Powerbuilder to MS Word via OLE is slow

Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years.  It
was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP and
it got much slower.  With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect, load
a template, open a document and populate with data.  Now that same process
takes about 40 seconds with Word XP.

A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM.  Doubling the RAM gets us
back down to about a 15 second response time.  The problem is that we have
800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines.

I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences regarding response
time with PB, Word and OLE?  Also, is anyone aware of any tricks, other than
more RAM, for speeding things up?

TIA,
Jim

0
Jim

40s seems a high but you are working with an increasingly resource intensive
version of Word. What is load time of the same template and document from
WordXP on those machines? In reading
http://www.microsoft.com/office/evaluation/sysreqs.asp compared to
http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/ofc95brch/specs.asp, the
requirements are significantly different and far more OS dependent. Based on
these requirements docs, your machines appear to be somewhat underpowered
for WordXP.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

Sybase TechWave User Training and Solutions conference -- August 4 - 8, 2003
in Orlando, FL.   -- A great place for education and  in-depth discussions
on all our technology, future trends in the market, not to mention getting
time with the engineers who create the products!  For more information,
visit http://www.ianywhere.com/techwave2003

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

"Jim G" <jim.gillett@dcyf.ri.gov> wrote in message
> Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years.
It
> was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP
and
> it got much slower.  With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect,
load
> a template, open a document and populate with data.  Now that same process
> takes about 40 seconds with Word XP.
>
> A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM.  Doubling the RAM gets us
> back down to about a 15 second response time.  The problem is that we have
> 800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines.
>
> I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences regarding
response
> time with PB, Word and OLE?  Also, is anyone aware of any tricks, other
than
> more RAM, for speeding things up?
>
> TIA,
> Jim

0
Chris
8/13/2003 4:43:52 PM
Outside of the app, starting Word XP, loading the template and opening the
doc takes about 13 seconds.   We meet the "minimum" requirements for Office
XP but not the "recommended".

"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
wrote in message news:3f3a6ac8$1@forums-1-dub...
> 40s seems a high but you are working with an increasingly resource
intensive
> version of Word. What is load time of the same template and document from
> WordXP on those machines? In reading
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/evaluation/sysreqs.asp compared to
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/ofc95brch/specs.asp, the
> requirements are significantly different and far more OS dependent. Based
on
> these requirements docs, your machines appear to be somewhat underpowered
> for WordXP.
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
> Sybase TechWave User Training and Solutions conference -- August 4 - 8,
2003
> in Orlando, FL.   -- A great place for education and  in-depth discussions
> on all our technology, future trends in the market, not to mention getting
> time with the engineers who create the products!  For more information,
> visit http://www.ianywhere.com/techwave2003
>
> iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com
>
> "Jim G" <jim.gillett@dcyf.ri.gov> wrote in message
> > Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years.
> It
> > was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP
> and
> > it got much slower.  With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect,
> load
> > a template, open a document and populate with data.  Now that same
process
> > takes about 40 seconds with Word XP.
> >
> > A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM.  Doubling the RAM gets
us
> > back down to about a 15 second response time.  The problem is that we
have
> > 800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines.
> >
> > I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences regarding
> response
> > time with PB, Word and OLE?  Also, is anyone aware of any tricks, other
> than
> > more RAM, for speeding things up?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jim

0
Jim
8/13/2003 7:00:20 PM
Jim I had a similar problem, and we went from 128 mb of RAM to 256 mb, but
it was still to slow (due to XP's resource intensive app's)...

In order to improve performance I had to change my way of thinking:

Instead of populating the templates through OLE I created a master list of
templates loaded with merge fields.  I then used FileExists, FileDelete,
FileOpen, FileWrite to create a Merge file.

I used OLE to create a new document, and inserted the various templates
requested by the user (located on the server so that any modifications could
be done easily).  Through OLE I performed/completed the merge and saved the
combined templates to a generic document name, prompting the user if they
wanted to open/print the document.

This improved performance three times.  Let me know if you would like some
script samples?

HTH

> Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years.
It
> was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP
and
> it got much slower.  With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect,
load
> a template, open a document and populate with data.  Now that same process
> takes about 40 seconds with Word XP.
>
> A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM.  Doubling the RAM gets us
> back down to about a 15 second response time.  The problem is that we have
> 800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines.
>
> I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences regarding
response
> time with PB, Word and OLE?  Also, is anyone aware of any tricks, other
than
> more RAM, for speeding things up?
>
> TIA,
> Jim

0
Jon
8/13/2003 7:38:22 PM
My experience with Word doesn't go that far back, but I've also played
with WordPerfect and, based on my experience, the issue is Word. I had
to do a whole bunch of extras to turn off Word "functionality" in
order to make my app work at a decent pace. Things like:

iole_Word.ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = FALSE
iole_Word.ActiveDocument.ShowGrammaticalErrors = FALSE
iole_Word.ScreenUpdating = FALSE
iole_Word.Options.SaveInterval = 0

Up to you whether you want to restore the values after.

Good luck,

On 13 Aug 2003 08:13:17 -0700, "Jim G" <jim.gillett@dcyf.ri.gov>
wrote:

>Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years.  It
>was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP and
>it got much slower.  With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect, load
>a template, open a document and populate with data.  Now that same process
>takes about 40 seconds with Word XP.
>
>A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM.  Doubling the RAM gets us
>back down to about a 15 second response time.  The problem is that we have
>800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines.
>
>I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences regarding response
>time with PB, Word and OLE?  Also, is anyone aware of any tricks, other than
>more RAM, for speeding things up?

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
8/14/2003 2:38:41 AM
Jon,
Thanks for the response.  Interesting that you did not get significant
improvement with more RAM .  We do get significant improvement with more RAM
but we lack the funds to upgrade 800 machines at the moment.  Maybe it
depends on the nature of the documents and type of processing to be done.  I
am not ready to reengineer the process as yet but if it comes to that I may
follow up on your offer.
Jim

"Jon Pervan" <jon.pervan@leaseadmincorp.com> wrote in message
> Jim I had a similar problem, and we went from 128 mb of RAM to 256 mb, but
> it was still to slow (due to XP's resource intensive app's)...
>
> In order to improve performance I had to change my way of thinking:
>
> Instead of populating the templates through OLE I created a master list of
> templates loaded with merge fields.  I then used FileExists, FileDelete,
> FileOpen, FileWrite to create a Merge file.
>
> I used OLE to create a new document, and inserted the various templates
> requested by the user (located on the server so that any modifications
could
> be done easily).  Through OLE I performed/completed the merge and saved
the
> combined templates to a generic document name, prompting the user if they
> wanted to open/print the document.
>
> This improved performance three times.  Let me know if you would like some
> script samples?
>
> HTH
>
> "Jim G" <jim.gillett@dcyf.ri.gov> wrote in message
> > Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years.
> It
> > was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP
> and
> > it got much slower.  With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect,
> load
> > a template, open a document and populate with data.  Now that same
process
> > takes about 40 seconds with Word XP.
> >
> > A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM.  Doubling the RAM gets
us
> > back down to about a 15 second response time.  The problem is that we
have
> > 800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines.
> >
> > I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences regarding
> response
> > time with PB, Word and OLE?  Also, is anyone aware of any tricks, other
> than
> > more RAM, for speeding things up?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jim

0
Jim
8/14/2003 2:49:10 PM
Terry,
I haven't used WordPerfect in years but I always thought it was better than
Word.  Too bad MS dominates the world as they do.  I will try your
suggestions and see what happens.  Thanks.
Jim

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> My experience with Word doesn't go that far back, but I've also played
> with WordPerfect and, based on my experience, the issue is Word. I had
> to do a whole bunch of extras to turn off Word "functionality" in
> order to make my app work at a decent pace. Things like:
>
> iole_Word.ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = FALSE
> iole_Word.ActiveDocument.ShowGrammaticalErrors = FALSE
> iole_Word.ScreenUpdating = FALSE
> iole_Word.Options.SaveInterval = 0
>
> Up to you whether you want to restore the values after.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 13 Aug 2003 08:13:17 -0700, "Jim G" <jim.gillett@dcyf.ri.gov>
> wrote:
>
> >Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years.
It
> >was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP
and
> >it got much slower.  With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect,
load
> >a template, open a document and populate with data.  Now that same
process
> >takes about 40 seconds with Word XP.
> >
> >A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM.  Doubling the RAM gets
us
> >back down to about a 15 second response time.  The problem is that we
have
> >800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines.
> >
> >I am wondering if any of you have had similar experiences regarding
response
> >time with PB, Word and OLE?  Also, is anyone aware of any tricks, other
than
> >more RAM, for speeding things up?
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
> See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Jim
8/14/2003 2:55:06 PM
My strategy was to use Word Macros instead of OLE, then call
the macros via DDE.  The result is much faster.  Now I am
looking into eliminating Word completely and using TE
Developer's Kit, which is even faster.

Sorry if this doesn't exactly address the question, but with
a carefully designed word macro, we are able to do very
significant processing.  Rather than controlling the work
interactively from PowerBuilder, we create a txt file in PB,
then run the Word Macro.  The Word Macro reads the txt file
and does its work.  This also has the advantage of freeing
up the PC so the user can go back to work in the PB app
while Word does its work.

HTH

VictorReinhart
0
VictorReinhart
8/14/2003 3:08:31 PM
TE Developers Kit sounds interesting.  Assuming that your app already has a
large number of Word documents associated with it, does TE allow you to
view/print those existing documents or is a conversion required (to .rtf) or
are they junk?

<VictorReinhart> wrote in message news:3f3ba5f4.7e71.846930886@sybase.com...
> My strategy was to use Word Macros instead of OLE, then call
> the macros via DDE.  The result is much faster.  Now I am
> looking into eliminating Word completely and using TE
> Developer's Kit, which is even faster.
>
> Sorry if this doesn't exactly address the question, but with
> a carefully designed word macro, we are able to do very
> significant processing.  Rather than controlling the work
> interactively from PowerBuilder, we create a txt file in PB,
> then run the Word Macro.  The Word Macro reads the txt file
> and does its work.  This also has the advantage of freeing
> up the PC so the user can go back to work in the PB app
> while Word does its work.
>
> HTH
>
> VictorReinhart

0
Jim

Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder??
I'v recently enherited a PowerBuilder app that strips data out of DB2 and inserts it into A Word mail/merge document for printing using OLE. It was built for use with Word 5.0. We've gone to Office 97. It no longer works (same old story). Here is the offending code: ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.EditGoTo ("Include") ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.LINEDOWN(1) ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter(i_sAcctDetail) It stops on the first line and the error message says that the "EditGoTo property was not found" Can someone stear ...

Euro symbol from PowerBuilder to Word via OLE
Hi when our users type or paste a Euro symbol into a datawindow and save, it is fine, but when they generate a Word document via OLE, the symbol is corrupted any ideas ? ...

Help Needed for
Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder?? I have one report which I wanted to be in Word document. Although it is not exactly mailmerge, I want to replace few of the fields in the word document with the database fields. The problem I am facing is Word says 'Name not found calling external function goto at line ...' I tried using Word 97 / Word 2000 ( PB version is 6.5) The code I wrote is //////////////////////////////////// OLEObject ole_object ole_object = CREATE OLEObject li_rtn = ole_object.ConnectToNewObject("word.application.8") if li_rtn = 0...

can powerbuilder ole 2.0 with MS word possibly suck as bad as it seems to?
i've been trying to support what should ostensibly be a very simple procedure using ole automation with ms word 6.0 as the server. as far as i can tell, unless i'm really crazy, the same line(s) of code produce different results, randomly. moreover, pb 5.0 doesn't seem to support the majority of wordbasic's functionality due to its "function" format as opposed to wordbasic's dot format, i.e. editgoto() vs. editbookmark.Name = "schmoe", .SortBy = 0, .Goto Insert "Joe". does anyone know whether or not pb 5.0 (enterprise) has a crappy ole...

OLE From Word To PowerBuilder
Hello All, I have been having a problem, I have a PB App that uses Word to open documents stored in a database. When a document is open, a Word macro is executed that searches the letter for a place where there needs to be a signature. If there is a signture needed, it communticates back to PowerBuilder that the current user signature is needed. It works great with DDE, but I run into a problem with OLE. How do cummunicate with a PowerBuilder Appilcation that is already running? As it is right now, I have to build a runtime DLL, or use the "PowerBuilder.Application" an...

Ole Word and Powerbuilder
Please help if someone knows how to convert Visual Basic commands to Powerbuilder. I create bookmarks on the fly and populate them with descriptions. Some descriptions I have to insert with tabbing or indentions. I need correct syntax for Powerbuilder. What I used is not working. For example: iole_object.Selection.Font.Underline = False iole_object.Selection.Font.Bold = False iole_object.Selection.TypeParagraph These commands are fine. I have no problems. Powerbuilder doesn't accept commands like : 1) iole_object.Selection.Paragraph.TabIndent or iole_object.Se...

PowerBuilder and MS Word Mailmerge
Hello! Since Office 2003 and Office XP I made mail mergue using the MSD of MS Word but with these new versions of office all that code does not work now. Does anyone know how to perform MailMerge with these new word versions? Thank yu in avance Fran first you have to prepare a csv datasource for mail merge operation. to create a datasource take a look at the following snippet: string ls_sql, ls_presentation, ls_syntax, ls_err, ls_datasource_filenm n_tr l_tr n_ds l_ds long li_rc // replace ? of as_sql with value of criteria if as_sql <> "" then as_sql = of...

Powerbuilder 8 and MS Word
Hi everybody, I want to use word in PowerBuilder's application wich open a Word's file and put in some data coming from ASA (for example). For example, the word's file must containing "Dear Client Mister XXX, etc ... and your Contract Number is YYY etc...." where XXX and YYY are extracting from ASA. This file must be opened in Powerbuilder's application and saving after in Database. How is it possible to do this ? Thanks for your help. ALLO. you should be able to start an ole connection to the msword server http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebooks...

Powerbuilder and MS Word 2000
Hi all, I am currently experiencing two problems with PowerBuilder 7.0 (Build 6012) and Microsoft word 2000. I am supposed to print a 1 page Word document before the user prints any report. Please see the code that follows this message. This code was working fine with MS Word �97. After installing Word 2000, I have come across two problems. The first one occurs where I open the file and printing that file. ( io_reportdoc.documents.open(ls_filename), io_reportdoc.printout()) It takes way too long to open and printing. I would like to minimize the time. The second problem is th...

Powerbuilder & MS Word
Could anybody suggest a good reference book for PB OLE with MS WORD? I've never discovered one. However, all of the MS Word functions are documented in Word itself. From the Word main menu, choose Tools .. Macro .. Visual Basic Editor. Then, from the VB Editor, View .. Object Browser. All of the classes and methods are there, along with the values of constants that you'll need - but all of the examples in the help are, of course, in VB. It is definately possible to translate to PB, but it takes a little experimentation. If you have a specific question about how to do...

URGENT ! POWERBUILDER + WORD + OLE
Hello all, I need to change, from my PowerBuilder application, the print specification of a Word Document before its printing (which paper to use, scale, where to find the paper in the printer, ...) Is it possible with OLE or DDE ? How to do it ? Thanks for all !!! Dany Use INI file settings, i.e. specify 'tray' and 'paper type' to use. Note: It will be hardware dependant pm wrote: > Hello all, > > I need to change, from my PowerBuilder application, the print > specification of a Word Document before its printing (which paper to use, >...

PowerBuilder 5 and Word 2000 with OLE
Hello, I'm trying to insert an OLE control into a window. If I select 'Microsoft Word Document' in the 'Insert Object Window' and try to insert the OLE Object into the window PowerBuilder crashes. I using Powerbulder version 5.0.4 and running Windows NT and Office 2000 Professional Any idea? Hi! Actually, I have the same problem and I've observed that there is no such problem on "fresh" computers - with Windows and Office only. After you install another applications the Word's OLE object stops working properly with PB. I think that ...

problems with Word ole and Powerbuilder 5
I'm using PowerBuilder 5.03 and when I run this code under windows 95, 98 it works, but when I run this code under Windows NT, it crashes. Any idea? Thanks in advance and sorry for my english Sergi Gil OLEObject ole_object ole_object = CREATE OLEObject // Connect to Word 8 (starts Word 8) , if successful Opens employee.doc , // if unsuccessful , display msg box for "ole error". IF ole_object.ConnectToNewObject("word.application") = 0 THEN // Make Word 8 visible - ( Set to FALSE for Word 8 to be invisible ) ole_object.Visible=FALSE ole_object.docu...

PowerBuilder 10.2 with Word OLE
Hi, I am having a crazy hard time trying to figure out what is wrong with this PowerBuilder interaction with Microsoft Word 2003. After upgrading from Windows 2000 and Office 2000 to Windows XP and Office 2003, document corruption seems to occur (4 bytes of garbage scattered throughout the document file). Both methods of accessing the OLE/Word DOM are being used. One with the ActiveX control on a form and the other using the CREATE OLEObject. Word is being used to view, edit, print, find and replace text, and render PDF documents; no mail merges or nothing complicated like that. ...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder to MS Word via OLE is slow - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles