PB Web Application and Web Server Setup

Is there anywhere I can get information on hardware/software logistics of
putting a Web PB app on the internet?

Being new to the distributed pb and web pb development, we are trying to get
our feet wet, working with Cervenka's book.  We will probably start with an
intranet app, which may include remote clients using Novell's Netware
Connect (over phone lines).  Right now, most of our questions deal with the
hardware/software setup of the server pieces and I understand there are many
different possibilities.  Eventually, we want to put an app out on the net.
Traffic will be light, but some of our data is highly confidential.

Novell offers the Netscape Enterprise Server for Netware and is a free
download.  It could act as our Web Server, running on a Netware file server,
different from the one running our Sybase SQL Anywhere database server.  But
we cannot run PB at the Novell Console, so our distributed PB App Server
will have to run on a Windows95 or NT machine, right? (unless we went with a
UNIX version of PB and WebServer)

Later, when we want to hook to the internet, shouldn't the pb app server we
write be on the firewall?  Could we have a firewall like Novell's
BorderManager allowing access only to an NT Workstation client (acting as
the Application Server) and the Netscape/Netware Web Server.  Only the NT
workstation running the App Server would hit the database server.

Can anyone offer some examples of how the servers should be laid out?  I
suppose the O'Reilly WebSite would even work fine for the intranet step,
right?  From what I understand, any WebServer as long as it supports CGI
will work if it can handle the traffic.

TIA

0
Brad
4/9/1999 8:18:04 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.web-pb 1541 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:18:04 -0500,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.web-pb
Brad Treybig <treybigb@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Novell offers the Netscape Enterprise Server for Netware and is a free
>download.  It could act as our Web Server, running on a Netware file server,
>different from the one running our Sybase SQL Anywhere database server.  But
>we cannot run PB at the Novell Console, so our distributed PB App Server
>will have to run on a Windows95 or NT machine, right? (unless we went with a
>UNIX version of PB and WebServer)

AFAIK, the web.pb gateway needs to run on the webserver, out of it's CGI
directory.  That gateway is an executable, and only runs on NT and some
flavors of Unix.  So your webserver needs to be on those platforms to use
Web.PB.

>Later, when we want to hook to the internet, shouldn't the pb app server we
>write be on the firewall?  Could we have a firewall like Novell's
>BorderManager allowing access only to an NT Workstation client (acting as
>the Application Server) and the Netscape/Netware Web Server.  Only the NT
>workstation running the App Server would hit the database server.

Your clients would need to have to be able to access the web server.  It's
the web server that is accessing the DPB app, not the client.  So the DPB
app should be running inside the firewall, unless you want clients to be
able to access it directly as a DPB app.

>I suppose the O'Reilly WebSite would even work fine for the intranet step,
>right?  From what I understand, any WebServer as long as it supports CGI
>will work if it can handle the traffic.

O'Reilly Pro is what I use.  With the execption noted above (the web server
has to run on a platform that web.pb supports), you can use any web server
that supports CGI.  Note that CGI is reported to be slower than the API
approach used for the Netscape and Microsoft web servers though.

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html
0
Bruce

Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web server software
The PB 7 "About the Internet Tools" Help mentions "Additional freeware components...available via FTP that you can use to develop Web.PB applications". Does anyone know where these are? (Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web server software).Thanks. Try: http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001660 On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:44:58 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.web-pb Rich Walz <rich@cse-armerica.com> wrote: >The PB 7 "About the Internet Tools" Help mentions "Additional freeware >components...avail...

Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web Server software
The PB 7 "About the Internet Tools" Help mentions "Additional freeware components...available via FTP that you can use to develop Web.PB applications". Does anyone know where these are? (Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web server software). Thanks. ...

web web web

Web.PB and Personal-Web-Server
I want to use the powerbuilder internt tools, especially the web.pb tool. My PB runs on a win 98 maschine without an internet server, so I start the personal-web-server from Powerdynamo and the CGI-Helper. Now I have to copy the web.pb tools "pbcgi70.exe" ( and dlls ) to an folder where the web-server expects to find CGI - programs. But how does this work with the personal-web-server. Which folder and where can I change the properties of the personal-web-server (pws) The pws runs great with PowerDynamo but if i try to test a html page with the commen Internet-Explorer (...

Config. Web Server (Web.pb)
Hi all, I try to configure the web server (IIS) : 1) create dir c:\wwwroot\cgi-shl 2) IP addres 10.10.10.101 to www.alasa.com (server identity) 3) Map c:\wwwroot\cgi-shl to CGI programs 4) Map c:\wwwroot to html docs and it does not work (error the url not found) Please some help me, thanks a lot. PD: Only works in localhost.. ...

WEB hosting of WEB.PB application
We want to find a ISP who will host our WEB.PB application with server program and database. If anybody has some experience or could help us find a proper ISP please contact us. e-mail spavle@hotmail.com Sincerly Pavle Spoljaric Zagreb, Croatia You might check with Dean Jones of PowerTeam (www.powerobjects.com). In addition to being a PB consultant, member of TeamPS, yadda, yadda, yadda, he is also an ISP. I know he's talked about installing Jaguar on one of his servers and offering Jaguar as a service to his customers. Given his rabid support of Distributed PB (h...

Web.PB and Apache web server
Somebody have sucessfully used an apache web server with the Web.PB under Win95. I'm currently trying to use this together but hadn't succes. I'm looking for some help to do this. Jonny ...

Microsoft Personal Web Server for Web.PB
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------E30EB5010316480D3D2170DB Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit For running Web.PB a web server is required. Having a web server on windows'95 is now possible with Microsoft Personal Web Server. But installation and uninstallation are bit dirty. To download it try with some ftp tool like gozilla or cuteftp and download from some alternate site other than microsoft.com if you are not having dedicated connection to save time. I tried it and it is working fine. To uninstall PWS you ha...

Dynamo Personal Web-server and Web.PB
Does anyone know if we can use the Personal Web-server which comes with PowerDynamo as a web-server for Web.PB? If yes, to which directory should I copy the Web.PB program files? TIA. Flavio Uemura You can't do it. It does not support CGI, ISAPI, NSAPI, etc. It hooks into the PD dll directly. Carson ________________________________________________ Carson Hager Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. Team Powersoft http://www.dyn-data.com CPD Professional Microsoft Certified Professional ...

Requirements for web server when using web.pb???
We are looking at using web.pb for a project. I know that the distributed app will need to be on a NT or 95 machine but does it matter what kind of box the the web server is on. Can the pbcgi050.exe be on a web server that is on something other than windows 95 or NT? Thanks in Advance, Jason Hmm, that's a good question....my guess is that IIS, Website etc would only run on NT/95 platforms. What platforms were you thinking of? On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:13:00 -0500, "Jason McBride" <jmcbride@teubner.com> wrote: >We are looking at using web.pb for a project...

Configure Oracle Web server for web.pb
I am trying to configure a Oracle Web server running on a UNIX box for wb.pb. Does anybody have experience doing this. Will the pbcgi050.exe work on a UNIX box. Thanks, John On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:33:34 -0400, John Shakour <jshakour@cablevision.com> wrote: >I am trying to configure a Oracle Web server running on a UNIX box for >wb.pb. Does anybody have experience doing this. Will the pbcgi050.exe >work on a UNIX box. I have not done this but my understanding has been you need to have PB for UNIX in order to get the PBCGI050.EXE piece to work on a UNIX server. My...

Web.pb & Novell Web Server
Hi all! Our company is just starting to dabble into web applications. We've recently (yesterday) installed Novell Web Server 3.1. Now (as proof of concept) I'm trying to migrate the Internet Developer Toolkit tutorial from WebSite (on my local NT4.0) to the Novell. Dose anyone have a nice step-by-step "How to" for this. (i.e., Which ..CFG files need what changes? Which subdirectories does pbcgi050.exe need to go? etc.) Thanks... D. Fletcher ...

WEB.PB OR WEB.SQL ?
Hello, I will begin a web-based development project. The project consists of a web-server(IIS4), Dbase-Server (Sybase SQL 11) , OS (NT4 Server) and PB5004. Internet users can view WebPages by standard browsers. The user will enter data into a form on the WebPages. The data or SQL statement are submitted to a dbase server for calculation. The result set and computed values are returned to WebPages and viewed by user's browsers. I thank that Web.pb may be answer for this project. However Web.sql also can do this kind job. I want to know "What are the difference between t...

WEB.SQL or WEB.PB
Hello, I will begin a web-based development project. The project consists of a web-server(IIS4), Dbase-Server (Sybase SQL 11) , OS (NT4 Server) and PB5004. Internet users can view WebPages by standard browsers. The user will enter data into a form on the WebPages. The data or SQL statement are submitted to a dbase server for calculation. The result set and computed values are returned to WebPages and viewed by user's browsers. I thank that Web.pb may be answer for this project. However Web.sql also can do this kind job. I want to know "What are the difference between t...

Web resources about - PB Web Application and Web Server Setup - sybase.powerbuilder.web-pb

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

LED market saturation to drive industry to seek profits in new applications in 2016, says LEDinside
According to LEDinside, LED makers had an especially tough year in 2015. "Despite rising LED lighting market demand and the large scale replacement ...