pfc and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0

I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0.  This
application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm.
As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application.

I have heard good things about the PFC.  From I understand this is the new
preferred way to develop apps.  I have only heard about the PFC, and have
not coded in it.

I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to
finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes.  Is it
worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can I pick and choose
PFC features or is it better to use all of the PFC?

I am interested in any opinions.
Thank you.

Mark Warrick
mwarrick@en.com

        I just finished migrating some apps from 4.07 to 6.01.  I think you
will find
a number of small issues will keep you busy during the migration.  I would
get a
stable 6.0 ( or 6.01 if you have problems printing your reports) version
working,
then worry about the pfc.  The pfc has a bit of a learning curve to it.
Van

M Warrick wrote in message ...
>I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0.  This
>application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm.
>As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application.
>
>I have heard good things about the PFC.  From I understand this is the new
>preferred way to develop apps.  I have only heard about the PFC, and have
>not coded in it.
>
>I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to
>finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes.  Is it
>worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can I pick and choose
>PFC features or is it better to use all of the PFC?
>
>I am interested in any opinions.
>Thank you.
>
>Mark Warrick
>mwarrick@en.com

0
Van
5/1/1998 10:41:48 PM
I'd agree with Van. Migration with bring several things to fix.
Re-engineering an apps framework is extremely difficult technically,
and requires a testing from the ground up. If you eventually want to
do it, I'd recommend someone with familiarity with PFC work with
someone with familiarity with your framework, and see how well
functionality maps from one to the other. How this maps turns out will
determine the effort required.

Also, taking a portion of a framework adds more complexity and effort,
and may inhibit future upgrades due to unanticipated changes in the
framework. If you want what (IMHO) are the most valuable portions of
PFC, I'd go for the whole shooting match.

Good luck,

Terry [TeamPS] and Sequel the techno-kitten

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:43:53 -0400, "M Warrick" <mwarrick@en.com>
wrote:

>I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0.  This
>application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm.
>As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application.
>
>I have heard good things about the PFC.  From I understand this is the new
>preferred way to develop apps.  I have only heard about the PFC, and have
>not coded in it.
>
>I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to
>finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes.  Is it
>worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can I pick and choose
>PFC features or is it better to use all of the PFC?
0
tvoth

PFC and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0
I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0. This application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm. As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application. I have heard good things about the PFC. From I understand this is the new preferred way to develop apps. I have only heard about the PFC, and have not coded in it. I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes. Is it worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can...

Q:Migration from PB 4.0 to PB 7.0
Hello, I'm about to attempt the migration of a PB 4.0 application to PB 7.0 and I was wondering if there are any gotcha's I should know about before I begin. The application is a medium sized, non-pfc based client-server application that connects to Oracle 8 and is deployed as an .exe. The system stats are as follows: 5 menu items 9 user objects 17 windows 89 datawindows 2 structures 4 functions Any advice? I've migrated quite a few applications from one version to another, but never one that spans 3 versions... TIA, Bobby R Bobby, The things th...

Migrating from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0
Hi, I have some questions regarding migrating from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0 1) I am migrating a PB 5.0.4 application to PB 7.0. When I migrated the application, I got some warnings and Informational messages. I also got one error message in a user object : Error : C0181 : The argument to SetNull cannot be an autoinstantiate or structure. The argument I have is a structure instance. Is there another function I can use instead ? 2) This application also uses the funcky library. I was wondering what is a better substitute for these in 7.0. 3) Stephen Dupre also mentioned in on...

Q: Migrating from PB 4.0 to PB 7.0
Hello, I'm about to attempt the migration of a PB 4.0 application to PB 7.0 and I was wondering if there are any gotcha's I should know about before I begin. The application is a medium sized, non-pfc based client-server application that connects to Oracle 8 and is deployed as an .exe. The system stats are as follows: 5 menu items 9 user objects 17 windows 89 datawindows 2 structures 4 functions Any advice? I've migrated quite a few applications from one version to another, but never one that spans 3 versions... TIA, Bobby R Please post to the corr...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

Migration from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0.1
Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't have in PB 5.0.4. Thank you Build 7021 for PB 7.0.1 from the Sybase website worked. Thanks for Help! Robert Wren, Jr. <rwren@home.com> wrote in message news:nUQVd1FX$GA.177@forums.sybase.com... > Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am > having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't > have in PB 5.0.4. > > Thank you > > ...

PB 5.0.4 migration to PB 7.0.2 issue
I'm trying to help a colleague solve a problem she is having in a fairly complex application. Of course, the application works fine using PB 5.0.4, but after migrating, a sheet which opens a modal window is not stopping to wait for the modal window's result. If I create a simple modal window and open it from the sheet, it does the same thing. If I create a simple sheet and open the modal window from that sheet it works properly. I've done the regens and optimizations. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?! Also if you have any s...

PB 4.0.03 & PB 6.0.0 issues
I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS READING PB PRODUCTS: 1. WE HAVE USED PB 4.0.03 ENTERPRISE FOR YEARS NOW, ARE THERE PATCHES FOR Y2K CONCERNS THAT WE CAN DOWNLOAD? 2. WE HAVE ALSO PB 6.0.0 PROFESSIONAL, AND ENCOUNTERED SOME ODBC 4.0 GLITCHES RELATING TO MS-ACCESS 97 ("... Program type out of range ..."), ARE THERE PATCHES ALSO FOR THESE CONCERNS AND Y2K ISSUES. I read a response pointing where to find the different patches. I did not see though any patches specific to PB 4.0.03 and PB 6.0.0. I would great...

pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases
I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of Power Biulder. Thanks. Charlie. Charlie You...

Migration from PB 5.0 to PB 7.0
Hi All, While using the Migration assistant to check if any of the functions being currently used in our application have become Obsolete.I got these error messages PBORCA LIBRARY - Entry Information Failed and PBORCA error message Obsolete - Replaced by f-wait in n_cst_datetime was not found. Error No: 3 These error messages were displayed for the PFC and PFE PBL's. Could anyone please give any suggestions... TIA, Sg Here's a hunch. Check for duplicate PowerBuilder DLLs or mismatched DLLs being loaded. A good tool to check what's being loaded is HandleEx...

PB 4.0 -> PB 7.0

Migrating from PB 4.0 to PB 5.0
I am hving a hard time trying to convert from Powerbuilder v4.0 to v5.0. After I have migrated the entire application, i then try to open up a Window and keep getting the message "Open of Window failed. Application has been converted to newest version; window must be re-migrated". I then try to re-migrate the Window and re-open it and again the same message. Any ideas?? Does it definitely say 'remigrated' and not 'regenerated'? If the latter, then regenerating all objects should sort it. Mark Sanford wrote in message <01bd8e64$08e151e0$a4012682@s...

Web resources about - pfc and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pope Francis urges review of migration laws to welcome refugees
... and indifferent to the tragedies facing humanity. Vatican City: Pope Francis on Tuesday called on countries to review their laws on migration ...

Paris deal considers climate change role in mass migration
Global warming has already contributed to the the large-scale displacement of people that has been an ominous, politically sensitive undercurrent ...

Merkel-Enhanced Migration Problem: Million Refugees Hit Europe, 80% Through Greece by Boat; Turkish Mafia ...
... So why isn't anything concrete being done? Why the Problem Is Not Fixed If Turkey, Greece, or Germany really wanted to solve the migration ...

Website migration guide: building an SEO checklist for moving your site
... in other countries also which makes it vital that it’s as easy as possible to present users with the correct version. Combining a site migration ...

It’s Official: Migration Into Europe Hits WWII Levels
It’s Official: Migration Into Europe Hits WWII Levels

IBM Nabs Giant Eagle Cloud Migration Deal
IBM can now count Giant Eagle among its growing list of cloud customers, as Big Blue works to overhaul the supermarket chain's IT operations. ...

Questions and answers about Europe's migration crisis as 2015 arrivals top 1 million
One million — and counting. BRUSSELS – One million — and counting. The International Organization for Migration says its statistics show the ...

High skilled migration and global innovation
... using a multi-country endogenous growth model. The proposed framework introduces and quantifies a “frontier growth effect” of skilled migration: ...

Site Redesign & Migration Tips To Avoid SEO & UX Disasters
Planning to overhaul your website? Check out contributor Modestos Siotos' tips to help you minimize the potential negative impact of a site relaunch. ...