Oracle API in PowerBuilder

I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to use the Oracle API in PB
before. If you have, I could really use your help.

Here is the documented Oracle function that I want to use as an external
function in PB (and there are more but I want to successfully call the
first one before I move on):

sword OCIEnvInit ( OCIEnv **envhpp,
             ub4 mode,
             size_t xtramemsz,
             dvoid **usrmempp );

envhpp (OUT)
     A pointer to a handle to the environment.
mode (IN)
     Specifies initialization of an environment mode.
xtramemsz (IN)
     Specifies the amount of user memory to be allocated for the
duration of the environment.
usrmempp (OUT)
     Returns a pointer to the user memory of size xtramemsz allocated by
the call for the user for the duration of the environment.

This is how I interpreted the data types being passed into the function:

     sword = C++ int = PB Long
     ub4 = C++ unsigned int = PB ULong
     size_t = C++ _w64 unsigned int = PB ULong
     dvoid = C++ void = PB Long

This is my PB external function:

PUBLIC FUNCTION Long OCIEnvInit(REF ULong envhp, ULong param1, ULong
param2, REF Long param3 ) LIBRARY "OCI.DLL"

For some reason I get this error:

Error: Specified argument type differs from required argument type at
runtime in DLL function ocienvinit.
  (invalid stack pointer on return from function call) at line 22 in
clicked event of object cb_4 of w_main.

If you've successfully used this API in PowerBuilder please let me know.

Thanks,

Brad

www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
  - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
  - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
  - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com

www.iCrazySQL.com
  - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server
and SQL Anywhere

Brad

That is the error that happens when a C function is compiled such that only
C programs can call it.

To be called by PB or VB6, a function must be declared like this in C:

datatype WINAPI funcname ( datatype argname )

"Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to use the Oracle API in PB before.
> If you have, I could really use your help.
>
> Here is the documented Oracle function that I want to use as an external
> function in PB (and there are more but I want to successfully call the
> first one before I move on):
>
> sword OCIEnvInit ( OCIEnv **envhpp,
>             ub4 mode,
>             size_t xtramemsz,
>             dvoid **usrmempp );
>
> envhpp (OUT)
>     A pointer to a handle to the environment.
> mode (IN)
>     Specifies initialization of an environment mode.
> xtramemsz (IN)
>     Specifies the amount of user memory to be allocated for the duration
> of the environment.
> usrmempp (OUT)
>     Returns a pointer to the user memory of size xtramemsz allocated by
> the call for the user for the duration of the environment.
>

> This is how I interpreted the data types being passed into the function:
>
>     sword = C++ int = PB Long
>     ub4 = C++ unsigned int = PB ULong
>     size_t = C++ _w64 unsigned int = PB ULong
>     dvoid = C++ void = PB Long
>

> This is my PB external function:
>
> PUBLIC FUNCTION Long OCIEnvInit(REF ULong envhp, ULong param1, ULong
> param2, REF Long param3 ) LIBRARY "OCI.DLL"
>

> For some reason I get this error:
>

> Error: Specified argument type differs from required argument type at
> runtime in DLL function ocienvinit.
>  (invalid stack pointer on return from function call) at line 22 in
> clicked event of object cb_4 of w_main.
>

> If you've successfully used this API in PowerBuilder please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad
>

> --
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>  - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
>  - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>  - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.iCrazySQL.com
>  - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
> SQL Anywhere
>
> ******************************************************************************************************

0
Roland
2/19/2009 8:50:21 PM
Althought I haven't used this before, but eventually the first call should be OCIInitialize () or better OCIEnvCreate ().

Arnd

On 19 Feb 2009 09:24:49 -0800, "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to use the Oracle API in PB
>before. If you have, I could really use your help.
>
>Here is the documented Oracle function that I want to use as an external
>function in PB (and there are more but I want to successfully call the
>first one before I move on):
>
>sword OCIEnvInit ( OCIEnv **envhpp,
>             ub4 mode,
>             size_t xtramemsz,
>             dvoid **usrmempp );
>
>envhpp (OUT)
>     A pointer to a handle to the environment.
>mode (IN)
>     Specifies initialization of an environment mode.
>xtramemsz (IN)
>     Specifies the amount of user memory to be allocated for the
>duration of the environment.
>usrmempp (OUT)
>     Returns a pointer to the user memory of size xtramemsz allocated by
>the call for the user for the duration of the environment.
>

>This is how I interpreted the data types being passed into the function:
>
>     sword = C++ int = PB Long
>     ub4 = C++ unsigned int = PB ULong
>     size_t = C++ _w64 unsigned int = PB ULong
>     dvoid = C++ void = PB Long
>

>This is my PB external function:
>
>PUBLIC FUNCTION Long OCIEnvInit(REF ULong envhp, ULong param1, ULong
>param2, REF Long param3 ) LIBRARY "OCI.DLL"
>

>For some reason I get this error:
>

>Error: Specified argument type differs from required argument type at
>runtime in DLL function ocienvinit.
>  (invalid stack pointer on return from function call) at line 22 in
>clicked event of object cb_4 of w_main.
>

>If you've successfully used this API in PowerBuilder please let me know.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brad

0
Arnd
2/19/2009 10:28:17 PM
I think Roland determined that it can't be called from PB, which is fine.

I wrote a C++ function to call these functions. Would you know how to
pass a string by reference to a C++ function? Do you know what the C++
function signature would look like and how to copy a string to the
parameter?

Arnd Schmidt wrote:
> Althought I haven't used this before, but eventually the first call should be OCIInitialize () or better OCIEnvCreate ().
>
> Arnd
>

> On 19 Feb 2009 09:24:49 -0800, "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to use the Oracle API in PB
>> before. If you have, I could really use your help.
>>
>> Here is the documented Oracle function that I want to use as an external
>> function in PB (and there are more but I want to successfully call the
>> first one before I move on):
>>
>> sword OCIEnvInit ( OCIEnv **envhpp,
>>             ub4 mode,
>>             size_t xtramemsz,
>>             dvoid **usrmempp );
>>
>> envhpp (OUT)
>>     A pointer to a handle to the environment.
>> mode (IN)
>>     Specifies initialization of an environment mode.
>> xtramemsz (IN)
>>     Specifies the amount of user memory to be allocated for the
>> duration of the environment.
>> usrmempp (OUT)
>>     Returns a pointer to the user memory of size xtramemsz allocated by
>> the call for the user for the duration of the environment.
>>

>> This is how I interpreted the data types being passed into the function:
>>
>>     sword = C++ int = PB Long
>>     ub4 = C++ unsigned int = PB ULong
>>     size_t = C++ _w64 unsigned int = PB ULong
>>     dvoid = C++ void = PB Long
>>

>> This is my PB external function:
>>
>> PUBLIC FUNCTION Long OCIEnvInit(REF ULong envhp, ULong param1, ULong
>> param2, REF Long param3 ) LIBRARY "OCI.DLL"
>>

>> For some reason I get this error:
>>

>> Error: Specified argument type differs from required argument type at
>> runtime in DLL function ocienvinit.
>>  (invalid stack pointer on return from function call) at line 22 in
>> clicked event of object cb_4 of w_main.
>>

>> If you've successfully used this API in PowerBuilder please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brad

www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
  - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
  - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
  - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com

www.iCrazySQL.com
  - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server
and SQL Anywhere

Brad
2/20/2009 3:00:35 PM
I am not sure what you mean...

So here is my 2 minutes how to build an dll .

Create a VC DLL Project "OCIWrapper" and add these lines to the cpp code:

__declspec(dllexport) long __stdcall StringReverse ( TCHAR *as_input, TCHAR *as_output )
{
  long l, i;

  for (l=0 ; as_input[l]!='\0' ; ++l);
  for (i=0 ; i<l ; i++) {
      as_output[l - i - 1] = as_input[i];
  }

  return l;

}

Add or edit the DEF File to your DLL Project with a definition like:

LIBRARY "OCIWrapper"
EXPORTS
 StringReverse

Use PowerBuilder and declare the external function:
FUNCTION long StringReverse ( string a , ref string b ) library "OCIWrapper"

Write some code like:
string a = "ABCDEF"
string b
b = Space ( Len( a ))
StringReverse( a , b )

This should work for PB Unicode.

PB allways passes strings via a pointer.
My feeling is that you can allways use ref, but for outputs, like in this little example
pb must take care of the output allocation before the call.

hth

Arnd

"Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:499ec593@forums-1-dub...
> [...]
>>>  (invalid stack pointer on return from function call) at line 22 in clicked event of object cb_4 of w_main.
>>>

>>> If you've successfully used this API in PowerBuilder please let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Brad
>>

> --
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>  - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
>  - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>  - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.iCrazySQL.com
>  - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and SQL Anywhere

0
Arnd
2/20/2009 6:48:57 PM
I think my problem was more with interacting with the Oracle API. I had
no problem returning regular strings back to PB. Once I figured out how
to use the Oracle functions properly it all worked perfect.

Thanks for your time.

Brad

Arnd Schmidt wrote:
> I am not sure what you mean...
>
> So here is my 2 minutes how to build an dll .
>
> Create a VC DLL Project "OCIWrapper" and add these lines to the cpp code:
>
> __declspec(dllexport) long __stdcall StringReverse ( TCHAR *as_input, TCHAR *as_output )
> {
>   long l, i;
>
>   for (l=0 ; as_input[l]!='\0' ; ++l);
>   for (i=0 ; i<l ; i++) {
>       as_output[l - i - 1] = as_input[i];
>   }
>
>   return l;
>
> }
>
> Add or edit the DEF File to your DLL Project with a definition like:
>
> LIBRARY "OCIWrapper"
> EXPORTS
>  StringReverse
>

> Use PowerBuilder and declare the external function:
> FUNCTION long StringReverse ( string a , ref string b ) library "OCIWrapper"
>
> Write some code like:
> string a = "ABCDEF"
> string b
> b = Space ( Len( a ))
> StringReverse( a , b )
>
> This should work for PB Unicode.
>
> PB allways passes strings via a pointer.
> My feeling is that you can allways use ref, but for outputs, like in this little example
> pb must take care of the output allocation before the call.
>
> hth
>
> Arnd
>
> "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:499ec593@forums-1-dub...
>> I think Roland determined that it can't be called from PB, which is fine.
>>
>> I wrote a C++ function to call these functions. Would you know how to pass a string by reference to a C++ function? Do you know
>> what the C++ function signature would look like and how to copy a string to the parameter?
>>

>> Arnd Schmidt wrote:
>>> Althought I haven't used this before, but eventually the first call should be OCIInitialize () or better OCIEnvCreate ().
>>>
>>> Arnd

>> --
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>  - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
>>  - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>  - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>> www.iCrazySQL.com
>>  - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and SQL Anywhere
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************

www.PowerToTheBuilder.com

  - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
	- Available for PB 9,10,10.5 and 11 developers
  - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE and SQL Server
  - Get updates from by blog - www.PowerToTheBuilder.com/blog

Submit a PowerBuilder Success Story
www.PowerToTheBuilder.com/success.aspx

Brad

PowerBuilder 9.0.1: Connect to Oracle Using the PowerBuilder Native Driver
Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be related to our production issue. http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397 http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896 Thanks in advance, John johnshi@yahoo.com The first one only affects the development environment, and the second one is only applicable to datawindows build with the old PBDBMS method. What problems are you having? On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote: >Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be >related to our production i...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Powerbuilder and oracle
hi, execute a oracle(v8) procedure from a PB(v6.5) app, pass string value into the procedure. everything is ok except when string passed with "->", when the string has "->" in it. PowerBuilder app termintes abnormally. Is it "->" a special symble in PB or Oracle? Thanks It is a known problem with all versions of PB Oracle drivers, this symbol is interpreted as dblink or smth like that... > > execute a oracle(v8) procedure from a PB(v6.5) app, pass > string value into the procedure. everything is ok except > when str...

Powerbuilder and Oracle
I am using PB 7.0 and Oracle 7. - When I try to create a Datawindow I am getting a message "Invalid colum", clicking the ok buttom allows me to continue and create the DW. - Once it is saved I can not make any modification to it, even in the painter. - I used to do the following with PB 6 : Export the DW and modifiy the sql statement generated by PB, then imported and it worked, now I can not do it anymore. Any hint what is going on? Thanks Enrique That sounds very strange. You should never have to export a DW to modify the SQL statement, unless it...

Oracle and PowerBuilder
I've browsed through the newsgroups and I get the impression I can connect our PB 6.5.1 applications to an Oracle 9 database if I use the latest EBF for 6.5.1 and the pb08460.dll drivers. Is that correct? (As much as variations on this topic is coming up, you would think some enterprising sole might build a web page with responses for the various combinations.) Thats correct. The issue is that PB6.5.1 support ended in Sep 2001 but much of the engineering effort on new features ended before that date and 9i was released. /ck "Al Knowles" <codefinger@...

Powerbuilder and Oracle
I have to migrate a Datawindow that calls a Sybase Stored Procedure to an Oracle one. The current proc uses temp table to store data and then selects out of it at the end...a normal occurence in the Sybase world. I tried to do the same in Oracle but of course it's not as simple. I need to find out how to emulate this behaviour (Temp tabes and Selects...) using Oracle as the back end but have the datawindow look essentially the same. Basically I'm trying to do this d_mydatawindow calls proc_myproc ddl for proc_myproc create proc proc_myproc as ...

Using PowerBuilder with Oracle 9i AND Oracle Lite
Morning Y'all: I'd like to know if anyone out there has succesfully interfaced a PowerBuilder application with an Oracle 9i main database AND Oracle Lite? One the next subsystems I need to develop requires that it be portable on a laptop and its data be synched up when the user returns to the office. We use Oracle 9i (version 9.2) with PB9.01. We have our first modules up and running to users on the main database. This next module, I'm researching how I can have it run on the main database and on those users with laptops. I'm checking Oracle's Lite section but...

PowerBuilder 7: upgrading Oracle 8 to Oracle 9
Hello, I'm currently using PowerBuilder 7.0.3 connecting to Oracle 8.1.7. If I upgraded to Oracle9i, will the upgrade cause any problems with my existing applications and continue to develop applications? I noticed that new features were not supported by PB7 as stated by Sybase below. I simply can't utilize new features, right?? Thanks in advance --- snip --- http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1011566 Version: PowerBuilder 7.0.3 Connects to: Oracle 9.0.1 Driver: pbo8470.dll Notes: Oracle 9.0.1 new features are not supported with this driver. -------- ...

How to connect PowerBuilder to Oracle 11g and which PB version suppports oracle 11g?
Hi All, Please tell me how to connect PowerBuilder to Oracle 11g and which PB version suppports oracle 11g? Currently i am using Power Builder version 9. Thanks Mukul Hi Mukul; FYI: PB version 11.5 and higher has support for the new native O11g driver. You can still use older versions of PB that use the O10g driver over to 11g - but, you will be restricted to 10g functionality. HTH -- Regards ... Chris ISUG - NA RUG Director http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com "mukul" <mukul.trivedi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3f291629-08c6-446a-8c81...

Why Powerbuilder ?
Hi, I face a strange problem.... In company I started to work recently someone years ago decided to do any client/server development ( internal use only ) in SQL Windows / Gupta. As a ex-Power user I never bought into this concept and I think there is no need to discuss which product is better.... The problem now is - a big new project is coming up and I'm trying to lobby for PB as toll to to realize it with ( SQL Server 6.5 as back end ). My boss however doesn't take my opinion for granted, wanted me to convince him that it's right way to go. I surfed the web for a fe...

Powerbuilder
Hi all, I am probably not suppose to be asking this question here but I have been unable to get into the beta news groups and we are getting a little frazzled. Can anyone give us an example of a Jaquar NVO component using a connection pool. We are trying to sync a datastore on easerver with a datawindow and cannot establish a connection through the pool on easerver. We are able to execute a method to insert a row and sync. If that means anything. Thanks Den We are using PB7.0 and EAServer3.0 betas on NT Since the beta's well over and the product is about to be shipped, ...

Web resources about - Oracle API in PowerBuilder - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles