Why to upgrade Power Builder 8 from Power Builder 7

Hello All,
  I work for a client in New York city. All of our current applictions are
written in Powerbuilder and Sybase environment. Recently we migrated our
Financial application into Oracle.
  Now our management wants to re-write all other applications into Oracle forms
with Oracle database. It will take from one year to two years.

 Right now we are in Powerbuilder 7.0 which is stable environment and our
management is thinking to upgrade from PB 7 to powerbuilder 8
Is there any Pros and Cons on the upgrade please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
Chandrika.
Chandrika

Here's a quick and probably incomplete list:

Cons:
Dramatic change in source control
Loss of Distributed PowerBuilder

Pros:
Extended support from Sybase (Sybase usually drops support for a version 60
to 90 days after version x+2 comes out... probably late next year?)
No application re-writing.

What really makes me curious is why they would want to rewrite everything in
Oracle Forms. I can't think of any selling reason why I would use Oracle
Forms over PowerBuilder.

"Chandrika" <b_chandrika@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>   I work for a client in New York city. All of our current applictions are
> written in Powerbuilder and Sybase environment. Recently we migrated our
> Financial application into Oracle.
>   Now our management wants to re-write all other applications into Oracle
forms
> with Oracle database. It will take from one year to two years.
>
>  Right now we are in Powerbuilder 7.0 which is stable environment and our
> management is thinking to upgrade from PB 7 to powerbuilder 8
> Is there any Pros and Cons on the upgrade please let me know.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Chandrika.

Bug
4/24/2002 9:22:13 PM
Not good decision to move to oracle forms..if the PB app is database centric
application....

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:22:13 -0500,
Bug <fenterbug@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Here's a quick and probably incomplete list:
>
>Cons:
>Dramatic change in source control
>Loss of Distributed PowerBuilder
>
>Pros:
>Extended support from Sybase (Sybase usually drops support for a version 60
>to 90 days after version x+2 comes out... probably late next year?)
>No application re-writing.
>
>What really makes me curious is why they would want to rewrite everything in
>Oracle Forms. I can't think of any selling reason why I would use Oracle
>Forms over PowerBuilder.
>

>"Chandrika" <b_chandrika@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All,
>>   I work for a client in New York city. All of our current applictions are
>> written in Powerbuilder and Sybase environment. Recently we migrated our
>> Financial application into Oracle.
>>   Now our management wants to re-write all other applications into Oracle
>forms
>> with Oracle database. It will take from one year to two years.
>>
>>  Right now we are in Powerbuilder 7.0 which is stable environment and our
>> management is thinking to upgrade from PB 7 to powerbuilder 8
>> Is there any Pros and Cons on the upgrade please let me know.
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>> Chandrika.
>> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

Alewe
4/24/2002 10:14:20 PM
"Bug" <fenterbug@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What really makes me curious is why they would want to rewrite everything
in
> Oracle Forms. I can't think of any selling reason why I would use Oracle
> Forms over PowerBuilder.

I have a copy of book called "Accounting for Management Decisions".
Strangely enough, it's not empty, so I assume the title is a misprint ;-)

Simon

--
All views expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer

0
Simon

Windows XP SP2 Compliance for Power Builder 6.5 & Power Builder 7.0
I would like to check if Power Builder 6.5 & Power Builder 7.0 Developer Version can run on Windows XP with SP2 patches ? Please reply. In article <416a5311.5cd2.1681692777@sybase.com>, chaihoon.lim@mesa.panasonic.com.sg says... > I would like to check if Power Builder 6.5 & Power Builder > 7.0 Developer Version can run on Windows XP with SP2 patches > ? > > Please reply. > go ahead.. check Those versions are not supported on XP at all, much less SP2. On 11 Oct 2004 02:32:01 -0700, chaihoon.lim@mesa.panasonic.com.sg wrote: >I would ...

Regarding migration From Power Builder 6.0 to Power Builder 9.0
Hi, We have a PFC based distributed application using Transport Obejct .We are using MSSQL SERVER 2005 database. We have a task of migrating this application from Power Builder 6.0 to Power Builder 9.0 .Please suggest us steps for migration. Thanks & regards, P.P http://www.techno-kitten.com/PowerBuilder_Help/PowerBuilder_Migration/powerbuilder_migration.html I would also recommend (a) migrating your existing PFC layer with the app and then (b) directly moving to the PFC layer supplied with PB9 after migratoin. A number of changes were made including remving the tr...

power builder version 7 / 8 free software
hi, i need powerbuilder version 7 or 8 complete set with free download. may i know from where i can get. please help me, singaravelan my id is : asvelan2k4@rediffmail.com This is not free - never has been - and I doubt it ever will be. To get the latest version (11 and soon 11.5) visit: http://eshop.sybase.com/eshop/ If you specifically need 7 or 8 (very old versions) then you will have to contact sales to see what can be arranged. HTH, Reed Shilts <Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:19:44 -0700 (PDT), singaravelan.appar@gmail.com wro...

Power Builder 7.02 and ASA 8.02
When I try to excecute from Power Builder the following sentence: select max(dtrpnvel) from dtrp; dtrpnvel has null values I obtain: Select error: SQLSTATE = 01000 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]General warning:Null value eliminated in aggregate function the same error i obtain when i recover some datawindows Please help me What should i do? Sounds like a bug that was fixed in later versions (some 7.0.3 EBF, IIRC). You probably need to upgrade. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 11 Sep 2003 15:35:38 -0700, "J...

Power Builder 8
Hello Geeks, Right now i hv successfully migrated an application from pb5 to pb8. Now the only bug that is troubling me is an tab page error. Ofcourse have installed a 7039 patch. My problem is I have two tab pages. One containing the search criteria data window and the second gives the details on another tab page. The first time i specify my criteria it works fine. I then move back to the Search tab after viewing the Details. Give a new criteria and whoosh my application dissappears. Tried de-bugging the same and thats when I found out that it throws me at the selectionchan...

[...]

Power Builder Version 8
Hi, We would like to upgrade our Power Builder from PB version 6.5 to PB version 8. I would like to know if there are known bugs or problem because of the upgrade. Thanks, Ariela Here is one hint: Before copying the pbls to PB8, optimize all of the pbls and do a couple of full regens. You want the pbls really tight before the migration. PB8 is not as tolerant as PB6. This has been the cause of a lot of hard to pin down problems. Neil <Ariela> wrote in message news:E57A51B7A2BAD20700542A3785256C14.00542A4885256C14@webforums... > Hi, > We w...

Power Builder 8 Migration
Hello Geeks, Right now i hv successfully migrated an application from pb5 to pb8. Now the only bug that is troubling me is an tab page error. Ofcourse have installed a 7039 patch. My problem is I have two tab pages. One containing the search criteria data window and the second gives the details on another tab page. The first time i specify my criteria it works fine. I then move back to the Search tab after viewing the Details. Give a new criteria and whoosh my application dissappears. Tried de-bugging the same and thats when I found out that it throws me at the selectionchan...

power builder 8.0
At runtime I get the following error: DataWindow Error: The PowerBuilder Desktop edition does not support stored procedures. What does this mean? The desktop edition is only allows odbc connections to desktop databases like Access. Connecting to DBs like Oracle aren't supported in that version - that's what I read last. -- Evita Chapa Senior Systems Analyst Command Technologies, Inc. <aly> wrote in message news:425150dc.405f.1681692777@sybase.com... > At runtime I get the following error: > > DataWindow Error: The PowerBuilder Desktop edition doe...

Exceptions in Power Builder 8
Hi where can i get a complete listing of the Exception types for powerbuilder 8? Go to the Object Browser, then select the "System" folder. Use the RHMB on the left pane and select "Show Hierarchy". Then navigate down the "nonVisualObject" root to "Throwable". Both "Throwable" and it's sub-classes are what you are looking for! Hope that helps! Regards ... Chris Great White North Technical Evangelist "D0c" <d0cw@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:lOfZJm1sCHA.338@forums.sybase.com... > Hi where c...

Power Builder 7 and LINUX
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------DADC2C6A9DF6A544494B07F5 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Has any one ever tried deploying Power Builder 7.0 application on LINUX or LINUX is not a suppoted platform. Please answer this query as soon as possible. Thanks Saleem --------------DADC2C6A9DF6A544494B07F5 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="tusker.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Muhammad Saleem Usmani Content-Disposition: attachment; filename...

Power Builder 8 with Excel
Hello, I need to count all the sheets it has a schedule in excel, to be able to obtain the information that this one possesses, from an application in Power Builder 8. Please, to send an example. Thank you I don't know about if others are interpreting the specifics about what you're asking, but I don't understand. The specifics of the OLE commands should probably be left to the Excel experts. There are several examples of PB automating Excel with OLE, including http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/New_In_PowerBuilder_4/NewPB4_-_OLE_2_0/PowerScript_Automa...

Power Builder 8 Migration
Hello Geeks, Right now i hv successfully migrated an application from pb5 to pb8. Now the only bug that is troubling me is an tab page error. Ofcourse have installed a 7039 patch. My problem is I have two tab pages. One containing the search criteria data window and the second gives the details on another tab page. The first time i specify my criteria it works fine. I then move back to the Search tab after viewing the Details. Give a new criteria and whoosh my application dissappears. Tried de-bugging the same and thats when I found out that it throws me at the selectionchan...

Web resources about - Why to upgrade Power Builder 8 from Power Builder 7 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

H-1 upgrade program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The H-1 upgrade program refers to the United States Marine Corps 's program to develop the AH-1Z Viper and UH-1Y Venom to replace its aging fleets ...

Tumblr Referrals From Facebook Up 2.5X Following Upgrade For Timeline
Since upgrading for timeline and launching with open graph in April, Tumblr has seen its referral traffic from Facebook rise by more than 2.5 ...

Facebook Platform Upgrade Guide
Upgrade instructions for Facebook's platform across versions.

Facebook Allows Users to Upgrade to the New Messages Product, Why You Should
Some users are seeing a prompt when they visit their Facebook Messages inbox allowing them to upgrade to the New Messages product launched in ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh julia @ d0gbones 3m I laughed at the call handler when he told me it'd be £400 to stay on my current price plan and upgrade ...

Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store on iTunes
Get Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Desktop Audio Upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I needed some new speakers for my desktop computer system at home. I've been tolerating JBL creature 2.1 system for a couple of years now and ...

EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube
EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube