PB8 crashes when selecting to insert ole control

Hi,
            I am having a problem when I try to insert a ole control onto a
window.  When I choose the insert control tab to select my ole control PB
crashes.  I am on the version 8.04 build 10923.  The dll it crashes on is
msvcrt.dll, I am on windows XP SP2.  I have tried to narrow it down using
process monitor with no luck.  I tried deleteing the entire
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\8.0\OLE Object Bitmaps folder
in the registry, but it didn't fix it.  I also have PB10.5 loaded and it
works fine there.  Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
- Brian

0
Brian

Try running Registry Monitor from sysinternals.com.  When this has
happened to me in the past, it's been because of some specific entry
made in the registry by a given OLE/OCX control.  When the dialog is
being built (or tabs changed), PB is traversing the registry to
populate the appropriate object list.  You'll probably see the same
crash in the PB Object Browser.

With the regmon output you can see the last control referenced from
the registry before the crash.  Run a regsvr /u on the appropriate DLL
(InProcServer entry likely) and see if that helps.   That's not really
a solution, since PB should never crash like this, but it may get you
where you need to go.

On 11 Dec 2006 16:37:56 -0700, "Brian Prom" <brian.prom@acs-inc.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>            I am having a problem when I try to insert a ole control onto a
>window.  When I choose the insert control tab to select my ole control PB
>crashes.  I am on the version 8.04 build 10923.  The dll it crashes on is
>msvcrt.dll, I am on windows XP SP2.  I have tried to narrow it down using
>process monitor with no luck.  I tried deleteing the entire
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\8.0\OLE Object Bitmaps folder
>in the registry, but it didn't fix it.  I also have PB10.5 loaded and it
>works fine there.  Is there anything else I can try?
>
>Thanks,
>- Brian

0
Jim
12/12/2006 2:47:56 AM
That worked, Thanks Jim.

Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
> Try running Registry Monitor from sysinternals.com.  When this has
> happened to me in the past, it's been because of some specific entry
> made in the registry by a given OLE/OCX control.  When the dialog is
> being built (or tabs changed), PB is traversing the registry to
> populate the appropriate object list.  You'll probably see the same
> crash in the PB Object Browser.
>
> With the regmon output you can see the last control referenced from
> the registry before the crash.  Run a regsvr /u on the appropriate DLL
> (InProcServer entry likely) and see if that helps.   That's not really
> a solution, since PB should never crash like this, but it may get you
> where you need to go.
>
> On 11 Dec 2006 16:37:56 -0700, "Brian Prom" <brian.prom@acs-inc.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >            I am having a problem when I try to insert a ole control onto a
> >window.  When I choose the insert control tab to select my ole control PB
> >crashes.  I am on the version 8.04 build 10923.  The dll it crashes on is
> >msvcrt.dll, I am on windows XP SP2.  I have tried to narrow it down using
> >process monitor with no luck.  I tried deleteing the entire
> >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\8.0\OLE Object Bitmaps folder
> >in the registry, but it didn't fix it.  I also have PB10.5 loaded and it
> >works fine there.  Is there anything else I can try?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >- Brian

0
brianleep

Can't insert OLE controls. GPF when accessing
Hi all, I'm running PB 9 (6533) on Wndows XP and having problems when trying to insert OLE Controls. PB crashes when clicking on the Tab "Insert Control" in dialogue "Insert Object". PB 10 beta works fine and PB 8 crashes like PB9 (all on the same PC). Does anyone have any clue how to solve this? /Thanks! I am having the exact same issue in PB8 on windows XP. I noticed that no one had a reply so I was wondering if you were ever able to resolve the issue. Thanks ...

OLE/OLX Controls Not Listed When Insert Control Tab Selected
I am a developer working with a team to provide an Internet application to be written using Powerbuilder 5.0.03. All developers have the following Powerbuilder Development Environment: a. Windows 95 (Microsoft product) b. Powerbuilder Enterprise/32 Version 5.0.03 (Powersoft product) c. PowerTCP For PB5 (Dart Communications product) I have installed PowerTCP and it self-registered various OCX files into c:\windows\system example: (ptftp32.ocx, pttcp32.ocx, etc....) I have developed a new Window where I want to place ptftp32.ocx (ftp control). Other co-workers have begun their prog...

PB crash when inserting OLE control
Hello! I've been trying to use ActiveX control with PB 7 without success. The behavior is the same on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and Windows 2000 Professional, running on a Dell Pentium Pro 200 system with 128MB of RAM. Here's what I do: 1) Define a new window in an existing application 2) Select Insert > Control > OLE from the menu 3) In the Insert Object dialog, click on the Insert Control tab 4) PowerBuilder crashes, with the following results: Windows NT Version 5.00 Build 2195 PB70.exe caused fault #c0000005 in MSVCRT.DLL at address 001b:78004a16 Registers: EAX=003...

Crash When Trying to Insert an OLE Control
I'm trying to insert an OLE control. When I click the "Insert Control" tab on the Insert Object dialog box, I immediately get a message box that reads "Out of Memory". When I click Cancel on that message box, I get "Insufficient memeory to continue" and Powerbuilder crashes. Note that the ocx I'm trying to select is not too big, I never get a chance to select the ocx. I using Powerbulder version 7.0.3 build 10077 and running Windows 2000 Professional. Please help. Thanks, Larry Stevens I have the same problem and same config. i.e....

PB Crashes when attempting to insert OLE control
Just realized that I can't insert an OLE control. Not a good time since I need to be able to insert one. If I try to insert an ole control, the insert object dialog opens. However, when I select the "insert control" tab, PowerBuilder crashes. Through some perusing of the newsgroups, I was also able to determine that if I opened the object browser and double clicked the "OLE Custom Controls" node, PowerBuilder crashes there also. Now here's the catch. This is in PB9.0.3 Build 8784. When I try to do the same thing in PB10.0.2 Build 9761, everyth...

PB 6.0 Crashing when trying to insert an OLE Control
Has anyone ever had any experience with PB 6.0 crashing while trying to insert an OLE control onto a window/datawindow? I am simply creating a window and selecting OLE object type to place on the window. When the OLE dialog comes up ( 3 tabs: Create New, Create From File, Insert Control ), I select insert control. Whenever I do this, on multiple machines, PB crashes!! Any Ideas? Jim Leary jleary@pwrpros.com same picture here.... On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:45:11 -0400, "jleary@pwrpros.com" <jimleary@mindspring.com> wrote: > >Has anyone ever...

PB 6.5 crashes when trying to insert an OLE control
Hi everybody, I have an app in PowerBuilder 6.5 (DBMS MS SQL Server 2000, OS: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP 2). We've created an OCX using VisualBasic. We had previously inserted it into a Custom Visual User Object without any problems. In fact, the app is working with the client normally. Time passed by... and now, we can't do it. When we Click Controls \ OLE a Insert Object window displays. We can switch between the "Create New" and "Create From File" tabs. However, when we click in the "Insert Control" tab, PB crashes. The err...

Insert OLE control cause PB 9 / 10 to crash
Since I installed an ocx on my system (CodeJock Software OCX available at www.codejock.com) Powerbuilder could not allow me to go in the insert control (OLE) tab anymore. I cause an immediate crash even before displaying the list of available controls. I had tp unregister manually these nice controls to be able to enter the insert control tab again. What could cause that crash ? Is there any other solution to use a visual control without going through the "Insert OLE control tab" ? Much regards, Guillaume Either the registration is failing or the OCX contr...

Dr. Watson using selecting "Insert Control" tab for OLE
I am getting an Dr Watson error when selecting the Insert Object tab on the insert OLE control dialog. I am running pb6.5 on windows nt 4.0. Has anyone encountered this behavior, and what will correct the problem. Thanks, Chris christopher.taylor@concert.com Chris, This is most likely due to a corrupt registry entry -- the most common one I've seen so far is due to a recent installation of the PointCast Network software. To identify the corrupt entries, you'll need to download the Registry Monitor (REGMON) utility from System Internals (http://www.sysinternals.c...

PB 8.0.3 build 9704 crash when i try to insert a ole custom control
Hi, I have a ole custom control linked to the dll mswinsck.ocx in one of my pbl libraries but it seems to be a problem with this. When i try to access through the application to this library a runtime error was shown telling me that i can't access to the localip property. The .dll was registered in the windows registry i've already checked. After that i tried to insert a new ole custom control to the pbl linked to the same dll, but powerbuilder crash . I tried the same thing in powerbuilder 11.5 and i could insert the control correctly. What can be wrong? This proble...

Page Fault when accessing Controls > OLE > Insert Control
Some of this got lost the first time ... sorry I get a page fault when I use 'Insert Control' from the Controls > OLE menu Things worked fine last week. I had a couple power failures while using MSWord and had to run scandisk and 'fix' a couple files. I also installed VB5. I'm not sure if the problem existed before this. I unregistered all(?) my OCX'es and reregistered them, Reinstalled PB, got a clean copy of MSVCRT.DLL ver 5.00.7022. Tried RegClean but it GPF's on both my machines. My other machine does not seem to mind VB. .......help... PB Profess...

Page fault when accessing Controls > OLE > Insert Control #2
Tried RegClean but it GPF's on both my machines. My other machine does not seem to mind VB. .......help... PB Professional/32 5.0.04 >Controls >OLE >Insert control PB050 caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL at 016f:78017719. Registers: EAX=00000001 CS=016f EIP=78017719 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=0063e648 SS=0177 ESP=0063e4c8 EBP=00000001 ECX=00000000 DS=0177 ESI=00000000 FS=0d3f EDX=7803d562 ES=0177 EDI=00000001 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 8a 0f 8a 04 4a 83 e0 08 eb e7 33 c0 8a 07 47 8b Stack dump: 82a89001 00000000 00000001 0063e648 7801778d 0000...

PB9 Crashes Inserting OCX via "Insert Control" Tab
Hi, In PB 9.0.1 Build 6533, in a window, do Insert, Control, OLE, and press the "Insert Control" tab, and get: "Sybase PowerBuilder has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". There are other posts for this, but the link to the solution is broken. Thank you Victor Reinhart MaintStar Victor Reinhart ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp http://brucearmstrong.wordpress.com/2007/07/10/problems-using-activex-controls/ On 24 Aug 2010 15:54:27 -0700, &qu...

Web resources about - PB8 crashes when selecting to insert ole control - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Consultation Document on the Methods for Selecting the Chief Executive and for Forming the LegCo in 2012 ...
The " Consultation Document on the Methods for Selecting the Chief Executive and for Forming the LegCo in 2012 " was a document published on ...

Voting Machine Caught on Camera Casting Ballot for Democrat when Selecting Republican - YouTube
**UPDATE.... I've heard many reports that this is "just a calibration issue." I will say this... when I went to page 2 and began voting for city ...

Selecting decor that will move with the times
What colours should I use in my home so that my d&#233;cor is neutral and flexible but not boring?

Clock ticking on selecting successor to Leigh Clifford at Qantas
With Qantas on course to chalk up its largest annual profit since 2008, the question now is whether chairman Leigh Clifford is looking to hang ...

More to selecting political background music than indiscriminate meandering
Gathering a song to use as a protest weapon can backfire.

Jackie French: Why selecting the right place for your plants is important
The secret of growing anything easily is to choose the best spot for what you want to grow.

Liberals begin 'super weekend' of selecting delegates
A race for the top job in the federal Liberal party gained momentum on Friday as rank and file party members began the selection process for ...

Boston Marathon bombing trial: Judge, lawyers face challenges in selecting jurors - CTV News
As the second phase of jury selection began in the federal death penalty trial of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, it immediately ...

Selecting cabinet one of first orders of business for Trudeau
One of the first orders of business for any new prime minister is picking a cabinet. Who is likely to make the cut?

Agile Analysis, Self-Selecting Teams, TDD & BDD in Methods & Tools Winter 2014 issue
... for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Winter 2014 issue that discusses Agile Analysis, Self-Selecting ...