Generating PowerBuilder Applications from Data Model

A few years ago I used a version of PowerDesigner (perhaps
AppModeller) to generate a functioning PowerBuilder
application directly from a physical data model. It was fine
for editing static data. I now have PowerDesigner 9.5.0 and
want to do it again for static data. I can't find how to do
it in this version of PowerBuilder.
Any ideas?
0
Sean

The functionality of AppModeler was not carried forward to PD 7, 8 or
9.x.

However, using the 9.5.2 release, you are able to generate and reverse
engineer PB extended attributes in the PDM.  In the OOM, you can now
reverse engineer your entire PowerBuilder application and then
regenerate it back to PowerBuilder.

Anthony

On 9 Sep 2003 09:25:55 -0700, Sean Elliott wrote:

>A few years ago I used a version of PowerDesigner (perhaps
>AppModeller) to generate a functioning PowerBuilder
>application directly from a physical data model. It was fine
>for editing static data. I now have PowerDesigner 9.5.0 and
>want to do it again for static data. I can't find how to do
>it in this version of PowerBuilder.
>Any ideas?

0
Anthony
9/9/2003 7:11:38 PM
Talk about babies and bath water.
That was a great feature. So simple.

> The functionality of AppModeler was not carried forward to
> PD 7, 8 or 9.x.
>
> However, using the 9.5.2 release, you are able to generate
> and reverse engineer PB extended attributes in the PDM.
> In the OOM, you can now reverse engineer your entire
> PowerBuilder application and then regenerate it back to
> PowerBuilder.
>

> Anthony
>
> On 9 Sep 2003 09:25:55 -0700, Sean Elliott wrote:
>
> >A few years ago I used a version of PowerDesigner
> (perhaps >AppModeller) to generate a functioning
> PowerBuilder >application directly from a physical data
> model. It was fine >for editing static data. I now have
> PowerDesigner 9.5.0 and >want to do it again for static
> data. I can't find how to do >it in this version of
> PowerBuilder. >Any ideas?

0
Sean
9/10/2003 9:11:57 AM
Does that mean I can use 9.5.2 to generate an application in
the first place or just some user objects? Is there a
document explaining this anywhere?

> The functionality of AppModeler was not carried forward to
> PD 7, 8 or 9.x.
>
> However, using the 9.5.2 release, you are able to generate
> and reverse engineer PB extended attributes in the PDM.
> In the OOM, you can now reverse engineer your entire
> PowerBuilder application and then regenerate it back to
> PowerBuilder.
>

> Anthony
>
> On 9 Sep 2003 09:25:55 -0700, Sean Elliott wrote:
>
> >A few years ago I used a version of PowerDesigner
> (perhaps >AppModeller) to generate a functioning
> PowerBuilder >application directly from a physical data
> model. It was fine >for editing static data. I now have
> PowerDesigner 9.5.0 and >want to do it again for static
> data. I can't find how to do >it in this version of
> PowerBuilder. >Any ideas?

0
Sean
9/10/2003 1:10:11 PM
Yes. PB code will be generated from an Object Model's Class Diagram. It is
described in the documentation. What's left out is that when generating a PB
app for the first time, PD wants an existing Target. (It has been reported).
So you will have to first create a PB target and then generate to PB. They
key to generation is packages. Each package in your object model will
represent a PBL when going forward.

My suggestion is to first generate (or use) a small PB application in PB,
reverse-engineer it into PD and study the resultant class diagram and
classes and you will then have a better feel for the way PD wants you to use
it.

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
VP - Power3

<Sean Elliott> wrote in message news:3f5f22b3.1476.846930886@sybase.com...
> Does that mean I can use 9.5.2 to generate an application in
> the first place or just some user objects? Is there a
> document explaining this anywhere?
>

> > The functionality of AppModeler was not carried forward to
> > PD 7, 8 or 9.x.
> >
> > However, using the 9.5.2 release, you are able to generate
> > and reverse engineer PB extended attributes in the PDM.
> > In the OOM, you can now reverse engineer your entire
> > PowerBuilder application and then regenerate it back to
> > PowerBuilder.
> >

> > Anthony
> >
> > On 9 Sep 2003 09:25:55 -0700, Sean Elliott wrote:
> >
> > >A few years ago I used a version of PowerDesigner
> > (perhaps >AppModeller) to generate a functioning
> > PowerBuilder >application directly from a physical data
> > model. It was fine >for editing static data. I now have
> > PowerDesigner 9.5.0 and >want to do it again for static
> > data. I can't find how to do >it in this version of
> > PowerBuilder. >Any ideas?

0
Bill

PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder modelling
I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find anybody. I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking out the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use this ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros and cons? TIA Arthur http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/106983.htm On 31 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0800, "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch> wrote: >I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find anybody. > >I'm using PowerDe...

Application generation for PowerBuilder
Hello! I'm using PowerDesigner 6.0 for PowerBuilder. Is anybody know the way how I can put more then 2 datawindow in the window over AppModeler? Don't want to leave you hanging, but I'm not a PowerBuilder guru. I'm pretty sure AppModeler can do it, but I'll have to get help to figure out how. Patience, Mike Nicewarner shevchdv wrote in message <01bd1d90$f68bdfe0$323601c2@sdv50>... >Hello! >I'm using PowerDesigner 6.0 for PowerBuilder. >Is anybody know the way how I can put more then 2 datawindow in the window >over AppModeler? >...

Why am I not able to select Updata Existing Physical Data Model option when I want to Generate a physical model?
I have selected my conceptual model and go to generate the physical data model and I am not able to select the Update Existing Physical Data Model. Any ideas why? Do I need to do something special to my logical model or something before I can do that? At this point I only have the database in the tool. I have not set up a repository if that matters. If you did not create a Physical Data Model before you need to do so and choose a DB engine. For the repository, I don't know I don't use it. <Jodie> wrote in message news:CF80427DA375B3310066BC3285256A72.0066BC41...

Why am I not able to select Updata Existing Physical Data Model option when I want to Generate a physical model?
I do currently have a physical model. I created the physical model from my current database and then created my conceptual data model from that. Not that I updated my conceptual model I am not given the option to update my physical model. Hi Jodi, I'm not sure if I understood. You created a conceptual model out of a physical one? Why do you want to update your phys. model from the just created conceptual one? Did you do any changes in the concept. model? No? Then the case would be clear - no updates - no changes. Regards Reinhold. Jodie wrote in message <2A81C1E65E503...

Child entities not showing in generated pages when underlying data source is ADO.NET Entity Data Model
Hi Everyone, I have been playing with ASP.NET Dynamic Data to determine if it can be used for some inhouse data administration over a database I have.  I am using it against an ADO.NET Entity Data Model.  In my model I have a Person entity and a StaffMember Entity.  StaffMember inherits from Person using the table per type mapping model. As far as the ADO.NET Entity Data Model goes, everything is working well.  However, when I run my Dynamic Data application only the Person entity appears in the "Tables" list.  Is there a...

Could I create a Conceptual Data Model from Physical Data Model??
I'm trying PowerDesigner 12 and I wanted to do reverse engineering.. Is it possbile create a Conceptual Data Model from Physical? Thanks in advance!!! Select the Tools\Generate conceptual model menu <Xavi> wrote in message news:4739638d.297c.1681692777@sybase.com... > I'm trying PowerDesigner 12 and I wanted to do reverse > engineering.. > > Is it possbile create a Conceptual Data Model from Physical? > Thanks in advance!!! ...

data exchange between PowerBuilder applications
PowerBuilder 11.5.1 I am looking for a possibility to exchange data between two or more PowerBuilder applications which are all under my control. I tried to use the Send()/Post() functions. I pass the values in the wordParm and longParm respectively. This works fine for numeric data only. But I was not able to pass string data this way. Obviously the String(longParm, "address") Syntax does not work over more than one PowerBuilder application - which actually is no surprise. Is there another way in PowerBuilder to do this (apart from using DDE)? Andi Hi Andi, ...

Powerbuilder application "crashing" another powerbuilder application
This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem for messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002. *************** Hi All, I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B) built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to trigger Dr Watson on App A. There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another function sitting on another main window. That function w...

Generation of PowerBuilder-Application (5.03)
We are generating our applications with Powerbuilder 5.03 using PCode. Normally the application works fine, but during some days the same application aborts (Dr. Watson). Have anybody an idea, why this happens or what can we do to avoid this problem? Thank you very much! On Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:07:39 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "G�nter Bethke" <GIMmbH@T-Online.de> wrote: >We are generating our applications with Powerbuilder 5.03 using PCode. > >Normally the application works fine, but during some days the same >application aborts...

PowerDesigner generation and reverse enginering for PowerBuilder
Hello, All. I have two questions about subj (i'm talk about object-oriented model:). 1. When I generate PowerBuilder-script, i found this problem: if object contain event without event id (e.q. EventID=<None>), then generating script, containing event with eventid <None> !!! But must be generated script with event, containing clear eventid. If I empty EventID field in object operations, then generating function. How can I generate object, containing event without eventid ??? 2. When I reverse enginering from *.pbl (PowerBuilder library), I obtain classes with ope...

PowerDesigner generation and reverse enginering for PowerBuilder
Hello, All. I have two questions about subj (i'm talk about object-oriented model:). 1. When I generate PowerBuilder-script, i found this problem: if object contain event without event id (e.q. EventID=<None>), then generating script, containing event with eventid <None> !!! But must be generated script with event, containing clear eventid. If I empty EventID field in object operations, then generating function. How can I generate object, containing event without eventid ??? 2. When I reverse enginering from *.pbl (PowerBuilder library), I obtain classes with ope...

Exchanging Data Between Two PowerBuilder Applications
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0265_01C4F318.55FDAF30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello. I am trying to figure out a way to send a String from one = running PB application to another running PB application. From my = research so far, it looks like the SendMessage API call comes close, and = I think it might actually do the trick if I were sending a Long instead = of a String. However, I definitely need to send character data, and I = am unable to come up with a solution...

Powerdesigner
We are currently using PowerDesigner 6 to convert an Informix database to Oracle 8i. We were hopimg to generate some test data by creating a script from the existing Informix database using the dictionary/profile option and the database/generate test data option. Unfortunately the options only seem to allow one column of data to be extracted. If more than one column is selected (e.g. select * in the sql window) then the 2nd and subsequent columns are populated with data from the first column. Is this a bug or is there a work around or is there an alternative product that uses P...

Updating data from a view with AppM generated application
Hi When creating web-site from a very simple PDM View in Appmodeller, resulting web pages do not allow updating - although Updateable was toggled on in the model generation options. I understand that updating from some Views may be difficult owing to complexity of the code, and hence may be beyond the software. The test I tried only included one table with two fields. Am I missing something obvious? Regards Tony Pfitzner Tony Pfitzner wrote: > Hi > > When creating web-site from a very simple PDM View in Appmodeller, > resulting web pages do not allow upd...

Web resources about - Generating PowerBuilder Applications from Data Model - sybase.powerdesigner.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles