Import Data From Excel to Datawindow

Hi there
I'm using Powerbuilder Ver. 9
I want to import data from excel sheet to datawindow at run
time by creating the datawindow depending on excel cells for
the column name and data type
Could any one help me how can i do it

thanks alot

With my best regards
Ahmad Alhowaimel
0
Ahmad

You can create an ODBC profile that uses your Excel spreadsheet as the
"database".  Once that is created, PowerBuilder sees it as just another
database connection, and you can create datawindows using that datasource.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

<Ahmad Alhowaimel> wrote in message
> Hi there
> I'm using Powerbuilder Ver. 9
> I want to import data from excel sheet to datawindow at run
> time by creating the datawindow depending on excel cells for
> the column name and data type
> Could any one help me how can i do it
>
> thanks alot
>
> With my best regards
> Ahmad Alhowaimel

0
Paul
7/7/2008 6:17:05 PM
I have not done it recently but ...

In addition to Paul's suggestions.
You should name an area in Excel (this is becoming your table_name),
first row is column names.

Good luck

On 7 Jul 2008 11:04:10 -0700,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
 <Ahmad Alhowaimel> wrote:
>Hi there
>I'm using Powerbuilder Ver. 9
>I want to import data from excel sheet to datawindow at run
>time by creating the datawindow depending on excel cells for
>the column name and data type
>Could any one help me how can i do it
>
>thanks alot
>
>With my best regards
>Ahmad Alhowaimel
0
fisher

importing excel data into a datawindow
I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow. The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am using PB 5. Gerald PB looks for tabs and CRs. It shouldn't care about wrapping, which is just a visual feature of an editor anyway. On wr...

Import data into a DataWindow from an Excel file.
Hi, I need to import data into a DataWindow (PB 8) from an Excel file. The data is in tabular format with the first row as column names. I would prefer not to use the Excel file as a database but to use an order like ImportFile. The user has to choose the file and then it has to be read into the DataWindow. Thank you in advance. Mart=edn. Hi Martin, If you name the area in Excel, you'll be able to access it via ODBC, Otherwise you can connect through OLE....and then access data directly, or export it to something you can import to DW. Regards Martin gid pisze: > H...

importing excel file data to a datawindow
I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow. The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am using PB 5. Gerald Whenever I need to pull data from an Excel file I just use OLE to fire up Excel, copy the data to the clipboard, and the...

How can I import data to PowerBuilder from excell
I have an excell file with data and I wand to choose some column of then but not all to import them in the Powerbuilder (datawindow) How can I manage this? Thanks in Advance Nick Define a named range in Excel that contains your data. You can then create an ODBC connection to Excel. This named range becomes the table name and your columns are your... um... columns. You can then build a pipeline or datawindow against this data. On 2 Jan 2006 02:02:30 -0800, in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general NickDim <nickdim@globo.gr> wrote: >I have an excell file with da...

Is it possible to import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object?
DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object? If can, how to import? Thanks a lot! Hi, users can do a save as to a tab delimited txt file in excel. use then dw_1.Importfile to import the data in a datawindow object. Look up the importfile (datawindows) function in the help file. HTH John > DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB > import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object? > If can, how to import? > > Thanks a lot! > > If you are looking for an aut...

Import data from excel sheet data to Sql Server 2008 database
 Hello,  I am doing an project in which i am going to get the data from the excel sheet and insert it into My SQL Server 2005 database.How can i do it,can any one help me out to get me out of this problem with an example. You could use SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) to do this.  If you need to repeat the process remember that you can host an SSIS package as a SQL Agent job and run it repeatedly, and you can kick off the job from code. A walkthrough of this is here: http://www.builderau.com.au/program/sqlserver/soa/How-to-import-an-Excel-file-into-SQL-Server-2005-us...

import data from ms excel and store data in ms-sqlserver 2000
I would like to know if it is possible to import data from MS Excel 2000 to a dataset using asp.net. The excel file would need to be uploaded to the server from a web page first, before the loaded into a dataset. After the data is stored in the dataset, i would need to write the information to an  ms-sql server DB. If it is possible to do this, where can I find help on how to import excel data to a dataset? Thanks!Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com Hi, To import data with the ASP.NET application, you can ...

Importing Excel Data
Hello! I'm not sure exactly where I should be posting this question, but it does involve using ASP.net, VB.net, Excel, and SQL Server. I've created a webform that allows a user to upload an excel spreadsheet, takes data from it (and stored in a DataSet object), and saves the information into a SQL database.  All the data in the spreadsheet are numerical values, however, when I try to read from it, the larger numbers are differentiated from the smaller numbers.  For example, in the set: 330 130 10 190 25000 2500 when I try to  "S...

Import Data from Excel
Hi! Can I import data from a excel spreadsheet into a datastore/datawindow? Thanks Ragni Use the Excel ODBC driver. Define a named range on the spreadsheet, with the first row containing the column headers (in UPPERCASE). Or you can use OLE. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Ragni Panjala wrote in message <377A741C.2C287CA4@nsf.gov>... >Hi! >Can I import data from a excel spreadsheet into a datastore/datawindow? >Thanks >Ragni Hi! Can you be more specific ? Pleeeease? the excel file with data and headers already exists (infact, t...

Import Excel Data
How can I import Excel Data from an Excel 97 Worksheet or Workbook, without modify the Excel worksheet to read. I have several Excel file with just 1 worksheet per file and data (tariff in tables) to impport in each file. I want too that the user can choose the name of the file to import. thanks for help ___________________________ Eric Delesse Analyste-Programmeur INGEDUS 12, Rue d'Annecy 57070 METZ e-mail : ingedus@easynet.Fr delessee@mygale.org ___________________________ begin 666 Eric Delesse.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"DXZ1&5L97-S93M%...

Importing data from Excel
What is the best way of importing data from Excel to Powerbuilder datawindow. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Save the Excel file as text tab-deliminted and the use the ImportFile() function on the datawindow. > What is the best way of importing data from Excel to > Powerbuilder datawindow. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web > Newsreader ==--- > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Two additional ways to do this, in addition to using ImportFile.... 1. Import via a direct ODBC transacti...

Import data to excel
The problem i am facing nw is i have an application whereby each page will load one hundred records based on custom paging.I have a hypertext link that will allow the results to be displayed on an excel page if user clicked on that.The problem i am facing is that it will only display the first page records on the excel page regardless of what page number i click.How do i solve that?My application is similar to the custom paging application found on the msdn site. To export to excel, you must recollect the data, and export the datasource (datatable, dataset, ...) to an excel sheet.Tim *IceM...

How to import excel to datawindow?
You can export delimited-text from Excel and import it into the dw using importString(). You can also use the ODBC Excel driver to bring the rows into a datawindow, and use RowsCopy() to import into another datawindow. Finally, you can use a pipeline, but that implies copying the data to another db. -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] Power3, LLC http://www.power3.com Useful links: NEW PB9 Book Information: http://www.pb9book.com My Sybase: http://my.sybase.com SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer Google search: groups.google.com <adodo> wrote in message ...