Powerbuilder's future #2

Last year, there was another decline in Powerbuilder users
(http://www.visual-expert.com/us/info/survey_pb_2007_results.htm).
I think mainly it is because Sybase neglected a great
product. Although they say in the survey that the decline is
neglegible, Majority of the survey participants; if not all;
I believe are from the US. The question is HOW ABOUT THE
REST OF THE WORLD? for the past few years, I have been
tracking jobs sites in Australia just to see how "in-demand"
Powerbuilder is. For the past few years, there was a steady
decline in demand, The sad thing about the hirings is that,
it looked more like "mercy killing" rather than a demand.
And the reason I said that is because a lot of companies
hired powerbuilder developers, not to develop, but rather to
migrate existing PB projects to other languages (reason why
they need java/.net skills aside from PB). THAT, is very
sad. In thepast few months, powerbuilder hirings are
becoming scarce. Permanent positions are virtually gone, and
what's left are short term projects (By the way, there are
even job postings that says "migrate legacy Systems like
Powerbuilder" ).

Now, as Sybase is giving attention to powerbuilder again, it
has evolved into something very interesting and more
powerful. But with the steady decline of PB developers, PB
usage goes down the drain as well. A CIO was even saying
"there is a chronic shortage of powerbuilder developers. We
are thinking of moving to .NET" This is like the saying "Too
late the hero" just when PB is getting good again, everyone
has migrated to somewhere else.

Questions (based on a global scale):
1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
not like only US is using PB you know.)
2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
won't disappear?
3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
not talking about upgrading it)
4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
again?
0
Jeff
10/22/2008 4:32:32 AM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 19 followers. Follow

7 Replies
655 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 59

Where do you see anywhere in that survey that would support the
conclusion there was a decrease in the number of users?  Your
assertion may be correct, but the survey you're referencing doesn't
attempt to collect or report statistics on that kind of data.

Also, FWIW, the whole point of the powerbuilder.futures.discussion
group is to carry on the kind of questions you just posted on.
Perhaps you should repost over there (and lose the reference to the
Novalys survey or replace it with something that actually backs up
your assertion).

On 21 Oct 2008 21:32:32 -0700, Jeff wrote:

>Last year, there was another decline in Powerbuilder users
>(http://www.visual-expert.com/us/info/survey_pb_2007_results.htm).
>I think mainly it is because Sybase neglected a great
>product. Although they say in the survey that the decline is
>neglegible, Majority of the survey participants; if not all;
>I believe are from the US. The question is HOW ABOUT THE
>REST OF THE WORLD? for the past few years, I have been
>tracking jobs sites in Australia just to see how "in-demand"
>Powerbuilder is. For the past few years, there was a steady
>decline in demand, The sad thing about the hirings is that,
>it looked more like "mercy killing" rather than a demand.
>And the reason I said that is because a lot of companies
>hired powerbuilder developers, not to develop, but rather to
>migrate existing PB projects to other languages (reason why
>they need java/.net skills aside from PB). THAT, is very
>sad. In thepast few months, powerbuilder hirings are
>becoming scarce. Permanent positions are virtually gone, and
>what's left are short term projects (By the way, there are
>even job postings that says "migrate legacy Systems like
>Powerbuilder" ).
>
>Now, as Sybase is giving attention to powerbuilder again, it
>has evolved into something very interesting and more
>powerful. But with the steady decline of PB developers, PB
>usage goes down the drain as well. A CIO was even saying
>"there is a chronic shortage of powerbuilder developers. We
>are thinking of moving to .NET" This is like the saying "Too
>late the hero" just when PB is getting good again, everyone
>has migrated to somewhere else.
>
>Questions (based on a global scale):
>1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
>not like only US is using PB you know.)
>2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
>won't disappear?
>3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
>not talking about upgrading it)
>4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
>Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
>5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
>again?

0
Bruce
10/22/2008 5:20:18 AM
On 21 Oct 2008 21:32:32 -0700, Jeff wrote:

>Questions (based on a global scale):
>1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
>not like only US is using PB you know.)
>2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
>won't disappear?
>3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
>not talking about upgrading it)
>4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
>Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
>5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
>again?

Bruce is right (as always), you should take your question to the
futures group but since you posted here I will try to answer it anyway
- from my personal point of view as a PB12 developer.

We are currently putting a lot of effort in making PB12 more friendly
than you ever experienced before, removing the quirks and adding a
modern look&feel with WPF, language enhancements and effortless
integration with .NET. The idea is to once again be hip and give PB
developers the tool to create great looking apps. By adding these new
..NET features like CLS compliance we will make it easier to interop
with other .NET modules.  

Can it guarantee the PB "survival rate"? Well we are hopeful, our
surveys and international control group seem to think so.








BR
Anders
Sybase

--
(* disclaimer: opinions expressed above are mine and not (necessarily) Sybase official standpoint *)
0
Anders
10/22/2008 9:22:58 AM
Jeff, I hope you are able to attend one of the PowerBuilder seminars
I'll be giving in Sydney and Melbourne next month. 

See
http://www.sybase.com.au/about_sybase/events/SybaseInc.-PowerBuilderina.NETworld2008.html
for more information and to register. 

Sybase has seen four solid quarters of PowerBuilder sales since
version 11 was released. The European sales manager told me that
Europe had their best quarter in five years in Q3 (ended September
30th). 

>1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
>not like only US is using PB you know.)

As I mentioned above, PowerBuilder is doing well in all regions.
Australia and New Zealand may be a bit behind other regions in terms
of a revival in PowerBuilder but we are addressing that by increasing
our sales and marketing activities in that region. We had a very
successful event in Wellington last month and I'm hopeful we'll see
similar numbers of attendees at the Sydney and Melbourne events. 

>2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
>won't disappear?

In the current economic climate it is hard to say what jobs across the
globe will or won't disappear, not just PowerBuilder jobs. This
article might provide some hope for you:
http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-238550.html

IT is one sector that has been weathering this economic crisis better
than most. And while many of the job postings you've seen might
mention other technologies such as Java or C# that doesn't necessarily
mean it is a migration project. Many organizations use multiple
technologies and are looking for developers with skills in more than
just one product. 

>3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
>not talking about upgrading it)

We are conducting numerous roadshows, webcasts, recording videos, etc.
to promote PowerBuilder and its new features. Next week John Strano,
Sue Dunnell (the product manager) and myself will be at the Microsoft
Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles exhibiting a sneak
preview of PowerBuilder 12 and the new WPF Workshop. In other words we
are taking PowerBuilder directly to the Visual Studio developer base
to show them that PowerBuilder is and will continue to be a viable
development tool. 

>4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
>Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.

We have begun a number of programs with universities around the world
to implement PowerBuilder as part of the cirriculum. We have also
introduced a free Academic version of PowerBuilder 11.5. Our education
group is developing a Fast Track to PowerBuilder II training course
that moves beyond the traditional client server application
development training provided by the original Fast Track to
PowerBuilder training class. 

>5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
>again?

All of the above. We have also implemented a Customer Advisory Board
and are working closely with ISUG (International Sybase User Group) to
provide seminars and hands on training to user groups around the
world. 

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase


On 21 Oct 2008 21:32:32 -0700, Jeff wrote:

>Last year, there was another decline in Powerbuilder users
>(http://www.visual-expert.com/us/info/survey_pb_2007_results.htm).
>I think mainly it is because Sybase neglected a great
>product. Although they say in the survey that the decline is
>neglegible, Majority of the survey participants; if not all;
>I believe are from the US. The question is HOW ABOUT THE
>REST OF THE WORLD? for the past few years, I have been
>tracking jobs sites in Australia just to see how "in-demand"
>Powerbuilder is. For the past few years, there was a steady
>decline in demand, The sad thing about the hirings is that,
>it looked more like "mercy killing" rather than a demand.
>And the reason I said that is because a lot of companies
>hired powerbuilder developers, not to develop, but rather to
>migrate existing PB projects to other languages (reason why
>they need java/.net skills aside from PB). THAT, is very
>sad. In thepast few months, powerbuilder hirings are
>becoming scarce. Permanent positions are virtually gone, and
>what's left are short term projects (By the way, there are
>even job postings that says "migrate legacy Systems like
>Powerbuilder" ).
>
>Now, as Sybase is giving attention to powerbuilder again, it
>has evolved into something very interesting and more
>powerful. But with the steady decline of PB developers, PB
>usage goes down the drain as well. A CIO was even saying
>"there is a chronic shortage of powerbuilder developers. We
>are thinking of moving to .NET" This is like the saying "Too
>late the hero" just when PB is getting good again, everyone
>has migrated to somewhere else.
>
>Questions (based on a global scale):
>1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
>not like only US is using PB you know.)
>2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
>won't disappear?
>3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
>not talking about upgrading it)
>4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
>Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
>5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
>again?
0
Dave
10/22/2008 1:33:28 PM
Hi Jeff;

   FYI:
1) PB Sales are up 250% in Canada in 2007 - according to Sybase Canada.
2) PB Sales are up 500% in South America - according to Sybase at our last 
OSUG meeting.

   I am from Cooma, NSW, Australia - so I am "rooting" for you!  :-)
I hope PB sales rebound soon in Australia like we have seen here in Canada.

-- 
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director
http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com


<Jeff> wrote in message news:48feace0.56a7.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Last year, there was another decline in Powerbuilder users
> (http://www.visual-expert.com/us/info/survey_pb_2007_results.htm).
> I think mainly it is because Sybase neglected a great
> product. Although they say in the survey that the decline is
> neglegible, Majority of the survey participants; if not all;
> I believe are from the US. The question is HOW ABOUT THE
> REST OF THE WORLD? for the past few years, I have been
> tracking jobs sites in Australia just to see how "in-demand"
> Powerbuilder is. For the past few years, there was a steady
> decline in demand, The sad thing about the hirings is that,
> it looked more like "mercy killing" rather than a demand.
> And the reason I said that is because a lot of companies
> hired powerbuilder developers, not to develop, but rather to
> migrate existing PB projects to other languages (reason why
> they need java/.net skills aside from PB). THAT, is very
> sad. In thepast few months, powerbuilder hirings are
> becoming scarce. Permanent positions are virtually gone, and
> what's left are short term projects (By the way, there are
> even job postings that says "migrate legacy Systems like
> Powerbuilder" ).
>
> Now, as Sybase is giving attention to powerbuilder again, it
> has evolved into something very interesting and more
> powerful. But with the steady decline of PB developers, PB
> usage goes down the drain as well. A CIO was even saying
> "there is a chronic shortage of powerbuilder developers. We
> are thinking of moving to .NET" This is like the saying "Too
> late the hero" just when PB is getting good again, everyone
> has migrated to somewhere else.
>
> Questions (based on a global scale):
> 1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
> not like only US is using PB you know.)
> 2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
> won't disappear?
> 3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
> not talking about upgrading it)
> 4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
> Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
> 5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
> again? 


0
Chris
10/22/2008 4:33:44 PM
 Lucky SOG ... Canadian winter in Australia = = Summer!  :-)


"Dave Fish [Sybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message 
news:pn9uf4dr8sdl2ecag6pe8mv8u54n9s4k8e@4ax.com...
> Jeff, I hope you are able to attend one of the PowerBuilder seminars
> I'll be giving in Sydney and Melbourne next month.
>
> See
> http://www.sybase.com.au/about_sybase/events/SybaseInc.-PowerBuilderina.NETworld2008.html
> for more information and to register.
>
> Sybase has seen four solid quarters of PowerBuilder sales since
> version 11 was released. The European sales manager told me that
> Europe had their best quarter in five years in Q3 (ended September
> 30th).
>
>>1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
>>not like only US is using PB you know.)
>
> As I mentioned above, PowerBuilder is doing well in all regions.
> Australia and New Zealand may be a bit behind other regions in terms
> of a revival in PowerBuilder but we are addressing that by increasing
> our sales and marketing activities in that region. We had a very
> successful event in Wellington last month and I'm hopeful we'll see
> similar numbers of attendees at the Sydney and Melbourne events.
>
>>2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
>>won't disappear?
>
> In the current economic climate it is hard to say what jobs across the
> globe will or won't disappear, not just PowerBuilder jobs. This
> article might provide some hope for you:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-238550.html
>
> IT is one sector that has been weathering this economic crisis better
> than most. And while many of the job postings you've seen might
> mention other technologies such as Java or C# that doesn't necessarily
> mean it is a migration project. Many organizations use multiple
> technologies and are looking for developers with skills in more than
> just one product.
>
>>3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
>>not talking about upgrading it)
>
> We are conducting numerous roadshows, webcasts, recording videos, etc.
> to promote PowerBuilder and its new features. Next week John Strano,
> Sue Dunnell (the product manager) and myself will be at the Microsoft
> Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles exhibiting a sneak
> preview of PowerBuilder 12 and the new WPF Workshop. In other words we
> are taking PowerBuilder directly to the Visual Studio developer base
> to show them that PowerBuilder is and will continue to be a viable
> development tool.
>
>>4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
>>Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
>
> We have begun a number of programs with universities around the world
> to implement PowerBuilder as part of the cirriculum. We have also
> introduced a free Academic version of PowerBuilder 11.5. Our education
> group is developing a Fast Track to PowerBuilder II training course
> that moves beyond the traditional client server application
> development training provided by the original Fast Track to
> PowerBuilder training class.
>
>>5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
>>again?
>
> All of the above. We have also implemented a Customer Advisory Board
> and are working closely with ISUG (International Sybase User Group) to
> provide seminars and hands on training to user groups around the
> world.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase
>
>
> On 21 Oct 2008 21:32:32 -0700, Jeff wrote:
>
>>Last year, there was another decline in Powerbuilder users
>>(http://www.visual-expert.com/us/info/survey_pb_2007_results.htm).
>>I think mainly it is because Sybase neglected a great
>>product. Although they say in the survey that the decline is
>>neglegible, Majority of the survey participants; if not all;
>>I believe are from the US. The question is HOW ABOUT THE
>>REST OF THE WORLD? for the past few years, I have been
>>tracking jobs sites in Australia just to see how "in-demand"
>>Powerbuilder is. For the past few years, there was a steady
>>decline in demand, The sad thing about the hirings is that,
>>it looked more like "mercy killing" rather than a demand.
>>And the reason I said that is because a lot of companies
>>hired powerbuilder developers, not to develop, but rather to
>>migrate existing PB projects to other languages (reason why
>>they need java/.net skills aside from PB). THAT, is very
>>sad. In thepast few months, powerbuilder hirings are
>>becoming scarce. Permanent positions are virtually gone, and
>>what's left are short term projects (By the way, there are
>>even job postings that says "migrate legacy Systems like
>>Powerbuilder" ).
>>
>>Now, as Sybase is giving attention to powerbuilder again, it
>>has evolved into something very interesting and more
>>powerful. But with the steady decline of PB developers, PB
>>usage goes down the drain as well. A CIO was even saying
>>"there is a chronic shortage of powerbuilder developers. We
>>are thinking of moving to .NET" This is like the saying "Too
>>late the hero" just when PB is getting good again, everyone
>>has migrated to somewhere else.
>>
>>Questions (based on a global scale):
>>1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
>>not like only US is using PB you know.)
>>2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
>>won't disappear?
>>3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
>>not talking about upgrading it)
>>4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
>>Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
>>5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
>>again? 


0
Chris
10/22/2008 4:35:35 PM
"The idea is to once again be hip and give PB
developers the tool to create great looking apps. By adding these new
..NET features like CLS compliance we will make it easier to interop
with other .NET modules."

That's the main problem here. It will be again dead on arrival. PB was
successful  in 199x when it was ahead of others, when it provided simple yet
powerful tools for developing client-server things that very difficult or 
expensive to do
using competitive products; when database drivers were available no longer
than half a year after new major database version releases, etc..., etc...
As long as Sybase keeps doing with PB endless catch ups like "also CLR",
"also .NET", "also web", "also Java", etc... it is a dead end road, PB is
going to be always behind the curve and always not the best. Why cannot
Sybase just pick one area, focus on it, excel it, innovate, and leave all
competition far behind in that area? And of course make it work stable and
cost-affordable. And push it as hard as possible so that people can get to
know about it, and in that case PB will be reborn again and Sybase will see
old people coming back and new people joining.



Regards,
Dmitriy


"Anders Karlsson [Sybase]" <anders.karlsson_nospam@sybaZe.com> wrote in 
message news:miptf4d9240plvj8qeaj832sipon3d4k2m@4ax.com...
> On 21 Oct 2008 21:32:32 -0700, Jeff wrote:
>
>>Questions (based on a global scale):
>>1. What is the survival rate of PB in other countries? (its
>>not like only US is using PB you know.)
>>2. What are the chances that PB users/jobs across the globe
>>won't disappear?
>>3. What is Sybase doing to revive this great product? (I'm
>>not talking about upgrading it)
>>4. What is being done about the shortage of PB developers?
>>Because the more the shortage, the faster PB disappears.
>>5. what is Sybase doing to rally back people to using PB
>>again?
>
> Bruce is right (as always), you should take your question to the
> futures group but since you posted here I will try to answer it anyway
> - from my personal point of view as a PB12 developer.
>
> We are currently putting a lot of effort in making PB12 more friendly
> than you ever experienced before, removing the quirks and adding a
> modern look&feel with WPF, language enhancements and effortless
> integration with .NET. The idea is to once again be hip and give PB
> developers the tool to create great looking apps. By adding these new
> .NET features like CLS compliance we will make it easier to interop
> with other .NET modules.
>
> Can it guarantee the PB "survival rate"? Well we are hopeful, our
> surveys and international control group seem to think so.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> BR
> Anders
> Sybase
>
> --
> (* disclaimer: opinions expressed above are mine and not (necessarily) 
> Sybase official standpoint *) 


0
DE
10/25/2008 7:25:36 PM
On 25 Oct 2008 12:25:36 -0700, "DE" <devinshteyn@softtreetech.com>
wrote:

>"The idea is to once again be hip and give PB
>developers the tool to create great looking apps. By adding these new
>.NET features like CLS compliance we will make it easier to interop
>with other .NET modules."
>
>That's the main problem here. It will be again dead on arrival. PB was
>successful  in 199x when it was ahead of others, when it provided simple yet
>powerful tools for developing client-server things that very difficult or 
>expensive to do
>using competitive products; when database drivers were available no longer
>than half a year after new major database version releases, etc..., etc...
>As long as Sybase keeps doing with PB endless catch ups like "also CLR",
>"also .NET", "also web", "also Java", etc... it is a dead end road, PB is
>going to be always behind the curve and always not the best. Why cannot
>Sybase just pick one area, focus on it, excel it, innovate, and leave all
>competition far behind in that area? And of course make it work stable and
>cost-affordable. And push it as hard as possible so that people can get to
>know about it, and in that case PB will be reborn again and Sybase will see
>old people coming back and new people joining.
>
>

yep I agree, see the 'futures' NG.

I think profiling ourselves picking out what we are good at and then
excelling in that is exactly what we need to do instead of trying to
please everyone. Not being led but to lead.

BR
Anders
Sybase

--
(* disclaimer: opinions expressed above are mine and not (necessarily) Sybase official standpoint *)
0
Anders
10/28/2008 3:05:06 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Powerbuilder's Future
Hi. I am looking for some insight about Powerbuilder. First of all, does anyone know what share of the market Powerbuilder has compared to it's competitors. It seems to me it has lost a lot of ground the last few years but I don't have any hard facts to back up that statement. The reason I am afraid it has lost ground is because I see less job ads looking for PB programmers and also I know of several companies in my locality that have stopped developing with PB. Secondly, how hard is it to take a client-server application developed in PB and convert it to a web application? S...

PowerBuilder EBF's #2
It would be nice if Sybase posted why they have made an EBF. If we could know the errors that had been fixed we could avoid wasting time running in to them. And we could also avoid downloading EBF we do not need. Regards, Henrik Peder Madsen DM Software ...

Why Powerbuilder's future is .Net
Does Sybase think traditional PB need not to improve any more? ////////////////////////////////////// string ls_me ls_me = 'an honest PB customer' Choose case PBversion case < 'PB11' messagebox('Oh','I am be fed up with the ugly UI and I need B/S development') case 'PB11' #IF Defined PBNATIVE Then messagebox('God','any difference with PB6?') #Elseif Defined PBWEBFORM Then messagebox('Good','it is abstractive but performance need optimize') #Elseif Defined PBWINFORM Then ...

Powerbuilder's Future.. Worry?
Hello, Even though I love PB because of it's great ability for developing C/S apps, I really worry about it's future. Does anyone have similar worries ? Financially speaking, what promise does PB have for the next 5 years (besides maint.) ? -- Jamiel S. Humayun QuadLogic Controls, Inc. jamielREMOVE@quadlogic.com Please remove 'REMOVE' for my correct address Jamiel, I think that everyone is concerned to some extent. PB has become the new COBOL and most development work being done is maintenance. There are still tremendous opportunities for PB developers out there but its all a matter of how you position yourself. Depending on your skill level there are opportunities for: 1. High-level mentoring 2. OOAD (especially if you're proficient in HOW) 3. DB work 4. employing n-tier strategies 5. High-level PFC An area which I feel is extremely hot yet greatly neglected is the transitioning of PB apps to the web. If you were able to come up with an effective strategy for taking existing PB apps & migrating them to the web w/out having to rewrite 75% of your code, I think you'd have work for awhile. The key would be to show companies how to leverage existing resources & code to build the web-enabled apps. This could easily be turned into a seminar. (just send me my royalty check for the idea if you're successful <G>) Should you be concerned about your long-term prospects in the PB arena? I would tend...

Using PowerBuilder's or Infomaker's Query Painter in my applicatoin
I am at the point in my application where I would like to allow my users to create customized queries, and possibly reports. I have figured out how to use syntaxfromsql to convert sql to the special datawindow code, and this works find for me. But some of my users arn't as gifted in the sql department. So now I wish I had a nice GUI query builder. My question is; Is the query painter, and maybe even the datawindow painter accessable from Powerbuilder script kind of like an activeX? Or an object that I can drop into a window. I think I am to the point that I could recreate th...

One PowerBuilder app triggering an event on another PowerBuilder app's Frame
Running 2 concurrent PowerBuilder apps (both MDI). Is there a way to trigger a user event on the frame of one of the apps from the other? I can get a handle to the frame window, and I am guessing that a Send() of some kind would do the trick, but I don't know which parameters to use or where the parameters for the Send() are documented. Thanks for the help. I recently had the same situation. You can use send or post to send a message to a window in another application. First you need the handle of the window you are sending the message to. Since it is in another applica...

lost my PowerBuilder unless it's maximized #2
Hi...sorry for the repost, but I can't find my original or any answers anywhere. Not sure where it went, but I'll repost & hope for the best. From: "Trisha Gorr" <trisha.gorr@SPAMFREE.moh.gov.on.ca> Subject: lost my PowerBuilder unless it's maximized Date: August 13, 2003 4:28 PM Here's a silly little problem ... I can only see my PowerBuilder if I've got it maximized. If I try to restore it to it's previous size, it's gone. Can't see it anywhere. Somehow it must have gotten moved off the screen. I've snooped through my registry trying to find where it saves the window position settings, but haven't had any luck. I was looking thru HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\8.0 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\8.0 ... didn't see anything, but may have missed it. Any ideas (well other than always running it maximized) ??? Pb 8.0.2 ... Windows XP Thanks, Trish Go in to the pb.ini file. Find a setting called 'window'. Change the x,y and width/height to values that will make it visible on your desktop. Tim Wallace "Trisha Gorr" <trisha.gorr@SPAMFREE.moh.gov.on.ca> wrote in message news:3f4cc7ee$1@forums-2-dub... > Hi...sorry for the repost, but I can't find my original or any answers > anywhere. Not sure where it went, but I'll repost & hope for the best. > > From: "Trisha Gorr" &...

PowerBuilder 8 Deployment DLL's #2
I am looking for the list of the DLL files which needs to be shipped to the user (Windows XP) machine during the Application deployment. Thanks in advance: vutkin@exchange.ml.com Look in the HTML books, Application Techniques. There is a section on deploying the application. <Larry Utkin> wrote in message news:40699ca8.2fbb.846930886@sybase.com... > I am looking for the list of the DLL files > which needs to be shipped to the user (Windows XP) > machine during the Application deployment. > Thanks in advance: vutkin@exchange.ml.com ...

The Future's bright... the future's XAML!
Nice one Microsoft!I am, of course, referring to the absolutely outstanding job you guys are doing on XAML - in one fell swoop, you're doing away with the hideous botches that are HTML and CSS and replacing them with a technology that truly makes them look like the amateur, Open Farce tools they are!And the best thing about it is this: I don't care that MS is a corporate outfit, wishing to tie people to their brand... the falacy of Open Source is that there's a lot of good folk out their doing stuff for free... Google puts the lie to that. My customer's won't care that they're being tied to ...

What is MSSqlServer 2000's Bigint in powerbuilder 9.0.2?
how does the sqlserver 2000's bigint map to powerbuilder's datatypes? Long? longlong A standard datatype that is a 64-bit signed integer in the range -9223372036854775808 to 9223372036854775807. "Cfauvel" <TheFauvels@verizon.net> wrote in message news:42f8c76b$1@forums-2-dub... > how does the sqlserver 2000's bigint map to powerbuilder's datatypes? > > Long? > thanks...I think the datawindow may have an issue. I have two apps, both built on pb9.0.2, one uses the native database driver for sqlserver, and the other...

Using Henter-Joyce's JAWS program with PowerBuilder #2
Has anybody used JAWS program in conjunction with an application written in PowerBuilder? JAWS is a utility program written by Henter-Joyce. This program helps blind or visually impaired computer users use various computer applications. The product works majority of the time with PowerBuilder. The main problem areas are: Tabpage labels RadioButtons and CheckBoxes within a datawindow I would appreciate any information regarding JAWS used with PowerBuilder applicaitions. ...

How can I use another vendor's COM objects in PowerBuilder application? #2
I am planning to user another vendor's COM objects in our existing PowerBuilder Application. Can anyone provide detailed steps how to do it and also sample code ? Thank you. Vikram Suva wrote: > I am planning to user another vendor's COM objects in our existing > PowerBuilder Application. Can anyone provide detailed steps how to do it and > also sample code ? Thank you. > Look at the oleobject documentation (ConnectToNewObject(), etc.) I really recommend properly coding the ExternalException event for oleobject...it allows you to gracefully recover ...

Future of PowerBuilder #2
Hi, Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article about the future or the prospect of PowerBuilder?? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks AK; There are MANY threads in sybase.public.powerbuilder.futures.discussions NG. Here is a link to a very knowledgeable website: (http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future2 /powerbuilder_s_future2.html) HTH, Austin <AK> wrote in message news:3f3bf83f.5e1.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article > about the future or t...

The Future of Powerbuilder #2
I work for a fortune 500 company who is looking at developing a client server software package. It is of course geared to be web enabled as well as normal client server. As a Powerbuilder and Visual Basic programmer for more than 8 years I believe that going with Powerbuilder on this project is a good decision, my colleagues and managers does not. It has been rumored for some time now that Powerbuilder is dying a slow but eminent death and I'm rather saddened by this since I personally feel Powerbuilder is a great tool to work with. I couldn't find any substantial informa...

Datawindow's Date argument with PowerBuilder 8.0.1 and Oracle 9i 9.2.0.1
Hi, there: Does anybody know how to pass datetime type data from client side to server side in the datawindow? Can anybody recommend a good book about how PowerBuilder deals with Oracle, datawindow, embedded SQL? Thanks in advance. PB DateTime data type corresponds to the Oracle Date type. You can set a DateTime variable using constants, or use the Date function to make a Date from mm, dd, yy and DateTime function to convert it. What are you not finding in the PB help and online books? "sybase.working" <sybase.working@yahoomail.com> wrote in message news:eYBQOJqKDHA.345@forums-1-dub... > Hi, there: > > > Does anybody know how to pass datetime type data from client side to server > side in the datawindow? Can anybody recommend a good book about how > PowerBuilder deals with Oracle, datawindow, embedded SQL? Thanks in advance. > > Check out the upcoming pb9 book at http://www.pb9books.com. It has a complete chapter devoted to Oracle, although nothing specific about dealing with datetimes. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer/ http://www.pb9books.com "Jerry Siegel" <jerry@data-sci.com.nospam> wrote in message news:uTGKxfqKDHA.280@forums-1-dub... > PB DateTime data type corresponds to the Oracle Date type. You can set a > DateTime variable using constants, or use the Date function to m...

PowerBuilder Books on O'reilly's Safari
I just noticed that the book PowerBuilder9 Internet and Distributed Application Development is available at O'Reilly's Safari Books Online site: http://safari.oreilly.com/0672324997 Looks like you can even buy a PDF version from the informIT.com site too: http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0768663296 Any idea when (or if) the PowerBuilder Advanced Client/Server Development book will make it onto Safari? This is a great book and would be nice to have it preserved and accessible in an online format. Doug Porter DailyAccess Corporation Never...

What's up with Persona's Future?
Hey y'all, There's been a lot of confusion and concern over Persona's status. I'll get a blog post out on the Identity blog by this time next week, but until then, here are a few brief thoughts off the top of my head. - Persona is currently in maintenance mode. Critical bugs, service disruptions, and security fixes will still pre-empt other work until resolved. - Mozilla's new NOC (the "MOC") is taking over tier 1 incident response for Persona. We will have human-backed 24/7 monitoring of Persona, which should *improve* reliability and inciden...

How to detect if the 'cancel' button on Acrobat Reader's PDF print dialog window has been clicked when using Acrobat Reader ActiveX control in Powerbuilder 9
Product name: Acrobat Reader V5.0, Powerbuilder V9 Operating System: Windows XP I have an Acrobat Reader's ActiveX control on my window application to present and print PDF files. The application was developed using Powerbuilder V9. I need to know if a user has just printed a file then save the printed date into a database. The user can click the 'Cancel' button on the print dialog window from Acrobat Reader to cancel the printing. In this case I won't update the printed date. How can I know if the user has clicked the 'Cancel' button to cancel the printing? ...

PowerBuilder DLL's
Hi: Does anyone know if it's possible to acces a PowerBuilder DLL from a non-PowerBuilder application, if it's not possible how can i create, in PowerBuilder, something like an API to be a accesed by other applications. Thank in advance. hi! In visual basic can write : Dim a as new object a.createobject("clase") // Excel use Excel.Application now, you can use your object with yours events... in PB use ConnectToNewObject luck., bye Jorge Alberto Ar�valo Ruiz wrote: > Hi: > Does anyone know if it's possible to acces a PowerBuilder DL...

Powerbuilder EBF's
The most recent patch for Powerbuilder Enterprise I can find is at Sybase > Support > Downloads > ... There, Powerbuilder Build 8011 is part of Consolodated EBF #2 for EAStudio. Other builds (8030, 8033) seem to be about. Can anyone tell me what build is considered "official". Also, where can I get these more recent builds and are there risks in applying them. Thanks very much. rpa In article <knrTnbl2$GA.204@forums.sybase.com>, rpa@xmission.com says... > > The most recent patch for Powerbuilder Enterprise I can find is at Sybase > ...

Let's See What's Up Here #2
Name: KarleneT Email: karlenevcdatgmaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: Let's See What's Up Here Comments: Is this thing working right<a href=http://www.fha-203k-approved.com>,</a> I tried posting before and it never showed up. Is there just a lot of spam here<a href=http://www.sba-approved.com>,</a> or is there any useful info? Looking to meet new people to exchange info with<a href=http://www.adinida.com>,</a> so let's do this. Bye<a href=https://incentivebux.com/>,</a> <a href=http://bettingeuro2...

PowerBuilder pbcatalog's
For the pbcatalog's, can they be created in a separate Schema or do they have to reside where the main tables are located in the database? Tom Yes, they can exist in a different schema (as long as that schema is in the same physical database). One of the properties of the connection profile is the "PB Catalog Owner". You just specify the account that owns the PB catalog there. Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <Thomas Rundo> wrote in message news:44ea2268.3117.1681692777@sybase.com... > For the pbcatalog's, can they be created in a separate > Schema ...

General ?'s about DBD's and platforms
------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C0C1B3.2FD29310 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit PSCI_1I am relatively new to Perl, primary experience through Windows NT with limited knowledge of UNIX. I have been instructed to identify a corporate standard version of Perl and upgrade our desktops and servers. For servers we have NT, HP/UX and SunSolaris. We run Oracle 7 & 8, and DB2 UDB. Is it naive of me to think that I can have one standard build of perl for the corporation? I was thinking of having one, with DBD's for all our data...

Powerbuilder's incompetence
(I hate resorting to insults, but I really need some resolution, or enough evidence to compel my superiors that I must abandon PowerBuilder. My previous two posts on this went unanswered.) I've always believed that PowerBuilder was not an adequate environment for doing anything but simplistic data windows. Now this opinion is supported by the fact that PowerBuilder doesn't provide the correct environment to run ActiveX controls. I suppose all those stories from co-workers about bad experiences with anything resembling *real* *programming* should have warned me. My *first*...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder's future #2 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Resources last updated: 3/28/2016 12:13:48 PM