new line character

Is there a way to insert a "new line/carriage control" in a varchar column? 
 <Ctrl><Enter> keys work with a text column but just tabs to next control 
on a varchar column. Tried ~r~n but that just stores/prints the text ~r~n.
Seems that <ctrl><enter> used to work in the app.
PB 7.02 9028
0
Mike
2/27/2001 12:54:36 AM
📁 sybase.powerbuilder.general
📃 62418 articles.
⭐ 19 followers.

💬 5 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 10837 Views


You can use char(10) + char(13) to get the cr/lf
--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.
MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase
Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/search.asp
<Mike> wrote in message
news:0854942F93321C950004FF9D85256A00.0004FFAF85256A00@webforums...
> Is there a way to insert a "new line/carriage control" in a varchar
column?
>  <Ctrl><Enter> keys work with a text column but just tabs to next control
> on a varchar column. Tried ~r~n but that just stores/prints the text ~r~n.
>
> Seems that <ctrl><enter> used to work in the app.
>
> PB 7.02 9028

0
Terry
2/27/2001 4:24:13 PM
Actually, I think char (13) + char (10) will get you CR/LF. 
Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the nit-picking techno-kitten
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:24:13 -0700, "Terry Dykstra"
<dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote:
>You can use char(10) + char(13) to get the cr/lf

Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit, 
winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
0
Terry
2/27/2001 9:39:15 PM
picky picky <g>
--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.
MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase
Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/search.asp
"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
news:5i7o9toc9gjlhtbssflh76dbtm1ho67m0r@4ax.com...
> Actually, I think char (13) + char (10) will get you CR/LF.
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the nit-picking techno-kitten
>
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:24:13 -0700, "Terry Dykstra"
> <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >You can use char(10) + char(13) to get the cr/lf
>
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit,
> winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"

0
Terry
2/27/2001 9:55:57 PM
Yeah, but how can the user enter that into the control. For example if they 
enter "My address is 123 Main Street~r~nCityname"
it prints the ~r~n(or char(10)+char(13) instead of a line feed.
It just stores that as text. 
Thanks for your help... 
0
Mike_M
2/28/2001 4:55:19 PM
Are you using a dw? Otherwise you could choose a mle.
Why do you want to store street, streetno and city in one varchar()?
Uwe
Mike_M wrote:
> Yeah, but how can the user enter that into the control. For example if they
> enter "My address is 123 Main Street~r~nCityname"
> it prints the ~r~n(or char(10)+char(13) instead of a line feed.
> It just stores that as text.
>
> Thanks for your help...
0
Uwe
3/1/2001 4:25:17 PM
Reply: