Distributed PB in PB 9

Hi,

Is there any alternative to get functionality of  'Transport' object in
PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards).

Thanks in advance.

Kiran Walekar

0
KiranW

You can use EAServer or wait until the PowerBuilder Application Server
plug-in is released in Q3 2006.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

On 19 May 2006 05:07:44 -0700, "KiranW" <kiran@femcareindia.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any alternative to get functionality of  'Transport' object in
>PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards).
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kiran Walekar

0
dfish
5/19/2006 1:29:58 PM
AFAIK, the Transport object was used exclusively for DPB support. Are you
looking for an alternative to DPB, or something else?

Let us know,

On 19 May 2006 05:07:44 -0700,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
KiranW <kiran@femcareindia.com> wrote:

>Is there any alternative to get functionality of  'Transport' object in
>PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards).
*********************************
PowerBuilder for $75? No.
Personal use PowerBuilder Enterprise *AND* PocketBuilder *AND* DataWindow.NET
*AND* Sybase IQ as free benefits of a $75 ISUG membership. See
http://www.isug.com/ISUG3/Membership_benefits.html for details.
Prices may change soon. Sign up now!

*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************
User Manual
===========
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated Apr 24/2006
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
5/19/2006 1:32:37 PM
Yes, I am looking for alternative to DPB.  I was come across the DPB theme
and liked the concept. (Cause, It is free from ASP, .Net , .Net DataWindow,
EAS/Jaguar, PB11 and so many things!)

Can you please help me out /suggest platform to develop small and simple
distributed/Web application using PB9. I just want to develop application
which will be able to.. a) Validate login b) Retrieve data from
access/oracle database resides on remote server.  c) Change/Record received
quantity against each row d) Update the changed data back to remote server
database.

I know that, I am talking abt 'outdated' technology, but it will solve my
purpose.

Any help/suggestions/Guideline in this regard in appreciated.

Warm Regards
Kiran

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> AFAIK, the Transport object was used exclusively for DPB support. Are you
> looking for an alternative to DPB, or something else?
>
> Let us know,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 19 May 2006 05:07:44 -0700,
> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
> KiranW <kiran@femcareindia.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there any alternative to get functionality of  'Transport' object in
>>PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards).
> *********************************
> PowerBuilder for $75? No.
> Personal use PowerBuilder Enterprise *AND* PocketBuilder *AND*
> DataWindow.NET
> *AND* Sybase IQ as free benefits of a $75 ISUG membership. See
> http://www.isug.com/ISUG3/Membership_benefits.html for details.
> Prices may change soon. Sign up now!
>
> *********************************
> Click once a day to help the hungry
> http://www.thehungersite.com
> *********************************
> User Manual
> ===========
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 3.0.02 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated Apr 24/2006
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
KiranW
5/21/2006 8:05:32 AM
"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" wrote
> You can use EAServer or wait until the PowerBuilder Application Server
> plug-in is released in Q3 2006.

And pay for both :(

 I want my, I want my, I want my MTV (DPB) ... BACK!

"KiranW" <kiran@femcareindia.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there any alternative to get functionality of  'Transport' object in
> PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kiran Walekar

0
Chris
5/23/2006 12:02:46 PM
As you would have needed to do with Distributed PB -- it was not a
freely deployable option. A card insert in PB7 (AFAIK) clarified that
licensing issue.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

Chris
5/23/2006 1:12:42 PM
It's kind of hard to know what to suggest, since you want it "free"
from all your alternatives! <g> Seriously, it's hard to tell what your
criteria is other than you want to avoid a lot of things.

If you want a server, you're going to have to pay for a server. Right
now, you alternatives are Sybase or MS. Soon, you'll be able to use
other servers (via PowerBuilder Application Server Plug-in,
http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/PowerBuilder_and_Java_J2EE/powerbuilder_and_java_j2ee.html),
however my expectation is that we'll have to pay for the Plug-in.

Good luck,

On 21 May 2006 01:05:32 -0700, "KiranW" <kiran@femcareindia.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I am looking for alternative to DPB.  I was come across the DPB theme
>and liked the concept. (Cause, It is free from ASP, .Net , .Net DataWindow,
>EAS/Jaguar, PB11 and so many things!)
>
>Can you please help me out /suggest platform to develop small and simple
>distributed/Web application using PB9. I just want to develop application
>which will be able to.. a) Validate login b) Retrieve data from
>access/oracle database resides on remote server.  c) Change/Record received
>quantity against each row d) Update the changed data back to remote server
>database.
>
>I know that, I am talking abt 'outdated' technology, but it will solve my
>purpose.
>
>Any help/suggestions/Guideline in this regard in appreciated.
>
>Warm Regards
>Kiran
>
>"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>> AFAIK, the Transport object was used exclusively for DPB support. Are you
>> looking for an alternative to DPB, or something else?
>>
>> Let us know,
>>
>> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>
>> On 19 May 2006 05:07:44 -0700,
>> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
>> KiranW <kiran@femcareindia.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any alternative to get functionality of  'Transport' object in
>>>PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards).
*********************************
PowerBuilder for $75? No.
Personal use PowerBuilder Enterprise *AND* PocketBuilder *AND* DataWindow.NET
*AND* Sybase IQ as free benefits of a $75 ISUG membership. See
http://www.isug.com/ISUG3/Membership_benefits.html for details.
Prices may change soon. Sign up now!

*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************
User Manual
===========
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated Apr 24/2006
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
5/23/2006 8:07:54 PM
A lot depends on your app and how small and simple it really is. I have used
Web services as an RPC mechanism using the Soap Proxy in PB9. This connected
to an ASP.NET web service running in IIS and one hosted as a service using
..NET 2. All of it royalty free (but you do need VS2003/5).

I actually use Microsoft Web Service Enhancements stuff (WSE 2.0) from PB9
for PRC but this requires an itermediate C++ DLL to connect from PB to WSE.
When PB11 (or is it 12, I can never remember) comes round to using .NET
assemblies directly then a whole world of RPC opens up because .NET 2 has 3
different kinds available to it. Even so your server end will not be PB
(though I use PBNI, and you could use DataWindow.NET in a mixed up server)
so you need to be a multi language person to hang it all together (but it is
free assuming you have VS...).
..

> Yes, I am looking for alternative to DPB.  I was come across the DPB theme
> and liked the concept. (Cause, It is free from ASP, .Net , .Net
> DataWindow, EAS/Jaguar, PB11 and so many things!)
>
> Can you please help me out /suggest platform to develop small and simple
> distributed/Web application using PB9. I just want to develop application
> which will be able to.. a) Validate login b) Retrieve data from
> access/oracle database resides on remote server.  c) Change/Record
> received quantity against each row d) Update the changed data back to
> remote server database.
>
> I know that, I am talking abt 'outdated' technology, but it will solve my
> purpose.
>
> Any help/suggestions/Guideline in this regard in appreciated.
>
> Warm Regards
> Kiran
>
> "Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>> AFAIK, the Transport object was used exclusively for DPB support. Are you
>> looking for an alternative to DPB, or something else?
>>
>> Let us know,
>>
>> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>
>> On 19 May 2006 05:07:44 -0700,
>> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
>> KiranW <kiran@femcareindia.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any alternative to get functionality of  'Transport' object in
>>>PB9?. (I know that Sybase has removed this from PB8 onwards).
>> *********************************
>> PowerBuilder for $75? No.
>> Personal use PowerBuilder Enterprise *AND* PocketBuilder *AND*
>> DataWindow.NET
>> *AND* Sybase IQ as free benefits of a $75 ISUG membership. See
>> http://www.isug.com/ISUG3/Membership_benefits.html for details.
>> Prices may change soon. Sign up now!
>>
>> *********************************
>> Click once a day to help the hungry
>> http://www.thehungersite.com
>> *********************************
>> User Manual
>> ===========
>> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
>> Forums = Peer-to-peer
>> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
>> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
>> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
>> *********************************
>>
>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
>> Version 3.0.02 now available at the Sandbox
>> PB Futures updated Apr 24/2006
>> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
>> ^ ^
>> o o
>> =*=

0
Clive

PB 9 or PB 9.01
We have an old PB 6.5 app that we want to (finally) migrate to PB 9. Should we go to PB 9.00 or PB 9.01 (which seems to generate a fair number of GPFs from some of the posts we've seen).' Which of the 2 versions of PB 9 are more stable in your opinion? We don't need the new features that much, for us stability is the #1 issue. Frankly speaking, we'd keep it on 6.5 if we could, but that old IDE is so unusable by today's standards that we finally decided to make the jump to version 9. thanks in advance, John Hey John, Stability really depends on your...

Powerbuilder Upgrade Issues (PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1)
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

PB 9.03 vs PB 9.02
What is better to use for already existing large client-server PB app? In terms of stability, number of unfixed serious bugs, extra features... TIA We encountered lockup problems on some reports for our application with 9.0.3. I did lots of testing but couldn't pin down the cause, and the users were getting frustrated. After a while I rolled back to 9.0.2 with EBF 7610, and this seems to be very stable. Of course, the usual disclaimers apply: your mileage may vary, etc. Pat "Andrew" <gurzuf_no_junk_@rogers.com> wrote in message news:4314fe5e@fo...

PB 8 or PB 9??
We are currently at PB 7 and are wanting to migrate to either the latest release of PB 8 or to PB 9 sometime 3rd quarter 2003. A few questions: 1. Is PB 9 out for General Availability yet? I'm finding conflicting information. 2. What is the latest release of PB 8 and is it stable? Any major problems/issues with it? We're just using PB for maintaining existing PB client/server apps. 3. Can PB be used on Windows XP or Windows 2003? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! Peggy Klinger FirstEnergy Corp. Akron, OH USA 1. Yes PB 9 is GA. 2. Not s...

PB 8 to PB 9
Hi, We have both PB 8 and PB 9. Our program is written by PB 8, is it possible to convert it to PB 9. If yes, are there anythings which exists in PB 8 but is obsoleted in PB 9? Also, I would like to perform Spell checking function in PB 8, are there any function I can use? Thanks Lai Open a copy of it in PB9 and it will migrate it for you. There's nothing important I can remember that got depreceated in PB9. There is no build in spell check in PB8 or PB9. However there are third party controls, and you can always use OLE to talk to Word and let it do the spell ch...

PB 5 to PB 9?
Hello, I have to help a client decide whether he should migrate a PB 5 application to PB 9. The current application uses a SQL/Server 6.5 database. They want to upgrade the database to SQL/Server 2000. They wonder if they should also upgrade PB5 to PB9 at the same time. The application will not be rewritten, only the minimum would be done to make it works on PB9. What would be the benefits of migrating to PB 9? What is the recommended configuration of the workstations running deployed PB 9 applications? Also, what about PB 5 with SQL/Server 2000? Any advice appreciated. Thanks, ...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

How to Handel PB Native Source Control When Migrating from PB 8 to PB 9
Is there a special process for migrating and preserving PB Native Source Control History? We are migrating from PB 8 under PB Native Source Control to PB 9. Our plan is to setup a seperate PB 9 machine. Then, checkout all our PB 8 objects on the source machine and copy them over to the PB 9 machine for migration. Once we get a clean build on the PB 9 machine, we would check all the objects back in. Is this the correct way to do it? Thanks, Bob Olsen There should be no need to check the objects out before the migration. I would: - Create a new Local Root Folder for the P...

PB CBT6.0 Distributed PB
Having gone through the distributed powerbuilder (dpb) course, I have got stuck! I am stuck with the section on creating the Client/Server applications. I follow the exact instructions on creating the above and compile the server and run it, which works like a treat! But the client application is causing me the grief: Application Terminated error:20479 Msg:Bad runtime function reference at line 4 in itemchanged event of object dw_poducts of w_clients The strange thing is that the above also occurs when I run the SOLUTION version, so it's not me! The other strange thing is th...

PB 9 to PB 10 migration
Hi, There seem to be a number of threads on this previously, but having read them I'm still not having any success. I've taken a copy of my app, our corporate later, and the PFC 10 pbls. I then migrate the target. (I've tried with and without the "convert DBCS" option). The migration completes okay, but when I run the app, I get "Cannot assign object of type n_cst_platformunicode to object of type n_cst_platformwin32... in function f_setplatform()..." Now, this sounds similar but perhaps not entirely the same as other peoples issues. Compari...

PB 6.5 to PB 9
Is it possible to upgrade to PB 9 from PB 6.5 using the PB 9 upgrade version without migrating first to PB 7 or PB 8 ? Everytime I put the PB 9 upgrade disk in, it asks for the version 7 or 8 disks. After I installed PB 8, then PB 9, then uninstalled PB 8, I forgot to include PFC with the PB 9. Now when I want to add PFC using PB 9 disks, I get where's the PB 7 or 8 eventhought I already have PB 9 installed. Sybase, what's up this ? You can migrate from PB 6.5 directly to PB9. You can only use the upgrade CD to update from the previous 2 release. For PB9, you can upgr...

Pb 9 to Pb 11.5
I am testing the upgrade of my Pb 9 app to Pb 11.5 connecting to Sql Anywhere 11. The problem I am having is any datawindow that has a sql select with double quotes fails on the retrieve when running the app. These datawindows work fine in Pb9, but fail in Pb11.5. I have checked the pbodb files and they are identical for my database settings. When I remove the quotes from the select, the dw works fine. Anyone have any ideas? I do not want to remove quotes from all of my datawindows since there are hundreds of them. Thanks. Check the Quotes setting on the Syntax tab of your databa...

EAServer 4.2.2 with PB 9.0.1 or PB 9
I Have EAServer 4.2.2 for Sun Solaris I need to connect a components PB 9, but the PB VM only for EAServer 4.2. I install the ebf and ebf for S.O. but my Jaguar produce Core Dumped in the moment that execute serverstart.sh. My question is Can do utilize COmponents PB9 with EAServer 4.2.2? If Jaguar Core dumped on serverstart.sh, it has nothing to do with the PBVM unless perhaps you have service components that you've coded in PB and installed on the server. I think you have more fundamental problems with the install that the PBVM. On 7 Oct 2003 08:36:02 -0700, "chr...

Migrate from PB 9 to PB 8
I have some datawindows created in PB 9. I want to put them in PB 8's application. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks a lot Please post this question in the PowerBuilder.DataWindow newsgroup. This group is for DataWindow .NET questions and issues. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase DataWindow .NET Webcast December 16, 2004: www.customermining.com/Sybase/NETRegPage.html TeamSybase blogs: http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs DataWindow.NET code examples available on CodeXchange: http://datawindownet.codexchange.sybase.com On 16 Dec 2004 14:48:53 -0800, Joe wrote: >I hav...

Web resources about - Distributed PB in PB 9 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Distributed computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Distributed computing also refers to the use of distributed systems to solve computational problems. In distributed computing, a problem is divided ...

Microsoft gives Distributed Machine Learning Toolkit to the open source community
... always be its "bread and butter". Today, the Windows-maker announces that it is making yet another one of its projects open source. The Distributed ...

Guy who intentionally distributed thousands of assault weapons to criminals offers America lectures on ...
To paraphrase Rahm Emanuel, never let a tragedy go to waste. Such is the situation with Democrats, who have once again attempted to leverage ...

To a faster — and distributed — web
... and you should be amazed with the speed. But I think AMP and Instant Articles are more than that. They are a giant step toward a new, distributed ...

Ever Greater Share Of New Power From Distributed Solar
... Second quarter data from the Energy Information Administration and the Solar Energy Industries Association came out this week and distributed ...

DEA agents distributed drugs, committed egregious abuses, still kept their jobs
... The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has allowed its employees to stay on the job despite internal investigations that found they had distributed ...

Paramount Movies To Be Distributed By Toho-Towa In Japan Under New Entity
Beginning February 1 next year, Paramount titles will be released and marketed in Japan via Toho-Towa . This is part of a long-term agreement ...

Publishers’ distributed-content headaches
More platform partners is great news for publishers, but there are still some kinks to iron out.

Installed distributed energy resources capacity expected to reach 530.7GW in 2024, says Navigant
Distributed energy resources (DER) penetration is increasing globally, causing a significant, and sometimes controversial, impact on the power ...

CoreOS Brings Distributed Trusted Computing to Containers
VIDEO: Alex Polvi, CEO of CoreOS, discusses how a new Tectonic offering will enforce security from bare metal all the way up to the virtualized ...