PB 9 to PB 10 migration

Hi,
There seem to be a number of threads on this previously, but
having read them I'm still not having any success.

I've taken a copy of my app, our corporate later, and the
PFC 10 pbls. I then migrate the target. (I've tried with and
without the "convert DBCS" option).

The migration completes okay, but when I run the app, I get
"Cannot assign object of type n_cst_platformunicode to
object of type n_cst_platformwin32... in function
f_setplatform()..."

Now, this sounds similar but perhaps not entirely the same
as other peoples issues.

Comparing the code and the error it doesn't quite add up.
The code is trying to assign type n_cst_platformunicode to
n_cst_platform, not to n_cst_platformwin32.

Any clues gratefully received...
thank you.
0
James

f_setplatform accepts an argument of n_cst_platform type, but you are
probably passing it a variable declared as  n_cst_platformwin32 vs
n_cst_platform.

On 8 Dec 2005 04:35:53 -0800, James Rowe wrote:

>Hi,
>There seem to be a number of threads on this previously, but
>having read them I'm still not having any success.
>
>I've taken a copy of my app, our corporate later, and the
>PFC 10 pbls. I then migrate the target. (I've tried with and
>without the "convert DBCS" option).
>
>The migration completes okay, but when I run the app, I get
>"Cannot assign object of type n_cst_platformunicode to
>object of type n_cst_platformwin32... in function
>f_setplatform()..."
>
>Now, this sounds similar but perhaps not entirely the same
>as other peoples issues.
>
>Comparing the code and the error it doesn't quite add up.
>The code is trying to assign type n_cst_platformunicode to
>n_cst_platform, not to n_cst_platformwin32.
>
>Any clues gratefully received...
>thank you.

0
Boris
12/8/2005 2:28:57 PM
You are quite right!
A case of the "Error 1: Duff code."
Not mine of course. ;-)

Many thanks.

> f_setplatform accepts an argument of n_cst_platform type,
> but you are probably passing it a variable declared as
> n_cst_platformwin32 vs n_cst_platform.
>

> On 8 Dec 2005 04:35:53 -0800, James Rowe wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >There seem to be a number of threads on this previously,
> but >having read them I'm still not having any success.
> >
> >I've taken a copy of my app, our corporate later, and the
> >PFC 10 pbls. I then migrate the target. (I've tried with
> and >without the "convert DBCS" option).
> >
> >The migration completes okay, but when I run the app, I
> get  >"Cannot assign object of type n_cst_platformunicode
> to >object of type n_cst_platformwin32... in function
> >f_setplatform()..."
> >
> >Now, this sounds similar but perhaps not entirely the
> same >as other peoples issues.
> >
> >Comparing the code and the error it doesn't quite add up.
> >The code is trying to assign type n_cst_platformunicode
> to >n_cst_platform, not to n_cst_platformwin32.
> >
> >Any clues gratefully received...
> >thank you.

0
James
12/9/2005 9:08:04 AM
I am!?  I love it when I throw darts out there and one of them lands
on the board. <g>

The other surprise worth mentioning is twice in the last 4 months I
was able to migrate large pb pfc projects to PB 10 / PFC 10 with just
a few minor tweaks.  About to do the same PB Easerver project in
Jan-Feb...  I kinda expect it go event-free now.

On 9 Dec 2005 01:08:04 -0800, James Rowe wrote:

>You are quite right!
>A case of the "Error 1: Duff code."
>Not mine of course. ;-)
>
>Many thanks.
>
>> f_setplatform accepts an argument of n_cst_platform type,
>> but you are probably passing it a variable declared as
>> n_cst_platformwin32 vs n_cst_platform.
>>

>> On 8 Dec 2005 04:35:53 -0800, James Rowe wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >There seem to be a number of threads on this previously,
>> but >having read them I'm still not having any success.
>> >
>> >I've taken a copy of my app, our corporate later, and the
>> >PFC 10 pbls. I then migrate the target. (I've tried with
>> and >without the "convert DBCS" option).
>> >
>> >The migration completes okay, but when I run the app, I
>> get  >"Cannot assign object of type n_cst_platformunicode
>> to >object of type n_cst_platformwin32... in function
>> >f_setplatform()..."
>> >
>> >Now, this sounds similar but perhaps not entirely the
>> same >as other peoples issues.
>> >
>> >Comparing the code and the error it doesn't quite add up.
>> >The code is trying to assign type n_cst_platformunicode
>> to >n_cst_platform, not to n_cst_platformwin32.
>> >
>> >Any clues gratefully received...
>> >thank you.

0
Boris

API Problems after migrated from PB 9 to PB 10.5
Hi all; I have some problems with these APIs calls inside my application; I used these APIs from PB 8 without problems, I think there is something linked to UNICODE/DBCS and so on. ---API delcaration in PB 9--- FUNCTION ULONG GetFileVersionInfoSizeA( REF string lpFilename, REF ulong lpdwHandle ) LIBRARY "version.dll" FUNCTION BOOLEAN GetFileVersionInfoA( REF string lpFilename, REF ulong lpdwHandle, ulong dwLen, REF string lpData ) LIBRARY "version.dll" FUNCTION BOOLEAN VerQueryValueA( REF string lpBlock, string lpSubBlock, REF long lpBuffer, REF uint puL...

Oracle connection problem migrating from PB 9 to PB 10
Hello all, We have an existing PB 9 application which we have just migrated to version 10.2.1. It is connected to an Oracle 9i database, using the 8.0.4+ native driver. The app runs fine from within the Powerbuilder IDE (and a PB9 build of the identical code connects fine as well), but when I build it in PB 10, I get a "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name" error when it tries to connect. The correct database alias is in my tnsnames.ora file. It's as though the app could not find the tnsnames.ora file or some such thing. Can anyone tell me what is goi...

Migration from PB 10.2 to PB 10.5
Has anyone been able to migrate 10.2 apps to 10.5? We migrated a perfectly good 10.2 PFC app, and no errors were reported by the migration assistant. However, as we run the app a windows gpf is generated. We are stuck! Any ideas would be so very welcomed. Can you see were the application is blowing up? Does it blow up in the same place everytime? What dll is reporting the gpf? Brad Andres Rubiano wrote: > Has anyone been able to migrate 10.2 apps to 10.5? We migrated a perfectly good 10.2 PFC app, and no errors were reported by the migration assistant. However, as we run the a...

Trying to Migrate to Pb 10.5.2 from PB 9.02
We are trying to migrate to PowerBuilder 10.5.2 from PB 9.02 , but we are running into COM+ issues. We have 2 production application server environments - Windows server 2000 sp4 and Windows server 2003 sp1. We tried PB 10.5.1 but our COM+ PB components were locking up during our stress tests on both window 2000 server sp4 and Windows 2003 sp1 & sp2 application servers. We re-grouped and have changed our development environment several times and had some positive results with Windows 2003 sp2 (was sp1) and now PB 10.5.2 (was 10.5.1). The PB components no longer locked up....

Migrating from PB 7.0 to PB 10.2.1 PFC layout issue
Hi All I will be migrating from PB 7.0 to PB 10.2.1 My question is about the new layout of 10.2.1 and how it handles the PFC Old layout EX. From with in PB7 the developer see's these folders Company Apps - folder ---> App1 - folder ---> A1.pbl ---> B1.pbl ---> C1.pbl ---> App2 - folder ---> A2.pbl ---> B2.pbl ---> C2.pbl ---> AppPFC - folder ---> Apfc.pbl ---> Bpfc.pbl ---> Cpfc.pbl ---> ...

How to Handel PB Native Source Control When Migrating from PB 8 to PB 9
Is there a special process for migrating and preserving PB Native Source Control History? We are migrating from PB 8 under PB Native Source Control to PB 9. Our plan is to setup a seperate PB 9 machine. Then, checkout all our PB 8 objects on the source machine and copy them over to the PB 9 machine for migration. Once we get a clean build on the PB 9 machine, we would check all the objects back in. Is this the correct way to do it? Thanks, Bob Olsen There should be no need to check the objects out before the migration. I would: - Create a new Local Root Folder for the P...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

Migration from PB 7 to PB 9
We have been using PB 7 for quite some time. Lately one of our larger databases has been getting 'out of memory' errors during a retrieve a data window in our current application. Would upgrading to PB 9 prevent this? In addition, does PB 9 increase response times via ODBC (sql server) v. PB 7? Many thanks. Joe; Make sure that the application's client machine is really running out of memory. May be it's referring to "Out of System Resources". What version of MS-Windows are you using? If you are running out of memory, it may also be due to a low O/...

Migrate from PB 9 to PB 8
I have some datawindows created in PB 9. I want to put them in PB 8's application. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks a lot Please post this question in the PowerBuilder.DataWindow newsgroup. This group is for DataWindow .NET questions and issues. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase DataWindow .NET Webcast December 16, 2004: www.customermining.com/Sybase/NETRegPage.html TeamSybase blogs: http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs DataWindow.NET code examples available on CodeXchange: http://datawindownet.codexchange.sybase.com On 16 Dec 2004 14:48:53 -0800, Joe wrote: >I hav...

Migrating PB 10.2 to PB 10.5 on EAServer 4.2
My company is currently running EAServer 4.2 and PB 10.2. We are interested in migrating PB10.2 to 10.5 but still keep EAServer 4.2. The installation guide for PB 10.5 mentions that if you migrate to PB 10.5 it is best to get EAServer 5.3. Does anyone have experience in this and if these two (PB 10.5 and EAServer 4.2) are compatible with each other? I would be very surprised if 4.x supported 10.5. It likely doesn't even know about that VM. Carson ____________________________________________ Carson Hager Cynergy Systems, Inc. http://www.cynergysystems.com Macr...

Install PB 10 update without needing to install PB 9 update, then PB 8 update....
We have a bunch of updates to PB. Is there a way we can install PB 10 without needing to install all the previous versions of PB? If all you have is an update version, then you'll need to have some previous version of PB installed. On 4 Mar 2005 05:54:11 -0800, "Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel_N.0.S.P.A.M_at_InFrontSoftware_D0T_C0M> wrote: >We have a bunch of updates to PB. Is there a way we can install PB 10 >without needing to install all the previous versions of PB? > > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Vote for D...

Migrating from PB 10 to PB 11.2
I have to migrate a PB application Ver 10 into ver 11.2. The current version of the PFC with PB Ver 10 is PFC Majaor = 6, PFC_MINOR = 5. Can I migrate the Ver 10 application which includes the PFC Ver 6 into PB 11.2 directly or do I need to have the latest PFC version ? Where can I find the latest PFC pbls and the compatibility information and all? It would be great if any one of you provide the relevant information. Please help me in this regard Thanks Mani. Hi Mani; The new home for the PFC's I believe is: http://www.codeplex.com/pfc. Personally, I would u...

migration our applications from PB 5 to PB 9.
We would like to migrate our applications from PB 5 to PB 9. Is it possible to migrate from PB 5 to PB 9 at one time? Or do we have to migrate it through PB7 or 8? Thank for your help. E. J. Choi -- We're in the middle of migrating from PB 5 to PB 8. Tried migrating to PB 9 also. Both worked fine, so I don't think you need to go to PB 6.5 or 7 before to 9. We do need to do workaround in new bugs introduced in PB 8 and I think, still is in PB 9. Example is the use of the enable() and disable() functions. They don't work if the menu item is invisible. ...

Of PB 10.0 to PB 9.0
Hello PB's friends it is possible to make an investment of my objects created in PB 10,0 to PB 9,0. Thanks for its time L.Barzi [Lima - Peru] There's a general discussion of backward migration in the Migration Guide on my site (see below). Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 17 Sep 2006 14:50:20 -0700, in sybase.public.powerbuilder.futures.discussion <L.Barzi> wrote: >Hello PB's friends it is possible to make an investment of >my objects created in PB 10,0 to PB 9,0. ********************************* PowerBuilder fo...

Web resources about - PB 9 to PB 10 migration - sybase.powerbuilder.pfc

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pope Francis urges review of migration laws to welcome refugees
... and indifferent to the tragedies facing humanity. Vatican City: Pope Francis on Tuesday called on countries to review their laws on migration ...

Paris deal considers climate change role in mass migration
Global warming has already contributed to the the large-scale displacement of people that has been an ominous, politically sensitive undercurrent ...

EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow
EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow

Security is a major concern for cloud migrations
... Moreover, 40 percent worry about the loss of physical control over data in the cloud. In particular, 69 percent of companies fear migration ...

Website migration guide: building an SEO checklist for moving your site
... in other countries also which makes it vital that it’s as easy as possible to present users with the correct version. Combining a site migration ...

Christian Charities Combat Resistance to Muslim Migration
The Obama administration intends to bring 10,000 Syrian refugees, almost all Muslim, to the U.S. in FY 2016 unless Congress rejects funding. ...

Huawei, Telefonica Partner on Enterprises Cloud Migration
The first countries where the enterprise cloud service will be deployed are Brazil, Mexico and Chile during the first quarter of 2016.

High skilled migration and global innovation
... using a multi-country endogenous growth model. The proposed framework introduces and quantifies a “frontier growth effect” of skilled migration: ...

Site Redesign & Migration Tips To Avoid SEO & UX Disasters
Planning to overhaul your website? Check out contributor Modestos Siotos' tips to help you minimize the potential negative impact of a site relaunch. ...