% causing havoc for Oracle procedure code

When I have a % in Oracle procedure code, like defining a PL/SQL variable
as a %type variable to reference a table column for its definition some odd
results occur in the code generation.  Every line after the one containing
the %type is signifigantly indented until another % is encountered.  I
think PowerDesigner may be trying to treat the %type as a Powerdesigner
variable of the form
%variable_name%
Anybody else run into this and know how to get PowerDesigner to stop
messing with the generated code?
0
Don_Wolf

The "%" sign is a reserved character in PowerDesigner.  So, you may
try doubling up, tripling up or even quadruple up on the "%" sign in
the procedure code.  (ie)  %%type or %%%type or even %%%%type...

HTH

Mike

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:56:29 -0500, Don_Wolf wrote:

>When I have a % in Oracle procedure code, like defining a PL/SQL variable
>as a %type variable to reference a table column for its definition some odd
>results occur in the code generation.  Every line after the one containing
>the %type is signifigantly indented until another % is encountered.  I
>think PowerDesigner may be trying to treat the %type as a Powerdesigner
>variable of the form
>%variable_name%
>Anybody else run into this and know how to get PowerDesigner to stop
>messing with the generated code?

0
mbartrum

I'm using the % sign (as modulo) too in PD, but for MS SQL Server.
It has the same affect, is there no way around this "bug".
I can understand problems with internaly used variables (wich are surrounded
by %'s), but a cople of single %'s??

Thanks,
  Gert-Jan

"Mike" <mbartrum@sybase.com> schreef in bericht
> The "%" sign is a reserved character in PowerDesigner.  So, you may
> try doubling up, tripling up or even quadruple up on the "%" sign in
> the procedure code.  (ie)  %%type or %%%type or even %%%%type...
>
> HTH
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:56:29 -0500, Don_Wolf wrote:
>
> >When I have a % in Oracle procedure code, like defining a PL/SQL variable
> >as a %type variable to reference a table column for its definition some
odd
> >results occur in the code generation.  Every line after the one
containing
> >the %type is signifigantly indented until another % is encountered.  I
> >think PowerDesigner may be trying to treat the %type as a Powerdesigner
> >variable of the form
> >%variable_name%
> >Anybody else run into this and know how to get PowerDesigner to stop
> >messing with the generated code?

0
Gert
2/13/2003 11:10:16 AM
This whole mess with the percent symbols is a pain in the neck.  Please take
a moment and report this as a bug to Sybase.  There are so many places where
you need to use the percent sign in the code that Sybase can't legitimately
usurp the symbol.  The user needs to be able to use it.  That means the
parser needs to be smart enough to understand the difference between "%type"
and "%COMMENT%".

--
Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
http://www.datamodel.org

"Gert-Jan Klanderman" <g.klanderman@re-base.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the % sign (as modulo) too in PD, but for MS SQL Server.
> It has the same affect, is there no way around this "bug".
> I can understand problems with internaly used variables (wich are
surrounded
> by %'s), but a cople of single %'s??
>
> Thanks,
>   Gert-Jan
>

> "Mike" <mbartrum@sybase.com> schreef in bericht
> > The "%" sign is a reserved character in PowerDesigner.  So, you may
> > try doubling up, tripling up or even quadruple up on the "%" sign in
> > the procedure code.  (ie)  %%type or %%%type or even %%%%type...
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:56:29 -0500, Don_Wolf wrote:
> >
> > >When I have a % in Oracle procedure code, like defining a PL/SQL
variable
> > >as a %type variable to reference a table column for its definition some
> odd
> > >results occur in the code generation.  Every line after the one
> containing
> > >the %type is signifigantly indented until another % is encountered.  I
> > >think PowerDesigner may be trying to treat the %type as a Powerdesigner
> > >variable of the form
> > >%variable_name%
> > >Anybody else run into this and know how to get PowerDesigner to stop
> > >messing with the generated code?

0
Mike

I reported the bug with sybase.
And that creates another question.
I have now reported to sybase: 2 "bugs". (one is now open for a month)
Both cases are open, and waiting...
What is the normal routine at sybase? Do I ever get a reaction at all? If
so, How?, or??

Thanks,
  gert-jan

"Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" <psyclo@NO_SPAM_datamodel.org> schreef in
bericht news:ECJfkM#0CHA.199@forums.sybase.com...
> This whole mess with the percent symbols is a pain in the neck.  Please
take
> a moment and report this as a bug to Sybase.  There are so many places
where
> you need to use the percent sign in the code that Sybase can't
legitimately
> usurp the symbol.  The user needs to be able to use it.  That means the
> parser needs to be smart enough to understand the difference between
"%type"
> and "%COMMENT%".
>
> --
> Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> http://www.datamodel.org
> mailto:psyclo@NO_SPAM.datamodel.org
>

> "Gert-Jan Klanderman" <g.klanderman@re-base.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using the % sign (as modulo) too in PD, but for MS SQL Server.
> > It has the same affect, is there no way around this "bug".
> > I can understand problems with internaly used variables (wich are
> surrounded
> > by %'s), but a cople of single %'s??
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   Gert-Jan
> >

> > "Mike" <mbartrum@sybase.com> schreef in bericht
> > > The "%" sign is a reserved character in PowerDesigner.  So, you may
> > > try doubling up, tripling up or even quadruple up on the "%" sign in
> > > the procedure code.  (ie)  %%type or %%%type or even %%%%type...
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Mike

> variable
> > odd
> > containing
Powerdesigner

0
Gert
2/18/2003 3:40:18 PM
Bugs do not get feedback unless Sybase needs more information.  If you pay
to open a case, they are required to give you feedback.  Then again, I have
opened a number of cases and many stay open for months, if not years.  The
difference is that I get confirmation and progress report emails from Sybase
concerning the cases.  They are working as fast as they can.  For the
percent issue, you are one of many who are reporting the problem, but the
code change involved is very difficult.  My guess is that it will take a
long time to fix, I'm afraid.