OLE (MS-Word) Control

Hi everybody!  I hope I say this all correctly, cause I have only about 6
months experience with PowerBuilder.

I'm using version 6.5.1 of PowerBuilder...

I have a datawindow where I have placed an OLE control (an MS-Word doc built
in Office 97) in the detail band of the datawindow.  The Word document is
"linked" not "imbeded".  The idea is to merge some addresses (Sybase
columns) with the Word doc and print it.

All of that works great, however once I print the datawindow (using
PFC_PRINT), my mouse will appear normal, but clicking on anything, anywhere
in Windows (Windows 98) acts like the mouse wasn't clicked.

For example, I can't click on the "X" to close any Windows applications, or
click on the desktop to launch anything.

I have to use the keyboard <<ALT>> <<FILE>> <<CLOSE>> to close an
application.  Rebooting Windows is the only way I have found to clear this
problem.

Is OLE buggy?  Is it PowerBuilder?? Or have I missed something in my
script(s) that I need to do???

My guess is that the OLE is eating up my memory and clobbering the mouse.  I
have had other users try my application on their machines, and same problem.
I'm using the MS-Mouse with the wheel in the center (POINT32.EXE) but others
who have tried it using just a standard MS-Mouse also have the same problem.

            -Jim-

0
Jim

Hi Jim,

Have you tried running your application on a Win95 station? If it works
there, you have discovered a Win98 compliance problem
 http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=47859 ) which should
be reported to Sybase.

BTW, in this printing process, are you using MessageBoxes somewhere. If so,
they might interfere with the OLE communication process. If you do have
these messageboxes, comment them out and try again.

HTH
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

- Eric Aling [TeamSybase], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115

Jim Biggs <jim.biggs@state.mn.us> wrote in message
> Hi everybody!  I hope I say this all correctly, cause I have only about 6
> months experience with PowerBuilder.
>
> I'm using version 6.5.1 of PowerBuilder...
>
> I have a datawindow where I have placed an OLE control (an MS-Word doc
built
> in Office 97) in the detail band of the datawindow.  The Word document is
> "linked" not "imbeded".  The idea is to merge some addresses (Sybase
> columns) with the Word doc and print it.
>
> All of that works great, however once I print the datawindow (using
> PFC_PRINT), my mouse will appear normal, but clicking on anything,
anywhere
> in Windows (Windows 98) acts like the mouse wasn't clicked.
>
> For example, I can't click on the "X" to close any Windows applications,
or
> click on the desktop to launch anything.
>
> I have to use the keyboard <<ALT>> <<FILE>> <<CLOSE>> to close an
> application.  Rebooting Windows is the only way I have found to clear this
> problem.
>
> Is OLE buggy?  Is it PowerBuilder?? Or have I missed something in my
> script(s) that I need to do???
>
> My guess is that the OLE is eating up my memory and clobbering the mouse.
> have had other users try my application on their machines, and same
problem.
> I'm using the MS-Mouse with the wheel in the center (POINT32.EXE) but
others
> who have tried it using just a standard MS-Mouse also have the same
problem.

>             -Jim-

0
Eric