Powerbuilder or .Net

I have an old application that was written in Power++ (C++ tool with
datawindows) It appears that the newer versions of Sybase SQL Anywhere may
not be compatable with this old datawindow. The question is if i need to
replace this application would it be better to use .NET or Powerbuilder. I
know C++ and have never used Powerbuilder. My application uses several
hundred datawindows so I was guessing that Powerbuilder may be an easier
port. How difficult is it to learn Powerbuilder?

Thanks
TPS

0
TPS

Option #1...

Look at Datawindow.Net to port datawindows into a C# Framework.  Datawindows
can be used in .Net Applications with the release being this Friday.  Your
timing could not be better.

Rich

"TPS" <ts@scientexlc.com> wrote in message news:40fdacab$2@forums-1-dub...
> I have an old application that was written in Power++ (C++ tool with
> datawindows) It appears that the newer versions of Sybase SQL Anywhere may
> not be compatable with this old datawindow. The question is if i need to
> replace this application would it be better to use .NET or Powerbuilder. I
> know C++ and have never used Powerbuilder. My application uses several
> hundred datawindows so I was guessing that Powerbuilder may be an easier
> port. How difficult is it to learn Powerbuilder?
>
> Thanks
> TPS

0
Richard
7/20/2004 11:54:54 PM
I would be interested in learning more about the problems that you are
seeing. I is possible that you can solve the problem without needing to
migrate your code (or least not requiring an immediate move).

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

*

"TPS" <ts@scientexlc.com> wrote in message news:40fdacab$2@forums-1-dub...
> I have an old application that was written in Power++ (C++ tool with
> datawindows) It appears that the newer versions of Sybase SQL Anywhere may
> not be compatable with this old datawindow. The question is if i need to
> replace this application would it be better to use .NET or Powerbuilder. I
> know C++ and have never used Powerbuilder. My application uses several
> hundred datawindows so I was guessing that Powerbuilder may be an easier
> port. How difficult is it to learn Powerbuilder?
>
> Thanks
> TPS

0
Chris
7/21/2004 3:30:18 AM
After installing EBF 8.0.3.5002 my old power++ 2.1 datawindows stopped
working.
I get SQLSTATE=S1003 Program Type out of range error. On all datawindows.

The only other thing that occured at the same time was installing Visual
Studio 6 service pack 6.

TPS

"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
wrote in message news:40fde439@forums-2-dub...
> I would be interested in learning more about the problems that you are
> seeing. I is possible that you can solve the problem without needing to
> migrate your code (or least not requiring an immediate move).
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

> *
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
> and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
> medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

> *
>
> iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

> *
>
> "TPS" <ts@scientexlc.com> wrote in message news:40fdacab$2@forums-1-dub...
> > I have an old application that was written in Power++ (C++ tool with
> > datawindows) It appears that the newer versions of Sybase SQL Anywhere
may
> > not be compatable with this old datawindow. The question is if i need to
> > replace this application would it be better to use .NET or Powerbuilder.
> > know C++ and have never used Powerbuilder. My application uses several
> > hundred datawindows so I was guessing that Powerbuilder may be an easier
> > port. How difficult is it to learn Powerbuilder?
> >
> > Thanks
> > TPS

0
TPS
7/21/2004 4:48:13 PM
I'd point the finger at the VS SP.  There was an upgrade to ODBC a
while back that added new datatypes that older versions of
PowerBuilder don't know how to deal with.  It was largely an issue for
6.5 though, I'm suprised to see someone get that in 8.x.

On 21 Jul 2004 09:48:13 -0700, "TPS" <ts@scientexlc.com> wrote:

>After installing EBF 8.0.3.5002 my old power++ 2.1 datawindows stopped
>working.
>I get SQLSTATE=S1003 Program Type out of range error. On all datawindows.
>
>The only other thing that occured at the same time was installing Visual
>Studio 6 service pack 6.
>
>TPS
>

>"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
>wrote in message news:40fde439@forums-2-dub...
>> I would be interested in learning more about the problems that you are
>> seeing. I is possible that you can solve the problem without needing to
>> migrate your code (or least not requiring an immediate move).
>>
>> --
>>
>> Chris Keating
>> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

>> *
>> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
>> and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
>> medium sized business environments for free!
>>
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

>> *
>>
>> iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com
>>
>> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>>
>> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
>> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
>> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

>> *
>>
>> "TPS" <ts@scientexlc.com> wrote in message news:40fdacab$2@forums-1-dub...
>> > I have an old application that was written in Power++ (C++ tool with
>> > datawindows) It appears that the newer versions of Sybase SQL Anywhere
>may
>> > not be compatable with this old datawindow. The question is if i need to
>> > replace this application would it be better to use .NET or Powerbuilder.
>> > know C++ and have never used Powerbuilder. My application uses several
>> > hundred datawindows so I was guessing that Powerbuilder may be an easier
>> > port. How difficult is it to learn Powerbuilder?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > TPS

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Vote for PocketBuilder in the Mobile Village awards
http://www.mobilevillage.com/awards.htm

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has mutliple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
0
Bruce
7/22/2004 12:08:01 AM
Poor wording on my part. That was SQL Anywhere 8.03.5002. Power++ uses the
very old datawindow (version 5.x) i think.

TPS

Anywhere
> >may
Powerbuilder.

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Vote for PocketBuilder in the Mobile Village awards
> http://www.mobilevillage.com/awards.htm
>
> Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups
>
> Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
> http://www.codexchange.sybase.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

> DISCLAIMER:
>
> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
> is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
> message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
> that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
> it may not.
>
> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
> Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
> products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
> views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that
the
> author has mutliple personalities and hears voices in his head, the
contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.

0
TPS

PowerBuilder 11 and .NET: Callback function that passes foreign types to PowerBuilder
Hi I'm using a C# assembly to catch COM events (using IConnectionPoint etc) from a particular API. But instead of handling the events in .NET, I pass the information on back to PB so it simulates a type of callback. It seems to work, but I don't know for how long. This is the one the events that gets raised. The _notifyItemMethod is the name of the method on the PowerBuilder object. The _pbSession is obtained from the .Session property of the PowerBuilder object that I pass to the constructor of the event handler. public void NtfyItem(string oper, int flags, ...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

PowerBuilder.NET
What is the meaning of the .NET Compiler under PB ? Is going to be a generation of MSIL or C# code ?? Thanks You should ask this over in the powerbuilder.future_directions section, not a PocketBuilder section. On 31 Oct 2004 04:05:31 -0700, "Nestor" <nesfree@hotmail.com> wrote: >What is the meaning of the .NET Compiler under PB ? > >Is going to be a generation of MSIL or C# code ?? > >Thanks > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com TeamSybase blogs: http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs Two 3rd party books on develo...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

PowerBuilder . NET
What is the meaning of the .NET Compiler under PB ? Is going to be a generation of MSIL or C# code ?? Thanks Nestor wrote: > What is the meaning of the .NET Compiler under PB ? > > Is going to be a generation of MSIL or C# code ?? > > Thanks > > MSIL. -- Roy It means I will be able to use assemblies written in any MSIL compliant language in PB and vice versa? Leon Habinsky. "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in message news:41855a69$1@forums-2-dub... > Nestor wrote: > > ...

PowerBuilder.Net
I have mentioned this idea a couple of times but have not heard from any Sybase employees. I think that instead of spending a bunch of time and money adding .Net deployment to PowerBuilder they should instead create a brand new product called PowerBuilder.Net. PowerBuilder.Net would be a native .Net language that combined the best features of PowerBuilder ( DataWindow, the way inheritance works, etc ) with the .Net framework. Being able to reuse existing PB code in the new product isn't as important as being able to reuse developer knowledge. Allot of companies are c...

Sample program using powerbuilder .net and asp.net
Hai, I am beginner in pb.net . So please can you provide me a sample program using powerbuilder web application with asp.net. with thanks and regards POLACHAN PAILY ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Part of the point of WebForms (and WinForms) is that you can deploy any application to these targets without recoding. So, for a sample app, take any sample that comes with PB. <g> No special coding required. Of course, you have to make sure your app isn't dependent on unsupported features. Good...

Some plan for a .NET Pocket Powerbuilder? And for a .NET Compact DataWindow?
Jim O'Neal of Team Sybase respond to my request on DW.Net newsgroup that there is no plan for DataWindow.Net for Compact .Net Framework. Datawindow.Net is still unmanaged code and .Net Compact Framwork does not support unmanaged code. PocketPowerBuilder is for Pocket PC. I woner why would I care for its .Net version! Datawindow (not DW.Net) of Pocket PB works on Pocket PC with Pocket PowerBuilder. Regards. ...

Powerbuilder
long ll_rc dw_1.SETTRANSOBJECT(SQLCA) dw_1.retrieve() g_ole_crx_application = create oleobject g_ole_crx_report = create oleObject g_ole_crx_connection_info = create oleObject Resultset lrs_resultset ADOResultset lrs_adoresultset oleobject loo_AdoRecordset DataStore lds_temp lds_temp =create Datastore lds_temp.Dataobject="dw_print" lds_temp.settransobject(sqlca) lds_temp.retrieve() lrs_resultset=create resultset ll_rc=lds_temp.generateresultset(lrs_resultset) lrs_adoresultset = create adoresultset ll_rc = lrs_adoresultset.SetResultset(lrs_resultset) loo_AdoRecords...

About Powerbuilder...
Hi group, I've upgraded PB 6.5 with the last maintenance release but I always see Version 6.5 Build 444 into "About Powerbuilder..." in Help menu . It's right this? Thanks in advance Michelangelo INGRASSIA There *was* a bug at some point in the PB6 series that didn't report the correct build number. The best way to be certain that *all* the DLLs being loaded are the correct version is to use HandleEx from http://www.sysinternals.com and check all the PB*.DLL versions. This is also useful for troubleshooting, as more than one problem has been cause...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Web resources about - Powerbuilder or .Net - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles