PB 8.0 Deployment Dlls vs. PB 6.5 Deployment Dlls

Hello,

We currently have a few Powerbuilder apps that have been developed using PB
6.5.  All of them use an Oracle database.  Some of them make use of the pfc
libraries.  Some of these apps serve as a batch interface while others are
major applications.  Most of our applications are fat-client.  However, we
do have one application that is a 3-tier application.

Our applications run mostly on Windows 2000, although we still have some
users using NT and possibly Win 95.  We have packaged PB 6.5 Deployment
dlls and as new users need the application, they not only receive the PB
exe and pbds but the runtime dlls as well.

My manager was under the impression that if we upgraded to Powerbuilder
8.0, we would have to obtain certain runtime PB 8.0 deployment dlls.  At
this time, we have not decided to web enable our apps, however, as budgets
allow, we may pursue that in the future.

I have spoken to a couple of Sybase Account Managers and they have given me
a quote for the upgrade with respect to the licenses that we need.  They
did not know though which deployment package would suite our needs.

My question to you is - does the Powerbuilder 8.0 upgrade include the
deployment dlls that we need or is this a separate package?  Would we still
be able to use the runtime dlls that were part of the deployment package
for 6.5?

Thanks,
Teresa Brinkley
0
Teresa_Brinkley

the deployment dll's are part of the product. If you compile your
application with PB8 ( after migrating the pbl's), you will have to deploy
the PB8 runtime dll's.
<Teresa_Brinkley> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We currently have a few Powerbuilder apps that have been developed using
PB
> 6.5.  All of them use an Oracle database.  Some of them make use of the
pfc
> libraries.  Some of these apps serve as a batch interface while others are
> major applications.  Most of our applications are fat-client.  However, we
> do have one application that is a 3-tier application.
>
> Our applications run mostly on Windows 2000, although we still have some
> users using NT and possibly Win 95.  We have packaged PB 6.5 Deployment
> dlls and as new users need the application, they not only receive the PB
> exe and pbds but the runtime dlls as well.
>
> My manager was under the impression that if we upgraded to Powerbuilder
> 8.0, we would have to obtain certain runtime PB 8.0 deployment dlls.  At
> this time, we have not decided to web enable our apps, however, as budgets
> allow, we may pursue that in the future.
>
> I have spoken to a couple of Sybase Account Managers and they have given
me
> a quote for the upgrade with respect to the licenses that we need.  They
> did not know though which deployment package would suite our needs.
>
> My question to you is - does the Powerbuilder 8.0 upgrade include the
> deployment dlls that we need or is this a separate package?  Would we
still
> be able to use the runtime dlls that were part of the deployment package
> for 6.5?
>
> Thanks,
> Teresa Brinkley

0
Philip
9/26/2002 1:04:29 PM
See the Application Techniques manual chapter 35,36 for deployment
instructions
http://sybooks.sybase.com/pbg0800e.html

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

"Philip SIDGWICK" <philip.sidgwick@noemail.please> wrote in message
> the deployment dll's are part of the product. If you compile your
> application with PB8 ( after migrating the pbl's), you will have to deploy
> the PB8 runtime dll's.
> <Teresa_Brinkley> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > We currently have a few Powerbuilder apps that have been developed using
> PB
> > 6.5.  All of them use an Oracle database.  Some of them make use of the
> pfc
> > libraries.  Some of these apps serve as a batch interface while others
are
> > major applications.  Most of our applications are fat-client.  However,
we
> > do have one application that is a 3-tier application.
> >
> > Our applications run mostly on Windows 2000, although we still have some
> > users using NT and possibly Win 95.  We have packaged PB 6.5 Deployment
> > dlls and as new users need the application, they not only receive the PB
> > exe and pbds but the runtime dlls as well.
> >
> > My manager was under the impression that if we upgraded to Powerbuilder
> > 8.0, we would have to obtain certain runtime PB 8.0 deployment dlls.  At
> > this time, we have not decided to web enable our apps, however, as
budgets
> > allow, we may pursue that in the future.
> >
> > I have spoken to a couple of Sybase Account Managers and they have given
> me
> > a quote for the upgrade with respect to the licenses that we need.  They
> > did not know though which deployment package would suite our needs.
> >
> > My question to you is - does the Powerbuilder 8.0 upgrade include the
> > deployment dlls that we need or is this a separate package?  Would we
> still
> > be able to use the runtime dlls that were part of the deployment package
> > for 6.5?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Teresa Brinkley

0
Terry

PB 6.5 Migrated from PB 5.0 Application deployment
I recently migrated a PFC/PFE application from PB 5.04 to 6.5. I have compiled it down to p-code and am able to run the application from both the developement environment & from the EXE on the machine that has PB 5.04 installed on it. When I move the application and the PB 6.5 deployment DLL's to a machine without PB 5.04 on it, it starts asking me for the whole set of PB 5.04 deplymnt DLL's. It's like there is some sort of dependance on PB 5.04 that I didn't break during the migration process. My OS is NT 4.0 SP4 and the application path includes the app/pbd'...

PB 6.0 Deployment DLLs
Where can I get the list of deployment DLLs for 6.0? paul In article <01bd317a$9e67dd20$78000a0a@tomnt>, ppower@tropical.com says... > Where can I get the list of deployment DLLs for 6.0? > paul > For 5.0 there was a list in an appendix of the PowerBuilder User's Guide. I haven't looked yet with PB 6.0 but you might try there. -- Regards, Don Roof [TeamPS] Spectrum Technology Group, Inc. droof@netmcr.com Hi, Just use the PB setup and deploy what you want to deploy. It consists of a few DLLs: pbvm60.dll (virtual machine) pbdwe060.dll (only n...

PB 6.5 Vs PB 8.0
We have an application developed using PB 6.5. Recently we started running into problems with the build and Visual Source Safe. We are considering migrating to PB 8.0. What are the benefits of migrating to PB 8.0? Are there any major benefits with respect to builds. I went through some of the postings on this newsgroup, but could not get much information. If someone has any links or ideas, it would help us a lot. Regards Srinivas ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Have you tried reading the newsgroup powersoft.p...

pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases
I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of Power Biulder. Thanks. Charlie. Charlie You...

Experiences with PB 6.5.1 vs. PB 6.5.0
Any people run into any problems with 6.5.1 (+ EBF 1163) that were not there in vanilla 6.5.0. We have to migrate very late in the game (1 week before going live!) due to problems with 6.5.0 Oracle drivers and I would appreciate any advice on anything that got broken in that release. TIA, -- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Jacek Furmankiewicz STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com --------------------------------------------------------------------- 6.51 introduces a peculiar side effect during update() of datawindow - scrolls the d...

PB 5.0 to PB 6.5, 7.x, 8.0??
I have a client who needs to move from an initial PB 5.0 release (no patches applied) to a newer version of PB. This is a small internal application but they would like to open it up via the internet in the future. They are currently running on a SQL Anywhere DB but would be looking to change that also. I don't have any hands on experience with PB 7.x but from what I heard and read it hasn't been that great. I've been using PB 6.5 since build 444 and was thinking of recommending that they make the move to 6.5 first and then wait for PB 8.0 later this year. Any thoug...

PB 6.5.0 vs PB 6.5.1 with datastores
Hi all, I began developing a large application using PB 6.5.0 several months ago. For various reasons, we had to migrate the code to 6.5.1. After performing some recursion testing, we noticed that many operations involving datastores ( create, insert rows, update, destroy ) began generating random GPF/Page Faults. The code itself hasn't changed and was verified in PB 6.5.0 via extensive testing. This is a hard one to pinpoint since the crashing is somewhat random. I've read some posts that indicate that certain dot notation can be problematic. All objects were fully rebuilt...

PB 6 and PB 6.5 Upgrade to PB 8.0 in OS W2K Professional
PB 6 and PB 6.5 crash in OS W2K Professional: I notice that I need to upgrade to 6.5.1 as well as EBF 1299. However, I am only able to get 6.5.1. Where can I get the optionally patch EBF 1299? Is there any document to indicate any known problem in OS W2K for 6.0 and 6.5? PB 6 and PB 6.5 Upgrade to PB 8.0: Can be upgrade from 6.0 and/or 6.5 directly to 8.0? Is 8.0 support WIN XP? Regards. Set your timeframe to 'ALL' on http://downloads.sybase.com. While that is the most current build, it was released at least over 6 months ago (the default timeframe of this site)...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

[MIGRATION QUESTION] PB 6.5.1 vs PB 8.0.1
Hi everyone, i have a question : We have developped a startegic application for one of our customer. We've developped it using PB 6.5.1 (on Windows NT 4.0) we plan to migrate this application to PB 8.0.1. Does anyone have heard about particuliar problems about PB 8 ? What is your opinion about this new version ? It seems to be faster... Is it stable enough w/ OCXs, etc ? Thanks in advance for any answer ! best regards, Guillaume MAISON In Sybase.Public.EAServer.PowerBuilder I answered another question regarding PB4 to PB8. See that posting for further detai...

Running PB 6.5.1 on Localized Deployment Kit of 6.5.0
Hi, Because the Localized Deployment Kit for PB 6.5.1 is not yet available (am I wrong?), I'am planning to build my application (EXE + PBDs) on PB 6.5.1 and then use the �old� Localized Deployment Kit of PB 6.5.0 to execute it. Does someone already try it? Do you think it will work? TIA, Claude Charest Claude, I would not recommend this... I've done it in the past and have had (seemingly) random GPFs and "Internal PowerBuilder Error, contact Sybase" errors. If you decide to do this, test, test, test and then test some more. HTH, Greg -- ______...

PB 5.0.04 vs PB 6.5.444 behavior difference
I found a difference between the two versions of PB. This is a difference that doesn't cause a compile or runtime error but the line of code fails to work as expected. :( In PB 5.0.04 the code is: il_secure_facs = icc_multi.of_facility_get_secure_facs( this ).fac_urn Where icc_multi.of_facility_get_secure_facs( this ) returns a structure that has been created in the structure painter (not an object structure) What I found is that in PB 6.5.444 the code fails to return the structure and also there is no compile or runtime error to indicate a problem. The workaro...

Web resources about - PB 8.0 Deployment Dlls vs. PB 6.5 Deployment Dlls - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Quality function deployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... developed QFD in Japan in 1966, when the author combined his work in quality assurance and quality control points with function deployment used ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

Massive Growth in SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
When we posted in May about the state of STARTTLS deployment, we had no idea that we would see such significant changes to email encryption across ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

Rosetta: close orbits to lander deployment (annotated) - YouTube
Animation showing Rosetta’s orbit in the lead up to, during and after lander separation. The animation begins on 1 October 2014, when Rosetta ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

South China Sea: US agrees to spy plane deployment in Singapore
The United States has agreed with Singapore on a first deployment of the US P8 Poseidon spy plane in Singapore this month, in a fresh response ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...