Is possible use PB Object as like COM/OLE Object but in Java, with a Proxy class ??

I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is it
possible ???

What about Java Proxy project in PB 6.5-7, what was this ??

Thanks in advance

0
Mirko

You can use PB Components in any clients, Java,VB,PB,Delphi etc etc etc

"Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko@tiscali.it> wrote in message
> I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is it
> possible ???
>
> What about Java Proxy project in PB 6.5-7, what was this ??
>
> Thanks in advance

0
Vasu
7/7/2002 3:29:03 AM
Can you explain it better, witohut EAServer I can use it ??

TNX
"Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> You can use PB Components in any clients, Java,VB,PB,Delphi etc etc etc
>

> "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko@tiscali.it> wrote in message
> > I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is it
> > possible ???
> >
> > What about Java Proxy project in PB 6.5-7, what was this ??
> >
> > Thanks in advance

0
Mirko
7/7/2002 6:09:41 PM
Your only option to use PB components without EAServer in the picture is to
compile them as COM components (which places some restrictions -- IDL -- as
to parameter and return value data types).

Accessing COM components from Java code is possible, but is rather
cumbersome (requires a JNO DLL), and performance is questionable.

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

> Can you explain it better, witohut EAServer I can use it ??
>
> TNX
> "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > You can use PB Components in any clients, Java,VB,PB,Delphi etc etc etc
> >

> > "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko@tiscali.it> wrote in message
> > > I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is
it
> > > possible ???
> > >
> > > What about Java Proxy project in PB 6.5-7, what was this ??
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

0
Roy
7/7/2002 6:27:55 PM
I'm using PB components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS, I'd like access to my
PB components from a Java Class, Roy do you think that it will be
implemented in near future ??

Mirko
7/8/2002 6:31:19 AM
I doubt it. With PBNI debut in PB9, the task would be easier, although it
would still require you to write JNI code.

--

"Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> I'm using PB components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS, I'd like access to
my
> PB components from a Java Class, Roy do you think that it will be
> implemented in near future ??
>
> Thanks

0
Roy
7/8/2002 1:58:07 PM
Thank you .. what is a JNO DLL ??
"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha scritto
nel messaggio news:qy2ZckoJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com...
> I doubt it. With PBNI debut in PB9, the task would be easier, although it
> would still require you to write JNI code.
>
> --
> <hopethishelps/>
> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
>
> "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> > I'm using PB components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS, I'd like access
> my
> > PB components from a Java Class, Roy do you think that it will be
> > implemented in near future ??
> >
> > Thanks

0
Mirko
7/8/2002 2:29:07 PM
JNI stands for Java Native Interface. It's a collection of C/C++ classes and
interfaces that allow Java classes to invoke machine-dependant code, as well
as allow native applications to embedd the JVM and thus instantiate Java
classes and invoke their methods. In your scenario, you'll write a Java
class that uses a JNI DLL which in turn will invoke your PB code via the
PBVM through the PBNI interface.

You can read more about it in
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jni/ and
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jni/.

I am confused, though -- in your first post of this thread, you stated the
following:

"I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is it
possible ???"

Then, in your 3rd post in this thread you state that "I'm using PB
components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS".

If you _are_ indeed using EAServer, then using PB component from a Java
client is trivial via the Java-CORBA interface. If you are _not_ using
EAServer, then your task will be challenging, as I have specified above.

--

> Thank you .. what is a JNO DLL ??
> "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha
scritto
> nel messaggio news:qy2ZckoJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com...
> > I doubt it. With PBNI debut in PB9, the task would be easier, although
it
> > would still require you to write JNI code.
> >
> > --
> > <hopethishelps/>
> > Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> > Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
> >
> > "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> > > I'm using PB components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS, I'd like access
> > my
> > > PB components from a Java Class, Roy do you think that it will be
> > > implemented in near future ??
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
Roy
7/8/2002 2:49:35 PM
OK I know (a little bit) JNI
"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha scritto
nel messaggio news:P3u8MBpJCHA.869@forums.sybase.com...
> JNI stands for Java Native Interface. It's a collection of C/C++ classes
and
> interfaces that allow Java classes to invoke machine-dependant code, as
well
> as allow native applications to embedd the JVM and thus instantiate Java
> classes and invoke their methods. In your scenario, you'll write a Java
> class that uses a JNI DLL which in turn will invoke your PB code via the
> PBVM through the PBNI interface.
>
> You can read more about it in
> http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jni/ and
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jni/.
>
> I am confused, though -- in your first post of this thread, you stated the
> following:
>
> "I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is it
> possible ???"
>
> Then, in your 3rd post in this thread you state that "I'm using PB
> components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS".
>
> If you _are_ indeed using EAServer, then using PB component from a Java
> client is trivial via the Java-CORBA interface. If you are _not_ using
> EAServer, then your task will be challenging, as I have specified above.
>
> --
> <hopethishelps/>
> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
>
> "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> > Thank you .. what is a JNO DLL ??
> > "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha
> scritto
> > nel messaggio news:qy2ZckoJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com...
> > > I doubt it. With PBNI debut in PB9, the task would be easier, although
> it
> > > would still require you to write JNI code.
> > >
> > > --
> > > <hopethishelps/>
> > > Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> > > Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
> > >
> > > "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> > > my

0
Mirko
7/8/2002 2:57:05 PM
Good, now you have to wait until PB9 comes out and learn more about PBNI....

.... or you can use EASErver :-)

--

> OK I know (a little bit) JNI
> "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha
scritto
> nel messaggio news:P3u8MBpJCHA.869@forums.sybase.com...
> > JNI stands for Java Native Interface. It's a collection of C/C++ classes
> and
> > interfaces that allow Java classes to invoke machine-dependant code, as
> well
> > as allow native applications to embedd the JVM and thus instantiate Java
> > classes and invoke their methods. In your scenario, you'll write a Java
> > class that uses a JNI DLL which in turn will invoke your PB code via the
> > PBVM through the PBNI interface.
> >
> > You can read more about it in
> > http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jni/ and
> > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jni/.
> >
> > I am confused, though -- in your first post of this thread, you stated
the
> > following:
> >
> > "I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is it
> > possible ???"
> >
> > Then, in your 3rd post in this thread you state that "I'm using PB
> > components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS".
> >
> > If you _are_ indeed using EAServer, then using PB component from a Java
> > client is trivial via the Java-CORBA interface. If you are _not_ using
> > EAServer, then your task will be challenging, as I have specified above.
> >
> > --
> > <hopethishelps/>
> > Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> > Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
> >
> > "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> > > Thank you .. what is a JNO DLL ??
> > > "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha
> > scritto
> > > nel messaggio news:qy2ZckoJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com...
> > it

> access

0
Roy
7/8/2002 3:00:31 PM
The problem is that EAServer costs !! and I need a free implementation,
IIS-ASP is good .. but I likne something in JAva

"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha scritto
nel messaggio news:CDV#THpJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com...
> Good, now you have to wait until PB9 comes out and learn more about
PBNI....

> ... or you can use EASErver :-)
>
> --
> <hopethishelps/>
> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
>
> "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> > OK I know (a little bit) JNI
> > "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha
> scritto
> > nel messaggio news:P3u8MBpJCHA.869@forums.sybase.com...
> > > JNI stands for Java Native Interface. It's a collection of C/C++
classes
> > and
> > > interfaces that allow Java classes to invoke machine-dependant code,
as
> > well
> > > as allow native applications to embedd the JVM and thus instantiate
Java
> > > classes and invoke their methods. In your scenario, you'll write a
Java
> > > class that uses a JNI DLL which in turn will invoke your PB code via
the
> > > PBVM through the PBNI interface.
> > >
> > > You can read more about it in
> > > http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jni/ and
> > > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jni/.
> > >
> > > I am confused, though -- in your first post of this thread, you stated
> the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > "I'd like to use my PB object from Apache/Tomcat without EAServer ,is
it
> > > possible ???"
> > >
> > > Then, in your 3rd post in this thread you state that "I'm using PB
> > > components in ASP (COM-OLE) and with EAS".
> > >
> > > If you _are_ indeed using EAServer, then using PB component from a
Java
> > > client is trivial via the Java-CORBA interface. If you are _not_ using
> > > EAServer, then your task will be challenging, as I have specified
above.

> > > --
> > > <hopethishelps/>
> > > Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
> > > Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
> > >
> > > "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
> > > scritto
> although
> > > it

> message
> > access

0
Mirko
7/8/2002 3:19:33 PM
PMJI, but IIS is pretty far from free. It may appear to be free
because it "comes with" NT, but that's just a development license
(same as the EAS you can download from Sybase). To run IIS in
production, you need to buy a deployment license, and in my region
last time I looked (which was a couple of years ago), IIS was more
expensive than EAS for our implementation.

Be careful of the "free" solutions!

Good luck,

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:19:33 +0200, "Mirko Di Tommaso"
<mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote:

>The problem is that EAServer costs !! and I need a free implementation,
>IIS-ASP is good .. but I likne something in JAva
>

>"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha scritto
>nel messaggio news:CDV#THpJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com...
>> Good, now you have to wait until PB9 comes out and learn more about
>PBNI....
>>
>> ... or you can use EASErver :-)
>>
>> --
>> <hopethishelps/>
>> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
>> Sybase Developer Network -- http://sdn.sybase.com
>>
>> "Mirko Di Tommaso" <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote in message
>> > OK I know (a little bit) JNI
>> > "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> ha
>> scritto
>> > nel messaggio news:P3u8MBpJCHA.869@forums.sybase.com...
>classes
>> > and
>as
>> > well
>Java
>Java
>the

>> the

>it

>Java
>above.

>> although

>> message
>> > access
>be

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
7/8/2002 3:29:30 PM
I know that IIS is not "real" free, but my Boss dont think so
;)

0
Mirko