PB 7 vs PB 6 & PB 5

We have a large application, compiled with PB 5.04, running at about 20
client sites.

Generally speaking, if a PB 5.04 app is compiled with PB 7, what changes can
the developer expect in app performance and memory usage?

Thank you,
st

0
snowtracks

I'm assuming that 5.04 app is a 16 bit app.  With PB7, you're going to be
compiling 32bit apps.  There are issues associated with that (I don't know
if you are calling 16 bit functions or not).  The files will generally be
much larger.  I haven't seen much myself that noticable as far as memory
or performance issues though.

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:39:53 -0700,
snowtracks <snowtracks@compuserve.com> wrote:
>We have a large application, compiled with PB 5.04, running at about 20
>client sites.
>
>Generally speaking, if a PB 5.04 app is compiled with PB 7, what changes can
>the developer expect in app performance and memory usage?
>
>Thank you,
>st

Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html
0
Bruce

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

PB 7.0 & PB 6.5
Hi, lcidll32.dll (used in PB 6.5 for database connectivity)-could anyone tell the equivalent dll version in PB 7.0 thanks. nsr ...

PB 6.5.0 vs PB 6.5.1 with datastores
Hi all, I began developing a large application using PB 6.5.0 several months ago. For various reasons, we had to migrate the code to 6.5.1. After performing some recursion testing, we noticed that many operations involving datastores ( create, insert rows, update, destroy ) began generating random GPF/Page Faults. The code itself hasn't changed and was verified in PB 6.5.0 via extensive testing. This is a hard one to pinpoint since the crashing is somewhat random. I've read some posts that indicate that certain dot notation can be problematic. All objects were fully rebuilt...

Experiences with PB 6.5.1 vs. PB 6.5.0
Any people run into any problems with 6.5.1 (+ EBF 1163) that were not there in vanilla 6.5.0. We have to migrate very late in the game (1 week before going live!) due to problems with 6.5.0 Oracle drivers and I would appreciate any advice on anything that got broken in that release. TIA, -- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Jacek Furmankiewicz STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com --------------------------------------------------------------------- 6.51 introduces a peculiar side effect during update() of datawindow - scrolls the d...

pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases
I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of Power Biulder. Thanks. Charlie. Charlie You...

Microsoft SQL Server 6.x (PB 6.5) VS ODBC (PB 10.5) ...
Hi everybody, After migrating my application from PB 6.5 which uses Microsoft SQL Server 6.x as a DB connection and having to set up ODBC for PB 10.5 I am getting the following error: "SQLSTATE = 22005, Invalid character value for cast specification" This happen for absolutely every single dw that is created based on an Store Procedure. What could be happening? How can I fix this? Thank you, Gabriela ...

Perfromance problem PB 6.5.1 Vs PB 7.0.2
Is it possible that PB 7 is more slow then PB 6.5 ?? If yes why ??? My test i the follow : LONG ll_idx LONG ll_cpu REAL lr_calc ll_cpu = CPU () FOR ll_idx = 1 TO 1000000 lr_calc = ( lr_calc + 0.25 ) * 2 NEXT MessageBox ( "" , CPU () - ll_cpu ) the result (10 times ) is: PB 6.5.1 = 990 PB 7.0.2 = 1025 the machine is a P2 400 MHZ 128 RAM and WIN 98 ...

pb 6.5 to pb 7 or 8
Is there anyone who have migrate from PB 6.5 to a recent release as V7 or V8 ? We would like to know if some problems can occur and whichones. In the same time, migrate from asa6.03 to 7 We are in the process of converting from 6.5 to 7.0.3 (10079)... the major issues that we found (once we got past build 10059) were mainly timing and Treeview related... Some timing changes caused some endless loops in the initialization of most of our treeview objects... The reason for the move past 10059 was a fairly major issue with PB loosing track of which events had extend/overri...

PB 6 vs PB 7 info
Is there a doc somewhere that details the changes from PB 7 over PB 6? thanks. http://www.sybase.com/products/powerbuilder/pbpdinfo.htm -- Gegroet - Eric Aling [TeamSybase], Cypres Informatisering, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://www.knoware.nl/users/cypr115 Mark Micklich <srfpci1@pacbell.net> schreef in berichtnieuws rIca0AbP$GA.313@forums.sybase.com... > Is there a doc somewhere that details the changes from PB 7 over PB 6? > thanks. > > ...

PB 5.0 to PB 6.5, 7.x, 8.0??
I have a client who needs to move from an initial PB 5.0 release (no patches applied) to a newer version of PB. This is a small internal application but they would like to open it up via the internet in the future. They are currently running on a SQL Anywhere DB but would be looking to change that also. I don't have any hands on experience with PB 7.x but from what I heard and read it hasn't been that great. I've been using PB 6.5 since build 444 and was thinking of recommending that they make the move to 6.5 first and then wait for PB 8.0 later this year. Any thoug...

PB 6 and PB 6.5 Upgrade to PB 8.0 in OS W2K Professional
PB 6 and PB 6.5 crash in OS W2K Professional: I notice that I need to upgrade to 6.5.1 as well as EBF 1299. However, I am only able to get 6.5.1. Where can I get the optionally patch EBF 1299? Is there any document to indicate any known problem in OS W2K for 6.0 and 6.5? PB 6 and PB 6.5 Upgrade to PB 8.0: Can be upgrade from 6.0 and/or 6.5 directly to 8.0? Is 8.0 support WIN XP? Regards. Set your timeframe to 'ALL' on http://downloads.sybase.com. While that is the most current build, it was released at least over 6 months ago (the default timeframe of this site)...

Web resources about - PB 7 vs PB 6 & PB 5 - sybase.powerbuilder.general