[MIGRATION QUESTION] PB 6.5.1 vs PB 8.0.1

Hi everyone,

i have a question :
We have developped a startegic application for one of our customer.

We've developped it using PB 6.5.1 (on Windows NT 4.0)

we plan to migrate this application to PB 8.0.1.

Does anyone have heard about particuliar problems about PB 8 ?

What is your opinion about this new version ? It seems to be faster...

Is it stable enough w/ OCXs, etc ?

Thanks in advance for any answer !

best regards,

Guillaume MAISON

0
gmaison

In Sybase.Public.EAServer.PowerBuilder I answered another question regarding
PB4 to PB8. See that posting for further details. The project has just
passed acceptance test with no major obstacles.

I have a few tips for you:
* Watch out for NT4 to W2K migration. In W2K ButtonFace color and light grey
are NOT the same. You can therefore experience a very surprising scenario of
different grey colors on previously 'nice looking' windows.
* Do a migration and test. The time depends on your application size but a
couple of days testing will indicate whether migration will be easy or
tough.
* Don't do application extensions at the same time as migration. First
migrate; then extend.

/MicK
Michael Kramer, SPS Danmark

"Guillaume MAISON" <gmaison@cse.fr> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> i have a question :
> We have developped a startegic application for one of our customer.
>
> We've developped it using PB 6.5.1 (on Windows NT 4.0)
>
> we plan to migrate this application to PB 8.0.1.
>
> Does anyone have heard about particuliar problems about PB 8 ?
>
> What is your opinion about this new version ? It seems to be faster...
>
> Is it stable enough w/ OCXs, etc ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer !
>
> best regards,
>
> Guillaume MAISON

0
Michael

Migration: PowerBuilder 6.5.1 to PB 8.0.1
hi all, I am working on migrating the existing PB6.5.1 application to PB8.0.1 Build 9056 on Win 2000 SP1 system. The migration of the application went fine without any problems. After the migration is successful I tried to full rebuild the application(target as in PB8), it results in application being terminated(GPF). But if i choose Incremental rebuild, it the build works fine. The same happens when I try migration on Win 95 system too. Does anybody out here came across such a problem during migration? Thanks in advance for your help/advice. Mahesh Try optimi...

PB 6.5.0 vs PB 6.5.1 with datastores
Hi all, I began developing a large application using PB 6.5.0 several months ago. For various reasons, we had to migrate the code to 6.5.1. After performing some recursion testing, we noticed that many operations involving datastores ( create, insert rows, update, destroy ) began generating random GPF/Page Faults. The code itself hasn't changed and was verified in PB 6.5.0 via extensive testing. This is a hard one to pinpoint since the crashing is somewhat random. I've read some posts that indicate that certain dot notation can be problematic. All objects were fully rebuilt...

Experiences with PB 6.5.1 vs. PB 6.5.0
Any people run into any problems with 6.5.1 (+ EBF 1163) that were not there in vanilla 6.5.0. We have to migrate very late in the game (1 week before going live!) due to problems with 6.5.0 Oracle drivers and I would appreciate any advice on anything that got broken in that release. TIA, -- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Jacek Furmankiewicz STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com --------------------------------------------------------------------- 6.51 introduces a peculiar side effect during update() of datawindow - scrolls the d...

PB GPFs while migrating an app from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1
Hi, I am trying to migrate an application from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.01. The application runs perfectly under PB 5.0.02. While migrating the app, I get the following message: Pb80 has caused an error in PBVM80.DLL. Then PB crashes. Any suggestions? Moreover, does anyone know of some white paper with some advices on migrating apps? Thx Luca Before migrating, you should run the Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools). Make any suggested changes with PB5 before migrating. Of course, backup, backup, backup. Then, optimize all the PBLs and do a Full Rebuild (Library Pain...

Migration form PB 6.5.1 to PB 8.0
Platform : Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Current Scenario : Database : From SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 Front End : PowerBuilder - 6.5.1 The above configuration which is in production at our 40 locations and working absolutely fine We now migrated to : Database : From SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to ASA - 7.0.3 Front End : PowerBuilder - 6.5.1 to PB 8.0 Now in this combination some DWs are giving error message : PowerBuilder supports only upto 16 decimals. The same DWs are working absolutely fine in old version. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks in advance -Amar...

PB 8.0 crashes during migration from PB 6.5.1
I'm attempting to upgrade our application from 6.5.1 to 8.0. I downloaded the evaluation version a couple of months ago and tested whether or not I would have problems and the migration went fine. Now the company has decided to go ahead with the upgrade to 8.0 and I'm getting Illegal Operation - "PB80 caused an invalid page fault in module PBVM80.DLL at 0177:10c74274." when migrating the objects in the library list using the wizard. I then downloaded the latest patches to upgrade our build from 6028 to 8004 and this is still occurring. Any ideas? TIA for yo...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

Migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5.1
Hi, Anybody have experience in migrating PB application from 5.0.04 to 6.5.1? Is it a easy stuff, or we need to modify a lot for the migration? For the installation of PB 6.5.1, do I need to install 6.0, then 6.5, and then 6.5.1, and then 6.5.1 EBF, or I can start in the mid-way? Is there any performance gain (or loss) for 6.5.1 vs 5.0? Thanks in advance ...Andrew 11Jan2000 The migration should be straightforward. Back up your PB 5.0.04 source, run the migration once and note the errors, warnings, etc... that are generated from the migration. Fix those in your backed ...

PB 6.5.1 and PB 7.0.1
I recently installed EA Studio 3 on my pc. I left my previous install of PB 6.5.1 on my machine. After the install, I can no longer connect to a sybase db anymore. I get a ct_connect() error in PB7 and PB 6.5.1. Can you run pb 6.5.1 in parallel with pb 7.0.1??? My openclient still works. Help!!!!! I have no problem connecting via SYC with both 6.5.1 and 7. Check your environment variables for SYBASE and path to insure that those still reference the Open Client directories. steve [TeamSybase] JKeen wrote: > > I recently installed EA Studio 3 on my pc. I left ...

PB 6.5.1, Connect to Oracle 8.1.6.3 with PBO7360.DLL (v6.5.1.620)
Hey, I've got a developer that I can't get to connect to Oracle from within the PB dev environment (PB 6.5.1). tnsping is fine, all the other Oracle utilities as well, as non-Oracle programs can connect just fine, but just not PB. If you try to configure the database connection under Oracle7, @tns:sun3500 the returned error code is ORA-01019, and then ORA-12514 (if you try again). He has the Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 SQL-net client installed. I have the same SQL-Net on my machine, and it works fine. We've tried SQL-Net 8... as well no difference, and we've re-installed PB...

PB 6.5.1, Connect to Oracle 8.1.6.3 with PBO7360.DLL (v6.5.1.620)
Hey, I've got a developer that I can't get to connect to Oracle from within the PB dev environment (PB 6.5.1). tnsping is fine, all the other Oracle utilities as well, as non-Oracle programs can connect just fine, but just not PB. If you try to configure the database connection under Oracle7, @tns:sun3500 the returned error code is ORA-01019, and then ORA-12514 (if you try again). He has the Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 SQL-net client installed. I have the same SQL-Net on my machine, and it works fine. We've tried SQL-Net 8... as well no difference, and we've re-installed PB...

Can the PB 6.5 or 6.5.1 maintenance release be ran on PB 6.0
Yes. ...

Field size issue migrating DWs from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8.0.1
Hi, I have just migrated an app from PB 5.0.02 to PB 8.0.1.8004 and I had a problem with the size of fields in some dws. The matter is: I use the FixedSys font for my fields, since it is monospaced and easily readable; now, some fields that are completely readable in the PB5 version became partially hidden in the PB8 version. For example, I have some "year" fields with a width of 147 PBUs and edit mask "####"; while they behave perfectly in the PB5 version, in the PB8 one, when the user tabs to such a field the 4th figure is not visible (say, he sees "200" ...

Migration from PB 8.0.1 to PB 10.5
Hi Guys, I have another question about the same window. In PB 8.0, I am using dwcontrol.GetBandAtPointer() function and the return value is header 1. But the same script in PB 10.5 returns background 0. Am I missing something. Do I need to apply a EBF Patch. What can cause all these errors? I would appreciate your help. Thanks ...

Web resources about - [MIGRATION QUESTION] PB 6.5.1 vs PB 8.0.1 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow
EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow

Microsoft Office 2016: Tips for a seamless migration
... between older and alternative systems amongst the workforce, reducing the negative externalities caused from large scale system migration. ...

GOP Lawmakers Call For Curbs, Freeze On Muslim Migration To U.S.
... support for reducing or suspending visa issuances from Muslim countries. Weber told the panel that in the last year alone the Senate Immigration ...

THE US EMV MIGRATION REPORT: What new chip cards mean for consumers, issuers, and merchants
... includes cards that store user information on a chip rather than a magnetic stripe — to make card-present payments more secure. The migration, ...

U.S.-Mexican migration study counters 2016 campaign narrative
Finding by Pew Research Center represents turning point in one of the largest mass migrations in U.S.

This mass migration to US is over
Over the past 10 years, migration from has slowed considerably, partly because of America's sluggish economy.

Migration to Windows 10 to be fastest yet, says Gartner
Windows 10 is poised to become the most widely installed version of Windows ever, following on the path of Windows XP and Windows 7 before it, ...

Huawei, Telefonica Partner on Enterprises Cloud Migration
The first countries where the enterprise cloud service will be deployed are Brazil, Mexico and Chile during the first quarter of 2016.

Africa-Europe: The politics of migration
While Western eyes have recently focused on the east and arrivals from Syria and Afghanistan, people from a dozen or so African countries continue ...