PFC and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0

I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0.  This
application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm.
As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application.

I have heard good things about the PFC.  From I understand this is the new
preferred way to develop apps.  I have only heard about the PFC, and have
not coded in it.

I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to
finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes.  Is it
worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can I pick and choose
PFC features or is it better to use all of the PFC?

I am interested in any opinions.
Thank you.

Mark Warrick
mwarrick@en.com

Mike,

PFC is nearly all or nothing. You can pull some features/services out of it
but there is quite a bit of coupling between the objects. I would recommend
against trying to add pieces. However, feel free to steal code for cool
features you find.

Its best to start an application from the start with PFC then to try to
migrate to the PFC. It requires a large rewrite anyway.

Regards,
John Olson [TeamPS]
Developower, Inc.

M Warrick <mwarrick@en.com> wrote in article
<vNoyQNrc9GA.128@forums.powersoft.com>...
> I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0.  This
> application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting
firm.
> As you may expect they used their own framework to create this
application.

> I have heard good things about the PFC.  From I understand this is the
new
> preferred way to develop apps.  I have only heard about the PFC, and have
> not coded in it.
>
> I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to
> finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes.  Is it
> worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can I pick and choose
> PFC features or is it better to use all of the PFC?
>
> I am interested in any opinions.
> Thank you.
>
> Mark Warrick
> mwarrick@en.com

0
John

pfc and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0
I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0. This application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm. As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application. I have heard good things about the PFC. From I understand this is the new preferred way to develop apps. I have only heard about the PFC, and have not coded in it. I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes. Is it worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can...

Q: Migrating from PB 4.0 to PB 7.0
Hello, I'm about to attempt the migration of a PB 4.0 application to PB 7.0 and I was wondering if there are any gotcha's I should know about before I begin. The application is a medium sized, non-pfc based client-server application that connects to Oracle 8 and is deployed as an .exe. The system stats are as follows: 5 menu items 9 user objects 17 windows 89 datawindows 2 structures 4 functions Any advice? I've migrated quite a few applications from one version to another, but never one that spans 3 versions... TIA, Bobby R Please post to the corr...

Q:Migration from PB 4.0 to PB 7.0
Hello, I'm about to attempt the migration of a PB 4.0 application to PB 7.0 and I was wondering if there are any gotcha's I should know about before I begin. The application is a medium sized, non-pfc based client-server application that connects to Oracle 8 and is deployed as an .exe. The system stats are as follows: 5 menu items 9 user objects 17 windows 89 datawindows 2 structures 4 functions Any advice? I've migrated quite a few applications from one version to another, but never one that spans 3 versions... TIA, Bobby R Bobby, The things th...

Migrating from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0
Hi, I have some questions regarding migrating from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0 1) I am migrating a PB 5.0.4 application to PB 7.0. When I migrated the application, I got some warnings and Informational messages. I also got one error message in a user object : Error : C0181 : The argument to SetNull cannot be an autoinstantiate or structure. The argument I have is a structure instance. Is there another function I can use instead ? 2) This application also uses the funcky library. I was wondering what is a better substitute for these in 7.0. 3) Stephen Dupre also mentioned in on...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

Migration from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0.1
Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't have in PB 5.0.4. Thank you Build 7021 for PB 7.0.1 from the Sybase website worked. Thanks for Help! Robert Wren, Jr. <rwren@home.com> wrote in message news:nUQVd1FX$GA.177@forums.sybase.com... > Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am > having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't > have in PB 5.0.4. > > Thank you > > ...

PB 6.5 to PB 8.0 (PFC Migration)
Recently we got PB 8.0 upgrade version and we are planning to move from our large scale PB 6.5 code to PB 8.0. (1) I have migrated part of the code and ran it and works without any problem. (2) Now I need to plan to move our PFC of PB 6.5 to PB 8.0. I have searched sybase site and couldn't able to find anywhere a guide like we had for PB 5.0 to PB 6.5 migration guide. If you have come across any, please send me the url. Thanks and appreciate ur help on this. Check the release notes in the Program Files/Sybase/Powerbuilder X.0/PFC/readmeX0.txt file (where X is the PB major v...

PB 5.0.4 migration to PB 7.0.2 issue
I'm trying to help a colleague solve a problem she is having in a fairly complex application. Of course, the application works fine using PB 5.0.4, but after migrating, a sheet which opens a modal window is not stopping to wait for the modal window's result. If I create a simple modal window and open it from the sheet, it does the same thing. If I create a simple sheet and open the modal window from that sheet it works properly. I've done the regens and optimizations. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?! Also if you have any s...

PB 4.0.03 & PB 6.0.0 issues
I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS READING PB PRODUCTS: 1. WE HAVE USED PB 4.0.03 ENTERPRISE FOR YEARS NOW, ARE THERE PATCHES FOR Y2K CONCERNS THAT WE CAN DOWNLOAD? 2. WE HAVE ALSO PB 6.0.0 PROFESSIONAL, AND ENCOUNTERED SOME ODBC 4.0 GLITCHES RELATING TO MS-ACCESS 97 ("... Program type out of range ..."), ARE THERE PATCHES ALSO FOR THESE CONCERNS AND Y2K ISSUES. I read a response pointing where to find the different patches. I did not see though any patches specific to PB 4.0.03 and PB 6.0.0. I would great...

Migrating to PB 8.0 from PB 6.5 and using PFC
Hello, My company is considering moving to PB 8.0 very soon. We have already spoken with a sales rep but I would like clarification on one thing. At least two of our apps make use of PFC with regular PB 6.5 code. When we upgrade to PB 8.0 do we need to purchase an upgrade for our PFC code as well or is that already bundled with the PB 8.0 upgrade. Thanks, Teresa Brinkley 8.0 ships with the PFC libraries - but that's part of the "custom" install. During the install process, you have to select "Custom", and check ON the PFC checkbox. -- Paul Hora...

Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0?
Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0? In present project current code hierarchy is like: PB 8 code � PFC 8 � own customize PFC 8 ( convert all object like n_cst_dataawareattrib --ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib)� own customize PFE 8 ( but no change in basic object names) Client customizes all object of PFC 8 like this "ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib" and in PFE object are like "n_cst_dataawareattrib". What will be best approach to migrate it? PB 8 code (migrate to PB 11) � PFC 8 (replace with PFC 11) � Own cust...

Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0?
Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0? In present project current code hierarchy is like: PB 8 code � PFC 8 � own customize PFC 8 ( convert all object like n_cst_dataawareattrib --ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib)� own customize PFE 8 ( but no change in basic object names) Client customizes all object of PFC 8 like this "ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib" and in PFE object are like "n_cst_dataawareattrib". What will be best approach to migrate it? PB 8 code (migrate to PB 11) � PFC 8 (replace with PFC 11) � Own customi...

Web resources about - PFC and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.pfc

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pope Francis urges review of migration laws to welcome refugees
... and indifferent to the tragedies facing humanity. Vatican City: Pope Francis on Tuesday called on countries to review their laws on migration ...

The human migration out of Africa left its mark in mutations
(credit: Wikimedia Commons ) When it comes to evolution, people tend to focus on the big driving force of natural selection, which latches on ...

PAUL RYAN WHINES: Cruz and Sessions Lying About Omnibus Funding New Wave of Muslim Migration
... as “a great victory for the principles Democrats stand for.” Ryan specifically condemned what he termed “hyperbole” surrounding immigration ...

Merkel-Enhanced Migration Problem: Million Refugees Hit Europe, 80% Through Greece by Boat; Turkish Mafia ...
... So why isn't anything concrete being done? Why the Problem Is Not Fixed If Turkey, Greece, or Germany really wanted to solve the migration ...

Website migration guide: a Google Analytics & Tag Manager checklist
Hopping on the bandwagon started by Stephen Kenwright’s blog post on website migration for SEO . From that you know that if a site migration ...

Sex assaults inflame Germany’s migration battle
Scores of alleged sexual assaults against German women have added another dimension to the country’ s fraught debate over migration. The FT reports. ...

It’s Official: Migration Into Europe Hits WWII Levels
It’s Official: Migration Into Europe Hits WWII Levels

Ancient DNA Traces Irish Roots To Mass Migrations
Geneticists and archaeologists have teamed up to trace the heritage of the Irish all the way to the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

Questions and answers about Europe's migration crisis as 2015 arrivals top 1 million
One million — and counting. BRUSSELS – One million — and counting. The International Organization for Migration says its statistics show the ...