Can't open my PDM - Can't allocate enough memory !!!

My colleague added a few things in the PDM file that I usually
maintain, and now I can't open it. I get "Can't allocate enough
memory !!!". I press OK, only to get the box again, and again, and
again, and... My colleague can still open it on his machine.
We're using 5.1.1, as we didn't really find 6.0 adding much at all.
(And it seems that 6.0 mutiliates Swedish characters in an existing
model.) However, I have the PowerDesigner 6.0 Demo installed, and
with this I can open the PDM.
The machine itself is running NT4 SP3, is a Pentium Pro with 96 MB,
so I doubt that I'm really running out of memory. I tried a few
tricks, such as copying it to a local disk to eliminate network
problems. I've also uninstalled and re-installed S-Designor.
I searched the support site, and I did find one entry which seemed
to apply. Alas, in this case Powersoft hadn't been able to re-produce
the problem and the folks who had reported the problem had gotten
rid of it when they installed a new NT. I would suppose that my
machine is contaminated with something, but nevertheless I can
open PDMs. The PDM file in question is not a small one, 690 K and
150 tables, then again, there should be bigger data models in this
world.
Any suggestions?
--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se
0

💬 4 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1310 Views

As one who has a very similar situation (NT 4 SP3, PII with 64MB), I wish I
could say I'm having the same problems.  I've got 5.2MB PDMs on both local
and network drives and haven't had many problems with memory, except for
when I'm trying to do too many other things at the same time.  The usual
footprint in memory for my largest model is about 25MB, so 96MB should be
plenty for everything.  However, 5.1.1 might have had some memory problems.
Is your colleague also running 5.1.1?  You did say that he could open this
file?  Strange.
The Swedish character mutilation you mention, have you duplicated this
problem in 6.1?
The closest I've come to you problem is a "Virtual Memory" error that I tend
to get when my drive gets fragmented.  Have you defragged your local drive?
NT is sensitive to this, but it shouldn't cause allocation problems as you
describe.
Let me know and I'll try to help.
Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamPS]

Erland Sommarskog wrote in message ...
>My colleague added a few things in the PDM file that I usually
>maintain, and now I can't open it. I get "Can't allocate enough
>memory !!!". I press OK, only to get the box again, and again, and
>again, and... My colleague can still open it on his machine.
>
>We're using 5.1.1, as we didn't really find 6.0 adding much at all.
>(And it seems that 6.0 mutiliates Swedish characters in an existing
>model.) However, I have the PowerDesigner 6.0 Demo installed, and
>with this I can open the PDM.
>
>The machine itself is running NT4 SP3, is a Pentium Pro with 96 MB,
>so I doubt that I'm really running out of memory. I tried a few
>tricks, such as copying it to a local disk to eliminate network
>problems. I've also uninstalled and re-installed S-Designor.
>
>I searched the support site, and I did find one entry which seemed
>to apply. Alas, in this case Powersoft hadn't been able to re-produce
>the problem and the folks who had reported the problem had gotten
>rid of it when they installed a new NT. I would suppose that my
>machine is contaminated with something, but nevertheless I can
>open PDMs. The PDM file in question is not a small one, 690 K and
>150 tables, then again, there should be bigger data models in this
>world.
>
>Any suggestions?
>--
>Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se

0
Michael
3/13/1998 8:08:56 PM
"Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamPS]" <mnicewar@ibpinc.com> writes:
>However, 5.1.1 might have had some memory problems.
>Is your colleague also running 5.1.1?  You did say that he could open this
>file?  Strange.
I believe he is running 5.1.1 too. In any case, when I reinstalled
S-Designor, I installed 5.1 from the CD, as out server where we have the
upgrade is down. I then downloaded 5.1.1 from the support site, and
the problem persisted.
>The Swedish character mutilation you mention, have you duplicated this
>problem in 6.1?
I considered downloading the 6.1 trial, but I didn't go for it. In
any case, the character mutilation is an ANSI-OEM conversion in
either direction. The problem appears with comments for tables and
columns, (We don't have Swedish names for database entities, so whether
it appears there, I don't know.) It appears to me that the two versions
of S-Designor stores 8-bit chars differently, and version 6 does not
take that in account when reading an old model.
>The closest I've come to you problem is a "Virtual Memory" error that I tend
>to get when my drive gets fragmented.  Have you defragged your local drive?
>NT is sensitive to this, but it shouldn't cause allocation problems as you
>describe.
I will have to look into the fragmentation status on Monday when I'm
back at the office, but I doubt thaht this is the showstopper.
--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se
0
sommar
3/14/1998 4:57:07 PM
Erland Sommarskog (sommar@algonet.se) writes:
>We're using 5.1.1, as we didn't really find 6.0 adding much at all.
>(And it seems that 6.0 mutiliates Swedish characters in an existing
>model.) However, I have the PowerDesigner 6.0 Demo installed, and
>with this I can open the PDM.
To close this issue, I can report that we settled for upgrading to 6.1.
I downloaded the 6.1 trial version, and it does not have the problem
with Swedish characters that the 6.0 demo has.
I have to admit that it is not with the greatest enthusiasm I'm calling
our local agent to order 6.1. The price I was quoted for an upgrade
was certainly not neglible for a single-user licence, and I'm only
doing to get around a problem. (Which might or might to be a bug, it
seems that my NT is contaminated.)
Sure, had 6.1 added substantial value, it would have been a pleasure,
but the way we're using DataArchitect it's mainly cosmetetics. The
fairly clusmy dialogues for tables are mainly unchanged. And I bet,
PowerDesignor 6 will be just as happy to draw line right through boxes,
and move them around and place just were I don't want them. And reports
seems to just as increibly verbose as before.
However, I need to access the data model, and the alternative would
be to reinstall my machine, and that is likely to cost my employer
more money in the end, than a new license.
--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se
0
sommar
3/17/1998 1:51:29 PM
I sympathize with you, Erland.  Because of the number of people who are
disgruntled by the pricing structure for PowerDesigner, I will push the
issue and see what I can do.  No promises or anything, but I am familiar
with the bugs and enhancements that haven't been addressed in the last few
releases and I'm just as frustrated as you are.
Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamPS]
Database Analyst
IBP, Inc.