Migrating from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0

Hi,
  I have some questions regarding migrating from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0

1) I am migrating a PB 5.0.4 application to PB 7.0.  When I migrated the
application, I got some warnings and Informational messages.  I also got one
error message in a user object :
Error : C0181 : The argument to SetNull cannot be an autoinstantiate or
structure.

The argument I have is a structure instance.  Is there another function I
can use instead ?

2) This application also uses the funcky library.  I was wondering what is a
better substitute for these in 7.0.

3)  Stephen Dupre also mentioned in one of the migration questions, that it
is best to upgrade to 7.0.2 EBF.  For some reason, I am unable to locate
this.

Please point me in the right direction,  if these questions have already
been answered earlier.

Thanks,
madhu

0
madhu

See embedded comments below:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:00:49 -0500, "madhu" <msbharadwaj@mmm.com>
wrote:

>1) I am migrating a PB 5.0.4 application to PB 7.0.  When I migrated the
>application, I got some warnings and Informational messages.  I also got one
>error message in a user object :
>Error : C0181 : The argument to SetNull cannot be an autoinstantiate or
>structure.
>
>The argument I have is a structure instance.  Is there another function I
>can use instead ?

There's no other function, as you can't set structures to NULL anymore
(they weren't meant to be allowed that in the first place). If you're
code depends on that structure being NULL in some cases (ie. it tests
IsNull (structure)), try replacing the structure with a custom class
(non-visual objects for us older types <g>) with instance variables
the same name as your structure elements. Then, change any
declarations that used this structure to the custom class, and add the
CREATE statements where appropriate. (Some people have suggested
another work around of adding an IsNull field to the structure, and
testing that instead.)

>2) This application also uses the funcky library.  I was wondering what is a
>better substitute for these in 7.0.

PFC is supposed to be Sybase's answer to the functionality that
existed there before, but you probably don't want to re-engineer the
ancestry of your entire application to get there. There's supposed to
be a new version of Funcky for PB coming out shortly. Check out
http://www.funcky.com.

>3)  Stephen Dupre also mentioned in one of the migration questions, that it
>is best to upgrade to 7.0.2 EBF.  For some reason, I am unable to locate
>this.

7.0.2 is only available on CD from Sybase. Any post-7.0.2 patches that
are available for download need this. Contact Sybase, and they should
send it to you for the cost of shipping, AFAIK.

Good luck,

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit,
winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
0
Terry
6/17/2000 12:49:10 AM
Thanks for answering all my questions.  I am working on the solutions you
suggested.

madhu

Terry Voth wrote:

> See embedded comments below:
>
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:00:49 -0500, "madhu" <msbharadwaj@mmm.com>
> wrote:
>
> >1) I am migrating a PB 5.0.4 application to PB 7.0.  When I migrated the
> >application, I got some warnings and Informational messages.  I also got one
> >error message in a user object :
> >Error : C0181 : The argument to SetNull cannot be an autoinstantiate or
> >structure.
> >
> >The argument I have is a structure instance.  Is there another function I
> >can use instead ?
>
> There's no other function, as you can't set structures to NULL anymore
> (they weren't meant to be allowed that in the first place). If you're
> code depends on that structure being NULL in some cases (ie. it tests
> IsNull (structure)), try replacing the structure with a custom class
> (non-visual objects for us older types <g>) with instance variables
> the same name as your structure elements. Then, change any
> declarations that used this structure to the custom class, and add the
> CREATE statements where appropriate. (Some people have suggested
> another work around of adding an IsNull field to the structure, and
> testing that instead.)
>
> >2) This application also uses the funcky library.  I was wondering what is a
> >better substitute for these in 7.0.
>
> PFC is supposed to be Sybase's answer to the functionality that
> existed there before, but you probably don't want to re-engineer the
> ancestry of your entire application to get there. There's supposed to
> be a new version of Funcky for PB coming out shortly. Check out
> http://www.funcky.com.
>
> >3)  Stephen Dupre also mentioned in one of the migration questions, that it
> >is best to upgrade to 7.0.2 EBF.  For some reason, I am unable to locate
> >this.
>
> 7.0.2 is only available on CD from Sybase. Any post-7.0.2 patches that
> are available for download need this. Contact Sybase, and they should
> send it to you for the cost of shipping, AFAIK.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit,
> winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"

0
msbharadwaj
6/20/2000 9:37:36 PM
madhu,

FUNCky 6.0 is available and supports PB7. PFC only handles a subset of
FUNCky so it may or may not satisfy your needs.

-Dirk

[FUNCky Developer]
[dLESKO Inc.]

 <-- Got FUNCky? Get it now at http://www.funcky.com. FUNCky Rocks! -->

0
Dirk
6/22/2000 2:10:05 AM
Thanks, Dirk.

madhu

"Dirk Lesko [dLESKO[" wrote:

> madhu,
>
> FUNCky 6.0 is available and supports PB7. PFC only handles a subset of
> FUNCky so it may or may not satisfy your needs.
>
> -Dirk
>
> [FUNCky Developer]
> [dLESKO Inc.]
>
>  <-- Got FUNCky? Get it now at http://www.funcky.com. FUNCky Rocks! -->

0
msbharadwaj
6/23/2000 6:41:26 PM
Anytime...

-Dirk

[FUNCky Developer]
[dLESKO Inc.]

 <-- Got FUNCky? Get it now at http://www.funcky.com. FUNCky Rocks! -->

0
Dirk

Migration from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0.1
Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't have in PB 5.0.4. Thank you Build 7021 for PB 7.0.1 from the Sybase website worked. Thanks for Help! Robert Wren, Jr. <rwren@home.com> wrote in message news:nUQVd1FX$GA.177@forums.sybase.com... > Anyone experience any problems with migrating from 5.0.4 to 7.0.1? I am > having some problems with blobs in PB 7.0.1 and SQL Server 7.0 that I didn't > have in PB 5.0.4. > > Thank you > > ...

PB 5.0.4 migration to PB 7.0.2 issue
I'm trying to help a colleague solve a problem she is having in a fairly complex application. Of course, the application works fine using PB 5.0.4, but after migrating, a sheet which opens a modal window is not stopping to wait for the modal window's result. If I create a simple modal window and open it from the sheet, it does the same thing. If I create a simple sheet and open the modal window from that sheet it works properly. I've done the regens and optimizations. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?! Also if you have any s...

Migration from PB 5.0 to PB 7.0
Hi All, While using the Migration assistant to check if any of the functions being currently used in our application have become Obsolete.I got these error messages PBORCA LIBRARY - Entry Information Failed and PBORCA error message Obsolete - Replaced by f-wait in n_cst_datetime was not found. Error No: 3 These error messages were displayed for the PFC and PFE PBL's. Could anyone please give any suggestions... TIA, Sg Here's a hunch. Check for duplicate PowerBuilder DLLs or mismatched DLLs being loaded. A good tool to check what's being loaded is HandleEx...

Migrating from PB 4.0 to PB 5.0
I am hving a hard time trying to convert from Powerbuilder v4.0 to v5.0. After I have migrated the entire application, i then try to open up a Window and keep getting the message "Open of Window failed. Application has been converted to newest version; window must be re-migrated". I then try to re-migrate the Window and re-open it and again the same message. Any ideas?? Does it definitely say 'remigrated' and not 'regenerated'? If the latter, then regenerating all objects should sort it. Mark Sanford wrote in message <01bd8e64$08e151e0$a4012682@s...

Q: Migrating from PB 4.0 to PB 7.0
Hello, I'm about to attempt the migration of a PB 4.0 application to PB 7.0 and I was wondering if there are any gotcha's I should know about before I begin. The application is a medium sized, non-pfc based client-server application that connects to Oracle 8 and is deployed as an .exe. The system stats are as follows: 5 menu items 9 user objects 17 windows 89 datawindows 2 structures 4 functions Any advice? I've migrated quite a few applications from one version to another, but never one that spans 3 versions... TIA, Bobby R Please post to the corr...

Q:Migration from PB 4.0 to PB 7.0
Hello, I'm about to attempt the migration of a PB 4.0 application to PB 7.0 and I was wondering if there are any gotcha's I should know about before I begin. The application is a medium sized, non-pfc based client-server application that connects to Oracle 8 and is deployed as an .exe. The system stats are as follows: 5 menu items 9 user objects 17 windows 89 datawindows 2 structures 4 functions Any advice? I've migrated quite a few applications from one version to another, but never one that spans 3 versions... TIA, Bobby R Bobby, The things th...

pfc and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0
I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0. This application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm. As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application. I have heard good things about the PFC. From I understand this is the new preferred way to develop apps. I have only heard about the PFC, and have not coded in it. I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes. Is it worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can...

PFC and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0
I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0. This application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm. As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application. I have heard good things about the PFC. From I understand this is the new preferred way to develop apps. I have only heard about the PFC, and have not coded in it. I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes. Is it worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can...

PB 7.0 to PB 5.0
Hi I am currently a PB7.0 programmer(1 year exp), but I found a new job which using PB5.0. My question is:Is it will very difficult for me(focus on syntax, powerful...) thank you very much Having done the same thing... almost... in the other direction, I can say that the actual coding portion of PB hasn't changed drastically between 5 and 7. There was a major rework of the IDE between 6 and 7, but extremely little change in syntax and/or available commands. There were, however, a few new features in 6 that weren't in 5 (shared objects, for one). Not a lot, t...

pb 6.5, pb 7.0, pb 8.0 and future releases
I have designed an app using PB 6.5.1 and feel quite confortable to write another app using this version of Power Buulder. I am aware that there have been many other releases after this but have heard many developers complain about not being stable and so forth. I can't say how true this is cause I never bothered to update to later releases. I recently got a contract for a new app and quite likely will be using Power Biulder but I am wondering if am cheating myself by not trying to upgrade myself to a later release of Power Biulder. Thanks. Charlie. Charlie You...

PB 7.0 or PB 6.5 or PB 6.0 or PB5.04

Migrate/Upgrade from PB 5.0.xx to PB 8.0/9.0
Hi, I am having the PB 5.0.xx Applications running on my pc at this moment. I have to Migrate/Upgrade them to PB 8/9. What is the best way to get this? Can any one give me some guidance on this? Thanks for your Help in Advance Regards Migrating: - Backup - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages turned on - Backup, send it offside - Run Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools in PB8/9) - Fix the identified issues using PB5 <doublechecking> - Optimize in PB5 - Full Rebuild in PB5, with Information and Warning messages t...

Web resources about - Migrating from PB 5.0.4 to PB 7.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...