Datawindow create error: datawindow error has incorrect release number

I have the following table:

CREATE TABLE dbo.APP_REPORTS (
    rec_id        	numeric(18,0) NOT NULL,
    dw_state      	image NULL,
    dw_structure  	image NULL,
    CONSTRAINT RAPPORTEN PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED(rec_id)
)
go

In this table I have stored reports generated from datawindows in PB9.

Now we are migrating to PB11, but I get an error retrieving/generating
the datawindows/reports from this table containing PB9 versions.

In powerbuilder I have following code (in short):

	//ids_buffer is a datastore containing the report to preview
	//datawindow creation (from dw_structure column):
	li_return = ids_buffer.create( string(iblob_dw_structure) )

	//datawindow setfullstate (from dw_state column):
	li_return = ids_buffer.setfullstate(iblob_dw_state)

On the ids_buffer.create statement we get the error "datawindow error
has incorrect release number"

I tried to use string(iblob_dw_structure,EncodingUTF8!)
But then the ids_buffer.setfullstate gives an 'Syntax error at line...'

How can we rescue our reports so we can open them in PB11? Can anyone
help me?

Thanks,
Harm Reuling
WDM Nederland
0
WDM

Hi Harm,

that's caused by the release number in the datawindows source
code. Because the datawindows are created using PB 9 the first
line reads as:

  release 9.0;

That should by

  release 11.0;

You could try to hack that replacing the 9 by 11 and look what
happens (should work)  but it is somewhat uncertain. A safer
way is to extract all the datawindows into a PB 9 library using
libraryImport() in a PB 9 application, migrating that library to
PB 11 (for instance open it with IM 11) and load the datawindows
back into the database using a PB 11 application. Keep in mind
that after the migration the reports are unusable for applications
written in PB versions lower than 11.

HTH
--
Chris Werner
f+s software gmbh

"WDM Nederland (Harm Reuling)" <h.reuling@wdm.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I have the following table:
>
> CREATE TABLE dbo.APP_REPORTS (
>    rec_id        numeric(18,0) NOT NULL,
>    dw_state      image NULL,
>    dw_structure  image NULL,
>    CONSTRAINT RAPPORTEN PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED(rec_id)
> )
> go
>
> In this table I have stored reports generated from datawindows in PB9.
>
> Now we are migrating to PB11, but I get an error retrieving/generating
> the datawindows/reports from this table containing PB9 versions.
>
> In powerbuilder I have following code (in short):
>
> //ids_buffer is a datastore containing the report to preview
> //datawindow creation (from dw_structure column):
> li_return = ids_buffer.create( string(iblob_dw_structure) )
>
> //datawindow setfullstate (from dw_state column):
> li_return = ids_buffer.setfullstate(iblob_dw_state)
>

> On the ids_buffer.create statement we get the error "datawindow error
> has incorrect release number"
>
> I tried to use string(iblob_dw_structure,EncodingUTF8!)
> But then the ids_buffer.setfullstate gives an 'Syntax error at line...'
>
> How can we rescue our reports so we can open them in PB11? Can anyone
> help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Harm Reuling
> WDM Nederland

0
Chris
4/3/2008 11:00:22 AM
But PB11 should be able to read PB9 DataWindows. In fact, after
migration all your DataWindows still read the release of the old
version until they've been saved from the DW painter. I just checked
one from my PB11 app, and it read:

release 5;

<g>

I'm not confident that Get/SetFullState was intended to persist
reports across versions. Are you trying to persist the data with the
report, or just the report structure? If you're trying to keep the
data, SaveAs (PSR) might cross the version boundaries better (I seem
to recall there was a cross-version problem at one point, but I think
that was an exception rather than a rule). If it's just the structure,
then just saving the syntax (Describe ("datawindow.syntax")) will
suffice, and be quite cross-version compatible.

Good luck,

On 3 Apr 2008 03:00:22 -0800, "Chris Werner"
<cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:

>Hi Harm,
>
>that's caused by the release number in the datawindows source
>code. Because the datawindows are created using PB 9 the first
>line reads as:
>
>  release 9.0;
>
>That should by
>
>  release 11.0;
>
>You could try to hack that replacing the 9 by 11 and look what
>happens (should work)  but it is somewhat uncertain. A safer
>way is to extract all the datawindows into a PB 9 library using
>libraryImport() in a PB 9 application, migrating that library to
>PB 11 (for instance open it with IM 11) and load the datawindows
>back into the database using a PB 11 application. Keep in mind
>that after the migration the reports are unusable for applications
>written in PB versions lower than 11.
>
>HTH

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated April 2/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
4/3/2008 12:17:57 PM
Yes, PB11 is able to read PB9 datawindows. But the problem here is
different. The structure of the datawindows is stored as a blob in the
database. So I don't have the datawindow yet. It should be created with
the ids_buffer.create statement, but this one causes the error.

Harm

Terry Voth wrote:
> But PB11 should be able to read PB9 DataWindows. In fact, after
> migration all your DataWindows still read the release of the old
> version until they've been saved from the DW painter. I just checked
> one from my PB11 app, and it read:
>
> release 5;
>
> <g>
>
> I'm not confident that Get/SetFullState was intended to persist
> reports across versions. Are you trying to persist the data with the
> report, or just the report structure? If you're trying to keep the
> data, SaveAs (PSR) might cross the version boundaries better (I seem
> to recall there was a cross-version problem at one point, but I think
> that was an exception rather than a rule). If it's just the structure,
> then just saving the syntax (Describe ("datawindow.syntax")) will
> suffice, and be quite cross-version compatible.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 3 Apr 2008 03:00:22 -0800, "Chris Werner"
> <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Harm,
>>
>> that's caused by the release number in the datawindows source
>> code. Because the datawindows are created using PB 9 the first
>> line reads as:
>>
>>  release 9.0;
>>
>> That should by
>>
>>  release 11.0;
>>
>> You could try to hack that replacing the 9 by 11 and look what
>> happens (should work)  but it is somewhat uncertain. A safer
>> way is to extract all the datawindows into a PB 9 library using
>> libraryImport() in a PB 9 application, migrating that library to
>> PB 11 (for instance open it with IM 11) and load the datawindows
>> back into the database using a PB 11 application. Keep in mind
>> that after the migration the reports are unusable for applications
>> written in PB versions lower than 11.
>>
>> HTH
>
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated April 2/2008
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=
0
WDM
4/3/2008 12:44:36 PM
> But PB11 should be able to read PB9 DataWindows. In fact, after
> migration all your DataWindows still read the release of the old
> version until they've been saved from the DW painter

Yes, that's what I've experienced until now but I wasn't sure if that
is a rule. Another possible error cause is unicode. So I'd try

  string(iblob_dw_structure,EncodingANSI!)

Of course it makes sense to debug that:

  string ls_sntx
  ls_sntx = string(iblob_dw_structure,EncodingANSI!)
  li_return = ids_buffer.create(ls_sntx)

HTH

Chris Werner
f+s software gmbh

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> But PB11 should be able to read PB9 DataWindows. In fact, after
> migration all your DataWindows still read the release of the old
> version until they've been saved from the DW painter. I just checked
> one from my PB11 app, and it read:
>
> release 5;
>
> <g>
>
> I'm not confident that Get/SetFullState was intended to persist
> reports across versions. Are you trying to persist the data with the
> report, or just the report structure? If you're trying to keep the
> data, SaveAs (PSR) might cross the version boundaries better (I seem
> to recall there was a cross-version problem at one point, but I think
> that was an exception rather than a rule). If it's just the structure,
> then just saving the syntax (Describe ("datawindow.syntax")) will
> suffice, and be quite cross-version compatible.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 3 Apr 2008 03:00:22 -0800, "Chris Werner"
> <cwAT{PleaseNoSpam}f-s.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi Harm,
>>
>>that's caused by the release number in the datawindows source
>>code. Because the datawindows are created using PB 9 the first
>>line reads as:
>>
>>  release 9.0;
>>
>>That should by
>>
>>  release 11.0;
>>
>>You could try to hack that replacing the 9 by 11 and look what
>>happens (should work)  but it is somewhat uncertain. A safer
>>way is to extract all the datawindows into a PB 9 library using
>>libraryImport() in a PB 9 application, migrating that library to
>>PB 11 (for instance open it with IM 11) and load the datawindows
>>back into the database using a PB 11 application. Keep in mind
>>that after the migration the reports are unusable for applications
>>written in PB versions lower than 11.
>>
>>HTH
>
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
> PB Futures updated April 2/2008
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Chris
4/3/2008 12:50:53 PM
Yes, the EncodingANSI! did the trick for the create. Now the next
statement fails. The ids_buffer.setfullstate returns 1 nicely, but the
report shows no data. Only the structure is shown.

Harm

Chris Werner wrote:
> [...]
>>> that after the migration the reports are unusable for applications
>>> written in PB versions lower than 11.
>>>
>>> HTH
>> *********************************
>> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
>> http://www.freerice.com
>> *********************************
>> Newsgroup User Manual
>> =====================
>> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
>> Forums = Peer-to-peer
>> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
>> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
>> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
>> *********************************
>>
>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
>> Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
>> PB Futures updated April 2/2008
>> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox

0
WDM
4/3/2008 1:32:21 PM
But Get/SetFullState not only saves the structure, but the data as
well. You might have a bit of overkill going on here. If you *only*
had structure in the method I described, you'd be OK. If you can build
a PB9 app to convert your data, then I *believe* you'd be alright.

Good luck,

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated April 2/2008
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
4/3/2008 3:47:00 PM
I doubt you will ever get setfullstate working. However all is not lost.
I would suggest you stop using getfullstate / setfullstate and use
importstring / saveas / datawindow.object.data or similar instead.

Then build a standalone PB9 application to batch convert all the
existing reports. Or you *could* load a PB9 nvo via COM/OLE from your
PB11 application and do the conversion at runtime.

WDM Nederland (Harm Reuling) wrote:
> Yes, the EncodingANSI! did the trick for the create. Now the next
> statement fails. The ids_buffer.setfullstate returns 1 nicely, but the
> report shows no data. Only the structure is shown.
>
> Harm
>
> Chris Werner wrote:
>>> But PB11 should be able to read PB9 DataWindows. In fact, after
>>> migration all your DataWindows still read the release of the old
>>> version until they've been saved from the DW painter
>> Yes, that's what I've experienced until now but I wasn't sure if that
>> is a rule. Another possible error cause is unicode. So I'd try
>>
>>   string(iblob_dw_structure,EncodingANSI!)
>>
>> Of course it makes sense to debug that:
>>
>>   string ls_sntx
>>   ls_sntx = string(iblob_dw_structure,EncodingANSI!)
>>   li_return = ids_buffer.create(ls_sntx)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Chris Werner
>> f+s software gmbh
>>

>> "Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> But PB11 should be able to read PB9 DataWindows. In fact, after
>>> migration all your DataWindows still read the release of the old
>>> version until they've been saved from the DW painter. I just checked
>>> one from my PB11 app, and it read:
>>>
>>> release 5;
>>>
>>> <g>
>>>
>>> I'm not confident that Get/SetFullState was intended to persist
>>> reports across versions. Are you trying to persist the data with the
>>> report, or just the report structure? If you're trying to keep the
>>> data, SaveAs (PSR) might cross the version boundaries better (I seem
>>> to recall there was a cross-version problem at one point, but I think
>>> that was an exception rather than a rule). If it's just the structure,
>>> then just saving the syntax (Describe ("datawindow.syntax")) will
>>> suffice, and be quite cross-version compatible.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten

>>> *********************************
>>> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
>>> http://www.freerice.com
>>> *********************************
>>> Newsgroup User Manual
>>> =====================
>>> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
>>> Forums = Peer-to-peer
>>> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
>>> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
>>> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
>>> *********************************
>>>
>>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>>> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
>>> Version 4.0.3 now available at the Sandbox
>>> PB Futures updated April 2/2008
>>> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
>>> ^ ^
>>> o o
>>> =*=

0
Jeremy

error
here is my script.. DataStore lds_Test lds_Test = CREATE DataStore ls_SQL = "SELECT A, B, C FROM TEST" SQLCA.SyntaxFromSQL(ls_SQL,"",ls_Error) lds_Test.Create(ls_SQL,ls_Error) lds_Test.SetTransObject(SQLCA) ll_Total = lds_Test.Retrieve() At the point of 'Create', i am getting an error 'Datawindow syntax got incorrect release number' what could be the reason. Kindly note i did not attach any dataobject to the datawindow. is that the reason ? Thanx. Prasadh version 7.0.3 build 10108 Krishna Prasadh Information Solutions In...

Error in datawindow error
Hi PowerGuys, I have created datawindow in pb7 and I saved it. In PS file-new-blank html page. I created a blanke html page. Insert activeX control - design tab-sybase html datawindow dtc - selected pbl and datawindow which I want to display on the page. I set generate absolute path-set connect property - enable jaguar component - html generator. saved the page - it automatically deployed to my personal webserver. But, when I browse throug IE5.0 I got an error Line 1 Column 97: incorrect syntax. Where did I go wrong ?. Any one got this error ?. Please help me. Th...

PB 10.5 error: "Datawindow syntax has incorrect release number"
Hello, We are preparing an eventual upgrade from PB 9.0.1 Build 7171 to PB 10.5. I am currently working with build 5034. I am getting the following error after migrating: "DataWindow syntax has incorrect release number." Can anyone help ? Any tips might be useful ... thanks ! Looks like there was a problem during the migration. Did you get any errors/warnings around the time of the migration? -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 ***************************************************************************** Sign up today ...

html datawindow error ERROR: Datawindow definition not set urgent
I have datawindow in a html page, when I created the page in the ActiveX sybase html datawindow properties I choose from source file (*.src) and deploy I get this message ERROR: Datawindow definition not set from my browser are there anybody to help me Thanks Francisco Pardo fpw@gruposoin.com.mx Select the Generate Absolute path in the DTC. Francisco Javier Pardo Weaver wrote in message <5JGJ$grD$GA.51@forums.sybase.com>... >I have datawindow in a html page, when I created the page in the ActiveX >sybase html datawindow properties I choose from source file ...

Error:-Datawindow Release Number is incorrrect
hi creating a dynamic datawindow using create statement dw_1.Create(ls_sql,ls_error) then error occurs 'Datawindow release number is incorrect" ,working on pb6.5 checked my sql statement is fine and in the process of debug copied the dwsyntax and imported as regular datawindow ,it works fine. only when i use create statement ,then error occurs, can somebody help me out.?? please mail to phani23@hotmail.com Thanks phani The release number is the first line of the datawindow syntax (release 6;). Che...

Create Datawindow Function
I have exported the datawindow from my library pbl. I turn around and try to create it dynamically in my application and get a error 'Datawindow syntax incorrect release number' I can import the syntax fine in the library. I need a resolution FAST... Please Help... Jeff Jeff, When you export an object from the library painter, it puts 2 lines at the beginning of the file, something like: $PBExportHeader$d_r_sourceno.srd $PBExportComments$Report: Source Numbers with their Items When you dynamically create a datawindow, you cannot have these lines (they ...

Datawindow Create Function
I have a datawindow that I can export from the pbl. When I try dynamically creating the datawindow in the app using the Create funtion I get the following error Message 'Datawindow Syntax incorrect release number' Please Help... ...

Datawindow Error: Select Error:
The title of the messagebox: Datawindow Error Message is: Select Error: Migrated 6.5 libraries to 8.0. SQL is build on the fly using dot notation(datawindow.table.select) add the where clause and set the sql using dot notation(datawindow.table.select). The datawindow still work fine in the 6.5 environment but not in the 8.0 environment. Why are the messageboxes coming up? I've recreated on of the datawindow and the select error goes away but there are many windows with datawindows retrieving data and we can't recreate our entire app...

error error error

Error, Error and more errors

errors errors errors..

Datawindow Error from Web-Datawindow
I got sometimes a Datawindow Error on my Webpage IE 5.5 ( PB 7.03 10108 ) "Select error: java.net.SocketException: Socket read failed" TIA Keller ...

create datawindow error
i'm using PB7 with ASE. i have a procedure which inserts values to a table while giving two periods as inputs. this works fine from back-end. when i create a dw using this stored procedure as the datasource, the error message displays with: Cannot create datawindow; requested result set number 1 not found. pl. help how to proceed with. thanks res Does your sp have an explicit resultset being returned. If not, check manual resultset and create the resultset columns manually. Otherwise, make the resultset explicit. /ck <res> wrote in message news:73DA3D0BC46EA1...

Datawindow Error:Error parsing command.
Here is my problem: When I try to retrieve a datawindow it comes up with select error: When I turned trace on here is what I get: " Error 999 (rc -1) : Error parsing command: Unexpected token in FROM clause, could not create table list." I thought this bug was fixed in 9066 EBF but apparently not. I checked the dlls loaded at the run time and they all are from the 9066 build. environment PB 8 / 9066 build Win 2K Oracle 8 db 8 native driver. Here is the pbtrace.log extract. Can anyone help? /*---------------------------------------------------*/ /* ...

Web resources about - Datawindow create error: datawindow error has incorrect release number - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo