Problem in printing datawindow in Powerbuilder 4.0

Hi,
I am a software consultant working in Salem, OR. I am using PB 4.0
as front end for a client server architecture using distributed
database with Sybase 10.0 as back end. We are developing and
running our application in Windows 3.1 with Novell as the
networking software.
I am continiuosly having a problem. I am using a text field in a
table and having a datawindow based on that. Now, when I try to
retrieve the information , it is fine but when I go to the print
preview, is is showing me only a single line in that. When I try to
print it, it simply prints a blank page (with footer as Page 1 of 1 ).
It seems that it is not a problem b'cos of free memory available as
even I reboot the nachine and try to do the same, it is still giving
me problem.  I checked for special/control characters in the text (as
some people are using WordPerfect  for the spell checking and cut
and paste text in the datawindow ) , but I found no special/control
character in most of the cases.
This problem is more apparent if the size of text increases more
than 20,000 characters but sometime it appears for the less text
size.
I will be thankful if you can provide me some information/solution
in this regard. If you need more information, please contact me.I
am having some live cases w.r.t this problem .
Thanks,
Mahendra Singh
ACCESS Project
676, Church Street
Salem OR 97301
Phone : (503)-373-1993 x 267 ( Work )
0
Mahendra

Have you specified autoVertscroll for that column's editstyle?. Default
autoHorzscroll is specified.

HTH
--
- Met vriendelijke groet,

  Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alingejj

Mahendra Singh <mahendra.singh@state.or.us> wrote in article
<33E8AD50.7584@state.or.us>...
> Hi,
> I am a software consultant working in Salem, OR. I am using PB 4.0
> as front end for a client server architecture using distributed
> database with Sybase 10.0 as back end. We are developing and
> running our application in Windows 3.1 with Novell as the
> networking software.
> I am continiuosly having a problem. I am using a text field in a
> table and having a datawindow based on that. Now, when I try to
> retrieve the information , it is fine but when I go to the print
> preview, is is showing me only a single line in that. When I try to
> print it, it simply prints a blank page (with footer as Page 1 of 1 ).
> It seems that it is not a problem b'cos of free memory available as
> even I reboot the nachine and try to do the same, it is still giving
> me problem.  I checked for special/control characters in the text (as
> some people are using WordPerfect  for the spell checking and cut
> and paste text in the datawindow ) , but I found no special/control
> character in most of the cases.
> This problem is more apparent if the size of text increases more
> than 20,000 characters but sometime it appears for the less text
> size.
> I will be thankful if you can provide me some information/solution
> in this regard. If you need more information, please contact me.I
> am having some live cases w.r.t this problem .
> Thanks,
> Mahendra Singh
> ACCESS Project
> 676, Church Street
> Salem OR 97301
> Phone : (503)-373-1993 x 267 ( Work )

0
Eric
8/6/1997 7:59:31 PM
Eric Aling [TeamPS] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you specified autoVertscroll for that column's editstyle?. Default
> autoHorzscroll is specified.
>
> HTH
> --
> - Met vriendelijke groet,
>
>   Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
>   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alingejj
>
> Mahendra Singh <mahendra.singh@state.or.us> wrote in article
> <33E8AD50.7584@state.or.us>...
> > Hi,
> > I am a software consultant working in Salem, OR. I am using PB 4.0
> > as front end for a client server architecture using distributed
> > database with Sybase 10.0 as back end. We are developing and
> > running our application in Windows 3.1 with Novell as the
> > networking software.
> > I am continiuosly having a problem. I am using a text field in a
> > table and having a datawindow based on that. Now, when I try to
> > retrieve the information , it is fine but when I go to the print
> > preview, is is showing me only a single line in that. When I try to
> > print it, it simply prints a blank page (with footer as Page 1 of 1 ).
> > It seems that it is not a problem b'cos of free memory available as
> > even I reboot the nachine and try to do the same, it is still giving
> > me problem.  I checked for special/control characters in the text (as
> > some people are using WordPerfect  for the spell checking and cut
> > and paste text in the datawindow ) , but I found no special/control
> > character in most of the cases.
> > This problem is more apparent if the size of text increases more
> > than 20,000 characters but sometime it appears for the less text
> > size.
> > I will be thankful if you can provide me some information/solution
> > in this regard. If you need more information, please contact me.I
> > am having some live cases w.r.t this problem .
> > Thanks,
> > Mahendra Singh
> > ACCESS Project
> > 676, Church Street
> > Salem OR 97301
> > Phone : (503)-373-1993 x 267 ( Work )

Yes, I have specified Auto vertival scroll but not Auto horizontal
scroll. Now, I have tried all combinations with AutoHorizontalScroll and
AutoVerticalScroll and it's still not working.
As far as I think its not dependent on the attribute of datawindow but
mainly on text size (and control character, if any). If I reduce the
text to say 20000, I am able to print preview /print it (but not in all
the cases ). If you want, I can send you the datawindow and data so that
you can test it.

Mahendra Singh
0
Mahendra
8/7/1997 3:57:51 PM
Mahendra Singh wrote:

> I am continiuosly having a problem. I am using a text field in a
> table and having a datawindow based on that. Now, when I try to
> retrieve the information , it is fine but when I go to the print
> preview, is is showing me only a single line in that. When I try to
> print it, it simply prints a blank page (with footer as Page 1 of 1 ).
> This problem is more apparent if the size of text increases more
> than 20,000 characters but sometime it appears for the less text
> size.

1. check that you have the latest maintenance release 4.0.07

2. Have autosize height checked on the detail band itself.  This
property is only available on the detail band so your column must be in
the detail section.

3. A row must be able to print on a single page.  If it flows over into
a second page strange things will happen.  Change the column so that it
has nothing in it to see if you are running into this limitation.

HTH
0
Joe
8/7/1997 4:58:19 PM
Joe Choong(watcom) wrote:

> Mahendra Singh wrote:
> >
> > I am continiuosly having a problem. I am using a text field in a
> > table and having a datawindow based on that. Now, when I try to
> > retrieve the information , it is fine but when I go to the print
> > preview, is is showing me only a single line in that. When I try to
> > print it, it simply prints a blank page (with footer as Page 1 of 1 ).
> > This problem is more apparent if the size of text increases more
> > than 20,000 characters but sometime it appears for the less text
> > size.
>
> 1. check that you have the latest maintenance release 4.0.07
>
> 2. Have autosize height checked on the detail band itself.  This
> property is only available on the detail band so your column must be in
> the detail section.
>
> 3. A row must be able to print on a single page.  If it flows over into
> a second page strange things will happen.  Change the column so that it
> has nothing in it to see if you are running into this limitation.
>
> HTH
Well, I am having release 4.0.04. I have already have autosize height
for the column and the column is in detail band only.
Again, if I have nothing or just one line to print, tha datawindow
prints it in One page only. But for the larger amount of text, it may
print in multiple pages.
Most important thing is I am able to print more than 20,000 charatcter
in many occasions (it may go upto 6 pages) but it is very inconsistent.
I have got the 20,000 limit with lot of hit and trial. But it is
generally very consistent, when the number of characters are more than
26,000. I am not able to figure out what is te reason behind it ? Is it
the text size or some special characters or something else.
A couple of days I was having printing problem when the text was around
7,000 characters long but it was having lot of ENTERs in it (around a
couple of pages in continuation) and when I removed those ENTERs, I was
able to print it properly.
But in most of the cases, I am having not too many ENTERs but the plain
text in the datawindow and in most of them the text size is around
30,000 characters.
I think this information may give you some more clear picture of the
problem.

Thanks,

Mahendra Singh
0
Mahendra
8/7/1997 8:30:07 PM
Mahendra Singh wrote:

> > > I am continiuosly having a problem. I am using a text field in a
> > > table and having a datawindow based on that. Now, when I try to
> > > retrieve the information , it is fine but when I go to the print
> > > preview, is is showing me only a single line in that. When I try to
> > > print it, it simply prints a blank page (with footer as Page 1 of 1 ).
> > > This problem is more apparent if the size of text increases more
> > > than 20,000 characters but sometime it appears for the less text
> > > size.
> >
> > 1. check that you have the latest maintenance release 4.0.07
> >
> > 2. Have autosize height checked on the detail band itself.  This
> > property is only available on the detail band so your column must be in
> > the detail section.
> >
> > 3. A row must be able to print on a single page.  If it flows over into
> > a second page strange things will happen.  Change the column so that it
> > has nothing in it to see if you are running into this limitation.
> >
> > HTH
> Well, I am having release 4.0.04. I have already have autosize height
> for the column and the column is in detail band only.
> Again, if I have nothing or just one line to print, tha datawindow
> prints it in One page only. But for the larger amount of text, it may
> print in multiple pages.
> Most important thing is I am able to print more than 20,000 charatcter
> in many occasions (it may go upto 6 pages) but it is very inconsistent.
> I have got the 20,000 limit with lot of hit and trial. But it is
> generally very consistent, when the number of characters are more than
> 26,000. I am not able to figure out what is te reason behind it ? Is it
> the text size or some special characters or something else.
> A couple of days I was having printing problem when the text was around
> 7,000 characters long but it was having lot of ENTERs in it (around a
> couple of pages in continuation) and when I removed those ENTERs, I was
> able to print it properly.
> But in most of the cases, I am having not too many ENTERs but the plain
> text in the datawindow and in most of them the text size is around
> 30,000 characters.

Well as I said, if the column flows over into several pages you tend to
get these kinds of strange results.  This is a limitation of the
datawindow and the only workaround is to split the column.  One example
of this is in the file wrdwrp32.zip in the private section of the ftp
site.  This tells you how to split the column into multiple rows.
0
Joe
8/8/1997 5:33:47 PM
Sure, send it and I'll test it here also.
--
- Met vriendelijke groet,

  Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alingejj

> As far as I think its not dependent on the attribute of datawindow but
> mainly on text size (and control character, if any). If I reduce the
> text to say 20000, I am able to print preview /print it (but not in all
> the cases ). If you want, I can send you the datawindow and data so that
> you can test it.
> Please let me know if you have any further questions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mahendra Singh

0
Eric
8/10/1997 6:53:34 PM
< Big Snip>
> Well as I said, if the column flows over into several pages you tend to
> get these kinds of strange results.  This is a limitation of the
> datawindow and the only workaround is to split the column.  One example
> of this is in the file wrdwrp32.zip in the private section of the ftp
> site.  This tells you how to split the column into multiple rows.

How do I get the wrdwrp32.zip file from the FTP server. I have similar
problems printing datawindows as well. (and I can't see the file on the
FTP server)

Thanks in Advance

Glenn
0
Glenn
8/14/1997 5:00:37 PM
Joe Choong(watcom) wrote:

> > > 1. check that you have the latest maintenance release 4.0.07
> > >
> > > 2. Have autosize height checked on the detail band itself.  This
> > > property is only available on the detail band so your column must be in
> > > the detail section.
> > >
> > > 3. A row must be able to print on a single page.  If it flows over into
> > > a second page strange things will happen.  Change the column so that it
> > > has nothing in it to see if you are running into this limitation.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > Well, I am having release 4.0.04. I have already have autosize height
> > for the column and the column is in detail band only.
> > Again, if I have nothing or just one line to print, tha datawindow
> > prints it in One page only. But for the larger amount of text, it may
> > print in multiple pages.
> > Most important thing is I am able to print more than 20,000 charatcter
> > in many occasions (it may go upto 6 pages) but it is very inconsistent.
> > I have got the 20,000 limit with lot of hit and trial. But it is
> > generally very consistent, when the number of characters are more than
> > 26,000. I am not able to figure out what is te reason behind it ? Is it
> > the text size or some special characters or something else.
> > A couple of days I was having printing problem when the text was around
> > 7,000 characters long but it was having lot of ENTERs in it (around a
> > couple of pages in continuation) and when I removed those ENTERs, I was
> > able to print it properly.
> > But in most of the cases, I am having not too many ENTERs but the plain
> > text in the datawindow and in most of them the text size is around
> > 30,000 characters.
>
> Well as I said, if the column flows over into several pages you tend to
> get these kinds of strange results.  This is a limitation of the
> datawindow and the only workaround is to split the column.  One example
> of this is in the file wrdwrp32.zip in the private section of the ftp
> site.  This tells you how to split the column into multiple rows.

Sorry for writing so late but I was not here so could not write earliar.
Can you please write me how can I download the file wrdwrp32.zip from
the ftp site.

Thanks,

Mahendra Singh
0
Mahendra

Web resources about - Problem in printing datawindow in Powerbuilder 4.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles