Word OLE automation

I am about to embark on a PB 5.0 project that will require dynamic creation
of documents for use with Word 97's mail merge capability.

Being that this is my first time using OLE, as well as my first time
programming Word, could anybody point me in the right direction (books,
articles, web sites, etc.) to get me started? I've experimented a little
with what I could find on Microsoft's and Sybase's sites, but I am looking
for something more comprehensive.

===============
Daniel Buki
Software Developer
Butte County (CA) Migrant Education
cerkit@ncal.net
0
cerkit

In article <3665d649.9772052@forums.powersoft.com>, cerkit@ncal.net
says...
> I am about to embark on a PB 5.0 project that will require dynamic creation
> of documents for use with Word 97's mail merge capability.
>
> Being that this is my first time using OLE, as well as my first time
> programming Word, could anybody point me in the right direction (books,
> articles, web sites, etc.) to get me started? I've experimented a little
> with what I could find on Microsoft's and Sybase's sites, but I am looking
> for something more comprehensive.
>
> ===============
> Daniel Buki
> Software Developer
> Butte County (CA) Migrant Education
> cerkit@ncal.net

Daniel -

Take a look at www.ctpartners.com's PB Tip section for more info. There
is a little white paper that has some examples and other pointers.

HTH
--
Mark Pfeifer            Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
Team Powersoft             Emerging Technology Solutions

               Sybase FAQs on the Web Site!
0
see_msg

WORD OLE automation
The following code works perfectly with WORD6/Windows95/PB6, but does not work for WORD 97/NT. OLEObject lole_word string ls_mytext = "Trial text" li_rc = lole_word = CREATE OLEObject li_rc = lole_word.ConnectToNewObject("word.basic") // in NT WORD is opened INVISIBLY // It appears as a process in the Task Manager // li_rc = 0 li_rc = lole_word.FileNew("normal", 0) // Returns li_rc = NULL li_rc = lole_word.Insert(ls_mytext) // Not recognised by WORD97 li_rc = ...

MS-Word & Powerpoint automation, using OLE automation [Edit]
Hello, Here is what I need to do, from my Delphi application : starting from a MS-Word document, create a PPT presentation simply made of a series of embedded MS-Word objects. There would be 1 slide for each page of the source document (assuming same page size & orientation on both sides). This requires to control both a WordApplication and a PowerpointApplication in parallel, and proceed basically as follows : - in Word, open the source file - In Powerpoint, create a new presentation - For each page of the Word doc, |- in Word, select from start to end of current page, then &quo...

Ole Word and Powerbuilder
Please help if someone knows how to convert Visual Basic commands to Powerbuilder. I create bookmarks on the fly and populate them with descriptions. Some descriptions I have to insert with tabbing or indentions. I need correct syntax for Powerbuilder. What I used is not working. For example: iole_object.Selection.Font.Underline = False iole_object.Selection.Font.Bold = False iole_object.Selection.TypeParagraph These commands are fine. I have no problems. Powerbuilder doesn't accept commands like : 1) iole_object.Selection.Paragraph.TabIndent or iole_object.Se...

OLE From Word To PowerBuilder
Hello All, I have been having a problem, I have a PB App that uses Word to open documents stored in a database. When a document is open, a Word macro is executed that searches the letter for a place where there needs to be a signature. If there is a signture needed, it communticates back to PowerBuilder that the current user signature is needed. It works great with DDE, but I run into a problem with OLE. How do cummunicate with a PowerBuilder Appilcation that is already running? As it is right now, I have to build a runtime DLL, or use the "PowerBuilder.Application" an...

Word 6 OLE automation
Hi, I'm using OLE automation with Word 6 to perform a mail merge. Most of the methods work OK (FileOpen, FilePrint etc.) but some of them don't (FileClose). PB says : Error calling external object function blablabla ... The function's name is OK, and the parameters also. I've debugged the externalexception event, and the OLE server tells me that I've tried to handle an element like a function when it isn't. The bizarre thing is that, calling a macro with that instruction (FileClose) works. Perhaps the solution is putting all the code in the macro ? ...

OLE Automation with Word 7
All my users and fellow developers are on Word v7.0a (which does not work) and only I happen to have 7.0 (which works). I've tried background printing on and off in Word. The routine loops through multiple records as shown beloew. The first run through is fine. It fails on the second record at the FileOpen/FileNew. I tried adding wait loops of 10 seconds (!) after the fileprint and the fileclose - to no avail. The error is "Error calling external object function fileopen...". I tried upgrading to the latest PB5.0.04 maint release - still no dice. Does Powerb...

OLE automation with word 97
Dear Sir /Madam I like to ask about how to use the oleobject with Word 97, On word 95 and its predecessor, its clear to use "word.basic" but the speed is very slow compare with other OLE connectivity, So I try with word 97, but the format and function of word 97 is very different from the previous ones, they use VBA (for visual Basic Command), So I like to ask if to use OLE with word97 to connect and merge letter with data supplied by PowerBuilder, like code below, what is the corresponding code in word 97?, or Does PowerBuilder 5.0 does not support Word 97 or vice-versa. ...

Word 2010 OLE automation
Hello there I user Delphi 2010 with Office 2010. When i try to open word document from my delphi application it open the file but the word stayes minimized. this is my code: procedure OpenOleWordFile(Var MsWord:Variant;WordFileName:String); Var WordDoc,Mdoc:Variant; begin try MsWord := GetActiveOleObject('Word.Application'); except try MsWord := CreateOleObject('Word.Application'); except ShowMessage('Error ....cannot open WORD'); exit; end; end; MsWord.Visible:=true; MsWord.Application.WindowState := 1...

Word Automation through Win32::OLE
Long time lurker, first time poster...please be gentle. I am attempting to move through a directory, pull out only files of a ..fin extension (which is Word document format), save each one as .rtf (Rich Text Format). I'd also like to be able to run some predefined macros on the files, but I thought just being able to save was a good place to start. Currently I get an error stating 'Can't call method "SaveAs" on an undefined value'. If someone could point me to some clearer text on Win32::OLE than the stuff that ASPN, CPAN and Oreilly's Win32 o...

URGENT ! POWERBUILDER + WORD + OLE
Hello all, I need to change, from my PowerBuilder application, the print specification of a Word Document before its printing (which paper to use, scale, where to find the paper in the printer, ...) Is it possible with OLE or DDE ? How to do it ? Thanks for all !!! Dany Use INI file settings, i.e. specify 'tray' and 'paper type' to use. Note: It will be hardware dependant pm wrote: > Hello all, > > I need to change, from my PowerBuilder application, the print > specification of a Word Document before its printing (which paper to use, >...

Excel and/or Word OLE Automation
I found out that the client machines that will be running my app will have office 95 on them. So I decided to use the spell checking example that Powersoft provied to work with Excel, instead of using the VS ocx. I found out that I handed in one set of problems for yet another set of problems. I took the example from PS and changed the mle to be dw column. The text in the column has hard returns in it, so when I set the text in excel I get | where the hard returns are. This is only a minor problem, that I could live with. However the big problem is that one of two things happen...

Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder??
I'v recently enherited a PowerBuilder app that strips data out of DB2 and inserts it into A Word mail/merge document for printing using OLE. It was built for use with Word 5.0. We've gone to Office 97. It no longer works (same old story). Here is the offending code: ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.EditGoTo ("Include") ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.LINEDOWN(1) ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter(i_sAcctDetail) It stops on the first line and the error message says that the "EditGoTo property was not found" Can someone stear ...

PowerBuilder 10.2 with Word OLE
Hi, I am having a crazy hard time trying to figure out what is wrong with this PowerBuilder interaction with Microsoft Word 2003. After upgrading from Windows 2000 and Office 2000 to Windows XP and Office 2003, document corruption seems to occur (4 bytes of garbage scattered throughout the document file). Both methods of accessing the OLE/Word DOM are being used. One with the ActiveX control on a form and the other using the CREATE OLEObject. Word is being used to view, edit, print, find and replace text, and render PDF documents; no mail merges or nothing complicated like that. ...

Web resources about - Word OLE automation - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Automation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a hierarchical presentation of automation topics, see Outline of automation . For other uses, see Automation (disambiguation) . Automation ...

Automation World - Covering the field of industrial automation
AutomationWorld.com delivers content for the Automation Buying team, which includes Information Technology and Networking; Operations and Engineering; ...

Facebook Ads API Partner AdStage: Campaign Automation, $6.25M Series A Funding
AdStage , a Facebook ads API partner, announced Wednesday the launch of campaign automation — as well as a $6.25 million round of Series A funding. ...

Facebook PMD IgnitionOne launches self-service marketing automation
IgnitionOne , a Facebook Preferred Marketing Developer, announced Tuesday the launch of the Marketing Automation tool. A fully integrated module ...

Automation Heroes (@automationhero) on Twitter

Automation World
Automation World is your link to the why and how of manufacturing automation. The purpose of this group is to connect manufacturing engineers,... ...

Young people don't consider automation issues when choosing a career
... launched a new research study that determines that almost half (49 percent) of young people in Britain are not taking the issue of job automation ...

Meet Microbot Push, a home automation gadget lazy people will love
A South Korean startup called Naran has come up with an incredibly clever way for users to control and automate any type of switch-oriented task ...

Robots Will Change World Beyond Recognition Says BoA; Automation Will Change Jobs More Than Kill Them ...
Robot Theory The battle of robot theory is on. Bank of America paints one picture and McKinsey another. Let's investigate both theories. Automation ...

Rockwell Automation Announces Mobility Co-Innovation with Microsoft
A new mobility co-innovation project by Rockwell Automation and Microsoft Corp. will be demonstrated at Automation Fair in Chicago Nov. 18 and ...