Powerbuilder ODBC Connection Details

One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how
our application connects with their database.  Powerbuilder provides such
easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the
nuts and bolts of connecting.
When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc., does
the pb runtime expect to read?  Any other details are appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug

0
Doug
1/2/2002 4:34:25 PM
📁 sybase.powerbuilder.general
📃 62418 articles.
⭐ 19 followers.

💬 2 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1331 Views

1) The ODBC system files. This is so deeped rooted into the the Windows OS
that I cannot list the specific files. The ODBC system files are included in
MDAC, Microsoft Data Access Components. See
http://www.microsoft.com/data/whatcom.htm
2) The ODBC driver and other required files for the DBMS that is being used.
"Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message

> One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how
> our application connects with their database.  Powerbuilder provides such
> easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the
> nuts and bolts of connecting.
>
> When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc.,
does
> the pb runtime expect to read?  Any other details are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

0
Chris
1/2/2002 6:21:50 PM
When you specify SQLCA.DBMS= <something>.  PowerBuilder creates a DLL
name formed from "PB" + first three characters of <something> +
"70.DLL"  (or 80.DLL, etc. depending on version.  The LoadLibrary API
is used in PowerBuilder to load this DLL.  PBODB70.DLL is also
dynamically linked with ODBC32.DLL, which is the ODBC driver manager
from Microsoft.  From there it's really dependent on the individual
ODBC driver that's loaded - many require client libraries themselves
such as OpenClient for an ASE driver, SQL*Net for an Oracle driver,
etc.
If PowerBuilder cannot load PBODB70.DLL (and by extension ODBC32.DLL)
you get the familiar "DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current
installation' message.  If some other file is missing down the line
you will get an ODBC-generated message, which is typically something
cryptic like 'load of driver failed due to error 1167.'
For what it's worth, PowerBuilder does NOTHING with the DSN (or more
specifically, the ConnectString DBParm), it's just a piece of data
that's passed on directly to the ODBC driver itself.  PowerBuilder
doesn't understand what's in the string, just as the driver doesn't
understand when you put other DBParms, like DisableBind within the
ConnectString DBParm.
On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 08:34:25 -0800, "Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com>
wrote:

>One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how
>our application connects with their database.  Powerbuilder provides such
>easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the
>nuts and bolts of connecting.
>
>When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc., does
>the pb runtime expect to read?  Any other details are appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Doug

0
joneil