PowerBuilder looses objects

Hi, I'm working with PowerBuilder 9.0.2 und WinXP SP2, and
everything seems to be fine.
But since today, my PB-application looses a lot of their
objects: when I edit one object and save it, then I can see
in the library, that a lot of objects (mostly datawindows)
disappear from the list.
When I try to copy the objects from a back-up library, there
comes up an error message "copy failed, possible causes: -
tried to copy to the same library, - invalid destination
library name, - no write permission". If I try to import the
objects from srd-files, it doesn't work too, with the
message "import failed, possible causes: - invalid import
file name, - invalid destination library name, - regenerate
of source failed, - import file missing header".
What am I doing wrong, and what can I do?
Please help!

Thank you,
Christoph
0
Christoph
7/9/2008 5:42:16 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 19 followers. Follow

9 Replies
831 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

I would create a new pbl and then import your objects into that pbl.  It 
sounds like your current pbl is corrupted.

-- 
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
http://casexpress.sybase.com
product enhancement requests:
http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

<Christoph> wrote in message news:4874f878.1841.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi, I'm working with PowerBuilder 9.0.2 und WinXP SP2, and
> everything seems to be fine.
> But since today, my PB-application looses a lot of their
> objects: when I edit one object and save it, then I can see
> in the library, that a lot of objects (mostly datawindows)
> disappear from the list.
> When I try to copy the objects from a back-up library, there
> comes up an error message "copy failed, possible causes: -
> tried to copy to the same library, - invalid destination
> library name, - no write permission". If I try to import the
> objects from srd-files, it doesn't work too, with the
> message "import failed, possible causes: - invalid import
> file name, - invalid destination library name, - regenerate
> of source failed, - import file missing header".
> What am I doing wrong, and what can I do?
> Please help!
>
> Thank you,
> Christoph 


0
Terry
7/9/2008 7:06:52 PM
Hi Terry,
thank you for your hint. I tried this method, but the effect
with the new pbl was the same after I imported all objects.
My opinion is now, that the window-object (which caused the
deletion of my other objects when I changed and saved it)
may be corrupted.
So I tried to create a new window, copied all objects and
functions, and it seemed to be ok. But at the last step,
when I added the menu-object, my datawindows had been
destroyed.
Because there is some wrong code in my window's functions,
it is really urgent that I can correct and save it!!
You can see the effect in the windows-explorer too: when the
pbl is good, the size is about 14 MB, but when it is
corrupted, the size is only about 400 kB (this value may
differ in each try).

Thanks in advance,
Christoph
0
Christoph
7/10/2008 7:36:22 AM
Hi Terry,
although the creation of a new PBL didn't work, I could
localize the problem beeing in the main window object.
After I deleted the object and imported it from an older
backup-version, the application was ok.
I don't know what did happen, but just a few minutes ago I
saw that deleted controls on this window hadn't been fully
removed from code. Maybe this caused the application to fail
(the source-code of the application was corrupted too) and
to loose objects.

I hope that this situation will hold on until I can finish
my project.

Thank you very much!

Christoph
0
Christoph
7/10/2008 11:46:40 AM
I'd recommend optimizing the PBL on a regular basis.  There's a
utility out there (optipbl) that you can use to do that from a script.

On 10 Jul 2008 04:46:40 -0700, Christoph wrote:

>Hi Terry,
>although the creation of a new PBL didn't work, I could
>localize the problem beeing in the main window object.
>After I deleted the object and imported it from an older
>backup-version, the application was ok.
>I don't know what did happen, but just a few minutes ago I
>saw that deleted controls on this window hadn't been fully
>removed from code. Maybe this caused the application to fail
>(the source-code of the application was corrupted too) and
>to loose objects.
>
>I hope that this situation will hold on until I can finish
>my project.
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>Christoph

0
Bruce
7/10/2008 12:54:08 PM
Bruce;

    We should ask Sybase to add this as a new entry in the ORCA Command Set!

For example "Optimize Library" as ...

start session
set liblist 
".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl;.\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl;.\datatypes\datatype.pbl;.\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
set application ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl" "qadbtest"
optimize library ".\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl"
optimize library ".\datatypes\datatype.pbl"
optimize library ".\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
end session

:-)

-- 
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director
http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com


"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
wrote in message news:3k1c7497d6t8osg5fbcrsfvt0mc0t72s7r@4ax.com...
>
> I'd recommend optimizing the PBL on a regular basis.  There's a
> utility out there (optipbl) that you can use to do that from a script.
>
> On 10 Jul 2008 04:46:40 -0700, Christoph wrote:
>
>>Hi Terry,
>>although the creation of a new PBL didn't work, I could
>>localize the problem beeing in the main window object.
>>After I deleted the object and imported it from an older
>>backup-version, the application was ok.
>>I don't know what did happen, but just a few minutes ago I
>>saw that deleted controls on this window hadn't been fully
>>removed from code. Maybe this caused the application to fail
>>(the source-code of the application was corrupted too) and
>>to loose objects.
>>
>>I hope that this situation will hold on until I can finish
>>my project.
>>
>>Thank you very much!
>>
>>Christoph
> 


0
Chris
7/10/2008 6:42:37 PM
Are you ethically forbidden from entering your own enhancement requests?
(I'll vote for this one anyway ;-)

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message 
news:4876581d@forums-1-dub...
> Bruce;
>
>    We should ask Sybase to add this as a new entry in the ORCA Command 
> Set!
>
> For example "Optimize Library" as ...
>
> start session
> set liblist 
> ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl;.\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl;.\datatypes\datatype.pbl;.\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
> set application ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl" "qadbtest"
> optimize library ".\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl"
> optimize library ".\datatypes\datatype.pbl"
> optimize library ".\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
> end session
>
> :-)
>
> -- 
> Regards ... Chris
> ISUG - NA RUG Director
> http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
> wrote in message news:3k1c7497d6t8osg5fbcrsfvt0mc0t72s7r@4ax.com...
>>
>> I'd recommend optimizing the PBL on a regular basis.  There's a
>> utility out there (optipbl) that you can use to do that from a script.
>>
>> On 10 Jul 2008 04:46:40 -0700, Christoph wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Terry,
>>>although the creation of a new PBL didn't work, I could
>>>localize the problem beeing in the main window object.
>>>After I deleted the object and imported it from an older
>>>backup-version, the application was ok.
>>>I don't know what did happen, but just a few minutes ago I
>>>saw that deleted controls on this window hadn't been fully
>>>removed from code. Maybe this caused the application to fail
>>>(the source-code of the application was corrupted too) and
>>>to loose objects.
>>>
>>>I hope that this situation will hold on until I can finish
>>>my project.
>>>
>>>Thank you very much!
>>>
>>>Christoph
>>
>
> 


0
Jerry
7/10/2008 7:36:30 PM
 Was that a "hint"?  :-)



"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com> wrote in message 
news:487664be@forums-1-dub...
> Are you ethically forbidden from entering your own enhancement requests?
> (I'll vote for this one anyway ;-)
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message 
> news:4876581d@forums-1-dub...
>> Bruce;
>>
>>    We should ask Sybase to add this as a new entry in the ORCA Command 
>> Set!
>>
>> For example "Optimize Library" as ...
>>
>> start session
>> set liblist 
>> ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl;.\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl;.\datatypes\datatype.pbl;.\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
>> set application ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl" "qadbtest"
>> optimize library ".\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl"
>> optimize library ".\datatypes\datatype.pbl"
>> optimize library ".\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
>> end session
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> -- 
>> Regards ... Chris
>> ISUG - NA RUG Director
>> http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>>
>>
>> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com> 
>> wrote in message news:3k1c7497d6t8osg5fbcrsfvt0mc0t72s7r@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> I'd recommend optimizing the PBL on a regular basis.  There's a
>>> utility out there (optipbl) that you can use to do that from a script.
>>>
>>> On 10 Jul 2008 04:46:40 -0700, Christoph wrote:
>>>
>>>>Hi Terry,
>>>>although the creation of a new PBL didn't work, I could
>>>>localize the problem beeing in the main window object.
>>>>After I deleted the object and imported it from an older
>>>>backup-version, the application was ok.
>>>>I don't know what did happen, but just a few minutes ago I
>>>>saw that deleted controls on this window hadn't been fully
>>>>removed from code. Maybe this caused the application to fail
>>>>(the source-code of the application was corrupted too) and
>>>>to loose objects.
>>>>
>>>>I hope that this situation will hold on until I can finish
>>>>my project.
>>>>
>>>>Thank you very much!
>>>>
>>>>Christoph
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
Chris
7/11/2008 11:52:41 AM
On Jul 11, 3:42=A0am, "Chris Pollach" <cpoll...@travel-net.com> wrote:
> Bruce;
>
> =A0 =A0 We should ask Sybase to add this as a new entry in the ORCA Comma=
nd Set!
>
> For example "Optimize Library" as ...
>
> start session
> set liblist
> ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl;.\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl;.\datatypes\datatype=
..pbl;.\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
> set application ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl" "qadbtest"
> optimize library ".\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl"
> optimize library ".\datatypes\datatype.pbl"
> optimize library ".\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
> end session
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Regards ... Chris
> ISUG - NA RUG Directorhttp://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com>
> wrote in messagenews:3k1c7497d6t8osg5fbcrsfvt0mc0t72s7r@4ax.com...
>
>
>
> > I'd recommend optimizing the PBL on a regular basis. =A0There's a
> > utility out there (optipbl) that you can use to do that from a script.
>
> > On 10 Jul 2008 04:46:40 -0700, Christoph wrote:
>
> >>Hi Terry,
> >>although the creation of a new PBL didn't work, I could
> >>localize the problem beeing in the main window object.
> >>After I deleted the object and imported it from an older
> >>backup-version, the application was ok.
> >>I don't know what did happen, but just a few minutes ago I
> >>saw that deleted controls on this window hadn't been fully
> >>removed from code. Maybe this caused the application to fail
> >>(the source-code of the application was corrupted too) and
> >>to loose objects.
>
> >>I hope that this situation will hold on until I can finish
> >>my project.
>
> >>Thank you very much!
>
> >>Christoph

Firstly, optimize shouldn't be dependent on having a library list. You
should be able to call it outside a "start session" command.
Second, PB isn't that great at optimizing, the directory entries it
creates don't form a very balanced tree. Though these days that's all
cached so it doesn't really matter.

0
Jeremy
7/14/2008 3:35:22 AM
Firstly, I agree.
Second, optimize is more like a defragmentation (or compress a PDS if you 
grew up in the Big Iron era). Disk space is so cheap these days that free 
space doesn't matter much, but cleaning up possible old pointers to earlier 
versions of code can be.
Being able to include optimize in a nightly scheduled run would be very 
handy for those who do not use PowerGen.

"Jeremy Lakeman" <jeremy.lakeman@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:d3d7a0cc-33e1-4511-8335-1244a26c4c68@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
On Jul 11, 3:42 am, "Chris Pollach" <cpoll...@travel-net.com> wrote:
> Bruce;
>
> We should ask Sybase to add this as a new entry in the ORCA Command Set!
>
> For example "Optimize Library" as ...
>
> start session
> set liblist
> ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl;.\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl;.\datatypes\datatype.pbl;.\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
> set application ".\qadbtest\qadbtest.pbl" "qadbtest"
> optimize library ".\shared_obj\shared_obj.pbl"
> optimize library ".\datatypes\datatype.pbl"
> optimize library ".\chgreqs\chgreqs.pbl"
> end session
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Regards ... Chris
> ISUG - NA RUG Directorhttp://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com>
> wrote in messagenews:3k1c7497d6t8osg5fbcrsfvt0mc0t72s7r@4ax.com...
>
>
>
> > I'd recommend optimizing the PBL on a regular basis. There's a
> > utility out there (optipbl) that you can use to do that from a script.
>
> > On 10 Jul 2008 04:46:40 -0700, Christoph wrote:
>
> >>Hi Terry,
> >>although the creation of a new PBL didn't work, I could
> >>localize the problem beeing in the main window object.
> >>After I deleted the object and imported it from an older
> >>backup-version, the application was ok.
> >>I don't know what did happen, but just a few minutes ago I
> >>saw that deleted controls on this window hadn't been fully
> >>removed from code. Maybe this caused the application to fail
> >>(the source-code of the application was corrupted too) and
> >>to loose objects.
>
> >>I hope that this situation will hold on until I can finish
> >>my project.
>
> >>Thank you very much!
>
> >>Christoph

Firstly, optimize shouldn't be dependent on having a library list. You
should be able to call it outside a "start session" command.
Second, PB isn't that great at optimizing, the directory entries it
creates don't form a very balanced tree. Though these days that's all
cached so it doesn't really matter.


0
Jerry
7/14/2008 7:30:45 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10
Hi all We have migrated our application from powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10. after migration to version 10, alignment in most of reports disturbed. please advice me some solution. On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:45:01 +0100, Adnan Jamil <adnanjamil@nji.com.pk> wrote: > Hi all > > We have migrated our application from powerbuilder 5 to powerbuilder 10. > after migration to version 10, alignment in most of reports disturbed. > please advice me some solution. Adnan, Is this a SQL Anywhere question? If not, you have posted to the wrong forum. If yes,...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder
We use PB6.5. We would want to use a DLL create from PB in a PB application. We compiled an a PBL as DLL. After we tried to use DLL in a user object external, but without success. How can we do to use DLL create from PB or use in a new PB application some object (visual and no) before compiled with PB? Any help will be appreciated. Saul.Convalle@mail.cec.it Thanks When you create a DLL from a PB library it is not really a standard Windows DLL. I'm not sure what the difference is. If you are making calls from PB then just use the standard PB calling syntax the ...

powerbuilder com object vs pocketbuilder .... object
Our powerbuilder application is sending information to a feeding machine by calling a com object. Our program now runs on a mobile device. The software is written with pocketbuilder 2.04. Now we would also like to have the connection with this feeding machine. I talked to the supplier of the feeding machine. He told me that the com object was written in Visual studio C. The simplest solution for them would be to create a .Net object. Is this the way to go? Thanks Eric Up on CodeXChange we have a handful of "adapter" layers (sometimes called "shims&quo...

Upgrade to PowerBuilder 9 or PowerBuilder 10?
Hi, Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using version 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10. Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10? What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a lot of bugs? Best regards, Ronald Ommundsen e-mail: ronald.ommundsen@gard.no Ron; If you have any hope of running the applications in the future on XP, W2003 or soon to be W2006 (LongHorn) you will have to jump over to UniCode - ie PB10. So personally, I would recommend starting with P...

Migrating PowerBuilder 8 to Powerbuilder 11
Hi, I am migrating a PFC based Powerbuilder 8 App. to PowerBuilder 11, I am getting errors like illegal data type. for a NVO n_cst_platformwin32 i am getting a syntax error, its not allowing me to open that object. Requesting your help thanks & regards Vimal Sanghvi If you're object (or any related object) failed to migrate successfully, you won't be able to edit it in a regular painter; you'll have to Edit Source to modify it. If you're migrating, a glance through my Migration Guide (see below) may help. The methodology there would allow you to identify...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris hi, I'v tested it yet, i couldn't use it with the global/local external functions declarations method. It could be that some components need to be initialized first and global/local e...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
From: "Chris Fauvel" <chris_fauvel@fintech.net> Subject: Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript?? Date: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 2:33 PM I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris Use the C...

Version of PowerBuilder (ref: Creating database for PowerBuilder)
I'm using PowerBuilder v8.0 and would like to create a notification system for my practiculum project. I'd like to use Access to create the database. Please enlighten me on what should I create (e.g. tables, queries) for the usage of it. Thank You. Regards, Yang Ashra Don't double post, it's bad etiquette. Unless you have a very good reason to do so, we recommend you don't use Access. Use SQL Anywhere instead - it's more stable - and a far better database in my opinion. PowerBuilder (enterprise) supports just about every database out there, so if you...

Powerbuilder
long ll_rc dw_1.SETTRANSOBJECT(SQLCA) dw_1.retrieve() g_ole_crx_application = create oleobject g_ole_crx_report = create oleObject g_ole_crx_connection_info = create oleObject Resultset lrs_resultset ADOResultset lrs_adoresultset oleobject loo_AdoRecordset DataStore lds_temp lds_temp =create Datastore lds_temp.Dataobject="dw_print" lds_temp.settransobject(sqlca) lds_temp.retrieve() lrs_resultset=create resultset ll_rc=lds_temp.generateresultset(lrs_resultset) lrs_adoresultset = create adoresultset ll_rc = lrs_adoresultset.SetResultset(lrs_resultset) loo_AdoRecords...

What is PowerBuilder?
Hello experts I am a student in CS, I am going to write a paper about Rapid application development using PowerBuilder. I need some articles about the arhitecture of PB and how PB fulfill rapid application development's requirement? Should any experts have such articles or journals, please kindly email. thank you very much! SOS -- Best Regards Reply Address->'mailto:seeker@netvigator.com' Paul Ho Why don't you visit http://www.powersoft.com and browse the products section. You will get a lot of information/white papers etc. If you're inte...

About Powerbuilder...
Hi group, I've upgraded PB 6.5 with the last maintenance release but I always see Version 6.5 Build 444 into "About Powerbuilder..." in Help menu . It's right this? Thanks in advance Michelangelo INGRASSIA There *was* a bug at some point in the PB6 series that didn't report the correct build number. The best way to be certain that *all* the DLLs being loaded are the correct version is to use HandleEx from http://www.sysinternals.com and check all the PB*.DLL versions. This is also useful for troubleshooting, as more than one problem has been cause...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0
Hello NG ,,, I have a strange problem , installed both versions of PowerBuilder on the same machine having Windows XP. under Program files\Sybase9 - > PB9.0 was installed . under Program files\Sybase10- > PB10.0 was installed, I was working on XML workspace in PB9.0 where in the library list PBDOM90.PBD was included. By mistake , I opened the same workspace in PB10.0 and the application was migrated completed. Later coming back to PB9.0 and opening the same workspace , found that , in the system tree PDB files has zero object, It is not showing anything and the appl...

Powerbuilder
We're developing a to-sell-system for the restaurants industry. The system has PC and handheld (PocketPC) interfaces. I would like to use PowerBuilder to develop the UI, but I need to know if it is supported the development for the handhelds interface too?? and which specialized (good looking) forms or buttons I could use for the development?? This forum is for source code control questions - better to post in the general forum.. -- Evita R. Chapa Senior Systems Analyst II Command Technologies, Inc. <Mynor_Paredes> wrote in message news:F5DFEA0D01AB9EB700...

Powerbuilder
I am a new PB 6 developer. I want to create setup for my application exe. How do I do it using Installshield free. I have to copy sqlanywhere database to clients PC through the setup.I connect the DB through ODBC.Can anyone pl guide me. thanks. Shaikh moin If you are using ASA 6 then look in the Help... ASA User's Guide PART 4. Database Administration and Advanced Use CHAPTER 27. Deploying Databases and Applications Using a silent installation for deployment If you are using SQL Anywhere 5 try looking here... SQL Anywhere User's Guide ...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder looses objects - sybase.powerbuilder.general

PowerBuilder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PowerBuilder is an integrated development environment owned by Sybase , a division of SAP . It has been in use since 1991, peaking around 1998 ...

Sybase PowerBuilder tool readied for Microsoft's .Net
... Win32 or newer style .Net development After several years of work, Sybase is ready to deliver on the final step in its plan to move PowerBuilder ...

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Open Directory - Computers: Programming: Languages
about dmoz - dmoz blog - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Programming/Languages Description Top : Computers : Programming ...

The HP Booth Staff (Goons) Owe Me an Apology
... when you might need to use it. For instance, when I was in the WinRunner world there were plugins for driving terminal emulators and powerbuilder ...

Contact Us - Sybase Inc
Thanks for visiting the 主页 section of Sybase.com. Here you will find information about Contact Us. For more information about Business Intelligence, ...

热门搜索 - 我的异常网
... 我的异常网 » 热门搜索 sdpnet2 移动【A111】其它用户原因鉴权失败,是什么意思啊 http:// 192.168.1.102:22578 本网站服务器位于美国,受美国法律保护 MiniUI js 破解 http://192.168.1.103:8080/ powerbuilder ...

Mobile app security: Always keep the back door locked
The best way to keep mobile apps safe is to secure the services they connect to.

10 Tech Skills That Will Instantly Net You A $100,000+ Salary
... that let's developers run Java applications. Java is highly popular language for writing web apps and custom enterprise apps. No. 8: PowerBuilder ...

Top Ranked Articles
Top Ranked Articles - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 23 Feb 2013

Resources last updated: 12/18/2015 9:58:26 PM