Is it possible to import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object?

DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB  import data from excel
worksheet to a datawindow object? If can, how to import?

Thanks a lot!

0
Taoge

users can do a save as to a tab delimited txt file in excel.

use then dw_1.Importfile to import the data in a datawindow
object.  Look up the importfile (datawindows) function in
the help file.

HTH
John

> DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB
> import data from excel  worksheet to a datawindow object?
> If can, how to import?
>
> Thanks a lot!

0
John
3/15/2006 3:14:05 PM
If you are looking for an automated way to do this and the excel spreadsheet
is consistently the same size, then use ole.

I use ole to connect to excel, select a range of rows/columns and then copy
to the clipboard.

After copying to the clipboard, use import from clipboard dw method to
basically "paste" the rows into your datawindow.

It works pretty slick as long as the data is consistent and the size of the
spreadsheet is consistent - or have your users input the size of the capture
and translate that into the document range selection in excel for more
flexibility.

Tony

<John> wrote in message news:44181f6d.7690.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> users can do a save as to a tab delimited txt file in excel.
>
> use then dw_1.Importfile to import the data in a datawindow
> object.  Look up the importfile (datawindows) function in
> the help file.
>
> HTH
> John
>
>> DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB
>> import data from excel  worksheet to a datawindow object?
>> If can, how to import?
>>
>> Thanks a lot!

0
Tony
3/15/2006 3:56:33 PM
And one last option: You should actually have an ODBC driver for Excel
worksheets. Create a named range in Excel and that becomes the table
name in PowerBuilder.

Tony Stai wrote:
> If you are looking for an automated way to do this and the excel spreadsheet
> is consistently the same size, then use ole.
>
> I use ole to connect to excel, select a range of rows/columns and then copy
> to the clipboard.
>
> After copying to the clipboard, use import from clipboard dw method to
> basically "paste" the rows into your datawindow.
>
> It works pretty slick as long as the data is consistent and the size of the
> spreadsheet is consistent - or have your users input the size of the capture
> and translate that into the document range selection in excel for more
> flexibility.
>
> Tony
>
> <John> wrote in message news:44181f6d.7690.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> users can do a save as to a tab delimited txt file in excel.
>>
>> use then dw_1.Importfile to import the data in a datawindow
>> object.  Look up the importfile (datawindows) function in
>> the help file.
>>
>> HTH
>> John
>>
>>> DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB
>>> import data from excel  worksheet to a datawindow object?
>>> If can, how to import?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
0
Jason

Import Data From Excel to Datawindow
Hi there I'm using Powerbuilder Ver. 9 I want to import data from excel sheet to datawindow at run time by creating the datawindow depending on excel cells for the column name and data type Could any one help me how can i do it thanks alot With my best regards Ahmad Alhowaimel You can create an ODBC profile that uses your Excel spreadsheet as the "database". Once that is created, PowerBuilder sees it as just another database connection, and you can create datawindows using that datasource. Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <Ahmad Alhowaimel> wrote in message ...

importing excel data into a datawindow
I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow. The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am using PB 5. Gerald PB looks for tabs and CRs. It shouldn't care about wrapping, which is just a visual feature of an editor anyway. On wr...

Does anyone use OLE container in Datawindow as OLE (Excel Chart/Worksheet/Microsoft Graph) presentation style or OLE object in Datawindow? Please Help.
Blank Hello folks, How can I use an OLE container in Datawindows? The situation as follows: I have a datawindow with OLE (Excel Chart/Worksheet/Microsoft Graph) presentation style or grid datawindow with OLE object (Excel Chart/Worksheet/Microsoft Graph) in detail band. I have the next result set of datawindow (SQL select/ SP / External) fields: anytext, anynumeric values: first, 1 first, 2 first, 3 second, 1 second, 2 second, 3 I mapped OLE data as follows Group by: anytext Target Data: anytext ...

[...]

How can I import data to PowerBuilder from excell
I have an excell file with data and I wand to choose some column of then but not all to import them in the Powerbuilder (datawindow) How can I manage this? Thanks in Advance Nick Define a named range in Excel that contains your data. You can then create an ODBC connection to Excel. This named range becomes the table name and your columns are your... um... columns. You can then build a pipeline or datawindow against this data. On 2 Jan 2006 02:02:30 -0800, in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general NickDim <nickdim@globo.gr> wrote: >I have an excell file with da...

importing excel file data to a datawindow
I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow. The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am using PB 5. Gerald Whenever I need to pull data from an Excel file I just use OLE to fire up Excel, copy the data to the clipboard, and the...

Import data into a DataWindow from an Excel file.
Hi, I need to import data into a DataWindow (PB 8) from an Excel file. The data is in tabular format with the first row as column names. I would prefer not to use the Excel file as a database but to use an order like ImportFile. The user has to choose the file and then it has to be read into the DataWindow. Thank you in advance. Mart=edn. Hi Martin, If you name the area in Excel, you'll be able to access it via ODBC, Otherwise you can connect through OLE....and then access data directly, or export it to something you can import to DW. Regards Martin gid pisze: > H...

datawindow.object.datawindow.objects ?
Hi? I used this syntax in PB9, how to use in datawindow.net with C#? string ls_objects ls_objects = string(datawindow.object.datawindow.objects) I hope to get a list of the controls in the datawindow objects. TIA ..Describe("DataWindow.Objects") On 5 Jan 2006 23:30:30 -0800, "Robert" <jooong@empal.com> wrote: >Hi? > >I used this syntax in PB9, how to use in datawindow.net with C#? > >string ls_objects >ls_objects = string(datawindow.object.datawindow.objects) > >I hope to get a list of the controls in the dataw...

Exporting data to Excel and protecting Excel worksheet
Hi All, In my application I have to export some data to excel and after exporting I have to protect specific range in excel worksheet from editing. I can export data without any problems but for some reason excelWorksheet.Protect () method is not working. Here is my code: Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass(); string workbookPath = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ExcelPath"] + @"\MyFile.xls"; Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook excelWorkbook = excelApp.Workbooks.Open(workbookPath, 0, false, 5, "", "", false, Micr...

import data from ms excel and store data in ms-sqlserver 2000
I would like to know if it is possible to import data from MS Excel 2000 to a dataset using asp.net. The excel file would need to be uploaded to the server from a web page first, before the loaded into a dataset. After the data is stored in the dataset, i would need to write the information to an  ms-sql server DB. If it is possible to do this, where can I find help on how to import excel data to a dataset? Thanks!Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com Hi, To import data with the ASP.NET application, you can ...

Import data from excel sheet data to Sql Server 2008 database
 Hello,  I am doing an project in which i am going to get the data from the excel sheet and insert it into My SQL Server 2005 database.How can i do it,can any one help me out to get me out of this problem with an example. You could use SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) to do this.  If you need to repeat the process remember that you can host an SSIS package as a SQL Agent job and run it repeatedly, and you can kick off the job from code. A walkthrough of this is here: http://www.builderau.com.au/program/sqlserver/soa/How-to-import-an-Excel-file-into-SQL-Server-2005-us...

Import Data from Excel
Is there a way to import data from an Excel spreadsheet to a sybase db?? tks much Chris Knight callus@erols.com Hi Hunter, Basically ... Create a flat ascii file from excel then load it with bcp tool Patrick Piquet ...

Web resources about - Is it possible to import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo