XMLParseFile: Validating XML File Against XML Schema

I am having problems using the XMLParseFile function to
validate an XML file against an XML Schema generated by a
source external to our organization.

The XML file and XML Schema are stored locally in the same
directory.

Scenario as follows:

1.   Schema received as an Email attachment from an outside
      source (i.e. external to our organization).

2.   Attachment saved to disk:

      C:\myDirectory\schemaDoc.xsd

3.   XML file generated from an external source datawindow
using
      SaveAs method:

      C:\myDirectory\xmlDoc.xml

4.    XMLParseFile first used to check XML document for
being well-       formed (XML document has no reference to
schema):

       ls_fullpath = C:\myDirectory\xmlDoc.xml

       ll_return = XMLParseFile(ls_fullpath)

       Return code of 0 indicated that XML document
well-formed.

5.    Reference to schema included in XML document and
       XMLParseFile used for validation.

       ll_return = XMLParseFile(ls_fullpath, ValAlways!,
ls_error,
                                             True, True,
True)

       -1 was the return code.

       Powerbuilder Help states that -1 indicates a parsing
error.

       Help also states that 'if the XML document fails
validation or is
       not well-formed XMLParseFile returns -1'.

       Step 4 indicated that XML file was well-formed.

       Why did validation fail?

       Was the XSD file (coming from an outside source) not
well
       formed?

6.    XSD file was tested for being well-formed as part of
       the debugging process.

       ls_fullpath = 'C:\myDirectory\schemaDoc.xsd'

       ll_return = XMLParseFile(ls_fullpath)

7.    Execution of XMLParseFile generated error message:

      " Error parsing XML document......
       ...The primary document entity could not be opened:
       ID='C:\myDirectory\schemaDoc.xsd'  "

Schema:

       <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
      -<xsd:schema
          xmlns:res="http//www.website.com/res"
          targetNamespace="http//www.website.com/res"
          elementFormDefault="qualified"
          attributeFormDefault="unqualified"

XML Document:

       <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
standalone="no"?>
      -<res:myDoc attribute1="value1"
          xmlns:res="http//www.website.com/res"

          attribute2="value2" attribute3='value3"
          xsi:schemaLocation="http//www.website.com/res"
schemaDoc.xsd"
          attribute3="value3">

I am working with PowerBuilder 9.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
PGill
1/31/2005 3:32:42 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.xml 546 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I'm work with Power Builder 9 and I am importing data from XML file to
datawindow, but the parse error -11 appear. In my machine of development
it works well, but in the server of the application it returns this
error. Could you all help me in this?
0
Tiago
12/6/2005 5:26:57 PM
Possibly a path issue?  Are you sure the required dll files for XML stuff are in your path on the server machine?

Doug Porter
DailyAccess Corporation

"Tiago PB" <tiago.marcelino@quantiza.com> wrote in message news:4395c9e1$1@forums-1-dub...
> I'm work with Power Builder 9 and I am importing data from XML file to
> datawindow, but the parse error -11 appear. In my machine of development
> it works well, but in the server of the application it returns this
> error. Could you all help me in this?

0
Doug

Validating XML file with XML schema
I want to be able to edit an XML file in browser. I open the XML file, read its contents and put it into a multi-line textbox for the user to edit it. Now, when the user wants to save the changes by pressing the save -button, I want to check if the XML data still is valid. For this I think the XML schema is perfect, right? Now, how can I write an function that takes a string parameter (which contains the whole XML file data from the textbox) and validates it against a schema file? I created the schema by passing a 100% valid XML file to the Visual Studio┬┤s "Create Schema" tool. The...

Xml Schema from xml file
How should i create xml schema from xml file?  Do you mean an XSD?  That's easy--open the XML file in Visual Studio.  There will be a new XML menu button, and one option is to create an XSD.  If you have a lot of files, MS has a little tool at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/bb840042.aspx.If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.Crystal AllianceMy BlogFlorist Blogs  Thanks alot!!  It worked wonderfully...

Xml schema to Xml file
Is it possible to convert xml schema to xml file.How can i do read&writexmlschema using a dataset with xml schema. I converted a xml file to xml schema in a web appliction project.Then what should be location of shema that i need to give for a dataset I mean dataset.readxmlscheme(server.mappath(??))   Please let me know I am new to this field     dataset.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("xml\ProductList.xml")) will read the xml as well as the schema of thexml file. no need to convert it into schema file while using dataset as it will automatically define the ...

XML Transform to 1 XML file to another XML File
Hello All  I am a novice programmer. I want to transform 1 xml file to another xml file. I am looking for a example code where user will select source xml file and create another xml file in different file with different fields with some default validation of parsing date and default values.  Can anyone help me or let me know any available source code in C#/ASP.Net?  Ms Disha I am assuming you know xslt, if not, you would have to go look at that.  But if you do, then this document will help you out http://www.csharpfriends.com/Articles/getArticle.aspx?articleID=...

XML in, XML out
Hi All (and a happy holiday to those that will get a break), I am trying to read in an XML file of addresses. I need to remove all the address data from the file where code =~ /^000/ (there are none in the example data below). I need to reproduce that data 'as is', so I need to honour the tag structure, although the order of the tags doesn't need to be honoured. I have been trying to use XML::Simple and I had a go with XML::Smart but I haven't been able to get the results I want. My best effort is below (with XML::Simple). There are a couple of differences ...

XMl to XML

Use an XML Schema to validate an XML files that contains includes.
Is there a way to validate an XML file that is made up by including several other XML files using an XML schema?     Yes, you need to set the included schemas with XmlSchema.Includes property. Pls take a look at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.schema.xmlschema.includes.aspxNOTE:If you find my response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site, I am providing this information as a convenience to you.Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore,Microsoft cannot make any...

How to convert XML file into XML Schema
How to convert XML file into XML SchemaAzharPirana Dargah I am not sure it makes sense to "convert" an XML file into an XML schema. What makes sense and what you can do is "infer" a schema from an XML instance document. Visual Studio can do that for you for example, as can other XML editors. If you want to do it programmatically in the .NET framework then you can do it since .NET 2.0 with the class http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.schema.xmlschemainference.aspxMartin Honnen --- MVP XMLMy blog hi Azhar, Open a xml file uasing Visual Studio. Now yo...

create an xml schema from an xml file
Hello, I need to write an application that uses a xml file that i create and make a xml schema based on that file. I have a seperate company that is sending us the xml file and i want to get the info from the file and put it into a database. However, they need the my schema. I am reading up on how to use the DataSet.Writexml() and DataSet.WriteXmlSchema(). I know that there is some way of getting the data from the xml file using a DataSet, but i dont understand how. Has anyone done something similar to this that could help me at least get started? Thanks Dev Djinnx-Dev DjinnxWeb Develop...

XML Schema not Validating XML Fragment
I'm trying to validate the following xml  fragment (Figure A.) against a schema document (Figure B.) that i have created and tested through a seperate XML Validator utility that so i know that the validation works outside of the asp.net code (Figure C.). The validation does return XML exceptions for well-formed stcructure but doesn't return any schema validation exceptions if i force an error in the xml. Any ideas why the XML fragment isn't being validated by the schema??? I've tried just about everything :( ========================= A. XML Fragment to Validate =========...

XML Schema and two XML files.
There is the situation... 1.) I have an XML schema file. 2.) I have an XML file that does not conform to the schema file, but contains data that I want to force to conform to the XML schema. So I have a set of XML from point A in it's own particular XML format. Then I have a desired XML format in which I want the XML to conform to. I am just wondering what the best way to implement this is. I figured I could just write a stylesheet that will convert XML A to XML B. Is there a way to use the schema and a mapping scheme through .NET to do this work for me? Thanks in advance ...

how to generate xml schema automatically from any xml file ?
i want to is there any buil in classes by which i can generate xml schema automatically instead of writing xml schema manually. if it is possible then please help me with source code. Hi, xsd.exe tool in the Framework SDK is capable to do this (to certain limit though). See the documentation for it.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU...

How to convert XML file into XML Schema PLEASE HELP!!!!
Hi, How can I convert an XML file to XML schema PLEASE HELP!!!! byeHighOnCodingWanna get high! What do you mean by convert to XML Schema, do you mean infer the XML Schema from an specific XML document? If you have VS.NET it can infer the schema from an XML document. Hi, i have a xml file and I want to write schema for that file. I hope u this helps and thanks for the Quick Reply. byeHighOnCodingWanna get high! You can use one tool in gotdotnet to do that: http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/xsdinference/Default.aspx There is also a tool for infering x...

XML content in a XML file
I have a requirement where I want to retrieve data from XML file.The concern is the data that has to be retrieved, it is again a XML data.e.g the following format is required<Gorups>   <Gorup>      <value>Some XML content</value>   </Gorup></Gorups>Thanks in advance Hello  Deepasmi, Are you facing problem in retrieval of specific xml node from xml file. Still problem is unclear.My Blog: DotNetError@BhatiaWorldDont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.T...

Web resources about - XMLParseFile: Validating XML File Against XML Schema - sybase.powerbuilder.xml