Calling Java from PowerBuilder???

We are planning to redesign our PowerBuilder application to a pure Java
solution.  Both applications, the PowerBuilder application and Java
application, will be running concurrently during the redesign but we
plan on disabling functionality from a modular level in the PowerBuilder
application as it is redesigned and deployed in the Java solution.  As
the modules are redesigned can the new Java modules be called from
PowerBuilder?  This way the transition will be seamless to the user and
we our maintenance gradly shifted to the Java solution.   Thanks in
advance

--
Peace,
      Michelle

I am too blessed to be stressed.

http://hrdbdy.home.sprynet.com/

ICQ# 17965901 - http://www.icq.com
AOL Screen Name - mdwarne

One other point.  We currently using PB5.0.4 but we do have PB6 and PB7.

--
Peace,
      Michelle

I am too blessed to be stressed.

http://hrdbdy.home.sprynet.com/

ICQ# 17965901 - http://www.icq.com
AOL Screen Name - mdwarne

The Sybase solution for this would be to use EAServer with PowerBuilder 7.
PB7 is much more easily integrated, but PB5 and 6 can also talk to EAServer
using COM proxies.  Microsoft also offers an ActiveX wrapper for Java
components - part of Microsoft's JDK.

--
Jim O'Neil
Senior Technical Support Engineer

"M. Warner" wrote:

> One other point.  We currently using PB5.0.4 but we do have PB6 and PB7.
>
> "M. Warner" wrote:
>
> > We are planning to redesign our PowerBuilder application to a pure Java
> > solution.  Both applications, the PowerBuilder application and Java
> > application, will be running concurrently during the redesign but we
> > plan on disabling functionality from a modular level in the PowerBuilder
> > application as it is redesigned and deployed in the Java solution.  As
> > the modules are redesigned can the new Java modules be called from
> > PowerBuilder?  This way the transition will be seamless to the user and
> > we our maintenance gradly shifted to the Java solution.   Thanks in
> > advance
> >
> > --
> > Peace,
> >       Michelle
> >
> > I am too blessed to be stressed.
> >
> > http://hrdbdy.home.sprynet.com/
> >
> > ICQ# 17965901 - http://www.icq.com
> > AOL Screen Name - mdwarne
>
> --
> Peace,
>       Michelle
>
> I am too blessed to be stressed.
>
> http://hrdbdy.home.sprynet.com/
>
> ICQ# 17965901 - http://www.icq.com
> AOL Screen Name - mdwarne

0
Jim
4/2/2000 3:24:42 AM
OK, but can it call Java objects running in application servers
other than EAServer?

The market leades seem to be WebSphere and BEA Weblogic. Is it possible for
PB
to call Java objects in WebSphere via CORBA or something like that?

BTW, is full-blown CORBA support finally coming to PB?

Jacek Furmankiewicz
STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> The Sybase solution for this would be to use EAServer with PowerBuilder 7.
> PB7 is much more easily integrated, but PB5 and 6 can also talk to
EAServer
> using COM proxies.  Microsoft also offers an ActiveX wrapper for Java
> components - part of Microsoft's JDK.
>
> --
> Jim O'Neil
> Senior Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc
>
> "M. Warner" wrote:
>
> > One other point.  We currently using PB5.0.4 but we do have PB6 and PB7.
> >
> > "M. Warner" wrote:
> >
> > > We are planning to redesign our PowerBuilder application to a pure
Java
> > > solution.  Both applications, the PowerBuilder application and Java
> > > application, will be running concurrently during the redesign but we
> > > plan on disabling functionality from a modular level in the
PowerBuilder
> > > application as it is redesigned and deployed in the Java solution.  As
> > > the modules are redesigned can the new Java modules be called from
> > > PowerBuilder?  This way the transition will be seamless to the user
and
> > > we our maintenance gradly shifted to the Java solution.   Thanks in
> > > advance
> > >
> > > --
> > > Peace,
> > >       Michelle
> > >
> > > I am too blessed to be stressed.
> > >
> > > http://hrdbdy.home.sprynet.com/
> > >
> > > ICQ# 17965901 - http://www.icq.com
> > > AOL Screen Name - mdwarne
> >
> > --
> > Peace,
> >       Michelle
> >
> > I am too blessed to be stressed.
> >
> > http://hrdbdy.home.sprynet.com/
> >
> > ICQ# 17965901 - http://www.icq.com
> > AOL Screen Name - mdwarne

0
Jacek
4/3/2000 2:49:20 PM
Our shop is also using Websphere as strategic Java
development platform. Is there a method to call common
components on this server from Powerbuilder application?
We don't want to give up the powerful front-end apps created
by Powerbuilder but certainly, same as many other development
house, we have to create common java component to be called by
various type of client front-end such as web, Windows apps.

If Powerbuilder can only call EAServer (not popular), its
strength as an open RAD tools is fading away and we have to use
other java front-end tools completely.

0
Anonymous
11/22/2000 2:00:33 AM
That will depend on what version of websphere you are using. Websphere
Advanced is a Java-only application server and doesn't play well with
anything other than Java (and that means no built in integration to any
language other than Java). Enterprise edition includes a CORBA ORB and
PowerBuilder can talk to the CORBA ORB. PowerBuilder can talk to any
CORBA or COM server, but not directly to a Java-only server.

And as for EAServer's popularity, check with Gartner. It's got equal
market-share with Websphere, so if it's not popular, neither is
websphere. (And only BEA's Weblogic is ahead of these two. All others
are way behind).

regards,
Bill

Anonymous@sybase.com wrote:

> Our shop is also using Websphere as strategic Java
> development platform. Is there a method to call common
> components on this server from Powerbuilder application?
> We don't want to give up the powerful front-end apps created
> by Powerbuilder but certainly, same as many other development
> house, we have to create common java component to be called by
> various type of client front-end such as web, Windows apps.
>
> If Powerbuilder can only call EAServer (not popular), its
> strength as an open RAD tools is fading away and we have to use
> other java front-end tools completely.

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Good Links to know, good places to go:

News: Sybase Portal is live - Go http://my.sybase.com

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
Find things like:
-- EAServer 3.6 maintenance release is available
-- PowerBuilder C3 maintenance release available (build 8046)
-- Components, White papers, articles and more
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com

Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill
11/22/2000 3:31:37 PM
Bill,

Unfortunately, I am finding myself responsible for supporting this very same
thing.  My group at Household needs to put together the objects and architecture
to support PowerBuilder clients and WebSphere server.  I guess the good news out
of this is that we are using the Enterprise addition of WebSphere.  Could you
please point me in the right direction where I can find out how to make PB7 use
a non-Sybase CORBA ORB?  Do you know of anyone that has successfully done this
already that I could contact for further assistance?

Thanks,
Phil Yandel

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:31:37 -0500,
Bill Green[TeamSybase] <bill.green@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>That will depend on what version of websphere you are using. Websphere
>Advanced is a Java-only application server and doesn't play well with
>anything other than Java (and that means no built in integration to any
>language other than Java). Enterprise edition includes a CORBA ORB and
>PowerBuilder can talk to the CORBA ORB. PowerBuilder can talk to any
>CORBA or COM server, but not directly to a Java-only server.

Phil Yandel
Consultant, Business System
Household International
Philip.C.Yandel@household.com
(630)350-6160

0
Phil
4/17/2001 8:38:29 PM
Phil,

I believe this was discussed in the EAServer forums. Take a look at the JaguarORB
object in PB, but be at least warned that using it to access other CORBA-based
servers is not supported (although it is reported to work ok).

If you run into questions, post them on the EAServer forums and you will get some
answers.

regards,
Bill

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Vote Now: Readers Choice Awards

Good Links to know, good places to go:

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com - Sign up, visit often
Find things like:
-- EAServer 3.6.1 maintenance release is available
-- PowerBuilder 7.03 maintenance release available
-- Components, White papers, articles and more
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com

Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill

Calling Java from PowerBuilder
Can you invoke/call methods in Java classes from PowerBuilder, and if so how?? You have to wrap the Java class in COM object. For that, you can use tools from MS Java SDK or the ActiveX-Beans bridge from Sun. Check my Java How (URL below) in the General part 3 -> "Wrap a Java class in a COM object" for a simple example. Bye. -- Real Gagnon mailto:real.gagnon@tactika.com Quebec, Canada **** Java Javascript and PowerBuilder How-to **** http://www.tactika.com/realhome/ > Can you invoke/call methods in Java classes from > PowerBui...

How to call a Java program in powerbuilder?
The problem is I am getting a userid and password data which is encrypted using a Java program [please see below the dotted lines]. This is a one way encryption logic, there is no decrypt logic. In the PB program I need to do encryption of the user entered password and compare both the encrypted string to validate the password. Is there a way to call the Java program from the PowerBuilder to do the encryption? ............................................................. package com.safenet.security; /********************************************************/ import java.sec...

To call a java obect from PowerBuilder
How can I call a java object from a PowerBuilder script? Thank you very much.. Domenico In article <5XJ#aL$rBHA.204@forums.sybase.com>, d.beato@cineca.it says... > How can I call a java object from a PowerBuilder script? Where is the Java object? Is it a Jaguar component? Mark No, I need to call a java object from a PB-client application. So there's no application server. Thanx. Domenico. "Mark Pfeifer[TeamSybase]" <see_msg@sprynet.com> wrote in message news:MPG.16cc8ce6308fc0a49896aa@forums.sybase.com... > In article <5...

Calling a Java function from PowerBuilder
Hi all, We need to call a Java function from within PowerBuilder. I realize PB 6.5 can generate Java code but how do we call the functions? We know we can write an external function call to a C program which can make the call. Is there a better way? Thanks. Andy Egleston Is it a running applet or application that can be listening for requests on a socket? You could use a socket OCX and communicate with it from PB that way. Carson ________________________________________________ Carson Hager Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. Te...

PowerBuilder calling a Java Applet?
Is it possible for PowerBuilder to call/execute a Java Applet? If so, can someone give me an example or refer me to documentation? Thanks, Chad Applets are executed from browsers so you'd have to have PB open a java enabled browser and then submit a url for the applet's page. PB could definitely open a java application, but you would probably want to do this through a batch file so that you specify the correct classpath, etc. Are you only trying to open it or did you want to do something with it? Carson ---------------------------------------------------------...

How to call Java component from PowerBuilder.
Can anyone please tell me how can I call a Java component, that is deployed on EAServer6.2 using an EAR file, from a Powerbuilder client that is running on the same EAServer instance. I can think of some options but dont really know how and whether they will work or not. 1) Through CORBA. We make a corba call from Powerbuilder to Java. Has anyone done it before? 2) Through RMI-IIOP. Again has anyone done it before? 3) Is there any other way as well that I can explore? Anuj; AFAIK you should be able to use the TransactionServer object ... Example: transactionserver.Create...

Calling Java Methods from PowerBuilder
Need some help on Calling NVO's methods built using Distributed PB from Java Application. I have created a simple PB Distributed Application which has one NVO and one method. The method inserts some values in the Database. I want to call it through JDPB_Connection. From the Technical Document "Generating Components with PowerBuilder" I learnt that I can do that directly. I have unzipped the Jar file also. The Proxy Object created by PB compiles fine but when I run the Java Code I get the error "NoClassDefFoundError :com/objectspace/jgl/Container". ...

Calling Java Class from PowerBuilder
Hi I am trying to deploy the JavaPBtest example at http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1037085 A colleague can deploy no problem but when I try, I get: ---------- Deploy: Deploy of pbj_proxy Retrieving PowerBuilder Proxies from EJB... Generation Errors: Can't get information of JavaPBtestHome Deployment Error: No files returned for package/component 'JavaPBtest'. Error code: Unknown. Proxy was not created. ---------- Finished Deploy of pbj_proxy I have the same ClassPath in my Tools|System options|Java and have included pbejbclient105.pbd in my target pr...

Calling Java Component from PowerBuilder
Hi I am trying to call a java component on EAServer via my PowerBuilder Client application. As soon as I called createinstance method I am getting the CORBA ORB error in the log. Sep 05 10:13:17 2003: SystemException: BAD_OPERATION (pt_utility/pt_datacache/_get_proxyname - jagadmin@192.168.0.173) does any one have any idea why it is? EAServer version 4.2 PowerBuilder 803- Build 9872 Regards Ali need more information. -- Dean Jones [TeamSybase] CEO PowerObjects http://www.powerobjects.com (612) 339-3355 ext 112 "Ali" <newreader@...

Calling Java Classes from Powerbuilder
Can you call Java Classes directly from Powerbuilder? We are wanting to call Java Messaging Services from inside a Powerbuilder App. ...

PowerBuilder calling a Java Applet?
Is it possible for PowerBuilder to call/execute a Java Applet? If so, can someone give me an example or refer me to documentation? Thanks, Chad ...

Calling Java classes directly from Powerbuilder
Can I call a Java class directly from PowerBuilder? How would I do this? Thanks Craig Not natively. However, you can create a COM wrapper and then use ConnectToNewObject in PB. An example of using the MS Java SDK to do this can be found at: http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0044.html HTH -EGM <crbradle@vac-acc.gc.ca> wrote in message news:F3BC1AFD8E2D1EDC0062EBD285256B79.0062EBE985256B79@webforums... > Can I call a Java class directly from PowerBuilder? How would I do this? > > Thanks > Craig There is also a Sun way of achieving the pac...

Powerbuilder 9 calling a java applet
PB9 is able to call java class in using proxy and marsharler extension. Is it possible to call a java applet from PB ? How to implement it ? One way is to use the IE Web Browser control and load an HTML page which in turn will launch the applet. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com <guil_lu> wrote in message news:403dd055.47ed.846930886@sybase.com... > PB9 is able to call java class in using proxy and marsharler > extension. Is it possible to call a java applet from PB ? > How to implement it ? ...

java powerbuilder to java functions
We are currently on PowerBuilder 8.0, backend Sybase, and are looking into web development using pure Java, no EAS. Are there any class libraries out there that have been written for java/powerbuilder, for instance the equivelent of Rowcount() or Find, or other datawindow functions, but now instead of using datawindows we will be using arrays. I hate to reinvent the wheel and it seems like somebody must have done this already. Larry Horowitz Larry, I'm lost. No EAS, no DataWindows. Where does PowerBuilder fit into the solution here? -- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSy...

Web resources about - Calling Java from PowerBuilder??? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles