Creating a WCF Proxy

  I'm unable to create a wcf proxy. I've tried using the wsdl mentioned
in Paul Horan's example for movie times and also tried one for a daily
dilbert. After specifying the proxy assembly name and proxy library I
click on the next button and get the following message:  "The system
cannot find the file specified" and consequently no services are shown
in the next step. I've copy and pasted the url in a browser and see the
wsdl so I know the syntax is ok. What else could it be?

Thanks,
Mark

PB 12.net build 5530
WinXP sp3

0
Mark
8/4/2010 3:26:12 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.net 284 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hmmm...  It just worked for me again.  That URL is:
http://www.ignyte.com/webservices/ignyte.whatsshowing.webservice/moviefunctions.asmx?wsdl

Are you pointing to the URL, or did you save the WSDL as a local file?  That
error message makes me think you're looking for a .WSDL file...
Either one works, but be careful when saving WSDL to a file, because IE puts
in the + signs from it's custom stylesheet, and PB doesn't like those...

The Daily Dilbert site has been down for over a year.  I don't think it's
coming back...

--
Paul Horan[Sybase]
http://paulhoran.ulitzer.com

"Mark" <mlibner@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4c598694@forums-1-dub...
>  I'm unable to create a wcf proxy. I've tried using the wsdl mentioned in
> Paul Horan's example for movie times and also tried one for a daily
> dilbert. After specifying the proxy assembly name and proxy library I
> click on the next button and get the following message:  "The system
> cannot find the file specified" and consequently no services are shown in
> the next step. I've copy and pasted the url in a browser and see the wsdl
> so I know the syntax is ok. What else could it be?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> PB 12.net build 5530
> WinXP sp3

0
Paul
8/4/2010 4:53:58 PM
  Hi Paul,

I tried pointing to the url and saving a local copy without success. I
just pasted in your url and got the same message. The dilbert one was
the only other one I could think of until I read your bushism article a
few minutes ago. I tried that one and got the same message.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

On 8/4/2010 12:53 PM, Paul Horan[Sybase] wrote:
> Hmmm...  It just worked for me again.  That URL is:
> http://www.ignyte.com/webservices/ignyte.whatsshowing.webservice/moviefunctions.asmx?wsdl
>
> Are you pointing to the URL, or did you save the WSDL as a local file?  That
> error message makes me think you're looking for a .WSDL file...
> Either one works, but be careful when saving WSDL to a file, because IE puts
> in the + signs from it's custom stylesheet, and PB doesn't like those...
>
> The Daily Dilbert site has been down for over a year.  I don't think it's
> coming back...

0
Mark
8/4/2010 5:04:05 PM
I got the same thing on one machine and finally realized it was because
I didn't have a current enough copy of the windows sdk on the machine.
Pb is looking for the svcutil.exe file from the sdk.  That's the file
it's reporting it can't find.  I've put in a cr to get them to provide a
more meaningful message.

Mark <mlibner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm unable to create a wcf proxy. I've tried using the wsdl mentioned
> in Paul Horan's example for movie times and also tried one for a daily
> dilbert. After specifying the proxy assembly name and proxy library I
> click on the next button and get the following message:  "The system
> cannot find the file specified" and consequently no services are shown
> in the next step. I've copy and pasted the url in a browser and see
> the wsdl so I know the syntax is ok. What else could it be?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> PB 12.net build 5530
> WinXP sp3
0
Bruce
8/4/2010 5:08:32 PM
  I just downloaded and installed the .net framework 2.0 sdk from ms.
Still no luck. The closest thing I have to svcutil.exe is
datasvcutil.exe in the 3.5 and 4.0 framework folders. Which 2.0
framework download contains the svcutil.exe?

On 8/4/2010 1:08 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
> I got the same thing on one machine and finally realized it was because
> I didn't have a current enough copy of the windows sdk on the machine.
> Pb is looking for the svcutil.exe file from the sdk.  That's the file
> it's reporting it can't find.  I've put in a cr to get them to provide a
> more meaningful message.
>

> Mark<mlibner@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> I'm unable to create a wcf proxy. I've tried using the wsdl mentioned
>> in Paul Horan's example for movie times and also tried one for a daily
>> dilbert. After specifying the proxy assembly name and proxy library I
>> click on the next button and get the following message:  "The system
>> cannot find the file specified" and consequently no services are shown
>> in the next step. I've copy and pasted the url in a browser and see
>> the wsdl so I know the syntax is ok. What else could it be?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>
>> PB 12.net build 5530
>> WinXP sp3
0
Mark
8/4/2010 6:31:32 PM
No, it does not.  Wcf was introduced in .net 3.5.  You have to have that
sdk at a minimum to use wcf.  I would recommend using the windows sdk
for windows 7 that includes 3.5 and 4.0

You also need to check to see what it's installing.  I noticed that the
defaults on one machine I installed it to did not include the .net
developer stuff, I had to add it manually.

Mark <mlibner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed the .net framework 2.0 sdk from ms.
> Still no luck. The closest thing I have to svcutil.exe is
> datasvcutil.exe in the 3.5 and 4.0 framework folders. Which 2.0
> framework download contains the svcutil.exe?
>
> On 8/4/2010 1:08 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
>> I got the same thing on one machine and finally realized it was
> > because
>> I didn't have a current enough copy of the windows sdk on the
> > machine.
>> Pb is looking for the svcutil.exe file from the sdk.  That's the file
>> it's reporting it can't find.  I've put in a cr to get them to
> > provide a
>> more meaningful message.
>>

>> Mark<mlibner@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm unable to create a wcf proxy. I've tried using the wsdl
> > > mentioned
>>> in Paul Horan's example for movie times and also tried one for a
> > > daily
>>> dilbert. After specifying the proxy assembly name and proxy library
>>> click on the next button and get the following message:  "The system
>>> cannot find the file specified" and consequently no services are
> > > shown
>>> in the next step. I've copy and pasted the url in a browser and see
>>> the wsdl so I know the syntax is ok. What else could it be?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> PB 12.net build 5530
>>> WinXP sp3
0
Bruce
8/4/2010 9:41:37 PM
  Sorry Bruce I didn't know wcf was a 3.5 thing. I'm still trying to
make the pb to .net transition. I installed the win7 sdk but it didn't
install the svcutil.exe program. I reinstalled the 3.5 and still no
luck. Having downloaded, installed and reinstalled every framework
version I could find I finally punted and downloaded the VS 2008 Express
Edition. Low and behold I get the coveted svcutil.exe. I'm not sure why
I had to go through this just to create a wcf client proxy but I hope
I'm the exception. Nonetheless thanks for pointing out the file I needed
to continue following Paul's example.

Mark

On 8/4/2010 5:41 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
> No, it does not.  Wcf was introduced in .net 3.5.  You have to have that
> sdk at a minimum to use wcf.  I would recommend using the windows sdk
> for windows 7 that includes 3.5 and 4.0
>
> You also need to check to see what it's installing.  I noticed that the
> defaults on one machine I installed it to did not include the .net
> developer stuff, I had to add it manually.
>
> Mark<mlibner@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> I just downloaded and installed the .net framework 2.0 sdk from ms.
>> Still no luck. The closest thing I have to svcutil.exe is
>> datasvcutil.exe in the 3.5 and 4.0 framework folders. Which 2.0
>> framework download contains the svcutil.exe?
>>
>> On 8/4/2010 1:08 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
>>> I got the same thing on one machine and finally realized it was
>>> because
>>> I didn't have a current enough copy of the windows sdk on the
>>> machine.
>>> Pb is looking for the svcutil.exe file from the sdk.  That's the file
>>> it's reporting it can't find.  I've put in a cr to get them to
>>> provide a
>>> more meaningful message.

0
Mark
8/5/2010 12:26:22 PM
Are you sure you were installing the SDK?  The framework itself comes
seperate.

The SDK is available from the Windows SDK site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb980924.aspx

Typo on my part earlier, WCF was introduced in .Net 3.0.

On 5 Aug 2010 05:26:22 -0700, Mark <mlibner@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Sorry Bruce I didn't know wcf was a 3.5 thing. I'm still trying to
>make the pb to .net transition. I installed the win7 sdk but it didn't
>install the svcutil.exe program. I reinstalled the 3.5 and still no
>luck. Having downloaded, installed and reinstalled every framework
>version I could find I finally punted and downloaded the VS 2008 Express
>Edition. Low and behold I get the coveted svcutil.exe. I'm not sure why
>I had to go through this just to create a wcf client proxy but I hope
>I'm the exception. Nonetheless thanks for pointing out the file I needed
>to continue following Paul's example.
>
>Mark
>
>On 8/4/2010 5:41 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
>> No, it does not.  Wcf was introduced in .net 3.5.  You have to have that
>> sdk at a minimum to use wcf.  I would recommend using the windows sdk
>> for windows 7 that includes 3.5 and 4.0
>>
>> You also need to check to see what it's installing.  I noticed that the
>> defaults on one machine I installed it to did not include the .net
>> developer stuff, I had to add it manually.
>>
>> Mark<mlibner@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>> I just downloaded and installed the .net framework 2.0 sdk from ms.
>>> Still no luck. The closest thing I have to svcutil.exe is
>>> datasvcutil.exe in the 3.5 and 4.0 framework folders. Which 2.0
>>> framework download contains the svcutil.exe?

-----------------------------------

My Web 2.0 Stuff

Blog:      http://brucearmstrong.sys-con.com/
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Bruce-Armstrong/1600223798
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bruceaarmstrong
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/bruce_armstrong
Ning:      http://powerbuilder.ning.com/profile/BruceArmstrong
Xing:      http://www.xing.com/profile/Bruce_Armstrong
YouTube:   http://www.youtube.com/user/brucearmstrong
Fotki:     http://public.fotki.com/brucearmstrong/
0
Bruce
8/5/2010 2:04:05 PM
  That was yesterday. I would not swear that I installed the specific
sdk you are referring too. I can tell you I saw several .net and sdk
installs in my add/remove programs list. I can say with absolute
certainty that I downloaded and installed the .net 4 framework which
appears to be bundled with an sdk, maybe not the right one though.

I'll forgive your typo. I'm not one to snipe. :)

On 8/5/2010 10:04 AM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
> Are you sure you were installing the SDK?  The framework itself comes
> seperate.
>
> The SDK is available from the Windows SDK site:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb980924.aspx
>
> Typo on my part earlier, WCF was introduced in .Net 3.0.
>

> On 5 Aug 2010 05:26:22 -0700, Mark<mlibner@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>
>>   Sorry Bruce I didn't know wcf was a 3.5 thing. I'm still trying to
>> make the pb to .net transition. I installed the win7 sdk but it didn't
>> install the svcutil.exe program. I reinstalled the 3.5 and still no
>> luck. Having downloaded, installed and reinstalled every framework
>> version I could find I finally punted and downloaded the VS 2008 Express
>> Edition. Low and behold I get the coveted svcutil.exe. I'm not sure why
>> I had to go through this just to create a wcf client proxy but I hope
>> I'm the exception. Nonetheless thanks for pointing out the file I needed
>> to continue following Paul's example.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On 8/4/2010 5:41 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
>>> No, it does not.  Wcf was introduced in .net 3.5.  You have to have that
>>> sdk at a minimum to use wcf.  I would recommend using the windows sdk
>>> for windows 7 that includes 3.5 and 4.0
>>>
>>> You also need to check to see what it's installing.  I noticed that the
>>> defaults on one machine I installed it to did not include the .net
>>> developer stuff, I had to add it manually.

> -----------------------------------
>
> My Web 2.0 Stuff
>
> Blog:      http://brucearmstrong.sys-con.com/
> Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Bruce-Armstrong/1600223798
> LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bruceaarmstrong
> Twitter:   http://twitter.com/bruce_armstrong
> Ning:      http://powerbuilder.ning.com/profile/BruceArmstrong
> Xing:      http://www.xing.com/profile/Bruce_Armstrong
> YouTube:   http://www.youtube.com/user/brucearmstrong
> Fotki:     http://public.fotki.com/brucearmstrong/
0
Mark

PowerBuilder 9 using .NET WCF service.
Hi. I have one question. Are there any known issues? Is it possible to call WCF service from PowerBuilder 9? Has anyone done that yet? Thank you. I haven't. I would assume, based on past behavior, that Microsoft has "embraced and extended" web services standards to create something that is particularly unique to them and can only be accessed by the same product. On 8 Jun 2007 02:11:05 -0700, Uro� wrote: >Hi. > >I have one question. Are there any known issues? Is it >possible to call WCF service from PowerBuilder 9? Has anyone >done that ye...

Creating ASP.NET app in VB.NET
I am trying to create an ASP.NET web app using VS.NET (VB.NET Standard 2003 edition).  However, whenever I try to do so, VS.NET hangs. What happens is that I select 'ASP.NET Web Application' and then fill in the app name in the 'Location' field on the dialogue box.  When I click OK, VS.NET just stops responding.  I believe that the problem is because I cannot connect to http://localhost.  I have tried everything I can think of/have read on the web to get my machine to connect to http://localhost, but to no avail. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, reinstallin...

Migrating PowerBuilder SOAP clients to WCF in PB12.Net
Sample code attached to the post. http://blogs.sybase.com/phoran/?p=447 -- Paul Horan[Sybase] http://paulhoran.ulitzer.com Hi Paul; Good article ... thanks! -- Regards ... Chris President: OSUG / STD Inc. Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass "Paul Horan[Sybase]" <phoran_remove@remove_sybase.com> wrote in message news:4c002e20@forums-1-dub... > Sample code attached to the post. > > http://blogs.sybase.com/phoran/?p=447 > > -- > Paul Horan[Sybase] >...

WCF Syndication project create and new project for asp.net
Hi Friends.  i create asp.net project and after i add a new project for wcf syndication.( rss feed using database). wcf syndication run name is feed1.   .net 3.5 framework. display rss title , link , description , date. successfully run http://localhost:8731/Design_Time_Addresses/Syndication1/Feed1/ please visit this image. screen shot. http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=syndicationzx8.jpg" http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7269/syndicationzx8.th.jpg" http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=syndicationzx8.jpg  my question is 1.how ...

WCF Service Reference still creates typed dataset as part of proxy
Using 2008, I've split my DataSets and TableAdapters into two different projects (using the new "DataSet Project" property). I then have a WCF service being consumed by a Website and I used "Add Service Reference...". Both the client and host reference the class library containing the DataSets. Only the host references the class library containing the TableAdapters. When I look at the proxy files created by the "Add Service Reference..." command, I notice that DataSet files (xsd) have been created (just like the old ASMX webservices proxies did). I mad...

creating table in .net (UltraLite.NET)
Hi, Could anyone send me a sample code of how to use a create table query in the ultralite.net api. when I try to do this I get the following error: "A schema upgrade is not currently allowed". I suppose it has something to do with the schemaUpgradeData\listener classes, but I couldn't work it out. I'm using Schema Painter version 9.0.1, build 1751 Thanks According to the online help, this error is caused because something is in use in the database. Try closing all of your cursors/etc. and finishing your current transaction before doing the schema upgrade. ...

Can a powerbuilder 6.5 app call a class library created in vb.net
any clues on whether I can include as a global external function - a vb.net dll and call that function from a pb app?? bev Hi, I'm not a powerbuilder user but there are some developers that are using this tool for creating their software at my firm. I know that they are currently upgrading to, I believe version 9 or 10, so that they can use webservices that I and some coworkers developed with vb.net. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

how to create proxy class using WSDL.exe to call a webservice when i don't have "ASP.Net Ajax"
Hello there!,                    could any one tell me how can i create proxy classes using the WSDL.exe. is that an alternate to the proxy classes generated by the "Script Manager in ASP.net ajax".              Note: I am Using Asp.net1.1 Much Obliged & Thanks a Lot,Myself hi, the proxy class is generated as follows: wsdl /languag:c# out:/filename:directory name /proxy:<url> language can be c#, vb o...

Creating .net forum using Asp.net
HI, I want to create a .net Forum . Can anyone tell me which control i have to use for showing the Queries so that it can be expanded dynamically depending upon the text area .  Please: don't forget to click Mark as Answer on the post that helped you. Hi,Here are lots of example:  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/custom-controls/aspnetforums.aspx http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/JumpyForum.aspx http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/itcnforum.aspx http://www.yetanotherforum.net http://www.dnfbb.net/ http://www....

Creating ASP.NET pages in .NET Studio
Hello All, 1) I love the way that WebMatrix manages the code and other tags, all located in 1 files, rather then using the "codebehind" like .NET studio does. Is there a way to make VB.NET behave in a similar way that WebMatrix does ? 2) How do I create one page of asp.NET with VB.NET without creating new solution, but still with formatting ? (By formatting I mean the popup appearing when I write response with .write, .flush etc.) When I select only the file and not a new solution I don't get the formatting help and I don't want to use a new solution each...

create a forum in asp.net with vb.net
I am currently designing a website that will have a forum on it. I am looking to design it from scratch. I am new to programming and would like to know if there are sources I can look at to get me going on the right track.  Instead of re-inventing the wheel, why not use an already exisiting forum? There are a number out there that you could implement into your site. If nothing else, take a look at the source code of the below projects. That will give you a push in the right direction. ASP.NET ForumsCommunity ServerYet Another Forumliteforum HTH,RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft ...

Create a Template in ASP.NET(VB.NET)
I'm new to ASP.NET and would appreciate if any one could help me out with this. I'm trying to create a TEMPLATE for all of my web pages with Header/Footer/Navigation and the content. I did it in ASP using the Include files. I guess there is definitely an more efficient way to do it in SP.NET (1.1)... I really thank you and appreciate your help. Russ Nemhauser has written an excellent article that should get you going. http://www.nemhauser.com/article.aspx?article=PowerOfBasePages  Jared LivingstonMrLivingston.com - Livingston Family WebsiteTest/Demo site - moonmark.com Thank you ...

Web resources about - Creating a WCF Proxy - sybase.powerbuilder.net

Wikipedia:Creating a bot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is often far simpler to request a bot job from an existing bot. If you have only periodic requests or are uncomfortable with programming languages, ...

Sandi Krakowski’s Tips for Creating Great Content
Quick tips to help you create great content for your business.

Bug - Creating a Video.Watches Action stopped working - Facebook-Entwickler
Since today executing a POST on a me/video.wacthes endpoints no longer works, it was working around 10 hours ago since then the call always returns ...

Facebook simplifies process for creating repeat events
Facebook introduced a new feature for events this week that allows users to quickly create a similar event as one they previously hosted or attended. ...

The Obama campaign won by creating their own Facebook, with unique features for political campaigns.
... seen as too dangerous to nominate someone who is so thoroughly narcissistic, arrogant and dishonest. The Obama campaign won basically by creating ...

Creating A Road Map To Market Your Startup
Spreading the word can be challenging when you’re new to an industry, don’t have a big budget, and have little helpbut it’s possible.You’ll need ...

Dance Machine - The Fun Video Editor for Creating Music Videos to share on Instagram, Facebook, Vine ...
Get Dance Machine - The Fun Video Editor for Creating Music Videos to share on Instagram, Facebook, Vine, and Twitter on the App Store. See screenshots ...

Creating Economic Dynamism: Joseph E. Stiglitz
DAVOS/SWITZERLAND, 25JAN13 - Joseph E. Stiglitz, Professor, Columbia University, USA talks during the session 'Creating Economic Dynamism' at ...

YouTube - Super Human Abilities: Tila Tequila Creating Energy Balls & Electricity Out of Thin Air!
Veröffentlicht am 24.04.2013 Hey Guys! For a long time now I have been able to do some pretty supernatural things that most would consider "SUPER ...