Powerbuilder - Upgrade from 6.5 to 10.0

Our shop is considering going from version 6.5 to version
10.0.  The upgrade would also include using the new pfc
libraries.  On average, how long should it take to upgrade
an application with 25 pbls, of which 15 are the
PFC,Corporate, and PFC entension layers.

thanks,
dean
0
Dean

I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but the vast majority of your time
should probably be spent, IMHO, on testing and debugging. You're changing the
foundations of your software; any assumptions about what works and what doesn't
should be thrown out (at least in QA theory). You're the best judge of how long
it will take to test your app. And, if you've got weird code that depended on
"undocumented" (buggy) behaviour, then your debugging time is going to be
signficantly higher than any average we could guess at. By the time your done
that, the half hour migrating will seem massively insignificant.

You could download the eval and do a test migration and run, just to get a basic
level of confidence before committing. Just remember: backup, backup, backup....

Good luck,

On 13 Jan 2005 06:32:10 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
 <Dean Schmuck> wrote:

>Our shop is considering going from version 6.5 to version
>10.0.  The upgrade would also include using the new pfc
>libraries.  On average, how long should it take to upgrade
>an application with 25 pbls, of which 15 are the
>PFC,Corporate, and PFC entension layers.
*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

update powerbuilder 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5
hi, I need update powerbuilder ver 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5. by the way, my company already buy pb ver 10.00 and need to update to ver 10.5. the question : if update pb from ver 10.00 to ver 10.5, is it free of charge ? if no, How I found the price ? best regards, alim 10.5 is considered a major release, you would need to purchase an upgrade. This is what I found on Sybase's own eshop: http://eshop.sybase.com/eshop/buy_detail?id=92023&prodId=9281&bid=17856 You may find better through an online merchant, partner or local retailer. This is also the Ent...

Moving from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 10
Hi, I have an application developed in PB6.5 and due to changing requirements application has to be switched to PB10. There when I am trying to regenerate the contents of my PBL, it is giving error stating: C0042 : cannot compile without valid database signon. This error is coming for few windows but not for the functions I have made in my pbl. It is working perfectly fine for pb6.5. Can you please help me on this. Thanks in advance. Manich First you must to connect to the database by a profile, continue migrate your app. Karla <Manich Tripathi> escribi...

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

PowerBuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0.1
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

Migration to PowerBuilder 6.5 from Powerbuilder 4.0
Hi all, I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soon. I would like to know if I have to migrate previously to Powerbuilder 5.0, or if it is possible to migrate directly from Powerbuilder 4.0 to 6.5. In the last case I would like to know if I can have any problems during the upgrade process. Thanks in advance... On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:46:07 +0100, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Jorge Salamanca" <jsalamanca@fintec.es> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soo...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

ASA and PowerBuilder 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0
I am currently running PB 5.0 with an Oracle 7.3 database. However, there is a great demand for our remote users to gain access to the app. Therefore, I was looking into using ASA to deploy to our remote users. The problem is that stored procedures are not supported with the run-time version of the database engine that gets deployed with the deployment kit. My question is: Does PB 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0 and/or deployment kit allow the run-time engine to support stored procedures. If not, what are some alternatives? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. >My ...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Powerbuilder 6.5 & SQL-server 6.5 <> 7.0
Hi everyone, I'm using PB 6.5 with SQS 6.5 Everything is normal until I port the program build in this environment to a similar environment with the only difference that the database is SQS 7.0 This database is slightly different - in some tables, the fields are larger than in the SQS 6.5 database (but the same type - char). When the program retrieves rows in that environment I get the error message 'Data conversion resulted in overflow ...' I have several other environments with sqs 6.5 with the same difference (larger fields) where the program doesn't rep...

PowerBuilder 5.0 to 5.0.0.2
I hope this the correct venue for this question. I have a fresh install of PB 5.0 and I need to upgrade it to 5.0.0.2. I have found plenty of reference/downloads to 5.0.0.4 on the sybase website, but I need to go from 5.0 to 5.0.0.2. Where can I download the correct patch/upgrade? Thanks 5.0.0.2 is no longer available. You can choose between 5.0.03 (bug infested) and 5.0.04 (stable). -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com "Dwayne Bordelon" <dwayne.bordelon@shawinc...

SQL 6.5 + PowerBuilder 6.0
Hi, I would like to know if there will be performance (or other) problems if I run the SQL server with client written by PowerBuilder on a machine using NT4 server. Will it be stable enough or I must have the client and server separate. Thanks for your help. Hello, MK... Based on my experience, this is what we are having in some production environments in our company. In one example, we are having a user who has a PowerBuilder 6.0 client application with a SQL Server together on a single machine, with NT 4 Workstation installed. If the machine is having 64 MB, there is no p...

Powerbuilder 6.5 to 10.5 conversion
Is there a way to set drop down calender to checked during conversion on alle datawindows where the field is date and tab > 0? Or should I edit all datawindows and change the setting manually? Regards, Eric ...

Powerbuilder 5.0 in SQLServer 6.5...........
Dear Sir/Madam, I am writing to you about the problem on connection between PowerBuilder 5.0 and MS SQL Server 6.5 via Database Painter in PowerBuilder 5.0. When I tried to connect to a database, the connection was successful. And I used "sa" to connect. But when I tried to retrieve data from system tables or newly created tables. An error message was displayed to me. It is "<Column-name>'s data type is not supported". I checked that the database repository tables were created already. Thanks, Martin Yip ...

Going from Powerbuilder 5.0 to 6.0
My company is looking into upgrading Powerbuilder. We just upgraded from 3.0 to 5.0 and it was very time consuming and tedious. I was wondering if anyone had some insight on how it will be to upgrade to 6.0 and what to look out for. We are still finding 'bugs in our software due to the precious migration and we want to make sure that the transition is a little smoother. I understand that the previous upgrade was a large jump, so I am hoping that this next one will be a lot smoother. Thanks for the input, Jim Van Dick On Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:50:51 -0400, James Van Dic...

PowerBuilder 6.0 and InstallShield 5.0 FREE
I read that PB 6.0 is being distributed with InstallShield 5.0 Free, a less full featured version of InstallShield 5.0 Professional. They also said that a discounted upgrade from the Free version to Professional would be available. My department needs to budget for this upgrade so I would like to get an exact figure on what the cost for the upgrade is. Does anyone know? Does anyone know someone at Powersoft who would? Thanks. PowerBuilder 6.0 customers who wish to upgrade from InstallShield5 Free to InstallShield5 Professional should expect to receive a $100 discount. I believe ...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder - Upgrade from 6.5 to 10.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles