PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder modelling

I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find anybody.

I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking out
the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use this
ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros and
cons?

TIA
Arthur 


0
Arthur
4/1/2008 4:03:46 AM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 19 followers. Follow

6 Replies
844 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 21

http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/106983.htm



On 31 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0800, "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch>
wrote:

>I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find anybody.
>
>I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking out
>the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use this
>ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros and
>cons?
>
>TIA
>Arthur 
>

0
Bruce
4/1/2008 1:38:50 PM
I know that it is possible and it works but I wonder if somebody uses it.

Arthur

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
wrote in message news:jle4v3hocjasf2m3csfoc6ej79po2g5jn2@4ax.com...
>
> http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/106983.htm
>
>
>
> On 31 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0800, "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch>
> wrote:
>
>>I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find anybody.
>>
>>I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking out
>>the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use this
>>ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros and
>>cons?
>>
>>TIA
>>Arthur
>>
> 


0
Arthur
4/1/2008 1:45:37 PM
Hi Arthur,

I've tried that back in the PB/PD 7 times. While I was impressed at
first because it was very helpfull creating classes driven by the relational
model (or conceptual model) I was disappointed because of the
possibilities to support a software lifecycle. The problem was to keep
the conceptual, relational and object model in sync with each other when
something needs to be changed. So finally I decided to use the relational
modelling capabilities only.

As sayed at the beginning that is a rather old experience and I'd also
be interested to hear what changed meanwhile.

Just my 2ct

Chris Werner
f+s software gmbh


"Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
news:47f23c81$1@forums-1-dub...
>I know that it is possible and it works but I wonder if somebody uses it.
>
> Arthur
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
> wrote in message news:jle4v3hocjasf2m3csfoc6ej79po2g5jn2@4ax.com...
>>
>> http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/106983.htm
>>
>>
>>
>> On 31 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0800, "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find 
>>>anybody.
>>>
>>>I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking out
>>>the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use 
>>>this
>>>ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros and
>>>cons?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Arthur
>>>
>>
>
> 


0
Chris
4/1/2008 2:09:40 PM
Well, one of the big things it added was the capability to keep the
object model in synch with the code.  Of course, wasn't the DataWindow
generator still available in PD7?  That's one of the big things I miss
from earlier versions of PD.

In any event, as far as people actualy using it, my impression is few.
As a result, it made my list of the features Sybase should consider
removing from PB:

http://powerbuilder.sys-con.com/read/124551.htm


On 1 Apr 2008 06:09:40 -0800, "Chris Werner"
<cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:

>Hi Arthur,
>
>I've tried that back in the PB/PD 7 times. While I was impressed at
>first because it was very helpfull creating classes driven by the relational
>model (or conceptual model) I was disappointed because of the
>possibilities to support a software lifecycle. The problem was to keep
>the conceptual, relational and object model in sync with each other when
>something needs to be changed. So finally I decided to use the relational
>modelling capabilities only.
>
>As sayed at the beginning that is a rather old experience and I'd also
>be interested to hear what changed meanwhile.
>
>Just my 2ct
>
>Chris Werner
>f+s software gmbh
>
>
>"Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
>news:47f23c81$1@forums-1-dub...
>>I know that it is possible and it works but I wonder if somebody uses it.
>>
>> Arthur
>>
>> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
>> wrote in message news:jle4v3hocjasf2m3csfoc6ej79po2g5jn2@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/106983.htm
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 31 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0800, "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find 
>>>>anybody.
>>>>
>>>>I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking out
>>>>the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use 
>>>>this
>>>>ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros and
>>>>cons?
>>>>
>>>>TIA
>>>>Arthur
>>>>
>>>
>>
>> 
>

0
Bruce
4/1/2008 3:10:34 PM
Bruce ,

I know PD11 does  not works with PB11.1

will it be fixed for PB11.2 release ?

Regards , Van

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
wrote in message news:0vj4v3hhm4na0k42u6dflsm3o0035vumeh@4ax.com...
>
> Well, one of the big things it added was the capability to keep the
> object model in synch with the code.  Of course, wasn't the DataWindow
> generator still available in PD7?  That's one of the big things I miss
> from earlier versions of PD.
>
> In any event, as far as people actualy using it, my impression is few.
> As a result, it made my list of the features Sybase should consider
> removing from PB:
>
> http://powerbuilder.sys-con.com/read/124551.htm
>
>
> On 1 Apr 2008 06:09:40 -0800, "Chris Werner"
> <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi Arthur,
>>
>>I've tried that back in the PB/PD 7 times. While I was impressed at
>>first because it was very helpfull creating classes driven by the 
>>relational
>>model (or conceptual model) I was disappointed because of the
>>possibilities to support a software lifecycle. The problem was to keep
>>the conceptual, relational and object model in sync with each other when
>>something needs to be changed. So finally I decided to use the relational
>>modelling capabilities only.
>>
>>As sayed at the beginning that is a rather old experience and I'd also
>>be interested to hear what changed meanwhile.
>>
>>Just my 2ct
>>
>>Chris Werner
>>f+s software gmbh
>>
>>
>>"Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>news:47f23c81$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>I know that it is possible and it works but I wonder if somebody uses it.
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>
>>> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" 
>>> <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>>> wrote in message news:jle4v3hocjasf2m3csfoc6ej79po2g5jn2@4ax.com...
>>>>
>>>> http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/106983.htm
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 31 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0800, "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find
>>>>>anybody.
>>>>>
>>>>>I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking 
>>>>>out
>>>>>the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use
>>>>>this
>>>>>ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros 
>>>>>and
>>>>>cons?
>>>>>
>>>>>TIA
>>>>>Arthur
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
> 


0
Van
4/2/2008 4:42:27 AM
Arthur ,

Look for "PB11.1 with PowerDesigner11" discussion in this forum dated 12th 
March2008 as well for better understanding...

Regards , Van
"Van" <VanJacobson@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:47f30eb3$1@forums-1-dub...
> Bruce ,
>
> I know PD11 does  not works with PB11.1
>
> will it be fixed for PB11.2 release ?
>
> Regards , Van
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
> wrote in message news:0vj4v3hhm4na0k42u6dflsm3o0035vumeh@4ax.com...
>>
>> Well, one of the big things it added was the capability to keep the
>> object model in synch with the code.  Of course, wasn't the DataWindow
>> generator still available in PD7?  That's one of the big things I miss
>> from earlier versions of PD.
>>
>> In any event, as far as people actualy using it, my impression is few.
>> As a result, it made my list of the features Sybase should consider
>> removing from PB:
>>
>> http://powerbuilder.sys-con.com/read/124551.htm
>>
>>
>> On 1 Apr 2008 06:09:40 -0800, "Chris Werner"
>> <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Arthur,
>>>
>>>I've tried that back in the PB/PD 7 times. While I was impressed at
>>>first because it was very helpfull creating classes driven by the 
>>>relational
>>>model (or conceptual model) I was disappointed because of the
>>>possibilities to support a software lifecycle. The problem was to keep
>>>the conceptual, relational and object model in sync with each other when
>>>something needs to be changed. So finally I decided to use the relational
>>>modelling capabilities only.
>>>
>>>As sayed at the beginning that is a rather old experience and I'd also
>>>be interested to hear what changed meanwhile.
>>>
>>>Just my 2ct
>>>
>>>Chris Werner
>>>f+s software gmbh
>>>
>>>
>>>"Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>news:47f23c81$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>>I know that it is possible and it works but I wonder if somebody uses 
>>>>it.
>>>>
>>>> Arthur
>>>>
>>>> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" 
>>>> <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>>>> wrote in message news:jle4v3hocjasf2m3csfoc6ej79po2g5jn2@4ax.com...
>>>>>
>>>>> http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/106983.htm
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 31 Mar 2008 20:03:46 -0800, "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>I asked the question in the PowerDesigner forum but couldn't find
>>>>>>anybody.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking 
>>>>>>out
>>>>>>the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use
>>>>>>this
>>>>>>ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros 
>>>>>>and
>>>>>>cons?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>TIA
>>>>>>Arthur
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
> 


0
Van
4/2/2008 5:08:14 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

PowerDesigner and PowerBuilder
I'm using PowerDesigner for years for data modeling. Now I'm checking out the object modelling capabilities with PowerBuilder. Does anybody use this ability including the PowerDesigner plugin for PB? What are the pros and cons? TIA Arthur What I see is before you invest in purchasing a licensing software... Pls ask Sybase that it PD.x with work with PB.x for example : - PB11.1 does not works with PD10.....and so on.......... Regards , Van "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch> wrote in message news:47efae8b$1@forums-1-dub... > I'm using...

PowerDesigner from PowerBuilder
Hi I'm trying to create new user object in the model opened that I have from powerbuilder but I need the icon in my PainterBar4 and when I open de toolbar 4 I don't find any icon. My PainterBar4 is empty. Anyone know what I forget to configure? I don't know if I have to configure something in PowerBuilder or PowerDesigner. Please help me. Veronica Did you enable the powerdesigner plugin inside powerbuilder ? Goto Tools --> Plug-in Manger and it will give you a window the availabe plug-ins and you should have powerdesigner in the list check it and then you ...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10
Hi all We have migrated our application from powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10. after migration to version 10, alignment in most of reports disturbed. please advice me some solution. On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:45:01 +0100, Adnan Jamil <adnanjamil@nji.com.pk> wrote: > Hi all > > We have migrated our application from powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10. > after migration to version 10, alignment in most of reports disturbed. > please advice me some solution. Adnan, Is this a SQL Anywhere question? If not, you have posted to the wrong forum. If yes,...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder
We use PB6.5. We would want to use a DLL create from PB in a PB application. We compiled an a PBL as DLL. After we tried to use DLL in a user object external, but without success. How can we do to use DLL create from PB or use in a new PB application some object (visual and no) before compiled with PB? Any help will be appreciated. Saul.Convalle@mail.cec.it Thanks When you create a DLL from a PB library it is not really a standard Windows DLL. I'm not sure what the difference is. If you are making calls from PB then just use the standard PB calling syntax the ...

Migrating PowerBuilder 8 to Powerbuilder 11
Hi, I am migrating a PFC based Powerbuilder 8 App. to PowerBuilder 11, I am getting errors like illegal data type. for a NVO n_cst_platformwin32 i am getting a syntax error, its not allowing me to open that object. Requesting your help thanks & regards Vimal Sanghvi If you're object (or any related object) failed to migrate successfully, you won't be able to edit it in a regular painter; you'll have to Edit Source to modify it. If you're migrating, a glance through my Migration Guide (see below) may help. The methodology there would allow you to identify...

Upgrade to PowerBuilder 9 or PowerBuilder 10?
Hi, Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using version 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10. Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10? What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a lot of bugs? Best regards, Ronald Ommundsen e-mail: ronald.ommundsen@gard.no Ron; If you have any hope of running the applications in the future on XP, W2003 or soon to be W2006 (LongHorn) you will have to jump over to UniCode - ie PB10. So personally, I would recommend starting with P...

PowerBuilder 10 and PowerDesigner
When I try to reverse engineer a PowerBuilder target using PowerBuilder 10 and PowerDesigner 10 I get a message when I create the new OOM - Invalid class type id - has anyone seen this before? Scot Scot Davenport wrote: > When I try to reverse engineer a PowerBuilder target using PowerBuilder 10 > and PowerDesigner 10 I get a message when I create the new OOM - Invalid > class type id - has anyone seen this before? > > Scot > > I haven't seen that one before -- you may want to post this to the PowerDesigner forum, though. -- Roy ...

What do we do without PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder?
I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all my data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases. I found it a wonderful tool. It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle. Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even more confused than I about what happened and what to do. I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and the newer version of the IAnywhere database. I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes ...

PowerBuilder
Hi, Please change the name of PowerBuilder to something that is more publicly enticing. For instance, NetBuilder Pro, NetBuilder Deluxe, NetBuilder Gold, or something of the sort. Thanks, Ryan Hi Ryan, How about writing to "s.p.powerbuilder.futures_discussions" forum ? By the way, i think that they are about to call it "4GL plus". <Ryan Putnam> a �crit dans le message de news:4012a716.368.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > > Please change the name of PowerBuilder to something that is > more publicly enticing. For instance, NetBuilder P...

Powerbuilder
I was speaking with a contact at State of Oregon who had a question/issue: They had someone from IBM put a sniffer on their network, and they noticed that their powerbuilder app. would quite often have a few timeouts before connecting to ASE 11.9.2. I believe there is an ASE server parameter that defines the amount of time for the server to wait before sending a message back to disconnect, along with the number of retries, but he was wondering if there is something in powerbuilder? (I'm trying to find the ASE end of it, but having difficulty...it's something that goes...

PowerDesigner to PowerBuilder interface
Column check parameters- If the "List of Values" from the column check parameters are used in PowerDesigner, these carry through to database level validation. Is there a way to generate a column specific error message instead of the generic validation error message? Are the values entered through "List of Values" from the column check parameters in PowerDesigner, visible to the developer in PowerBuilder? If so, where? Extended Attributes Should the attribute definition file, powerpp.exa, contain default settings for the object type "business rule"?...

What is PowerBuilder?
Hello experts I am a student in CS, I am going to write a paper about Rapid application development using PowerBuilder. I need some articles about the arhitecture of PB and how PB fulfill rapid application development's requirement? Should any experts have such articles or journals, please kindly email. thank you very much! SOS -- Best Regards Reply Address->'mailto:seeker@netvigator.com' Paul Ho Why don't you visit http://www.powersoft.com and browse the products section. You will get a lot of information/white papers etc. If you're inte...

PowerDesigner & PowerBuilder
I just got my PB10 Enterprise and I thought the Enterprise edition includes PowerDesigner is this true? or it comes with ASA Studio? Thanks IIRC, there was a 6.5 that had PowerDesigner included with PB Enterprise, but none before and none since. PB10 has the ability to integrate with PowerDesigner, so that you don't have to leave the PB IDE to use it. *A* version of PD (just the Physical Data Architecture module, I think) used to come with ASA Studio, but I'm not sure about now. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 15 Jun 2005 16:58...

Powerbuilder
long ll_rc dw_1.SETTRANSOBJECT(SQLCA) dw_1.retrieve() g_ole_crx_application = create oleobject g_ole_crx_report = create oleObject g_ole_crx_connection_info = create oleObject Resultset lrs_resultset ADOResultset lrs_adoresultset oleobject loo_AdoRecordset DataStore lds_temp lds_temp =create Datastore lds_temp.Dataobject="dw_print" lds_temp.settransobject(sqlca) lds_temp.retrieve() lrs_resultset=create resultset ll_rc=lds_temp.generateresultset(lrs_resultset) lrs_adoresultset = create adoresultset ll_rc = lrs_adoresultset.SetResultset(lrs_resultset) loo_AdoRecords...