the changes made in PD9 to his PD8
environment:  whether this is done by manually re-entering the changes into
PD8, by experimenting with ddl/importing, or by acquiring professional
services.

Something to keep in mind is that it does not take very much effort to
accumulate significant expenses, be they soft or hard dollars.

Perhaps the most effective approach is for the company to spring for the
cost of PD9 after all.  What are we talking about here, some $5000-$6000 for
a one-seat license?  This would be less for an PD8 to PD9 upgrade, of
course.

Vitaliy, how much effort did you put into the PD9 changes.  That is the
investment you are trying to salvage.  How does it compare to the cost of
upgrading to PD9?  How much time and cost would it take to re-enter those
changes into PD8?

Samuel M. Ramirez
samuelr@swbell.net

<Vitaliy_Fursov> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Happy New year!
>
> I have a problem here -- please help. I've tried new PowerDesigner 9.5
> (trial version). I have opened my existing model from PowerDesigner 8, and
> have done some changes to it. Actually, a lot of changes... Now question,
> is somehow possible to read this conceptual model in PowerDesigner version
> 8 again? Is any converter available? Can I save my model with special
> flags, etc?
>
> I really need this problem to be solved since company is not looking to
buy
> new version, and I have to find out the way to bring all my changes to
> lover version of PowerDesigner.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vitaliy Fursov

0
Sam
1/3/2003 7:18:49 PM
Folks,

Thank you all for your care. I'm working with Logicam Data Model for now,
and amount of changes I've done to it in V9 is significant. It'll take me
few days, maybe 2-3 weeks if I will try to repeat all changes in V8
manually.

The solution I've found so far is to use XML format for my cdm files, and
create a transformation file from V9 to V8. It seems possible. I just
thought that if someone did this already, then we can share experience.

I'm not sure if company will buy V9 in a few weeks or so, and I still have
a lot of work to be done on my model. Currently I have 10 packages, and
each contain hundreds of objects. There are few hundreds business rules
with quite complex picture of dependancy.

In case there will be absolutely impossible to map XML from V9 to XML V8,
then I will do manual exercise -- it'll be also useful. Such models require
reviews anyway :)

My hope is that I can use XMLSpy or Borland XMLMapper to design
transformation file.

Any suggestions and ideas are truly appreciated.

Best regards,

Vitaliy Fursov
0
Vitaliy_Fursov
1/4/2003 6:50:31 PM
I still think that MetaIntegration might be a faster and more complete
solution.  If you spent a week writing your own transforms, it would cost
more than buying the module from MetaIntegration.

--

> Folks,
>
> Thank you all for your care. I'm working with Logicam Data Model for now,
> and amount of changes I've done to it in V9 is significant. It'll take me
> few days, maybe 2-3 weeks if I will try to repeat all changes in V8
> manually.
>
> The solution I've found so far is to use XML format for my cdm files, and
> create a transformation file from V9 to V8. It seems possible. I just
> thought that if someone did this already, then we can share experience.
>
> I'm not sure if company will buy V9 in a few weeks or so, and I still have
> a lot of work to be done on my model. Currently I have 10 packages, and
> each contain hundreds of objects. There are few hundreds business rules
> with quite complex picture of dependancy.
>
> In case there will be absolutely impossible to map XML from V9 to XML V8,
> then I will do manual exercise -- it'll be also useful. Such models
require
> reviews anyway :)
>
> My hope is that I can use XMLSpy or Borland XMLMapper to design
> transformation file.
>
> Any suggestions and ideas are truly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vitaliy Fursov

0
Mike

PowerDesigner Viewer 9.0 and 9.5 models
Does The PowerDesigner Viewer 9.0 work with 9.5 models? The reason I am asking is that I cannot view diagrams from a 9.5 model, the diagrams display with just empty boxes and no content. The rest of the model content is fine. No, you can't open newer models with older versions of PowerDesigner. You should be able to download the latest 9.5 version of the Viewer from the Sybase web site. -- Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase] http://www.datamodel.org mike@nospam!datamodel.org Sybase product enhancement requests: http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement "M...

Powerdesigner Viewer 15.0 against Powerdesigner 12.5 repository
When connecting the Viewer 15.0 to Powerdesiger 12.5 repository, getting an error " Repository doesnt contain all the required definitions. It cannot be used with this version of the Viewer" Is Viewer 15.0 backward-compatible? Is there a resolution or could we download Powerdesigner Viewer 12.5? PowerDesigner V15 viewer is file backwards compatible, but not repository backwards compatible. So - you can either upgrade the client and repository to Version 15 (I know this is a big job and may not be possible right away) or downgrade the viewer to the older version. ...

PowerDesign
Hi, Today is February 7, 2000. I am tryng to download trial version. I got registered, but hyperlink to an actual download is not working. Can you help me at some point. Thanks, Konstantin Konstantin, I just went to the Sybase web site and downloaded the trial version. There must have been a temporary problem when you tried. http://www.sybase.com/products/powerdesigner/trial/ click "download now" Regards, John Olson Team Sybase Konstantin wrote in message ... >Hi, >Today is February 7, 2000. I am tryng to download trial version. >I got registe...

How to migrate from PowerDesigner 6 to PowerDesigner 10
I have several PD 6 models I wish to migrate to version 10 and have a few questions: 1) It appears that opening the model with the new version will automatically convert it, but are there any issues I should be aware of first? Is there a conversion program for changing from such an old version? 2) How do I migrate the Process Models? It appears I can open them but it appears the porcess flow charts are gone! 3) Are there any other pitfalls of which I should beware? Cool, even V12 can open V6 models. The ProcessAnalyst model probably won't open cleanly. Man, I haven&...

How to migrate PowerDesigner 6 to PowerDesigner 11
I am with difficulties "to take" models generated in PowerDesigner 6 for PowerDesigner 11 (evaluation). Already I tried to make the steps below, but I did not get success. Step 1 - The basic File/Open I chose diagrama.pdm file (generated in version 6) and To open. It starts to read the archive and finishing he almost gives to the error "failed you read the file". Valley to detach that the procedure was attemped with other archives (also generated in version 6) and I did not get success and that the same ones continue functioning in version 6. Step 2 - Co...

Reports in Powerdesigner 9.5
The new format of html style reports is awesome! Good Job to the team who developed this. John Dzilvelis I especially like the style sheets. I'm having all kinds of fun (and wasting all kinds of time) creating a cool style sheet to use for all of my reports. -- Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] http://www.datamodel.org mailto:TeamSybase.5.psyclo@spamgourmet.com "John Dzilvelis" <john_dzilvelis@coxtarget.com> wrote in message news:L$moxH5eCHA.292@forums.sybase.com... > The new format of html style reports is awesome! > > Good Job to ...

Upgrading Powerdesigner from 9.0.0.438 to 9.5.0.648
I want upgrade my powerdesigner from v9 to v9.5 but the operation failed because powerdesigner view this sequence of message 1) The repository does not contain all the required definition.Only an administrator can update it so when i click the ok button the second message is 2) The connection failed because the repository has not been installed on this database. I used the login name admin and the user/password is the user and password of the owner of table and the repository reside on an Oracle 9.2 database. My db user is DBA administrator. Any help would be greatly ap...

About PowerDesigner
is PowerDesigner included in the enterprise version of PowerBuilder 6.0 or 6.5? if so, which CD is PowerDesigner in? PowerDesigner is part of the EAStudio package but not the PB stand-alone package. I believe that is still the case even today with PB8. If you get EAStudio, you get PB, PowerJ, PowerDesigner (remember that with PB8, PowerSite has been rolled into the product and doesn't exist on it's own any more). If you get just PB, you get just PB. steve [TeamSybase] Dear Steve, Now I find out EAStudio. I can see the following options for installation: Power...

where is powerdesigner?
I just read the asa-8 documentation and found out that powerdesigner can be located at: From the Start menu, choose Programs->Sybase SQL Anywhere 8->PowerDesigner 7->PowerDesigner. Somehow I couldn't find it? Is it missing from installation cd? or do i have to purchase a powerdesigner cd of its own? please advise, thx rony Its a seperate software and you need to purchase it seperately and install it. -- HTH Satish "Rony Santoso" <rony_xg@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:420cdf42@forums-2-dub... >I just read the asa-8 documentation a...

PowerDesigner 9
After Installing PowerDesigner 9, PDM files cannot be opened as the following error is reported "could not load module: pdpdm9.dll" and "could not load module: pdoom9.dll" I deleted the pdpdm9.dll and pdoom9.dll, then copied from another machine, but the error still remains the same. Anyone has the solution ? This is a tech support case if I ever saw one. It looks like something got hammered in your install. Did you see any errors while you were installing it? Were you logged in as Administrator? You may have to contact Sybase tech support on this one. ...

PowerDesigner
How can I get the Data Dictionary in the PowerDesigner? <Ronald> wrote in message news:43E682E4B7D283D6001D2E2F85256A63.001D2E3C85256A63@webforums... > How can I get the Data Dictionary in the PowerDesigner? Wrong newsgroup. Try powersoft.public.powerdesigner.general. jb ...

Upgrading from PowerDesigner 9.5.2
Hi There My Ct purchased ASIQ 12.5 which does not support the PowerDesigner repository feature, although it is planned for a future release. I would like to upgrade to v11 Enterprise. Would it be technically feasible ? Thanks I don't know, but there should be a way to upgrade your models from V9 to V11. You should be able to find out more by contacting Sybase sales. -- Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase] http://www.datamodel.org mike[at]datamodel[dot]org (can you figure what to change?) Sybase product enhancement requests: http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/su...

PowerDesigner 9.5.2.873
I've had a problem with a trigger calling a proc and getting a -267 error, commit/rollback .... I haven't been able to determine the problem until this: At the end of the proc, I have the following line: end -- end the proc PD writes it like this end -- end the proc; I moved the semicolon to the end statement and my -267 error went away. Does this make sense to any one? Eric The semicolon is not valid but it is unclear why it would result in this error. You should report this to technical support either as a bug or support case. -- Chris Keating Syba...

PowerDesigner
We are currently running PowerDesigner 6.0.0 and 6.1.1.560 on Windows NT and are planning to upgrade to Windows XP in the new year. Are these versions of PowerDesigner compatible with XP or would we need to upgrade or apply patches? They are not certified, but there shouldn't be a problem. Of course, you really should upgrade anyway to take advantage of the newer functionality. -- Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] http://www.datamodel.org mailto:TeamSybase.5.psyclo@spamgourmet.com <G>; <_Tchoryk> wrote in message news:1BBF7C8E5DA9E6CB0072529485256C4D.007...

Web resources about - Model from PowerDesigner 9.5 convert into PowerDesigner 8... - sybase.powerdesigner.general

SAP Enhances PowerDesigner, Supports 'Every Shade of Hybrid'
While doing all it can for its big-business customers, SAP has also been building out a "thoughtful"—and Millennial-friendly—SME strategy.

Data Architecture Professionals
A growing network comprising of Data/Data Warehouse/Solution Architects, IT Specialists, DBAs, Analysts, Managers, Strategists and other professionals ...

Entity–relationship model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An ER model is an abstract way to describe a database . Describing a database usually starts with a relational database , which stores data in ...

Entity-relationship model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In software engineering , an entity-relationship model ( ER model for short) is an abstract and conceptual representation of data . Entity-relationship ...

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网
我的异常网之热门搜索专题提供权威的各类程序问题解决方案,欢迎您的到来。

Welcome - Careerlink.com
Welcome to Careerlink.com, your online resource for posting and finding jobs. Here Job Seekers can browse employment opportunities by career, ...

Sybase debuts Web tools
Sybase is continuing its comeback in the database and development tool market, debuting packages for building intranet and Internet applications. ...

SAP lays out plans to become big player in databases, mobile
SAP made a series of announcements on Tuesday as part of its bid to become a high-profile player in the database market alongside the likes of ...