Access Violation in PowerBuilder 6.5 and 6.5.1

I'm migrating a big Application from PowerBuilder 5.04 to 6.5.1.
There was no problem in migrating the *.pbl.

When Creating the native Executable for Windows NT 4.0, there is a Dr.
Watson in pb60.exe (Access Violation).

The compiler switches are set the following way:
1) Rebuild -> Full
2) Machine Code -> Yes (Checked)
3) Trace Information -> No (Not Checked)
4) Error Context Information -> No (Not Checked)
5) Executable Format -> Native
6) Optimization -> Speed
7) For each Library has to be created a dll. Therefore the checkbox is
checked for each Library.

I localized one Problem in PB6.5 and PB6.5.1 in a simple testprogram (only
two lines of code):
Do the following to reproduce the problem:

Step-1: Create a new, empty powerBuilder Project.
Step-2: Create a new Window.
Step-3: Code just the following tow lines in the Open Event of the Window:

        String    ls_test
        ls_test = "#�#"

Step-4: Try to create the native executable with the switches mentioned
above and you will have an access violation in PB60.exe.

Questions:
1) What's wrong with PB6.5 and PB6.5.1?
2) Is there a work around? (I really need native Executables and a dll for
each pbl, so creating *.pbd cannot be the answer!)
3) Is this problem still existent in PB7.0?

Thanks for help

Andy
aj@active-software.ch

0
Andreas

Running Win98, PB 6.5.1, no abnormal aborts at all.

Andreas Jost <aj@active-software.ch> wrote in message
[...]

Lu
6/25/1999 2:41:57 PM
There is an open CR on this (166106).  The problem appears to be with
international characters, only when compiling to machine code and,
for whatever reason, only when compiling on NT.  If you compile it on
a Win95 machine it will work fine.

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:07:24 +0100,
Andreas Jost <aj@active-software.ch> wrote:
>I'm migrating a big Application from PowerBuilder 5.04 to 6.5.1.
>There was no problem in migrating the *.pbl.
>
>When Creating the native Executable for Windows NT 4.0, there is a Dr.
>Watson in pb60.exe (Access Violation).
>
>The compiler switches are set the following way:
>1) Rebuild -> Full
>2) Machine Code -> Yes (Checked)
>3) Trace Information -> No (Not Checked)
>4) Error Context Information -> No (Not Checked)
>5) Executable Format -> Native
>6) Optimization -> Speed
>7) For each Library has to be created a dll. Therefore the checkbox is
>checked for each Library.
>

>I localized one Problem in PB6.5 and PB6.5.1 in a simple testprogram (only
>two lines of code):
>Do the following to reproduce the problem:
>
>Step-1: Create a new, empty powerBuilder Project.
>Step-2: Create a new Window.
>Step-3: Code just the following tow lines in the Open Event of the Window:
>
>        String    ls_test
>        ls_test = "#�#"
>
>Step-4: Try to create the native executable with the switches mentioned
>above and you will have an access violation in PB60.exe.
>

>Questions:
>1) What's wrong with PB6.5 and PB6.5.1?
>2) Is there a work around? (I really need native Executables and a dll for
>each pbl, so creating *.pbd cannot be the answer!)
>3) Is this problem still existent in PB7.0?
>
>Thanks for help
>
>Andy
>aj@active-software.ch

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]            | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm

Bruce
6/25/1999 3:34:16 PM
Are you doung a lot calculations, etc.?
What is online refreshing? GUI refreshing? If yes then dll's will not do you
any good...
> Hi Philip
>
> The reason, why we build native dll is speed!
> Our Application runs faster using native executables and we really need
this
> speed for online refreshing etc.
>
> Philip Salgannik wrote in message ...
> >
> >Andreas Jost <aj@active-software.ch> wrote in message
> >> I'm migrating a big Application from PowerBuilder 5.04 to 6.5.1.
> >> There was no problem in migrating the *.pbl.
> >>
> >> When Creating the native Executable for Windows NT 4.0, there is a Dr.
> >> Watson in pb60.exe (Access Violation).
> >>
> >> The compiler switches are set the following way:
> >> 1) Rebuild -> Full
> >> 2) Machine Code -> Yes (Checked)
> >
> >Is there a specific reason for #2 ?

0
Philip
6/25/1999 3:53:19 PM
Hi Philip

The reason, why we build native dll is speed!
Our Application runs faster using native executables and we really need this
speed for online refreshing etc.

Philip Salgannik wrote in message ...

>Andreas Jost <aj@active-software.ch> wrote in message
>> I'm migrating a big Application from PowerBuilder 5.04 to 6.5.1.
>> There was no problem in migrating the *.pbl.
>>
>> When Creating the native Executable for Windows NT 4.0, there is a Dr.
>> Watson in pb60.exe (Access Violation).
>>
>> The compiler switches are set the following way:
>> 1) Rebuild -> Full
>> 2) Machine Code -> Yes (Checked)
>
>Is there a specific reason for #2 ?

0
Andreas
6/25/1999 4:20:14 PM
Yes, we do CUI-Refreshing quite intensive (including calculations).
Our Object Hirarchie has many levels of inheritance. We make use of our own
framework.
Therefore we do not use pfc in this project.

At all, why do you think dlls will not do any good?

0
Andreas
6/26/1999 12:42:23 PM
Thanks for the hint. So I will install a Win95 machine to try again.

I played round with this problem on a NT Workstation last night.
I managed to create the exe and the dll for the described testprogram (on NT
4.0).
Maybe it helps to solve the real problem at Sybase. So far, I did not check,
if it's possible to create the exe and dlls for our real application which
consists not only 2 lines of code :-)
I tried the following (on NT):

1) Create the exe in p-code. Create a pbd for each pbl.
2) Create another exe instantly after step-1. Create Machine code this time!
3) => The exe and the dll was created!!!

It could be, that there is a library missmatch in the Installation-Program
of PowerBuilder or
that there is a problem with a selfregistrating dll in the setup?

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] wrote in message ...
>There is an open CR on this (166106).  The problem appears to be with
>international characters, only when compiling to machine code and,
>for whatever reason, only when compiling on NT.  If you compile it on
>a Win95 machine it will work fine.

0
Andreas
6/26/1999 1:13:36 PM
So it seems to be a real NT Problem.
By the way, is PowerBuilder supported for Win98? (I thought not officially).

Lu Powell wrote in message <6n45ecxv#GA.287@forums.sybase.com>...
>Running Win98, PB 6.5.1, no abnormal aborts at all.

0
Andreas
6/26/1999 1:15:33 PM
On Sat, 26 Jun 1999 14:13:36 +0100,
Andreas Jost <aj@active-software.ch> wrote:
>Maybe it helps to solve the real problem at Sybase. So far, I did not check,
>if it's possible to create the exe and dlls for our real application which
>consists not only 2 lines of code :-)

Well, bear in mind I'm not a Sybase employee, I'm an end-user just like you.

>I tried the following (on NT):
>
>1) Create the exe in p-code. Create a pbd for each pbl.
>2) Create another exe instantly after step-1. Create Machine code this time!
>3) => The exe and the dll was created!!!

Wild.  Perhaps that info would help them track down the bug.  However, they
have been able to reproduce the original problem, so I'm sure that they're
working on it.  I just don't know what priority it has.

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]            | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm

Bruce

Upgrade Powerbuilder 6.5.0444 to 6.5.1
I have Powerbuilder 6.5 build 444 installed, but the application I'm now supporting was built using 6.5.1. Is there anywhere I can get the upgrade to 6.5.1? When I go to the downloads area of this site it asks me for client support which I don't think I have? Thanks Hi Gary; Sorry to say .. but, I think the only PB 6.x copies are in the Smithsonian. :-( The only hope you might have is through Sybase Technical Support. Good luck. -- Regards ... Chris ISUG - NA RUG Director Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/pro...

Migrate PB 6.5.1, PFC and Cornerstone 6.5 to Powerbuilder 7.
Hello! I am now working with PB 6.5.1, PFC 6.5 and Cornerstone 6.5. What is best way to go: Migrate whole application including PFC*.PBL 6.5 to 7 or replace PFC*.PBL from 6.5 with PFC*.PBL 7.0 or ...? Any documents, links or readings about how to eliminate Cornerstone and only use PFC? Thank you for your help /Gunnar Nyberg Ericsson Sweden ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Why would you want to do that? You do have the source to Cornerstone, right? Or did they distribute their framework only as PBDs? ...

MS SQL 6.5 and PowerBuilder 6.5
I have an application in PB6.5 that interfaces with MSSQL 6.5 database. I can run this app WITHIN PB to make a connection the database and retrieve data without a problem, but after I built the EXE file and trying to run from that EXE file, I get a "-1" as the return code from the SetTransObject statement. Sample code is like : datastore lds_datastore lds_datastore = CREATE datastore lds_datastore.DataObject = "d_test" li_return = lds_datastore.SetTransObject(SQLCA) The d_test datawindow object consists of a simple SQL SELECT statement. Has anyone seen this ...

GW 6.5.1 to 6.5.5
We were going to patch our GW 6.5.1 system to 6.5.5 this weekend. Anything to look out for? Anything special to make sure it goes smoothly? Can I do a /copyonly or do I need to do each install for my MTA, PO, Webaccess and GWIA? I currently use Guinevere 2 for our incoming/outgoing internet mail. We will probably be going to GW 7 after the first of the year and thought that being up to 6.5.5 might make the upgrade to GW 7 smoother. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks. You can do a /copyonly with agents and gwia only. Web Access need to be installed from scratch, jus...

Client 6.5.5 and 6.5.6
I am testing this before rolling it out to users--in the item lists, is there a reason that the year no longer displays in the date column (We are upgrading from SP2 and it is fine there)? It now reads mm/dd and the time instead of mm/dd/yy and the time. This is also true of the header when you open an item. It is particulalry a problem when looking at document references. This is not unique to me, is it? Found it--in the Options for date and Time--now, is it possible that the SP5 update changed the settings? "PatM" <pmuellerNOSPAM@cmt-law.com> wrote in ...

upgrade from 6.5.5 to 6.5.6
Hi, We are going to upgrade from 6.5.5 to 6.5.6 to hopefully solve the problem with sending mail to yahoo. My question is do I have to upgrade everything? On one server we have the MTA, GWIA, POA for our main postoffice and webaccess. On the second server we have 4 other postoffice's for our student email. Can I just upgrade the main server with the MTA, GWIA, POA and webaccess and leave the other server alone at 6.5.5? If so will any reconfiguration be neccessary on the old post offices? > Hi, > We are going to upgrade from 6.5.5 to 6.5.6 to hopefully solve th...

upgrading from 6.5.1 to 6.5.6
I ran the patch upgrade for gw 6.5 to get us to sp6. Ran the update and rebooted. all seem to upgrade except the gwia component. It was soft abending the server. I tried re installing the gwia from the new SDD directory and it still did not work. Is there any problems with going from 6.5.1 to 6.5.6 directly? gw 6.5.1 (poa, mta, gwia, webaccess on same server). One post office. novell 6 sp 5. Normally not, but try deleting sccfilt.bin, if it exists. <rmburt@nationalindemnity.com> wrote in message news:_Z7Qh.2389$mb6.563@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... >I r...

GW 5.5 on NW 5.1 -> GW 6.5 on NW 6.5
Hi All, Setup: I have a single tree (TRINET) with 3 Netware 6.5 SP4 servers (INTL, ENV, AUSTIN) running file/print services. In this same tree I have 2 Netware 5.1 SP8 servers (MASTER, EMAIL). MASTER does nothing but have the PO and DO sitting in it's OU on the tree. It is NOT providing any services such as file/print. The server named EMAIL is running GroupWise 5.5 EP SP5. We have a Linux based web server (apache) at a remote site (co-lo) running the WebAccess that connects to EMAIL. I have a NEW server ready to take on an installation of Netware 6.5 and GroupWise 6.5. ...

Upgrade from 5.1 to 6.5 with grpwise 6.5
I have upgraded to NW65 with SP5 from NW5.1 and my server seems to run fine since the upgrade. My WEB server was Novonyx which does not work anymore since apache has taken it's place. It will not come up, giving an error that LDAP is not loaded. Groupwise agents MTA, POA and GWIA are operating fine. If I load NLDAP manually I still get the same error. I have looked in the config file in the apache folder and all of the pointers are to the Novonyx location for my files to load. How can I get the web server operational again? Thanks Wendell What is the exact error o...

PD 9.5.1.765 Build EBF3 and PowerBuilder 6.5.1
I reverse engineered some objects into PD 9.5.1.765 Build EBF3 from PB 6.5.1. If you look at the preview, it's wrong. global type u_ahs_em from u_em event type integer ue_set_readonly(boolean ab_readonly) ( ) event pfc_selectall pfc_selectall event type integer pfc_updatespending(powerobject apo_control[], ref powerobject apo_pending[]) ( ) event type integer pfc_accepttext(powerobject apo_control[], boolean ab_focusonerror) ( ) event type integer pfc_validation(powerobject apo_control[]) ( ) event type integer pfc_updateprep(powerobject apo_control[]) ( ) event type integer ...

PowerBuilder 6.5 and Oracle 8.1.6
I'm a little out of the loop. We have PowerBuilder applications in 6.5 currently running with Oracle 7.3.4. We will be upgrading all Oracle to 8.1.6. We have heard that PowerBuilder 6.5 isn't supported with Oracle 8.1.6, but I haven't been able to confirm on Sybase website. I have seen a lot of problems listed in the newsgroups. 1. Is this true and 2. Do any of the releases support Oracle 8.1.6... like PowerBuilder 8.0? Katie For information on supported version , please look at : TechDoc # 1011566 Notice from Sybase to Customers: Support for Using PowerBuil...

Powerbuilder 6.5 and Oracle 8.1.6
I developed a Powerbuilder 6.5 application which has been working great for the past 3 years. However, my client upgraded his database from Oracle 7.0 to Oracle 8.1.6 now his is getting an error about O84 not being supported. Are there dll's available for Powerbuilder 6.5 and Oracle 8.1.6? If so, where can I get them. I know that Powerbuilder 7.0 has dll's that can be delivered for Oracle 8.1.6 connections, but I don't want to have to migrate my application and rebuilt it. Can I just add the latest pbor**.dll and pbodbc.ini from Sybase to my application folder? I...

PowerBuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0.1
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

PowerBuilder 6.5 on Oracle 8.1.6
I am new to this process. I am a user of a system involving a PowerBuilder 6.5 application which is currently working on data in Oracle 7.3.3. I have just learned from our Oracle DBA that I must ascertain whether this PowerBuilder 6.5 application will run on Oracle 8.1.6 because the organization is switching from Oracle 7.3.3 to Oracle 8.1.6 in the near future. Thus, I would greatly appreciate answers to the following queries: 1) Are there any known problems (inefficiencies, conflicts, inconsistencies, or incompatibilities) in using our older version of PowerBuilder on Or...

Web resources about - Access Violation in PowerBuilder 6.5 and 6.5.1 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles