Mouseover on powerbuilder objects

The event id "pbm_nchittest" indicates when the mousepointer moves over a
powerbuilder object. Is there an event id for when the mousepointer moves
away from the object?

I'm running PB 6.5E on WinNT 4.0.

Jan Erik

0
Jan

Jan Erik,

There are a couple of ways to determine when a mouse leaves an object:

1. In the mousemove event (or an event mapped to pbm_mousemove or
pbm_dwnmousemove for datawindows) call the Win32 API SetCapture(). Capturing
the mouse causes the operating system to send WM_MOUSEMOVE messages to the
capturing window even if the mouse is not within the window's boundaries --
based on the x and y coordinates of the mouse, you can determine if the
pointer has left the object, and then call ReleaseCapture() and process your
logic.

2. In the mousemove event call the TrackMouseEvent() Win32 API function.
This will cause the operating system to send WM_MOUSELEAVE and WM_MOUSEHOVER
messages to the calling window object. Since PowerBuilder does not have
event id's mapped to these messages, you will need to code the Other event
to trap for them -- if you are deploying to low-end machines (e.g., 486
w/16MB RAM) you should consider option 1 above, since coding the other event
has some performance penalty associated with it.

You can find the syntax for the above API function at MSDN Online at
http://premium.microsoft.com/msdn/library/?FinishURL=/msdn/library/

pbm_hopethishelps,
Roy

Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message ...
>The event id "pbm_nchittest" indicates when the mousepointer moves over a
>powerbuilder object. Is there an event id for when the mousepointer moves
>away from the object?
>

>I'm running PB 6.5E on WinNT 4.0.
>

>Jan Erik

0
Roy
2/18/1999 9:40:02 PM
Roy Kiesler wrote in message ...
>Jan Erik,
>2. In the mousemove event call the TrackMouseEvent() Win32 API function.
>This will cause the operating system to send WM_MOUSELEAVE and
WM_MOUSEHOVER
>messages to the calling window object. Since PowerBuilder does not have
>event id's mapped to these messages, you will need to code the Other event
>to trap for them

Keep in mind that TrackMouseEvent() is not available on Win95, although
there is a workaround. Some of windows common controls (under Win95) need
it.
The code for this API is included by Micro$oft in comctl32.dll starting with
version 4.70 of the DLL.
In the DLL it is called  _TrackMouseEvent() . It automatically detects
whether the host Win platform implements TrackMouseEvent() and if yes simply
calls it, otherwise emulates it.
Declarations are in commctrl.h

0
Philip
2/18/1999 10:15:52 PM
What I'm trying to do is create a picture button that change the picture if
the mousepointer moves over it, and change back to the original picture when
the pointer moves away from the button.

I want this to be a standalone object, meaning no event handling etc. on the
surrounding objects.

--
Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Jan
2/19/1999 8:20:51 AM
You could create a custom visual userobject and place the picturebutton on
it.  Position the button so that there is a few pixels to the top and left.
Size the userobject so that the area around the button is even.  Use the
pbm_mousemove on the button and pbm_mousemove on the userobject to change
the picture.

Place the userobject created above on your window.  I have done this before
but there may have been a problem if the mouse moved real fast that the
mousemove event didn't happen.

0
Roland
2/19/1999 12:47:50 PM
On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:32:16 -0800,
Jan Erik Hermansen <jan.erik.hermansen@hl.telia.no> wrote:
>The event id "pbm_nchittest" indicates when the mousepointer moves over a
>powerbuilder object. Is there an event id for when the mousepointer moves
>away from the object?
>

>I'm running PB 6.5E on WinNT 4.0.
>

>Jan Erik

Jan Erik,

if  you don't want to use API calls, you could code logic in the mousemove
event of the _parent_ object i.e. window or userobject, which will be triggered
as soon as the focus leaves your control ( command button etc. )

HTH

Oliver Willandsen
European Commission - http://europa.eu.int
Remove PAS_DE_PUB from Email adress

All comments represent my own opinion and may not in any circumstance
be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission

Internet Fiesta - http://www.internet-fiesta.org

European Parliament - http://europarl.eu.int
European Council - http://ue.eu.int
European Central Bank - http://www.ecb.int

0
Oliver
2/19/1999 12:58:10 PM
Jan Erik,

Using the APIs I've mentioned can be done by the picture control itself -- a
picture control is a window -- there is no need for any communications with
any other objects.

<1F7nTA#W#GA.216@forums.powersoft.com>...
>What I'm trying to do is create a picture button that change the picture if
>the mousepointer moves over it, and change back to the original picture
when
>the pointer moves away from the button.
>
>I want this to be a standalone object, meaning no event handling etc. on
the
>surrounding objects.
>
>--
>Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Roy
2/19/1999 2:33:08 PM
Associated with the original problem, how can one obtain absolute screen
coordinates in a mousemove event?  PB returns xpos and ypos relative to the
object's (i.e. DW, button) origin.

For example, if I have a button with an x of 100 and a y of 100 whose height
is 50 and width is 50, the mousemove event I mapped will return like  xpos =
25, ypos = 25 instead of the absolute xpos of 125 and pos of 125.  I have
tried using the clienttoscreen API function, but still no luck.  Any
suggestions?

Tim

Roy Kiesler wrote in message ...
>Jan Erik,
>
>Using the APIs I've mentioned can be done by the picture control itself --
>picture control is a window -- there is no need for any communications with
>any other objects.
>
>Roy
>
>Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message
><1F7nTA#W#GA.216@forums.powersoft.com>...
>>What I'm trying to do is create a picture button that change the picture
if
>>the mousepointer moves over it, and change back to the original picture
>when
>>the pointer moves away from the button.
>>
>>I want this to be a standalone object, meaning no event handling etc. on
>the
>>surrounding objects.
>>
>>--
>>Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Tim
2/22/1999 5:14:49 PM
You have to first use UnitsToPixels() and then call the ClientToScreen()
Win32 API function.

Roy

Tim Wallace wrote in message ...
>Associated with the original problem, how can one obtain absolute screen
>coordinates in a mousemove event?  PB returns xpos and ypos relative to the
>object's (i.e. DW, button) origin.
>
>For example, if I have a button with an x of 100 and a y of 100 whose
height
>is 50 and width is 50, the mousemove event I mapped will return like  xpos
=
>25, ypos = 25 instead of the absolute xpos of 125 and pos of 125.  I have
>tried using the clienttoscreen API function, but still no luck.  Any
>suggestions?
>
>Tim
>
>Roy Kiesler wrote in message ...
>>Jan Erik,
>>
>>Using the APIs I've mentioned can be done by the picture control itself --
>>picture control is a window -- there is no need for any communications
with
>>any other objects.
>>
>>Roy
>>
>>Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message
>><1F7nTA#W#GA.216@forums.powersoft.com>...
>>>What I'm trying to do is create a picture button that change the picture
>if
>>>the mousepointer moves over it, and change back to the original picture
>>when
>>>the pointer moves away from the button.
>>>
>>>I want this to be a standalone object, meaning no event handling etc. on
>>the
>>>surrounding objects.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Roy
2/22/1999 6:40:22 PM
Done that.

Perhaps, when I am doing my API calls to build the tooltips, I ham using the
handle of the wrong object(window) in the clienttoscreen()?  Should I be
using the frame, the sheet, or the button?

Everything else works well.  I can build the tooltip in memory and bitblt it
to the screen, I just don't get it where I want it.  This is the last step
for my tooltip 'service' object to be complete!

Tim

Roy Kiesler wrote in message ...
>You have to first use UnitsToPixels() and then call the ClientToScreen()
>Win32 API function.
>
>Roy
>
>Tim Wallace wrote in message ...
>>Associated with the original problem, how can one obtain absolute screen
>>coordinates in a mousemove event?  PB returns xpos and ypos relative to
the
>>object's (i.e. DW, button) origin.
>>
>>For example, if I have a button with an x of 100 and a y of 100 whose
>height
>>is 50 and width is 50, the mousemove event I mapped will return like  xpos
>=
>>25, ypos = 25 instead of the absolute xpos of 125 and pos of 125.  I have
>>tried using the clienttoscreen API function, but still no luck.  Any
>>suggestions?
>>
>>Tim
>>
>>Roy Kiesler wrote in message ...
>>>Jan Erik,
>>>
>>>Using the APIs I've mentioned can be done by the picture control
itself --
>>>picture control is a window -- there is no need for any communications
>with
>>>any other objects.
>>>
>>>Roy
>>>
>>>Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message
>>><1F7nTA#W#GA.216@forums.powersoft.com>...
>>if
>>>when

>>>the

0
Tim
2/22/1999 7:23:52 PM
Did you check Rui Cruz's tooltips wrapper?

Tim Wallace wrote in message ...
>Done that.

0
Philip
2/22/1999 8:35:30 PM
You have to pass the button's handle to the ClientToScreen() API.

Also, had I known you were trying to implement tooltips, I would have
suggested that you check out the Win32 tooltip common control wrapper that
Rui Cruz created -- http://www.migmag.pair.com/pb/files/tooltip.zip

Roy

Tim Wallace wrote in message ...
>Done that.
>
>Perhaps, when I am doing my API calls to build the tooltips, I ham using
the
>handle of the wrong object(window) in the clienttoscreen()?  Should I be
>using the frame, the sheet, or the button?
>
>Everything else works well.  I can build the tooltip in memory and bitblt
it
>to the screen, I just don't get it where I want it.  This is the last step
>for my tooltip 'service' object to be complete!
>
>Tim
>
>Roy Kiesler wrote in message ...
>>You have to first use UnitsToPixels() and then call the ClientToScreen()
>>Win32 API function.
>>
>>Roy
>>
>>Tim Wallace wrote in message ...
>>>Associated with the original problem, how can one obtain absolute screen
>>>coordinates in a mousemove event?  PB returns xpos and ypos relative to
>the
>>>object's (i.e. DW, button) origin.
>>>
>>>For example, if I have a button with an x of 100 and a y of 100 whose
>>height
>>>is 50 and width is 50, the mousemove event I mapped will return like
xpos
>>=
>>>25, ypos = 25 instead of the absolute xpos of 125 and pos of 125.  I have
>>>tried using the clienttoscreen API function, but still no luck.  Any
>>>suggestions?
>>>
>>>Tim

>itself --
>>with

>>>if

on

0
Roy
2/22/1999 8:46:54 PM
I am writing for some clients not using Win32 yet.  I am using GDI API
calls.  I've seen Rui's stuff...pretty cool.  A good Win32 implementation.

Thanks.

Tim
Roy Kiesler wrote in message <9oKaUSqX#GA.217@forums.powersoft.com>...
>You have to pass the button's handle to the ClientToScreen() API.
>
>Also, had I known you were trying to implement tooltips, I would have
>suggested that you check out the Win32 tooltip common control wrapper that
>Rui Cruz created -- http://www.migmag.pair.com/pb/files/tooltip.zip
>
>Roy
>
>Tim Wallace wrote in message ...
>>Done that.
>>
>>Perhaps, when I am doing my API calls to build the tooltips, I ham using
>the
>>handle of the wrong object(window) in the clienttoscreen()?  Should I be
>>using the frame, the sheet, or the button?
>>
>>Everything else works well.  I can build the tooltip in memory and bitblt
>it
>>to the screen, I just don't get it where I want it.  This is the last step
>>for my tooltip 'service' object to be complete!
>>
>>Tim
>>
>>Roy Kiesler wrote in message ...
>>>You have to first use UnitsToPixels() and then call the ClientToScreen()
>>>Win32 API function.
>>>
>>>Roy

>>the

>>>height
>xpos
>>>=

>>itself --
>>>with

>picture

>on

0
Tim
2/22/1999 9:47:34 PM
Then why are you bothering with API. Do a pure PB implementation.
Check out Cary Hakes web site. I posted a link some time ago...

Tim Wallace wrote in message <17uv4xqX#GA.202@forums.powersoft.com>...
>I am writing for some clients not using Win32 yet.  I am using GDI API
>calls.

0
Philip
2/22/1999 10:39:12 PM
and the link to Cary Hakes site would be...?

Tim

0
Tim
2/23/1999 6:13:04 AM
We did a same thing: making the text of a commandbutton bold when the mouse
moves over the button. I've implemented a simple solution using a timer.
Start the timer (using a timing object, PB6+) when the mouse moves over the
button. Add some logic to start the timer only once. In the timer event,
check if the pointer is still above the button and if not, stop the timer
and set the text back to normal (or whatever you want to do). Very simple,
not API, and always working.

--

- Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115

Jan Erik Hermansen <jan.erik.hermansen@hl.telia.no> wrote in message
1F7nTA#W#GA.216@forums.powersoft.com...
>What I'm trying to do is create a picture button that change the picture if
>the mousepointer moves over it, and change back to the original picture
when
>the pointer moves away from the button.
>
>I want this to be a standalone object, meaning no event handling etc. on
the
>surrounding objects.
>
>--
>Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Eric
2/23/1999 9:12:02 AM
Tim Wallace wrote in message ...
>and the link to Cary Hakes site would be...?

http://lonestar.texas.net/~chakes/powerbui.htm

0
Philip

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

powerbuilder com object vs pocketbuilder .... object
Our powerbuilder application is sending information to a feeding machine by calling a com object. Our program now runs on a mobile device. The software is written with pocketbuilder 2.04. Now we would also like to have the connection with this feeding machine. I talked to the supplier of the feeding machine. He told me that the com object was written in Visual studio C. The simplest solution for them would be to create a .Net object. Is this the way to go? Thanks Eric Up on CodeXChange we have a handful of "adapter" layers (sometimes called "shims&quo...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
From: "Chris Fauvel" <chris_fauvel@fintech.net> Subject: Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript?? Date: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 2:33 PM I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris Use the C...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris hi, I'v tested it yet, i couldn't use it with the global/local external functions declarations method. It could be that some components need to be initialized first and global/local e...

PowerBuilder
Hi, Please change the name of PowerBuilder to something that is more publicly enticing. For instance, NetBuilder Pro, NetBuilder Deluxe, NetBuilder Gold, or something of the sort. Thanks, Ryan Hi Ryan, How about writing to "s.p.powerbuilder.futures_discussions" forum ? By the way, i think that they are about to call it "4GL plus". <Ryan Putnam> a �crit dans le message de news:4012a716.368.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > > Please change the name of PowerBuilder to something that is > more publicly enticing. For instance, NetBuilder P...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

About Powerbuilder...
Hi group, I've upgraded PB 6.5 with the last maintenance release but I always see Version 6.5 Build 444 into "About Powerbuilder..." in Help menu . It's right this? Thanks in advance Michelangelo INGRASSIA There *was* a bug at some point in the PB6 series that didn't report the correct build number. The best way to be certain that *all* the DLLs being loaded are the correct version is to use HandleEx from http://www.sysinternals.com and check all the PB*.DLL versions. This is also useful for troubleshooting, as more than one problem has been cause...

powerbuilder
i'm looking into evaluating powerbuilder and was just wondering if powerbuilder has a COM/CORBA interface. In addition, will powerbuilder accept incoming XML streams? PowerBuilder can generate COM components, although they are actually Com-Wrappered PB components. The CORBA interface hooks into Sybase EAServer, and there's limited access to other CORBA servers. PB cannot accept XML streams natively, but you can implement the MSXML interface without a great deal of difficulty. What's your goal in your evaluation and what are you comparing to? regards, Bill al ...

What is PowerBuilder?
Hello experts I am a student in CS, I am going to write a paper about Rapid application development using PowerBuilder. I need some articles about the arhitecture of PB and how PB fulfill rapid application development's requirement? Should any experts have such articles or journals, please kindly email. thank you very much! SOS -- Best Regards Reply Address->'mailto:seeker@netvigator.com' Paul Ho Why don't you visit http://www.powersoft.com and browse the products section. You will get a lot of information/white papers etc. If you're inte...

Interface Object in PowerBuilder
Dear All: Is it possible to create an Interface Object in PowerBuilder? Any assistance with this request is deeply appreciated. Nick Hsu Yes and no. It has been asked on future-discussion forum, and i asked for it in caseXpress. But read article from Roland M�hlberger, "Using Interfaces with PowerBuilder". http://www.sys-con.com/pbdj/ Volume: 09 Issue: 11 You can get source code for free, but you need to pay to read article. This article used to be on http://www.romu.com/ You can read it using google's cache. On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:18:59 +0800, in ...

Powerbuilder
We're developing a to-sell-system for the restaurants industry. The system has PC and handheld (PocketPC) interfaces. I would like to use PowerBuilder to develop the UI, but I need to know if it is supported the development for the handhelds interface too?? and which specialized (good looking) forms or buttons I could use for the development?? This forum is for source code control questions - better to post in the general forum.. -- Evita R. Chapa Senior Systems Analyst II Command Technologies, Inc. <Mynor_Paredes> wrote in message news:F5DFEA0D01AB9EB700...

Web resources about - Mouseover on powerbuilder objects - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles