Powerbuilder's Future.. Worry?

Hello,

Even though I love PB because of it's great ability for developing C/S apps,
I really worry about it's future. Does anyone have similar worries ?
Financially speaking, what promise does PB have for the next 5 years
(besides maint.) ?

--
Jamiel S. Humayun
QuadLogic Controls, Inc.

0
Jamiel

Jamiel,

I think that everyone is concerned to some extent. PB has become the new COBOL
and most development work being done is maintenance. There are still tremendous
opportunities for PB developers out there but its all a matter of how you
position yourself. Depending on your skill level there are opportunities for:

1. High-level mentoring
2. OOAD (especially if you're proficient in HOW)
3. DB work
4. employing n-tier strategies
5. High-level PFC

An area which I feel is extremely hot yet greatly neglected is the transitioning
of PB apps to the web. If you were able to come up with an effective strategy
for taking existing PB apps & migrating them to the web w/out having to rewrite
75% of your code, I think you'd have work for awhile. The key would be to show
companies how to leverage existing resources & code to build the web-enabled
apps. This could easily be turned into a seminar. (just send me my royalty check
for the idea if you're successful <G>)

Should you be concerned about your long-term prospects in the PB arena? I would
tend to say yes. Things change and unfortnunately, PB has not changed fast
enough to properly address the n-tier & Internet/intranet revolutions.
Additionally, Sybase has done a HORRIBLE job of marketing their products. I
don't see that changing anytime soon.

The key is to choose wisely. If you're going to retrain, think it through. Don't
just jump on the SilverStream, Haht, or Netdynamics bandwagon simply because
they're the coolest offerings. They're not mainstream so its hard for
independents to build a VERY successful practice in a short time.

The bottom line is that you should have enough PB work to sustain you for
awhile.

Hope this helps,

Rey Bango
Team Powersoft...

Jamiel Humayun wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Even though I love PB because of it's great ability for developing C/S apps,
> I really worry about it's future. Does anyone have similar worries ?
> Financially speaking, what promise does PB have for the next 5 years
> (besides maint.) ?
>
> --
> Jamiel S. Humayun
> QuadLogic Controls, Inc.
> jamielREMOVE@quadlogic.com
> Please remove 'REMOVE' for my correct address

0
Rey
9/4/1998 9:40:33 PM
I have to disagree on your point that "most development work being done is
maintenance".  My previous firm had 60% to 75% of the work as new
development.  My new company will be working with an IS shop that is
starting out brand new in Powerbuilder from ground zero.

Sure there's a lot of maintenance, but PB has been out for seven years.  It
was embraced by corporate developers early on so a lot of the development
that took place seven years ago needs maintenance now.

The Houston market is rather hot for PB developers.  Basic client/server
application work is in great demand.  PFC work is even better.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Houston, TX

0
Jim
9/5/1998 1:58:30 AM
As you stated, it really depends on the market. For instance, the S. Fla.
market is extremely dry. There is a TON of PB maintenance work but the rates
average about $35 per hour. At that rate, its not really worth it. The one
thnig I have noticed is that consultancies that specialize in complete project
outsourcing do tend to use PB for new work. Its still the best for 2-tier. I
don't see companies, at least in most of Florida, really embracing PB for new
development work. Again, I think its based on geographic region but I also
believe its because people are questioning Sybase's future. I equate it to
Delphi's problems breaking into the market & truly being embraced by the IT
community.

 BTW, good luck with your new consultancy.

Regards,

Rey Bango
TeamPS

Jim Egan wrote:

> I have to disagree on your point that "most development work being done is
> maintenance".  My previous firm had 60% to 75% of the work as new
> development.  My new company will be working with an IS shop that is
> starting out brand new in Powerbuilder from ground zero.
>
> Sure there's a lot of maintenance, but PB has been out for seven years.  It
> was embraced by corporate developers early on so a lot of the development
> that took place seven years ago needs maintenance now.
>
> The Houston market is rather hot for PB developers.  Basic client/server
> application work is in great demand.  PFC work is even better.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> Houston, TX

0
Rey
9/5/1998 6:20:22 PM
>The Houston market is rather hot for PB developers.

I thought Houston was just rather hot in general...   <VBG>

Paul

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bdd87a$07436930$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
>I have to disagree on your point that "most development work being done is
>maintenance".  My previous firm had 60% to 75% of the work as new
>development.  My new company will be working with an IS shop that is
>starting out brand new in Powerbuilder from ground zero.
>
>Sure there's a lot of maintenance, but PB has been out for seven years.  It
>was embraced by corporate developers early on so a lot of the development
>that took place seven years ago needs maintenance now.
>
>The Houston market is rather hot for PB developers.  Basic client/server
>application work is in great demand.  PFC work is even better.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Houston, TX

0
Paul
9/7/1998 4:08:55 PM
>>I thought Houston was just rather hot in general...  <<

You got that right.  I can lose 5 pounds just mowing the lawn.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Houston, TX

0
Jim
9/8/1998 1:04:29 AM
Jim,

You should start a *NEW* 12 Step Weight Loss Program <g>

--
John De Lello
DelWare Consulting Group

Jim Egan <eganjp@compuserve.com> wrote in article
<01bddacd$fc97f590$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
> >>I thought Houston was just rather hot in general...  <<
>
> You got that right.  I can lose 5 pounds just mowing the lawn.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> Houston, TX

0
John
9/8/1998 12:01:50 PM

Jiggy wrote:

> I really agree with what you are saying Rey. Finding a worthy successor for PB is a
> tough job. I have been playing with Java for months now, but won't commit to a
> particular tool cause Java is still evolving and basic components are still being
> put in place. Though Silverstream, Netdynamics etc. are hot now, they are also slow
> in adapting and incorporating new and important features of the language.

Exactly. Its a real tough time to make career changes. At the pace things are changing,
you're archaic by the time you've learned the latest & greatest. I like the bleeding
edge but man, if you make the wrong choice now, you'll have a gash that could leave you
dyin' in the gutter.

Rey...

0
Rey
9/8/1998 4:08:59 PM
> The key is to choose wisely. If you're going to retrain, think it through. Don't
> just jump on the SilverStream, Haht, or Netdynamics bandwagon simply because
> they're the coolest offerings. They're not mainstream so its hard for
> independents to build a VERY successful practice in a short time.

I really agree with what you are saying Rey. Finding a worthy successor for PB is a
tough job. I have been playing with Java for months now, but won't commit to a
particular tool cause Java is still evolving and basic components are still being
put in place. Though Silverstream, Netdynamics etc. are hot now, they are also slow
in adapting and incorporating new and important features of the language.

Jiggy
eMail:jiggys@usa.net
Web: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/3837/

0
Jiggy
9/8/1998 4:18:43 PM
My experience is similar. I've been doing nothing but new development work
in the Seattle market for the last five years.

Also, from what I've heard, even COBOL programmers aren't doing too badly,
lately    :)...

Eric Tanafon

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bdd87a$07436930$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
>I have to disagree on your point that "most development work being done is
>maintenance".  My previous firm had 60% to 75% of the work as new
>development.  My new company will be working with an IS shop that is
>starting out brand new in Powerbuilder from ground zero.
>
>Sure there's a lot of maintenance, but PB has been out for seven years.  It
>was embraced by corporate developers early on so a lot of the development
>that took place seven years ago needs maintenance now.
>
>The Houston market is rather hot for PB developers.  Basic client/server
>application work is in great demand.  PFC work is even better.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Houston, TX

0
Eric
9/8/1998 6:01:23 PM
Eric,

>>Also, from what I've heard, even COBOL programmers aren't doing too badly,
>>  lately    :)...

Yeah I noticed. They're getting some pretty darn good rates. It almost makes me
want to pull out my college COBOL & CICS books and hit the streets..almost :)

See ya,

Rey,
TeamPS

0
Rey
9/8/1998 7:54:50 PM
But my lawn is larger than 12 steps! <g>
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Houston, TX

John De Lello <DelWare@ct2.nai.net> wrote in article
<01bddb29$eb3568d0$f001a8c0@delware>...
> Jim,
>
> You should start a *NEW* 12 Step Weight Loss Program <g>
>
> --
> John De Lello
> DelWare Consulting Group
> Programming solutions for today's complex problems
> mailto:DelWare@ct2.nai.net
>

> Jim Egan <eganjp@compuserve.com> wrote in article
> <01bddacd$fc97f590$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
> >
> > You got that right.  I can lose 5 pounds just mowing the lawn.
> > --
> > Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> > Houston, TX

0
Jim
9/9/1998 1:15:22 AM
Hey! I know a doctor who could help you about your weight.
He is a great endocrinologist...
            My dad <VBG>
        Francisco.

0
Francisco

Powerbuilder's Future
Hi. I am looking for some insight about Powerbuilder. First of all, does anyone know what share of the market Powerbuilder has compared to it's competitors. It seems to me it has lost a lot of ground the last few years but I don't have any hard facts to back up that statement. The reason I am afraid it has lost ground is because I see less job ads looking for PB programmers and also I know of several companies in my locality that have stopped developing with PB. Secondly, how hard is it to take a client-server application developed in PB and convert it to a web application? S...

Why Powerbuilder's future is .Net
Does Sybase think traditional PB need not to improve any more? ////////////////////////////////////// string ls_me ls_me = 'an honest PB customer' Choose case PBversion case < 'PB11' messagebox('Oh','I am be fed up with the ugly UI and I need B/S development') case 'PB11' #IF Defined PBNATIVE Then messagebox('God','any difference with PB6?') #Elseif Defined PBWEBFORM Then messagebox('Good','it is abstractive but performance need optimize') #Elseif Defined PBWINFORM Then ...

Powerbuilder's future #2
Last year, there was another decline in Powerbuilder users (http://www.visual-expert.com/us/info/survey_pb_2007_results.htm). I think mainly it is because Sybase neglected a great product. Although they say in the survey that the decline is neglegible, Majority of the survey participants; if not all; I believe are from the US. The question is HOW ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD? for the past few years, I have been tracking jobs sites in Australia just to see how "in-demand" Powerbuilder is. For the past few years, there was a steady decline in demand, The sad thing about the hir...

Using PowerBuilder's or Infomaker's Query Painter in my applicatoin
I am at the point in my application where I would like to allow my users to create customized queries, and possibly reports. I have figured out how to use syntaxfromsql to convert sql to the special datawindow code, and this works find for me. But some of my users arn't as gifted in the sql department. So now I wish I had a nice GUI query builder. My question is; Is the query painter, and maybe even the datawindow painter accessable from Powerbuilder script kind of like an activeX? Or an object that I can drop into a window. I think I am to the point that I could recreate th...

One PowerBuilder app triggering an event on another PowerBuilder app's Frame
Running 2 concurrent PowerBuilder apps (both MDI). Is there a way to trigger a user event on the frame of one of the apps from the other? I can get a handle to the frame window, and I am guessing that a Send() of some kind would do the trick, but I don't know which parameters to use or where the parameters for the Send() are documented. Thanks for the help. I recently had the same situation. You can use send or post to send a message to a window in another application. First you need the handle of the window you are sending the message to. Since it is in another applica...

The Future's bright... the future's XAML!
Nice one Microsoft!I am, of course, referring to the absolutely outstanding job you guys are doing on XAML - in one fell swoop, you're doing away with the hideous botches that are HTML and CSS and replacing them with a technology that truly makes them look like the amateur, Open Farce tools they are!And the best thing about it is this: I don't care that MS is a corporate outfit, wishing to tie people to their brand... the falacy of Open Source is that there's a lot of good folk out their doing stuff for free... Google puts the lie to that. My customer's won't care that they're being tied to ...

PowerBuilder Books on O'reilly's Safari
I just noticed that the book PowerBuilder9 Internet and Distributed Application Development is available at O'Reilly's Safari Books Online site: http://safari.oreilly.com/0672324997 Looks like you can even buy a PDF version from the informIT.com site too: http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0768663296 Any idea when (or if) the PowerBuilder Advanced Client/Server Development book will make it onto Safari? This is a great book and would be nice to have it preserved and accessible in an online format. Doug Porter DailyAccess Corporation Never...

What's up with Persona's Future?
Hey y'all, There's been a lot of confusion and concern over Persona's status. I'll get a blog post out on the Identity blog by this time next week, but until then, here are a few brief thoughts off the top of my head. - Persona is currently in maintenance mode. Critical bugs, service disruptions, and security fixes will still pre-empt other work until resolved. - Mozilla's new NOC (the "MOC") is taking over tier 1 incident response for Persona. We will have human-backed 24/7 monitoring of Persona, which should *improve* reliability and inciden...

How to detect if the 'cancel' button on Acrobat Reader's PDF print dialog window has been clicked when using Acrobat Reader ActiveX control in Powerbuilder 9
Product name: Acrobat Reader V5.0, Powerbuilder V9 Operating System: Windows XP I have an Acrobat Reader's ActiveX control on my window application to present and print PDF files. The application was developed using Powerbuilder V9. I need to know if a user has just printed a file then save the printed date into a database. The user can click the 'Cancel' button on the print dialog window from Acrobat Reader to cancel the printing. In this case I won't update the printed date. How can I know if the user has clicked the 'Cancel' button to cancel the printing? ...

PowerBuilder pbcatalog's
For the pbcatalog's, can they be created in a separate Schema or do they have to reside where the main tables are located in the database? Tom Yes, they can exist in a different schema (as long as that schema is in the same physical database). One of the properties of the connection profile is the "PB Catalog Owner". You just specify the account that owns the PB catalog there. Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <Thomas Rundo> wrote in message news:44ea2268.3117.1681692777@sybase.com... > For the pbcatalog's, can they be created in a separate > Schema ...

Powerbuilder EBF's
The most recent patch for Powerbuilder Enterprise I can find is at Sybase > Support > Downloads > ... There, Powerbuilder Build 8011 is part of Consolodated EBF #2 for EAStudio. Other builds (8030, 8033) seem to be about. Can anyone tell me what build is considered "official". Also, where can I get these more recent builds and are there risks in applying them. Thanks very much. rpa In article <knrTnbl2$GA.204@forums.sybase.com>, rpa@xmission.com says... > > The most recent patch for Powerbuilder Enterprise I can find is at Sybase > ...

PowerBuilder DLL's
Hi: Does anyone know if it's possible to acces a PowerBuilder DLL from a non-PowerBuilder application, if it's not possible how can i create, in PowerBuilder, something like an API to be a accesed by other applications. Thank in advance. hi! In visual basic can write : Dim a as new object a.createobject("clase") // Excel use Excel.Application now, you can use your object with yours events... in PB use ConnectToNewObject luck., bye Jorge Alberto Ar�valo Ruiz wrote: > Hi: > Does anyone know if it's possible to acces a PowerBuilder DL...

PowerBuilder On Mac's
I understand that Powersoft has stopped supporting PB on the Mac. Does anyone know where I could find that information directly from Sybase. I have spent quite a bit of time on their site with no results! Thanks -- http://www.genesis-software.com jdouglas@genesis-software.com ******************************************************************** * You want me to remove what to send you mail, forget it! * ******************************************************************** On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:01:02 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Jim Douglas" ...

powerbuilder's orientation
Is it true that Sybase orients powerbuilder only to database appliation? but we wish it could provide more tools and functions used to develop more kinds of applications ,such as TCP/TP,multimedia and so on just like VB or Delphi does ,instead of calling winapi complicatedly. PB's strength has always been development of database-oriented business applications. The fact that native Windows functions are not in the box probably stems from PB's multiplatform origin - it used to run on Mac and two or three flavors of Unix. Encapsulating more of the Windows APIs in non-visual o...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder's Future.. Worry? - sybase.powerbuilder.general