PowerBuilder 8 - Too migrate or Not ???

Hello All,

My company is planning on migrating are large application from 6.5.1 to PB
8.x.

I have a few questions in regards to this...

(1) Has Sybase published a list of PB 8 migration issues, do's and
don'ts...?
(2) Has Sybase published a list of current bug issues in PB v8.0...?
(3) Has anyone migrated to PB 8, particularly from 6.x...?

Thanks You...
Jacob L.
jacob_ll@yahoo.com

0
JacobL

Jacob,
As to #3, I migrated a large 6.5.1 PFC-based application to PB8 (beta 4)
several weeks ago.  There was absolutely no problems encountered during the
migration.  It even compiled and ran a little bit faster under 8 too...

Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
Buffalo, NY

"JacobL" <jacob_ll@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> My company is planning on migrating are large application from 6.5.1 to PB
> 8.x.
>
> I have a few questions in regards to this...
>
> (1) Has Sybase published a list of PB 8 migration issues, do's and
> don'ts...?
> (2) Has Sybase published a list of current bug issues in PB v8.0...?
> (3) Has anyone migrated to PB 8, particularly from 6.x...?
>
> Thanks You...
> Jacob L.
> jacob_ll@yahoo.com

0
Paul
6/28/2001 3:25:03 AM
To this list, I'd like to add the question:

"What development environments (i.e., which versions of Windows) are
supported with PowerBuilder 8?"

I know that is probably answered somewhere on the website, but I've had
great difficulty finding it.  My company is finally moving away from a
standard Windows 95 desktop, with Windows 2000 or the upcoming Windows XP
as the likely replacement.  However, the next release of the application
which I support may occur before the upgrade.  Is PowerBuilder 8 backward
compatible all the way to Windows 95?

With thanks,
Frank Chukoskie
ChukoskieF@usa.redcross.org
0
Frank_Chukoskie
6/29/2001 2:29:33 PM
PB officially supports WIn 2000, Win 98 and NT 4.0 but several beta
participants were running on ME and Windows 95 with no problems that
weren't also found on the 'supported' platforms.

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:29:33 -0400, Frank_Chukoskie wrote:

>To this list, I'd like to add the question:
>
>"What development environments (i.e., which versions of Windows) are
>supported with PowerBuilder 8?"
>
>I know that is probably answered somewhere on the website, but I've had
>great difficulty finding it.  My company is finally moving away from a
>standard Windows 95 desktop, with Windows 2000 or the upcoming Windows XP
>as the likely replacement.  However, the next release of the application
>which I support may occur before the upgrade.  Is PowerBuilder 8 backward
>compatible all the way to Windows 95?
>
>With thanks,
>Frank Chukoskie
>ChukoskieF@usa.redcross.org

0
joneil
6/29/2001 3:16:47 PM
Since MS is no longer supporting Win95, it's probably no great surprise the
Sybase won't be supporting Win95. I've heard people have had success with PB8 on
Win95, but Sybase won't be helping you out with any problems that you haven't
reproduced on a supported platform.

I copied and pasted the OS list out of the data sheet within the last 24 hours,
so you might want to look around (don't have the data sheet here). It's
something like Win98, WinNT4/SP6a and Win2K/SP1.

Good luck,

 <Frank_Chukoskie> wrote:
>To this list, I'd like to add the question:
>
>"What development environments (i.e., which versions of Windows) are
>supported with PowerBuilder 8?"
>
>I know that is probably answered somewhere on the website, but I've had
>great difficulty finding it.  My company is finally moving away from a
>standard Windows 95 desktop, with Windows 2000 or the upcoming Windows XP
>as the likely replacement.  However, the next release of the application
>which I support may occur before the upgrade.  Is PowerBuilder 8 backward
>compatible all the way to Windows 95?

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
Version 2 now available at the Sandbox
Charitable donations without money?
CLICK FOR FREE MONEY!!The Hunger Site: http://www.thehungersite.com
The Rainforest Site: http://www.therainforestsite.com
The Kids AIDS Site: http://www.thekidsaidssite.com
The Child Survival Site: http://www.thechildsurvivalsite.com
The Breast Cancer Site: http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
The Landmine Site: http://www.thelandminesite.com
0
Terry

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

Powerbuilder 7 (NT) to Powerbuilder 8 (win2000) has migration issues
I work for a company called Stanley Associates, and we have independent applications that were created under powerbuilder. Up until recently we had been using PB7 without any problems or compilation errors. Upon creating a new workspace, adding a target, and doing the initial rebuild, we ran into several information statements and even some errors in our migration/compilation. Silly statements like window name is invalid due to global variable of same type, or incomatible types in assignment. several erorrs and information that make no sense, yet never came up in version 7. What ar...

Problem registering dll created in Powerbuilder 8 and migrated to Powerbuilder 11
Hi, We have created a dll in Powerbuilder 8 as a com/mts application. This dll was then migrated to powerbuilder 11.1 build 8204. I am able to build the dll on my development machine and properly register the dll on my development machine on windows 7. When i deploy my dll and test application to a clean windows xp box, i am unable to register my dll using regsvr32. No error is displayed and the message box identifing that the registration was successful is never displayed. I have deployed all Powerbuilder 11 runtime using the powerbuilder runtime packager. I also deployed...

Conflict
I have PowerBuilder 8 enterprise in my system for my existing packages. I would like to test my packages in PowerBuilder 11 Beta version. Is there any problem if I download and install the Beta version of PowerBuilder 11, to the system which contain the PowerBuilder 8? Thanks... The beta is over, but the evaluation version is available at http://response.sybase.com/forms/WW_PB11_Eval There shouldn't be any problem with multiple versions of PB on the same machine - different folder and dll names. Many of us have run 3 or 4 different versions concurrently! <Jemson Kuriak...

Migrate from PowerBuilder 8 to 10
Does anyone know the general steps to migrating from PowerBuilder 8 to 10 or if it is a big effort? Also does anyone know if there are any major impacts moving to active directory? Jeannie wrote: > Does anyone know the general steps to migrating from > PowerBuilder 8 to 10 or if it is a big effort? > > Also does anyone know if there are any major impacts moving > to active directory? I just finished migrating (one external API call to go!) from mPB 9 to PB 10. I have to say, it was the most difficult migration I've done yet. Mostly because about 20% of the ...

Powerbuilder 9.0 vs. Powerbuilder 8.0
What is the difference in Powerbilder 9.0 and 8.0? I would like to point out that the Appeon newsgroup is monitored by Sybase and Appeon engineering staff who are very knowledgeable about Appeon issues. Question that are purely PowerBuilder-related are best answered by the staff and users of the PowerBuilder newsgroup: sybase.public.powerbuilder.XXXX. Please post to the appropriate newsgroup so you receive the help you desire. Thanks, Julie Jiang Appeon Corporation <dburris@onesolution.com> wrote in message news:40589011.2717.846930886@sybase.com... > What is the diffe...

Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0
I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Target for PB8 is Q1 2001. DPB is not being enhanced but the capabilities will still be there. On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote: >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Chuck, I apologize, but I gave you inac...

PowerBuilder 8
Hello All, My company is planning on migrating a large application from 6.5.1 to PB 8.x. I have a few questions in regards to this... (1) Has Sybase published a list of PB 8 migration issues, do's and don'ts...? (2) Has Sybase published a list of current bug issues in PB v8.0...? (3) Has anyone migrated to PB 8, particularly from 6.x...? Thanks You... Jacob L. jacob_ll@yahoo.com Jacob, To this point Sybase has not published a list of bugs or migration do's and don'ts. We probably won't see a publicly published bug list for quite some time, maybe...

Migration to PowerBuilder 6.5 from Powerbuilder 4.0
Hi all, I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soon. I would like to know if I have to migrate previously to Powerbuilder 5.0, or if it is possible to migrate directly from Powerbuilder 4.0 to 6.5. In the last case I would like to know if I can have any problems during the upgrade process. Thanks in advance... On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:46:07 +0100, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Jorge Salamanca" <jsalamanca@fintec.es> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soo...

Powerbuilder 8 Migration Problem
I recently migrated my application from PB7 to PB8. Now in PB8 I can not view my datawindows in graphic mode. It looks like Powerbuilder looks for columns to be in uppercase when my columns are in lowercase. If I change them to uppercase (in syntax mode) it works fine. I don't want to have to do this for hundreds of datawindows. Does anyone have a good solution for this? Thanks, Terry I haven't run into that problem, but have seen behaviors that you can check. I have had a problem with graphics mode depending on how the database connection was handling p...

Powerbuilder 8 Migration Problem
I recently migrated my application from PB7 to PB8. Now in PB8 I can not view my datawindows in graphic mode. It looks like Powerbuilder looks for columns to be in uppercase when my columns are in lowercase. If I change them (in syntax mode) it works fine. I don't want to have to do this for hundreds of datawindows. Does anyone have a good solution for this? Thanks, Terry Terry, You've posted this in the wrong forum. I would repost in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general. -- Paul A. Horan[TeamSybase] VCI Springfield, MA www.vcisolutions.com <Terry...

PowerBuilder migration issues from 5 to 8
Hi, We are migrating our application from PowerBuilder 5.0.4 to PowerBuilder 8.0.3. In PowerBuilder 5, ItemFocusChanged event was getting triggered whenever a Filter() is applied on a datawindow control. Based on this sequence of events, our application has some logic. Where as in PowerBuilder 8, this itemfocuschanged event is not getting triggered when the filter() is applied. Is there any way to make this sequence of events occur in PB8 also? Any programming tips will be appreciated. Thanks, Nagi Overload the filter function in your ancestor dw object to do a Filter ...

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder 8 - Too migrate or Not ??? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles