PowerBuilder & MS SQL Server 2000

We have an application that we would like to implement using PB 8.x as the
front end and MS SQL Server 2000 as the backend.  Just wondering how
homogenous the two really are.

I have searched through some of the old messages in the PB general newsgroup
in Google and I see instances of "this doesn't work here and this doesn't
work there".  Of course, a newsgroup like this is where you would get such
messages.

I know there are people that use it (SQL Server 2000) with PB.  I'm just
wondering how much, and with what degree of success?  Will anyone take a
guess as to the percent of PB appliations that use SQL Server as the
backend?

Is it safe to assume that SQL Server 2000 will be a safe substitute as a
back-end to an application we already have working in ASA?  I assume there
will need to be some code changes to make it work, but how many, how painful
and in the end, will it really work?

0
Woody

Been using several versions of MS SQL Server with PB.  With regard to 2000,
have been developing for a year with OLE DB which is the "new"  "native"
driver.  My only gripe with PB 8 is you cannot successfully create a new DW
from a stored procedure in some cases (such as a system procedure) or with
some connection methods (Windows NT trusted connection).  It's not key to my
project, so I haven't opened a case with Sybase.  It seems that PB 8 is unable
determine the names and formats of all the SP parameters correctly, and if it is

able to do that, it seems to be inserting CR LF between single quotes in strings

which are built as parameters.  I've had to go back to PB7 to create the DW and
then use EDIT SOURCE in PB8 to develop from there.  "Just" a painter issue.

I haven't found any performance problems or unexpected results in quite some
time,
so I'd say PB 8 works as well with MS SQL Server 2000 using OLE DB as it
ever did, with the exception of SP based DWs.  One other gripe was that OLE DB
seems to like to pad fixed char(x) columns to their full width with spaces.
Where
that did indeed matter, I changed the SQL to say rtrim(column).  Might be some
option in PB's DBPARM I could have used, but I felt on much higher moral
grounds actually coding in the RTRIM, since I felt indeed, one needs to code the

SQL to return the proper result set and not let the application do more work
than
necessary.

I wouldn't want to have the chore of converting from ASA to MS SQL Server,
though.  IMHO, ASA is rather low function compared to MS SQL Server 2000,
and I find myself coding SQL in 2002 like I never could before, saving lots of
app code in Powerscript, and obviating the need for SPs in the first place.

Woody wrote:

> We have an application that we would like to implement using PB 8.x as the
> front end and MS SQL Server 2000 as the backend.  Just wondering how
> homogenous the two really are.
>
> I have searched through some of the old messages in the PB general newsgroup
> in Google and I see instances of "this doesn't work here and this doesn't
> work there".  Of course, a newsgroup like this is where you would get such
> messages.
>
> I know there are people that use it (SQL Server 2000) with PB.  I'm just
> wondering how much, and with what degree of success?  Will anyone take a
> guess as to the percent of PB appliations that use SQL Server as the
> backend?
>
> Is it safe to assume that SQL Server 2000 will be a safe substitute as a
> back-end to an application we already have working in ASA?  I assume there
> will need to be some code changes to make it work, but how many, how painful
> and in the end, will it really work?

0
woz
12/12/2002 5:51:46 PM
SQL Server 2000 works well with PB.  Suggest that you use ole_db (SQLOLEDB)
and ANSI Join syntax. If you used an ANSI subset of SQL with ASA the move
should be easy.  SQL Server 2000 is basicly fast and easy to use.
To this date, we have not lost any data (or data coruption) with 25 or so
SQL server machines in 20 physical (remote) locations.  So if you limit your
discussion to "Windows" then SQL Server is probably the safe choice in every
respect.  If you include other database servers then there are other
choices, e.g. DB2, Sybase, Oracle.

A more specific question, might yeild more useful answers.

"Woody" <woody@splawns.com> wrote in message
> We have an application that we would like to implement using PB 8.x as the
> front end and MS SQL Server 2000 as the backend.  Just wondering how
> homogenous the two really are.
>
> I have searched through some of the old messages in the PB general
newsgroup
> in Google and I see instances of "this doesn't work here and this doesn't
> work there".  Of course, a newsgroup like this is where you would get such
> messages.
>
> I know there are people that use it (SQL Server 2000) with PB.  I'm just
> wondering how much, and with what degree of success?  Will anyone take a
> guess as to the percent of PB appliations that use SQL Server as the
> backend?
>
> Is it safe to assume that SQL Server 2000 will be a safe substitute as a
> back-end to an application we already have working in ASA?  I assume there
> will need to be some code changes to make it work, but how many, how
painful
> and in the end, will it really work?

0
Tyler
12/12/2002 5:55:41 PM
One major point is that ASA runs in chained mode and MSSQLServer runs in
unchained mode.  So you may want to do your own transaction management
and set AutoCommit = true.  Other than that you shouldn't really have
any major differences.

woz
I certainly would not consider ASA to be low functioning.  In what way
is it low functioning?

Michael Walker
Cascadia Software

woz wrote:
> Been using several versions of MS SQL Server with PB.  With regard to 2000,
> have been developing for a year with OLE DB which is the "new"  "native"
> driver.  My only gripe with PB 8 is you cannot successfully create a new DW
> from a stored procedure in some cases (such as a system procedure) or with
> some connection methods (Windows NT trusted connection).  It's not key to my
> project, so I haven't opened a case with Sybase.  It seems that PB 8 is unable
> determine the names and formats of all the SP parameters correctly, and if it is
>
> able to do that, it seems to be inserting CR LF between single quotes in strings
>
> which are built as parameters.  I've had to go back to PB7 to create the DW and
> then use EDIT SOURCE in PB8 to develop from there.  "Just" a painter issue.
>
> I haven't found any performance problems or unexpected results in quite some
> time,
> so I'd say PB 8 works as well with MS SQL Server 2000 using OLE DB as it
> ever did, with the exception of SP based DWs.  One other gripe was that OLE DB
> seems to like to pad fixed char(x) columns to their full width with spaces.
> Where
> that did indeed matter, I changed the SQL to say rtrim(column).  Might be some
> option in PB's DBPARM I could have used, but I felt on much higher moral
> grounds actually coding in the RTRIM, since I felt indeed, one needs to code the
>
> SQL to return the proper result set and not let the application do more work
> than
> necessary.
>
> I wouldn't want to have the chore of converting from ASA to MS SQL Server,
> though.  IMHO, ASA is rather low function compared to MS SQL Server 2000,
> and I find myself coding SQL in 2002 like I never could before, saving lots of
> app code in Powerscript, and obviating the need for SPs in the first place.
>
> Woody wrote:
>

>>We have an application that we would like to implement using PB 8.x as the
>>front end and MS SQL Server 2000 as the backend.  Just wondering how
>>homogenous the two really are.
>>
>>I have searched through some of the old messages in the PB general newsgroup
>>in Google and I see instances of "this doesn't work here and this doesn't
>>work there".  Of course, a newsgroup like this is where you would get such
>>messages.
>>
>>I know there are people that use it (SQL Server 2000) with PB.  I'm just
>>wondering how much, and with what degree of success?  Will anyone take a
>>guess as to the percent of PB appliations that use SQL Server as the
>>backend?
>>
>>Is it safe to assume that SQL Server 2000 will be a safe substitute as a
>>back-end to an application we already have working in ASA?  I assume there
>>will need to be some code changes to make it work, but how many, how painful
>>and in the end, will it really work?

0
Michael
12/12/2002 6:37:18 PM
>>In what way
is it low functioning?<<

TOP XXX <percent>
User defined functions (UDFs)
Parametrized views
Partitioned views
Instead of UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT TRIGGERS
Select list from (select list2 from.... )) etc.
Table variables
Full text index
OLAP
Transaction based real time replication (hot backup)
Log shipping
INFO_SCHEMA views

A few things you don't get elsewhere as such.  Not saying every app needs it, and if
you are talking purely the ANSI subset of SQL, it's no more better, true.  However,
the extras add up IMHO.  Your salesfolk may differ!

Michael Walker wrote:

> [...]
> >>front end and MS SQL Server 2000 as the backend.  Just wondering how
> >>homogenous the two really are.
> >>
> >>I have searched through some of the old messages in the PB general newsgroup
> >>in Google and I see instances of "this doesn't work here and this doesn't
> >>work there".  Of course, a newsgroup like this is where you would get such
> >>messages.
> >>
> >>I know there are people that use it (SQL Server 2000) with PB.  I'm just
> >>wondering how much, and with what degree of success?  Will anyone take a
> >>guess as to the percent of PB appliations that use SQL Server as the
> >>backend?
> >>
> >>Is it safe to assume that SQL Server 2000 will be a safe substitute as a
> >>back-end to an application we already have working in ASA?  I assume there
> >>will need to be some code changes to make it work, but how many, how painful

12/12/2002 7:09:20 PM
What is the reason for your decision to move from ASA to MS SQL Server?

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:09:20 -0500,
woz <abuse@msn.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > Where
>> > that did indeed matter, I changed the SQL to say rtrim(column).  Might be
some
>> > option in PB's DBPARM I could have used, but I felt on much higher moral
>> > grounds actually coding in the RTRIM, since I felt indeed, one needs to
code the

>> > SQL to return the proper result set and not let the application do more
work
>> > than
>> > necessary.
>> >
>> > I wouldn't want to have the chore of converting from ASA to MS SQL Server,
>> > though.  IMHO, ASA is rather low function compared to MS SQL Server 2000,
>> > and I find myself coding SQL in 2002 like I never could before, saving lots
of
>> > app code in Powerscript, and obviating the need for SPs in the first place.

-------------------
PB 9 is cool
0
egattu

PowerBuilder & MS SQL Server, v.7
Hi, Just a few simple questions. Will PowerBuilder access MS SQL Server v 7.0? Has anyone successfully connected to SQL Server 7.0? Did you connect using the Native driver or ODBC? Thanks in advance, Roman Hi!! Yes, with ODBC, and it's working fine. Jose Rivera Merla Hi!!! My ODBC send message "Program type out of range". Please send me Your configuration (ODBC number, MSSQL number, operating system W95/98 NT4/5). Its important for me. JRivera wrote in ...

Powerbuilder 10.5
I am trying to connect to SQL Server 2000 from PB 10.5 and it gives me error "DBMS MSS is not supported in your current installation." Can anyone help me with this ? I do not see any Native DLLs from Powerbuilder 10.5 for SQL Server 2000. How do I use OLEDB Drivers for this ? try using this... SQLCA.DBMS = "ODBC" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='Server=server1;UID=username;PWD=pass;Driver=SQL Server;Database=dbname'" hope this help mike <ADuvvuru> wrote in message news:46bb9f7b.1420.1681692777@sybase....

Powerbuilder 6.0 and MS SQL Server 2000
Greetings all! I have searched far and wide on the internet for the following problem. I have figured out a work around, but would like to know if anyone has solved the issue (other than the you need to upgrade answer). We have a PB 6.0 application with a MS SQL Server 2000 Database on an NT box. The application works fine, we have no problems running the application. The problem is in the development environment. I can connect to the database with MSS SQL Server 6.x native driver, but it has problems. It cannot create a datawindow without getting an error. It says&qu...

Powerbuilder 9
Hi, I am trying to get connected to Microsoft SQL server 2000 using SSL, through the native driver (MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0). Unfortunately, the code I am supporting is such that I can't change to ODBC or OLEDB easily. Is there a way to set the native driver to communicate using SSL? I tried DBPARM=Encrypt=1 and many other similar combinations, but no luck so far. Thanks, Brian ...

Connecting to MS Sql server 2000 thru PowerBuilder 5.0
We're connecting to MS Sql server 6.5 from PowerBuilder 5.0 using a Native driver. We want to upgrade to MS Sql server 2000. Does the native driver in PB 5.0 for MS Sql Server 6.5 support MS Sql server 2000 also ?? If not , whether Sybase provide a native driver to connect MS Sql server 2000 from PB 5.0 ?? Thanks & Regards, Ravi. No, neither SQL7 nor SQL2000 is supported from PB5. Some people have got SQL7 to work (don't know about 2000), but mostly it won't, certainly for us it wouldn't. The best thing to do is try it and see whether you get problems w...

MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000
We are migrating from MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000. We are using a Native connections and would like to know if there are any issues that we should be aware to do this correctly. TIA Adam Shepherd Are you sure about that? I have not experienced (or heard of) that kind of problem w/ 7.0. There are many other reasons why a table san is performed, but I don't think a numeric data type would cause it... Or are you talking about the PB problem of sending an Integer as 1. -- Kim Berghall Sisu Group, Inc. remove no_spam. no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com www.sisugrp...

which PowerBuilder edition works best w/MS SQL Server 2000 backend?
We recently upgraded to PowerBuilder Professional 7.0, and our next step is to convert our database server to MS SQL Server 2000. A question has been raised about whether PB Pro works well w/SQL Server, or do we need to upgrade to PB Enterprise edition? ...

PowerBuilder 4.0.3 & MS SQL server 6.5
From Enrique Rosales, Unisys Uruguay. Please, I need to know if is it compatible PowerBuilder 4.0.03 with Microsoft SQL Server 6.5? Thanks for your help. email: enriquerosales@unn.unisys.com >Please, I need to know if is it compatible PowerBuilder 4.0.03 with >Microsoft SQL Server 6.5? >Thanks for your help. > With the native drivers, I don't believe so. PB4.03 was compatible with MS SQL 6.0 with native drivers. When 6.5 came out, there were problems that were not fixed until I believe 4.07 (check with PS support to be sure about the release). Larry Cerm...

Powerbuilder 7 nested SELECT parameter MS SQL Server 2000 error.
Hello. I was reviewing a little bit more my problem and I can redefine it as Powerbuilder 7.0 executing SELECT with a parameter on its WHERE clause, nested within other SELECT and executed against a MS SQL 2000 database, gives an error. i.e.: SELECT DISTINCT field FROM table WHERE data IN ( SELECT data FROM othertable WHERE otherfield= :lsVariable); generates an error where SQLCA.SQLCode= -1 AND SQLCA.SQLErrText='SQL...

PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder
PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000 Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450) field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255 chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve? Please help me out if anybody knows the solution Thanks in advance because the native interface (Micr...

How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4?
Hi: How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4? It seems that the special connection inferface for "MSS Microsoft SQL Server" is canceled in PowerBuilder 10.5. I do not want to via ODBC. Thanks! Wu; No, MSS driver (actually Microsoft's NTDBLIB.dll) was cancelled by Bill Gates in SQLServer v7. It was supported in 2000 - but ANSI only with limited functionality and dropped for SS2000 and 2005 in the Unicode world. So your choices are: ODBC, OLE-DB and ADO.net. There is new SNC driver for PB 11 that is simil...

PowerBuilder & SQL Server 7.0 & ODBC
Hi All, I have a peculiar problem while connecting to SQL Server 7.0 From PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Enterprise through ODBC. I can connect from a windows 95 machine (where my client is) to a Windows NT4 (SP3) machine (where the server resides) via ODBC. I use the dll's provided by PowerBuilder. (PBODB050.dll, PBODB050.ini). Till this it is fine. The problem comes when my client is also in the NT Server (where the database resides). I can connect to SQL Server 7.0 from PowerBuilder 5.0.03 on windows NT4.0 but all the select statements which has Varchar type columns in it, returns null. ...

SQL Server Express & SQL Server 2000
I'm currently developing my website using SQL Server Express which comes by default with the Visual Web Developer. My hosting is using SQL Server 2000. Is the database I created using sql server express compatible with sql server 2000? Other databases hy hosting supported includes MySQL, Access, SQL Server 2000. Among these three, which one I best use on my site? My site doesnt involved much database activity. Thank you  Shuf wrote: Is the database I created using sql server express compatible with sql server 2000?Not so that you could just take SQL2005 database file and ...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder & MS SQL Server 2000 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles