Global variables & global functions...

Hi,

Is there any problem of using global variables & global functions in PB
applications? (Other than maintenance of the app, of course.)

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, Is there any performance improvement
at execution time by creating & using an userobject with instance variables
& object functions rather than using global variables & global functions?

Any of your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeinutheen.

0
Jeinutheen

No. There is no "noticable" difference calling a global function vs. calling an
object function. Even verifying the object (isValid) before calling the function
is not noticably slower.

regards,
Bill

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Vote Now: Readers Choice Awards

Good Links to know, good places to go:

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com - Sign up, visit often
Find things like:
-- EAServer 3.6.1 maintenance release is available
-- PowerBuilder 7.03 maintenance release available
-- Components, White papers, articles and more
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com

Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill

Global Variable not global?
PB 8 Evaluation (build 7039). I have a global variable that is set in a response window. The response window is closed, I call a child mdi window through a menu and the value of the global variable 0 (not what I set it to). Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Have you ensured another variable with the same name has not been declared elsewhere ? If so, the variable in the local scope was probably set with your value. That's the main reason I can think of why you may not see your updated value. Sanjiv. "Anthony" <anthony@forumsonly.com> wrote i...

Declaring Global Variables and Global External Function By PowerScript
Does anyone can tell me, can I declare the global external function / global Variables by PowerScript ( such as, within the application's open event ), not in 'declare painter' ??? Thanks Samkola No. They need to be declared within the Global Variables painter. Ron Gallagher, CPDP Atlanta, GA rongallagher@mindspring.com samkola wrote in message <01beee19$8715d2a0$2d01a8c0@testing>... >Does anyone can tell me, can I declare the global external function / >global Variables by PowerScript ( such as, within the application's open >event ), not i...

Global functions vs global userobject functions
Working with PB 7, I often ask myself what is the good way. My applications has one global instance of a userobject u_function and use also global functions. In some case, the choice of where to put a new function is evident. When I could need the function in dw expression, there are global, when I need to call functions with different parameters, they are userobject functions. But, the other functions ? Where is the best place for them ? Global or in the userobject ? I thnik u can go for Global functions Since u have in need in DW expression also. I think Overload wi...

global variable in global.asax
Hi!! Can any one point out the syntax and positioning of declaring a global variable within the global.asax file and the syntax for using within the c# code. Thanx!!...

local variable & global variable
Hello, please see below: script example> var myAge=20; var myName="Ann"; function MyInfo() { var yourAge = myAge + 13; var yourName = "John"; return yourAge; } : : Question : Where are global variable "myAge" and "myName" stored? And Where are local variable "yourAge" and "yourName" stored? They are stored in context area? ...

Global variables / functions
Hi, I'm writing a Web Apllication with ASP.NET 2.0 (Visual Studio 2005- VB.NET). I need to have some "global" Functions and Procedures (Function/Sub) visible in all project (such as Global.aspx or Class_Global.vb).  How can I obtain it ? Is there a way to create a "global" module/class for all the projacts ,  so that I can use them everywhere ? Thanks Mila You can create a class with public, shared members. You'll be able to access the shared member from anywhere using ClassName.FunctionName().Scotthttp://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/...

Global destruction (was Re: [ID 20000829.033] global destruction && panic: magic_killbackrefs)
Hugo <hv@crypt.compulink.co.uk> wrote > Jarkko, I'd like to recommend this patch for 5.7.0, at least until > we fix the 'bug called global destruction'. Seeing this has triggered some half baked thoughts on this subject. What exactly is the 'bug called global destruction' ? It's actually two different things of radically different significance. Firstly, it is that the way the routines currently operate can lead to inconsistent Perl data structures, with pointers to things which have actually been freed. This can potentially lead to SEGVs ...

Difference between global & instance of global varible?
Hi , What is the diffrence when we have global varianle & instance of global varible ? Which occupies more space in memory? Global gb_continue gnv_app Instance gnv_app.ib_continue Any inside on this one please Thnaks in advance. Dnyanesh M It should use the same amount of memory. The only difference is the scope in which the variable is visible. /ck "Dnyanesh" <dnyaneshm@visionstarllc.com> wrote in message news:OxhCxnLJDHA.280@forums-1-dub... > Hi , > > What is the diffrence when we have global varianle > & inst...

Global.asax
Hi Using Visual Studio 2005, C# style, with codebehind on most pages. I have a setting system where all langauge is grabbed from the database during application_start into cache, and it is working nice. I´m using the database because all text shall be translateable by end users through a userfriendly tool. I want a global GetText() function that can be accessed anywhere in my web-project. I do not think you need to understand it to answer my question, but I´ll post it anyway furher down this post. Since GetText(); will be used a lot on all pages, everywhere there is text, I do not w...

Questions about global variables in Global.asax.cs
When creating global variables in the Global.asax.cs file for my application so that every other webform page can access them, when should I choose to 1) use the Application object as supposed to just 2) creating public properties for the Global class?For example:1) Declaration & Initialization (Global.asax.cs):   Application["File Name"] = "myFile.txt";                                   &nb...

PowerBuilder... global function caller
Hi, Is it possible to check within a function what object/even/function called it? -- Thanks & regards Damian Well, the hack method I used to use was to do a PopulateError and then read the values off the error object (without actually signalling the error). On 21 Jun 2006 14:58:09 -0700, "DeeDee" <deedee@unknown.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is it possible to check within a function what object/even/function called >it? add an argument of type PowerObject and call the function with This of_myFunc(PowerObject apo_caller) <in...

Debugger & Global Functions
Hi all, Does anyone have any neat way of stopping the PB debugger jumping into and getting stuck in global functions called from datawindow expressions? I am down to my last few strands of hair. Many thanks, Paul. Paul, This has been a real pain for us too. I wish I had a better answer, but the only thing we found was NOT to use the single Step function, followed by the Continue button. That combination seems to get caught up in the global functions everytime. Instead, use stops liberally, and ONLY use the Continue button. Another workaround is to have copies of the d...

Global session variables and functions
I am working on an application that needs to have several global variables.  Each page is set up so only admin level users can see the "Admin" tab at the top of eavery page.  Right now I have functions and variables in a global.asax file.  Admin status is determined in the Session_Start function.  Everything works fine when only one person is using the application.  However, if a second person opens the page, all session variables are overwritten.  For instance, if a non-admin is on the page, he or she could be looking at the report pages.  Then, ...

Can I create global session and app variables in Global.asax
Just wondering how I can use the Global.asax file. I wondered if I could put all my session and app variables in one place and would this be the way to do it. Code sample appreciated. There are some details on working with the Global class in this article, as well as some additional links and resources. Scotthttp://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/...

Web resources about - Global variables & global functions... - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Cisco Debuts Open Pay Variable Pricing, Updates CCRE
Cisco Debuts Open Pay Variable Pricing, Updates CCRE Channel Partners Kris Snow, president of Cisco Capital, says the company's new Open Pay ...