PB 5 to PB 9?

Hello,
I have to help a client decide whether he should migrate a PB 5 application
to PB 9. The current application uses a SQL/Server 6.5 database. They want
to upgrade the database to SQL/Server 2000. They wonder if they should also
upgrade PB5 to PB9 at the same time. The application will not be rewritten,
only the minimum would be done to make it works on PB9. What would be the
benefits of migrating to PB 9? What is the recommended configuration of the
workstations running deployed PB 9 applications?
Also, what about PB 5 with SQL/Server 2000?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
David.

0
David

Precision, by SQL/Server I mean Microsoft SQL/Server.

"David Gagn�" <gagne.david@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have to help a client decide whether he should migrate a PB 5
application
> to PB 9. The current application uses a SQL/Server 6.5 database. They want
> to upgrade the database to SQL/Server 2000. They wonder if they should
also
> upgrade PB5 to PB9 at the same time. The application will not be
rewritten,
> only the minimum would be done to make it works on PB9. What would be the
> benefits of migrating to PB 9? What is the recommended configuration of
the
> workstations running deployed PB 9 applications?
> Also, what about PB 5 with SQL/Server 2000?
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> David.

0
David
1/7/2004 3:04:14 AM
Proceeding with PB5 would be an incredibly high risk venture. Not only
is PB5 unsupported by Sybase, but the only way PB5 can connect to SQL
Server 2K, DBLib, is unsupported by Microsoft. If anything goes wrong,
about the most support you'll get is a sympathetic spouse.

Benefits of upgrading are hard to say, because it is somewhat akin to
saying what is the best part of Disney World. It's going to be
different for most people. It could be anything from run time UI
enhancements (flat tool bars, XP style, new controls) to electronic
report exchange opportunities (HTML, PDF, XML). Of course, one killer
question may be, if they are upgrading their DBMS, why? The old DBLib
interface won't be able to take advantage of new SQL Server 2K
features, so the OLE DB interface may be the killer feature for the
upgrade. Have a look at all the new features for all the versions
you're bypassing to decide for yourself:
http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/changes_to_powerbuilder.html

Recommended configuration is pretty hard to say as well. An app that
caches one million rows of data in memory is going to require more
memory than an app that scans the registry for a given string. I'd be
more concerned about minimum OS requirements than anything else (NT,
2K, XP).

Good luck,

On 6 Jan 2004 18:48:42 -0800, "David Gagn�" <gagne.david@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>I have to help a client decide whether he should migrate a PB 5 application
>to PB 9. The current application uses a SQL/Server 6.5 database. They want
>to upgrade the database to SQL/Server 2000. They wonder if they should also
>upgrade PB5 to PB9 at the same time. The application will not be rewritten,
>only the minimum would be done to make it works on PB9. What would be the
>benefits of migrating to PB 9? What is the recommended configuration of the
>workstations running deployed PB 9 applications?
>Also, what about PB 5 with SQL/Server 2000?
>
>Any advice appreciated.

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

Web resources about - PB 5 to PB 9? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Botafogo Futebol Clube (PB) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Botafogo Futebol Clube , usually known as Botafogo , or as Botafogo da Paraíba , is a Brazilian football club from João Pessoa , Paraíba state ...

Scaling the Facebook Data Warehouse to 300 PB
... At Facebook, we have unique storage scalability challenges when it comes to our data warehouse. Our warehouse stores upwards of 300 PB of Hive ...

PB Wolf (@OleHippieChick) on Twitter

Peanut Butter Sandwich Maker - PB & Jelly! on the App Store on iTunes
Get Peanut Butter Sandwich Maker - PB & Jelly! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

PB Visa Gold Credit Card - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
My first credit card - Public Bank Visa Gold My First Credit Card: PB Visa Gold

YouTube - 7.00!!! OMG!!! NEW PB! OMG!! OMG!!! SO CLOSE TO SIX!! OOMMGG!!!
Hochgeladen am 12.10.2008 Official OMG Skrillex T-Shirts are available at SkrillexMerch.com. Check them out! This special video has been featured ...

Canberra's Zoe Buckman sets 1500m PB
Canberra's Zoe Buckman set a PB in the 1500m at the Diamond League meet in Oregon on Saturday.

Pacific Basin puts PB Towage up for sale
PACIFIC Basin Shipping says it has hired Citigroup to find buyers for its tug business PB Towage, which operates in Australia, Southeast Asia ...

Review: Aukey’s 12,000mAh PB-N28 is the $25 battery that fully refills any current iPad
Last month, budget charging accessory maker Aukey released PB-N30 , the first external battery with a female Lightning recharging port. For only ...

Chill Out With PB And J In Polar Bowler, A Bowling Game Like No Other
PB and J are back in a brand new game for Apple’s iOS called Polar Bowler . The new app, which promises gamers a bowling game like no other, ...