Powerbuilder application "crashing" another powerbuilder application

This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem for
messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002.
***************
Hi All,
I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it
seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B)
built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to
trigger Dr Watson on App A.
There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives
triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another
function sitting on another main window. That function will then
"post" (ie not trigger) certain activities on the application.
Dr Watson on App A appears when there is a trigger to the OCX and when
the focus of the windows is on App B. However, if the focus is on App
A, no Dr Watson is observed.
There has also been cases of Dr Watson appearing when
1) Toggling between applications
2) Performing update activies on App B
App A works fine if App B is not launched.
Please advise as to which area I should look into to identify the
problem.
Could the problem lie within the OCX? or could there have be a
conflict of Powerbuilder dlls? If it is the dlls, is there a
workaround?
The Dr Watson message generated was : "Access Violation"
Thanks.
Regards,
Li Lin
NB: There are other powerbuilder applications built on PB version 6.0
running on the same PC and they seem to be pretty stable.
0
Li_Lin
7/24/2002 4:41:09 PM
📁 sybase.powerbuilder.general
📃 62418 articles.
⭐ 19 followers.

💬 8 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1715 Views

There is a document on my.sybase that may help:
my.sybase.com/detail?id=47783
This describes how to set up multiple versions of PB on the same machine.
--
Regards,
Millard[TeamSybase]

<Li_Lin> wrote in message
> This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem
for
> messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002.
> ***************
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it
> seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B)
> built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to
> trigger Dr Watson on App A.
>
> There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives
> triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another
> function sitting on another main window. That function will then
> "post" (ie not trigger) certain activities on the application.
>
> Dr Watson on App A appears when there is a trigger to the OCX and when
> the focus of the windows is on App B. However, if the focus is on App
> A, no Dr Watson is observed.
>
> There has also been cases of Dr Watson appearing when
> 1) Toggling between applications
> 2) Performing update activies on App B
>
> App A works fine if App B is not launched.
>
> Please advise as to which area I should look into to identify the
> problem.
>
> Could the problem lie within the OCX? or could there have be a
> conflict of Powerbuilder dlls? If it is the dlls, is there a
> workaround?
>
> The Dr Watson message generated was : "Access Violation"
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Li Lin
> NB: There are other powerbuilder applications built on PB version 6.0
> running on the same PC and they seem to be pretty stable.

0
Millard
7/24/2002 8:14:05 PM
There was a similar problem listed by Dale Fox (see URL as below)
<a
href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=pL0vCVrxAHA.205%40forums.sybase.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522treeview%2522%2B%252B%2B%2522response%2Bwindow%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8">URL
</a>
Terry Voth(from TeamSybase)was replying to that problem.
Was there any resolution to that problem?
Regards,
Li Lin

0
Li_Lin
7/25/2002 5:29:36 AM
Make sure that the PB runtime DLLs of the appropriate version are in the
same directory as each of the applications.
--
All views expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer

<Li_Lin> wrote in message
> This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem
for
> messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002.
> ***************
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it
> seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B)
> built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to
> trigger Dr Watson on App A.
>
> There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives
> triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another
> function sitting on another main window. That function will then
> "post" (ie not trigger) certain activities on the application.
>
> Dr Watson on App A appears when there is a trigger to the OCX and when
> the focus of the windows is on App B. However, if the focus is on App
> A, no Dr Watson is observed.
>
> There has also been cases of Dr Watson appearing when
> 1) Toggling between applications
> 2) Performing update activies on App B
>
> App A works fine if App B is not launched.
>
> Please advise as to which area I should look into to identify the
> problem.
>
> Could the problem lie within the OCX? or could there have be a
> conflict of Powerbuilder dlls? If it is the dlls, is there a
> workaround?
>
> The Dr Watson message generated was : "Access Violation"
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Li Lin
> NB: There are other powerbuilder applications built on PB version 6.0
> running on the same PC and they seem to be pretty stable.

0
Simon
7/25/2002 8:37:58 AM
....also ensure that there aren't any PB DLLs elsewhere in the path, eg
Windows or Windows/System.
--
All views expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer

"Simon Caldwell [TeamSybase]" <simonDOTcaldwellATbigfootDOTcom> wrote in
message news:GATlyg7MCHA.317@forums.sybase.com...
> Make sure that the PB runtime DLLs of the appropriate version are in the
> same directory as each of the applications.
>
> --
> All views expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those
of
> my employer
>

> <Li_Lin> wrote in message
> > This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem
> for
> > messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002.
> > ***************
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it
> > seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B)
> > built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to
> > trigger Dr Watson on App A.
> >
> > There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives
> > triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another
> > function sitting on another main window. That function will then
> > "post" (ie not trigger) certain activities on the application.
> >
> > Dr Watson on App A appears when there is a trigger to the OCX and when
> > the focus of the windows is on App B. However, if the focus is on App
> > A, no Dr Watson is observed.
> >
> > There has also been cases of Dr Watson appearing when
> > 1) Toggling between applications
> > 2) Performing update activies on App B
> >
> > App A works fine if App B is not launched.
> >
> > Please advise as to which area I should look into to identify the
> > problem.
> >
> > Could the problem lie within the OCX? or could there have be a
> > conflict of Powerbuilder dlls? If it is the dlls, is there a
> > workaround?
> >
> > The Dr Watson message generated was : "Access Violation"
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Li Lin
> > NB: There are other powerbuilder applications built on PB version 6.0
> > running on the same PC and they seem to be pretty stable.

0
Simon
7/25/2002 8:39:02 AM
Dale's problem seemed to be specifically related to treeviews. I'm not
aware of whether or not he came up with a solution.
In your case, my first inclination would be to suspect that it's a
poorly behaved OCX. However, proving that will be quite a challenge.
Good luck,
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:29:36 -0400, Li_Lin wrote:
>There was a similar problem listed by Dale Fox (see URL as below)
>
><a
>href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=pL0vCVrxAHA.205%40forums.sybase.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522treeview%2522%2B%252B%2B%2522response%2Bwindow%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8">URL
></a>
>
>Terry Voth(from TeamSybase)was replying to that problem.
>
>Was there any resolution to that problem?

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
7/25/2002 5:56:14 PM
I was advised to upgrade to build 10160 for PB 7.0.3.
However, I can't seem to locate it on the Sybase Developer website.
Would appreciate it if you could direct me to the correct location.
Regards,
Li Lin

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> Dale's problem seemed to be specifically related to treeviews. I'm not
> aware of whether or not he came up with a solution.
>
> In your case, my first inclination would be to suspect that it's a
> poorly behaved OCX. However, proving that will be quite a challenge.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:29:36 -0400, Li_Lin wrote:
>
> >There was a similar problem listed by Dale Fox (see URL as below)
> >
> ><a
>
>href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=p
L0vCVrxAHA.205%40forums.sybase.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522treeview%2
522%2B%252B%2B%2522response%2Bwindow%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26o
e%3DUTF-8">URL
> ></a>
> >
> >Terry Voth(from TeamSybase)was replying to that problem.
> >
> >Was there any resolution to that problem?
>

> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.1.01 now available at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Li
7/25/2002 6:41:57 PM
If you were advised by Sybase support, they should be pointing you to
the right place. However, the latest public build is 10135 (under the
label "PowerBuilder Enterprise - 7.0.3 Release for EAServer 4.1.1").
Ever teach your kids not to take candy from strangers? Well, I'd
consider suggestions to take private builds from someone other that
tech support in the same light, unless there was pretty good evidence
that this build documented that it solved your problem and a public
build didn't.
Good luck,
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:41:57 +0800, "Li Lin Ng"
<li_lin_ng@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I was advised to upgrade to build 10160 for PB 7.0.3.
>
>However, I can't seem to locate it on the Sybase Developer website.
>
>Would appreciate it if you could direct me to the correct location.
>
>Regards,
>Li Lin
>

>"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>> Dale's problem seemed to be specifically related to treeviews. I'm not
>> aware of whether or not he came up with a solution.
>>
>> In your case, my first inclination would be to suspect that it's a
>> poorly behaved OCX. However, proving that will be quite a challenge.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:29:36 -0400, Li_Lin wrote:
>>
>> >There was a similar problem listed by Dale Fox (see URL as below)
>> >
>> ><a
>>
>>href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=p
>L0vCVrxAHA.205%40forums.sybase.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522treeview%2
>522%2B%252B%2B%2522response%2Bwindow%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26o
>e%3DUTF-8">URL
>> ></a>
>> >
>> >Terry Voth(from TeamSybase)was replying to that problem.
>> >
>> >Was there any resolution to that problem?

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
The problem has been solved when i put in PB7.0.3 build 10160.
http://info.sybase.com/CGI-BIN/OM_ISAPI.DLL?clientID=163285&advquery=10160&i
nfobase=tstex4.nfo&record={D5E}&recordswithhits=on&softpage=Document
The case description is similar to the problem that I had.
Case Description:
PB 7.0.3 10079 (Build). Dr Watson error appears when clients go from one
apps to another. If they open windows in Apps A and switch to Apps B prior
to apps A window actually displaying, it causes Dr. Watson in apps A.
and the reason provided was "PFC crash".
Hope this helps others who face the same problem.
Regards,
Li Lin

0
Li