PB 9 or PB 9.01 - your recommendations?

We have an old PB 6.5 app that we want to (finally) migrate to PB 9.

Should we go to PB 9.00 or PB 9.01 (which seems to generate a fair
number of GPFs from some of the posts we've seen).'

Which of the 2 versions of PB 9 are more stable in your opinion?
We don't need the new features that much, for us stability is the #1
issue.

Frankly speaking, we'd keep it on 6.5 if we could, but that old IDE
is so unusable by today's standards that we finally decided to
make the jump to version 9.

thanks in advance,
John

0
John

Hey John,

Stability really depends on your needs..What may be a show stopper for one
shop another can live with it.

We've been on PB9, build 6066 (9GA had problems with scrolltorow and that
was killing us) and we're living with what bugs we've found since we've also
seen the posts about 9.01 having problems..We're not going to another
version until probably another GA is out

--

Evita Chapa
Senior Systems Analyst II
"John" <NOSPAM_johnb_at_nsbcenter_dot_com> wrote in message
> We have an old PB 6.5 app that we want to (finally) migrate to PB 9.
>
> Should we go to PB 9.00 or PB 9.01 (which seems to generate a fair
> number of GPFs from some of the posts we've seen).'
>
> Which of the 2 versions of PB 9 are more stable in your opinion?
> We don't need the new features that much, for us stability is the #1
> issue.
>
> Frankly speaking, we'd keep it on 6.5 if we could, but that old IDE
> is so unusable by today's standards that we finally decided to
> make the jump to version 9.
>
> thanks in advance,
> John

0
Evita
11/25/2003 9:38:00 PM
Evita Chapa wrote:
> Hey John,
>
> Stability really depends on your needs..What may be a show stopper for one
> shop another can live with it.
>
> We've been on PB9, build 6066 (9GA had problems with scrolltorow and that
> was killing us) and we're living with what bugs we've found since we've also
> seen the posts about 9.01 having problems..We're not going to another
> version until probably another GA is out

Would you maybe recommend a version of PB 8 that was more stable?
8.0.2 or 8.0.3?

thanks,
John

0
John
11/25/2003 9:50:40 PM
I would go to version 9 since version 8 is going to be EOL'ed next year
after PB 10 comes out. I've been on 9.0.1 and had no problems, but again, it
all depends on what features you are using.

Ivan

> Evita Chapa wrote:
> > Hey John,
> >
> > Stability really depends on your needs..What may be a show stopper for
one
> > shop another can live with it.
> >
> > We've been on PB9, build 6066 (9GA had problems with scrolltorow and
that
> > was killing us) and we're living with what bugs we've found since we've
also
> > seen the posts about 9.01 having problems..We're not going to another
> > version until probably another GA is out
> >

> Would you maybe recommend a version of PB 8 that was more stable?
> 8.0.2 or 8.0.3?
>
> thanks,
> John

0
ith
11/25/2003 10:38:24 PM
I would recommend 9.0.1.7048.  The EBF releases since 9.01 have all fixed
problems for us. The number of problems with the IDE has decreased with 7048
also.

0
Tyler
11/26/2003 2:36:22 AM
"Tyler Cruse" <tcruse@trlx.com> wrote in message news:3fc4131e$1@forums-2-dub...
> I would recommend 9.0.1.7048.  The EBF releases since 9.01 have all fixed
> problems for us. The number of problems with the IDE has decreased with 7048
> also.

9.0.1.7056 corrects a big issue for users of PBNative SCC that could have caused object corruption...

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Paul
11/26/2003 4:33:21 AM
Where and when (at what intervalls) could I get the newest Builds of PB9 ?
I've some problems with PB901_7048 (provided by Jom Oneill via FTP)
Regards Hans

> > I would recommend 9.0.1.7048.  The EBF releases since 9.01 have all
fixed
> > problems for us. The number of problems with the IDE has decreased with
7048
> > also.
> >

> 9.0.1.7056 corrects a big issue for users of PBNative SCC that could have
caused object corruption...

> --
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Hans
11/26/2003 3:45:16 PM
Paul Horan[TeamSybase] wrote:
> "Tyler Cruse" <tcruse@trlx.com> wrote in message news:3fc4131e$1@forums-2-dub...
>
>>I would recommend 9.0.1.7048.  The EBF releases since 9.01 have all fixed
>>problems for us. The number of problems with the IDE has decreased with 7048
>>also.
>>

> 9.0.1.7056 corrects a big issue for users of PBNative SCC that could have caused object corruption...

  *sigh*

Sounds like PB 7 to me all over again (main reason we've stuck 6.5 for
so long).

Is 7056 at least publicly available or is it a $200 call to Sybase support?

John

0
John
11/26/2003 4:41:08 PM
> Sounds like PB 7 to me all over again (main reason we've
> stuck 6.5 for  so long).

Wait till PB10 then. Even releases are traditionally better
:-))
0
Philip
11/26/2003 4:46:19 PM
Philip wrote:
>>Sounds like PB 7 to me all over again (main reason we've
>>stuck 6.5 for  so long).
>

> Wait till PB10 then. Even releases are traditionally better
> :-))

It's a lot less funny now that we use other dev tools (Eclipse and
VS.Net) and they never seem to be on "latest EBF from this week"
galloping race that PB seems to be still stuck on.

Oh well...will test with 9.01 and see how it goes.

thanks for your input,
John

0
John
11/26/2003 6:13:59 PM
Actually VS.Net went thru several patches.
C++ compiler bugs in it are numerous. Microsoft decides on a
sparse release cycle WITHOUT the niceties like EBFs that
Sybase goes thru to satisfy particular customers.
PB is a 4GL, so NO amount of internal QA can catch all the
insane permutations of end usage.

EBFs became "public" because so many users wanted them to be
so. Now this is bad. Maybe they should make them "private"
again?
Then most likely I'll hear you whining about how to get
them...

> Philip wrote:
> >>Sounds like PB 7 to me all over again (main reason we've
> >>stuck 6.5 for  so long).
> >

> > Wait till PB10 then. Even releases are traditionally
> > better :-))
>
> It's a lot less funny now that we use other dev tools
> (Eclipse and  VS.Net) and they never seem to be on "latest
> EBF from this week"  galloping race that PB seems to be
> still stuck on.
>
> Oh well...will test with 9.01 and see how it goes.
>
> thanks for your input,
> John

0
Philip
11/26/2003 7:02:25 PM
<Philip Salgannik> wrote in message news:3fc4f8c1.24e0.846930886@sybase.com...
> Actually VS.Net went thru several patches.
> C++ compiler bugs in it are numerous. Microsoft decides on a
> sparse release cycle WITHOUT the niceties like EBFs that
> Sybase goes thru to satisfy particular customers.
> PB is a 4GL, so NO amount of internal QA can catch all the
> insane permutations of end usage.
>
> EBFs became "public" because so many users wanted them to be
> so. Now this is bad. Maybe they should make them "private"
> again?
> Then most likely I'll hear you whining about how to get
> them...

Well said, Philip.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Paul
11/26/2003 7:22:22 PM
We have been running 9.0.1 build 6533 in production in
approx one month. We had a few problems with the original
9.0 installed from CD so we descided to download latest.
We use it for a Materials management system, and the
production so far is for internal use. Approx 20 users. The
system is client/server based with Oracle 9.2 database.

We have very few problems with this version.
We tested the application against problems we had when
moving to PB7 to see if these were corrected. Most of the
problems did not reappear. The once we could reproduce was.
- Slow opening of datawindow sqlsyntax.
- Edit properties of datawindow fields lost unless you alter
edit style first, or closes/reopens datawindow before
applying properties.
- A few minor issues.

The only new problem we have found is that we windows
containing only one treeview does stop the sequence of
Ctrl+Tab srolling thru all open windows.

I would definitively recommend to try this build.

Best regards
erling kjerland

> I would go to version 9 since version 8 is going to be
> EOL'ed next year after PB 10 comes out. I've been on 9.0.1
> and had no problems, but again, it all depends on what
> features you are using.
>
> Ivan
>
> "John" <NOSPAM_johnb_at_nsbcenter_dot_com> wrote in
> message news:3fc3d027@forums-2-dub...
> > Evita Chapa wrote:
> > > Hey John,
> > >
> > > Stability really depends on your needs..What may be a
> show stopper for one
> > > shop another can live with it.
> > >
> > > We've been on PB9, build 6066 (9GA had problems with
> scrolltorow and that
> > > was killing us) and we're living with what bugs we've
> found since we've also
> > > seen the posts about 9.01 having problems..We're not
> > > going to another version until probably another GA is
> > out >
> >
> > Would you maybe recommend a version of PB 8 that was
> > more stable? 8.0.2 or 8.0.3?
> >
> > thanks,
> > John

0
Erling

PB 9.03 vs PB 9.02
What is better to use for already existing large client-server PB app? In terms of stability, number of unfixed serious bugs, extra features... TIA We encountered lockup problems on some reports for our application with 9.0.3. I did lots of testing but couldn't pin down the cause, and the users were getting frustrated. After a while I rolled back to 9.0.2 with EBF 7610, and this seems to be very stable. Of course, the usual disclaimers apply: your mileage may vary, etc. Pat "Andrew" <gurzuf_no_junk_@rogers.com> wrote in message news:4314fe5e@fo...

PB 9.x and Oracle 9.9
Has anyone used PB 9.x against an Oracle 9.9 database? If so, did you experience any strange, inconsistent or undesirable behavior? Thanks! 9.9? That the beta for 10g? <grin> PB 9.x against 9i, sure. There are some issues with timestamp columns. It's laid out in the readme.text file: Oracle9i ======== Date and Timestamp datatype conflicts ------------------------------------- Oracle 9i databases and the PowerBuilder O90 interface support a new Oracle timestamp datatype. This datatype includes the date and the time including milliseconds. The existing Oracle D...

EAServer 4.2.2 with PB 9.0.1 or PB 9
I Have EAServer 4.2.2 for Sun Solaris I need to connect a components PB 9, but the PB VM only for EAServer 4.2. I install the ebf and ebf for S.O. but my Jaguar produce Core Dumped in the moment that execute serverstart.sh. My question is Can do utilize COmponents PB9 with EAServer 4.2.2? If Jaguar Core dumped on serverstart.sh, it has nothing to do with the PBVM unless perhaps you have service components that you've coded in PB and installed on the server. I think you have more fundamental problems with the install that the PBVM. On 7 Oct 2003 08:36:02 -0700, "chr...

PB 9.01/PVCS
Working with PB 9.01 Build 6533 on a network server. Using PVCS for source control. When attempting to overwrite an object that was checked out, copying an object from one .PBL to another, or simply regenerating an object in a .PBL causes PowerBuilder to crash. Sometimes I get a Low Virtual MemoryWarning message but most times it just shuts down. The workstation has 512megs RAM, 1.2 Gig CPU, Windows 2000 Professional (patched to date). Any ideas on what or where to look for the problem? It looks like a memory leak. Thanks! Definitely better to post in the source control gr...

PB 9.0.1 6053 vs. PB 9.0.1 7171
Hi all, the 7171 build is not where I want to be in terms of IDE stability. Can I simply run the 6053 setup again to revert back and then simply regen the pbl files or am I stuck where I am?? Let me know. Thanks Delete all of the 7171 dated DLLs first. Most install utilities won't overwrite a DLL with a later date. On 14 Jun 2004 17:38:41 -0700, "Mark Pare" <markpare@videotron.ca> wrote: >Hi all, the 7171 build is not where I want to be in terms of IDE stability. >Can I simply run the 6053 setup again to revert back and then simply regen >the ...

Patches of ASA9 from 9.0 to 9.01 and 9.01 to 9.02
For X64. Anyone know where I can find these? I installed ASA9 for X64 on my new server and tried to install the latest EBF and it won't work because it is expecting to find ver. 9.02 and I've get 9.0. Thanks for any help, -- -----Jon----- In article <4c1fa601$1@forums-1-dub>, jsprings@jontandshe.org says... > > For X64. > > Anyone know where I can find these? > > I installed ASA9 for X64 on my new server and tried to install the latest > EBF and it won't work because it is expecting to find ver. 9.02 and I've get ...

Distributed PB in PB 9
Hi, Is there any alternative to get functionality of 'Transport' object in PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards). Thanks in advance. Kiran Walekar You can use EAServer or wait until the PowerBuilder Application Server plug-in is released in Q3 2006. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase On 19 May 2006 05:07:44 -0700, "KiranW" <kiran@femcareindia.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is there any alternative to get functionality of 'Transport' object in >PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards). > ...

PB 8 to PB 9
Hi, We have both PB 8 and PB 9. Our program is written by PB 8, is it possible to convert it to PB 9. If yes, are there anythings which exists in PB 8 but is obsoleted in PB 9? Also, I would like to perform Spell checking function in PB 8, are there any function I can use? Thanks Lai Open a copy of it in PB9 and it will migrate it for you. There's nothing important I can remember that got depreceated in PB9. There is no build in spell check in PB8 or PB9. However there are third party controls, and you can always use OLE to talk to Word and let it do the spell ch...

PB 8 or PB 9??
We are currently at PB 7 and are wanting to migrate to either the latest release of PB 8 or to PB 9 sometime 3rd quarter 2003. A few questions: 1. Is PB 9 out for General Availability yet? I'm finding conflicting information. 2. What is the latest release of PB 8 and is it stable? Any major problems/issues with it? We're just using PB for maintaining existing PB client/server apps. 3. Can PB be used on Windows XP or Windows 2003? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! Peggy Klinger FirstEnergy Corp. Akron, OH USA 1. Yes PB 9 is GA. 2. Not s...

PB 5 to PB 9?
Hello, I have to help a client decide whether he should migrate a PB 5 application to PB 9. The current application uses a SQL/Server 6.5 database. They want to upgrade the database to SQL/Server 2000. They wonder if they should also upgrade PB5 to PB9 at the same time. The application will not be rewritten, only the minimum would be done to make it works on PB9. What would be the benefits of migrating to PB 9? What is the recommended configuration of the workstations running deployed PB 9 applications? Also, what about PB 5 with SQL/Server 2000? Any advice appreciated. Thanks, ...

Powerbuilder Upgrade Issues (PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1)
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

How to Handel PB Native Source Control When Migrating from PB 8 to PB 9
Is there a special process for migrating and preserving PB Native Source Control History? We are migrating from PB 8 under PB Native Source Control to PB 9. Our plan is to setup a seperate PB 9 machine. Then, checkout all our PB 8 objects on the source machine and copy them over to the PB 9 machine for migration. Once we get a clean build on the PB 9 machine, we would check all the objects back in. Is this the correct way to do it? Thanks, Bob Olsen There should be no need to check the objects out before the migration. I would: - Create a new Local Root Folder for the P...

PB 9 to PB 10 migration
Hi, There seem to be a number of threads on this previously, but having read them I'm still not having any success. I've taken a copy of my app, our corporate later, and the PFC 10 pbls. I then migrate the target. (I've tried with and without the "convert DBCS" option). The migration completes okay, but when I run the app, I get "Cannot assign object of type n_cst_platformunicode to object of type n_cst_platformwin32... in function f_setplatform()..." Now, this sounds similar but perhaps not entirely the same as other peoples issues. Compari...

Web resources about - PB 9 or PB 9.01 - your recommendations? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Passed the House on January 9, 2007 (299-128 Roll call vote 015 , via Clerk.House.gov) Reported by the joint conference committee on July 25, ...

Recommendation Platform Top10 Adds Facebook-Integrated No. 1 Button
Recommendation platform Top10 added a No. 1 button to its website, allowing users to share their top recommendations for topics of all kinds ...

Under the Hood: Building the App Center recommendation engine - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Building the App Center recommendation engine geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

Introducing the Recommendations Bar
Today we're launching the Recommendations Bar, a new social plug-in that helps people find articles based on what their friends like and share ...

Facebook’s Instant Personalization Improves Suggestions on Clicker Online TV Recommendations
Today, Facebook unveils instant personalization for online television recommendations engine Clicker. When you visit the site while logged in ...

Zacks Investment Research - Proven Stock Ratings Research Recommendations
Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on equities earnings estimates and stock analysis for the individual investor, including ...

foursquare : With foursquare deemphasizing the checkin in v5.0, are the explore recommendations going ...
Answer (1 of 4): I guess there's another way of looking at it. They're trying to make you feel less pressured to check-in and spend more time ...

Recollect — Beautiful music recommendations for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Recollect — Beautiful music recommendations on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Turnbull government responds to Harper review into competition laws, accepts majority of recommendations ...
... retail trading hours, taxi services and road transport regulations. The Turnbull government has agreed to the vast majority of recommendations ...

Rowan Stringer inquest jury releases 49 recommendations after rugby death
A jury has made 49 recommendations after a coroner's inquest into the rugby-related death of Ottawa teenager Rowan Stringer, who died in 2013 ...