OLE Automation with MS Project95

Hi.  I'm using PB 6.0 and trying to use OLE automation with MS Project95.
I can't seem to figure out the command to insert task information into
Project from the PB app.  I've searched almost everywhere for documentation
on this, but have had no luck.  I think it's supposed to be something like
"ole_control.Tasks.Add("Task 1")", but that's not quite it, because it
results in an application error.

If anyone has had success with this, I would be so happy to hear from them
so that I might be able to pick their brain.

Thanks in advance.

--
Eric A. Miller
UPMC Health System

Nevermind.

--
Eric A. Miller
UPMC Health System

Eric A. Miller <millerea@msx.upmc.com> wrote in article
<01bd9adb$d5248e60$38039380@pft21s42>...
> Hi.  I'm using PB 6.0 and trying to use OLE automation with MS Project95.

> I can't seem to figure out the command to insert task information into
> Project from the PB app.  I've searched almost everywhere for
documentation
> on this, but have had no luck.  I think it's supposed to be something
like
> "ole_control.Tasks.Add("Task 1")", but that's not quite it, because it
> results in an application error.
>
> If anyone has had success with this, I would be so happy to hear from
them
> so that I might be able to pick their brain.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Eric A. Miller
> UPMC Health System
> Pittsburgh, PA (USA)
> millerea@msx.upmc.edu

0
UPMC
6/19/1998 12:00:27 PM
AFAIK, Project95 is not OLE enabled, but Project97 is.  Though I may be
wrong :(

Simon

UPMC wrote in message <01bd9adb$d5248e60$38039380@pft21s42>...
>Hi.  I'm using PB 6.0 and trying to use OLE automation with MS Project95.
>I can't seem to figure out the command to insert task information into
>Project from the PB app.  I've searched almost everywhere for documentation
>on this, but have had no luck.  I think it's supposed to be something like
>"ole_control.Tasks.Add("Task 1")", but that's not quite it, because it
>results in an application error.
>
>If anyone has had success with this, I would be so happy to hear from them
>so that I might be able to pick their brain.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Eric A. Miller
>UPMC Health System
>Pittsburgh, PA (USA)
>millerea@msx.upmc.edu

0
Simon
6/22/1998 10:03:00 AM
Simon-

After some more searching through documentation and a lillte bit of trial
and error, I finally tried the following syntax and it worked.

ole_object.ActiveProject.Tasks.Add(as_task, ai_position)

as_task is the task description
ai_position is the position (index) of the task.

I can now create a fairly basic project in Project95 from PowerBuilder.
Now It's time to try some fancy stuff.

--
Eric A. Miller
UPMC Health System

Simon <simon@getreal.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<UbTzY0bn9GA.79@forums.powersoft.com>...
> AFAIK, Project95 is not OLE enabled, but Project97 is.  Though I may be
> wrong :(
>
> Simon
>
> UPMC wrote in message <01bd9adb$d5248e60$38039380@pft21s42>...
> >Hi.  I'm using PB 6.0 and trying to use OLE automation with MS
Project95.
> >I can't seem to figure out the command to insert task information into
> >Project from the PB app.  I've searched almost everywhere for
documentation
> >on this, but have had no luck.  I think it's supposed to be something
like
> >"ole_control.Tasks.Add("Task 1")", but that's not quite it, because it
> >results in an application error.
> >
> >If anyone has had success with this, I would be so happy to hear from
them
> >so that I might be able to pick their brain.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >--
> >Eric A. Miller
> >UPMC Health System
> >Pittsburgh, PA (USA)
> >millerea@msx.upmc.edu

0
Eric
6/22/1998 12:30:00 PM
my mishtake, it proj95 is OLE enabled, it's the previous version that ain't

Simon wrote in message ...
>AFAIK, Project95 is not OLE enabled, but Project97 is.  Though I may be
>wrong :(
>
>Simon
>
>UPMC wrote in message <01bd9adb$d5248e60$38039380@pft21s42>...
>>Hi.  I'm using PB 6.0 and trying to use OLE automation with MS Project95.
>>I can't seem to figure out the command to insert task information into
>>Project from the PB app.  I've searched almost everywhere for
documentation
>>on this, but have had no luck.  I think it's supposed to be something like
>>"ole_control.Tasks.Add("Task 1")", but that's not quite it, because it
>>results in an application error.
>>
>>If anyone has had success with this, I would be so happy to hear from them
>>so that I might be able to pick their brain.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>--
>>Eric A. Miller
>>UPMC Health System
>>Pittsburgh, PA (USA)
>>millerea@msx.upmc.edu

0
Simon

MS-Word & Powerpoint automation, using OLE automation [Edit]
Hello, Here is what I need to do, from my Delphi application : starting from a MS-Word document, create a PPT presentation simply made of a series of embedded MS-Word objects. There would be 1 slide for each page of the source document (assuming same page size & orientation on both sides). This requires to control both a WordApplication and a PowerpointApplication in parallel, and proceed basically as follows : - in Word, open the source file - In Powerpoint, create a new presentation - For each page of the Word doc, |- in Word, select from start to end of current page, then &quo...

OLE automation with MS Project.
Hi, Has any one done OLE automation from PB App to MSProject?? Just wondering what command set to use to manipulate MSProject elements from Powerbuilder. The MSProject VBA help and MSDN doesn't have necessary documentation. Any feed back / links would be highly appreciated. FYI - I am using PB8 and MS Project 2k. Thanks - Rich. Yes. I have just completed such a project, and it works well. You have to look at the VBA Help file. Contact me if you want more help: victora.reinhart@phs.com. Here is some sample code. // The following will automatically start MS Project...

OLE Automation with Delphi and MS Word
Hi, I'm working with Delphi for a while now, but it's the first time that I need to export in Word some data taken from a sqlite database. With SQLite there are no problems, everything works as it should. With Word, also because of the lack of good part of documentation, I'm currently having troubles, in particular, in the moment when i go to split a cell of a table, depending on the number of occurrences found with a SQLite query (1 occurrence = do nothing, 2 occurrences = split the cell into two rows, 15 occurrences = split the cell into 15 rows and so on). When i create ...

Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder??
I'v recently enherited a PowerBuilder app that strips data out of DB2 and inserts it into A Word mail/merge document for printing using OLE. It was built for use with Word 5.0. We've gone to Office 97. It no longer works (same old story). Here is the offending code: ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.EditGoTo ("Include") ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.LINEDOWN(1) ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter(i_sAcctDetail) It stops on the first line and the error message says that the "EditGoTo property was not found" Can someone stear ...

Powerbuilder OLE Automation from SQL Server
I need run a Powerbuilder pbd as an OLE Automation Server from a SQL Server stored procedure. I have done this for years from Visual Basic, but I am having trouble in this scenerio in T-SQL. There are extended stored procedures that allow you to do this sort of thing, but I am having trouble with it. Do anyone have a working example that I can look at to mimic? TIA Paul ...

OLE Automation and MS Word
In evaluating the feasibility of using PB for an application that will use OLE Automation to interface with MS Word, I wrote some exploratory code to determine how efective PB would be as a 'driver' for OLE automation. I have a really simple test application that contains the following snippet of code: integer li_count string ls_bookmark li_count = iole_worddoc.CountBookmarks ls_bookmark = iole_worddoc.bookmarkname(1) ls_bookmark = iole_worddoc.bookmarkname(2) The first line executes in less then 1/2 second. The second line take...

Expert in MS Excel OLE Automation needed
I know this could also be posted in the jobs group but I figured I would post here since its topical. We are thinking of embarking on a new project that will involve extensive use of Excel OLE automation interacting with Excel spreadsheets embedded via OLE Containers directly in our application. So far, sample apps have worked okay, but there are lots of quirks. If there is someone who is an expert in OLE automation with Excel, and is interested in doing some consulting to create proof of principle projects of certain functionality that we need, please contact me at jobs@denovosoftware.com ...

Powerbuilder to MS Word via OLE is slow
Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years. It was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP and it got much slower. With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect, load a template, open a document and populate with data. Now that same process takes about 40 seconds with Word XP. A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM. Doubling the RAM gets us back down to about a 15 second response time. The problem is that we have 800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines. I am wondering if any of you hav...

OLE Automation with Delphi and MS Word [Edit]
Hi, I'm working with Delphi for a while now, but it's the first time that I need to export in Word some data taken from a sqlite database. With SQLite there are no problems, everything works as it should. With Word, also because of the lack of good part of documentation, I'm currently having troubles, in particular, in the moment when i go to split a cell of a table, depending on the number of occurrences found with a SQLite query (1 occurrence = do nothing, 2 occurrences = split the cell into two rows, 15 occurrences = split the cell into 15 rows and so on). When i create ...

OLE Object converted from MS Access is NOT viewable from PowerBuilder
Am I missing something? I have converted up a table from MS Access to MS SQL Server that contains an OLE Object (word document), this becomes a image column in SQL Server (which is fine). The funny part is when I create a datawindow with a blob column in it (using PB 6.5.1) I am unable to see anything in the document, but when I link to the table from MS Access the word document appears to be fine. Does PB interpret word documents differently than MS Access???? If so how do I convert so that PB can interpret the column properly or is there a third party that has function calls that...

Help Needed for
Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder?? I have one report which I wanted to be in Word document. Although it is not exactly mailmerge, I want to replace few of the fields in the word document with the database fields. The problem I am facing is Word says 'Name not found calling external function goto at line ...' I tried using Word 97 / Word 2000 ( PB version is 6.5) The code I wrote is //////////////////////////////////// OLEObject ole_object ole_object = CREATE OLEObject li_rtn = ole_object.ConnectToNewObject("word.application.8") if li_rtn = 0...

Reverse Engieering Database failed using OLE Automation by PowerBuilder
Hi: I use PowerDesigner OLE Automation to reverse engineering database using PowerBuilder language.The interactive Mode setting is batch mode.I can connect to database. Then this program execute reverse engineering database with ODBC.The result is a empty PDM.The reverse output shows reverse engineering is successfully.Described as below: //Reverse Output begin Reverse Engineering Reverse engineers the database ... Database successfully reverse engineered //Reverse Output end If I set interactive Mode to non-batch mode,the reverse engineering will be successfully ...

OLE Automation of a PowerBuilder DLL via VB 5.0
I created a very small PB program with one User Object containing one function that returned an integer. I then created a DLL from this application. I named the ProgID "JAO.PBServer". In the registry, the ProgID is "JAO.PBServer.1" and the VersionIndependentProgID is "JAO.PBServer". The class name in the registry under the PowerBuilder key for this CLSID is "u_server". In VB I did the following: Dim x as object Set x = CreateObject("JAO.PBServer") also tried Set x = CreateObject("JAO.PBServer.1") also tried Set ...

WordPerfect: OLE automation through OLE control
OK, I connected to WordPerfect from PB6.5 by using OLEObject like: OLEObject ole_obj ole_obj= CREATE OLEobject li_rc=ole_obj.ConnectToNewObject ("WordPerfect.PerfectScript") ........ Now it accepts automation commands. But my goal is to start OLE automation through Object property of OLE control. Something like: ole_1.Activate(Offsite!) ole_obj=ole_1.Object.WordPerfect.PerfectScript ..... And that does not work though it does with Word. Does somebody know if it is possible at all to make OLE automation through OLE control and how to do that? Thanks ...

Web resources about - OLE Automation with MS Project95 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Automation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a hierarchical presentation of automation topics, see Outline of automation . For other uses, see Automation (disambiguation) . Automation ...

Automation World - Covering the field of industrial automation
AutomationWorld.com delivers content for the Automation Buying team, which includes Information Technology and Networking; Operations and Engineering; ...

Facebook Ads API Partner AdStage: Campaign Automation, $6.25M Series A Funding
AdStage , a Facebook ads API partner, announced Wednesday the launch of campaign automation — as well as a $6.25 million round of Series A funding. ...

Mind blown! Facebook’s f8 makes a mobile move into marketing automation
... Thus, you’ll need to build a mobile app (if you’re enterprise) or use an app-building platform (such as GroSocial). The marketing automation ...

Automation World (@automationworld)

Automation World
Automation World is your link to the why and how of manufacturing automation. The purpose of this group is to connect manufacturing engineers, ...

Is home automation in your future or are you using it now?
Home automation gets touted by some as the future, but it's really the now. A seemingly endless list of products are on the market and they allow ...

Meet Microbot Push, a home automation gadget lazy people will love
A South Korean startup called Naran has come up with an incredibly clever way for users to control and automate any type of switch-oriented task ...

Robots Will Change World Beyond Recognition Says BoA; Automation Will Change Jobs More Than Kill Them ...
Robot Theory The battle of robot theory is on. Bank of America paints one picture and McKinsey another. Let's investigate both theories. Automation ...

Rockwell Automation Announces Mobility Co-Innovation with Microsoft
A new mobility co-innovation project by Rockwell Automation and Microsoft Corp. will be demonstrated at Automation Fair in Chicago Nov. 18 and ...