'Invalid datawindow row/column specified' after several iterations.

I am getting 'Invalid datawindow row/column specified' errors in places that
work the first 3 or 4 times for the same functionality.  Eventually the
application breaks down and gives these errors.  Sometimes a datawindow
won't display on screen also.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

0
Adam

Can you explain a bit more exactly what it is you are doing?  The
error you are getting means that the row or column variable you are
specifying in a function that takes row and column as arguments are
not valid...ie they may be null or maybe even there is no data or you
are performing the function on the wrong datawindow.  Give me a little
more info...

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:46:59 -0500, "Adam Ruderman"
<adamr@infoconcepts.com> wrote:

>I am getting 'Invalid datawindow row/column specified' errors in places that
>work the first 3 or 4 times for the same functionality.  Eventually the
>application breaks down and gives these errors.  Sometimes a datawindow
>won't display on screen also.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.

Andy Turiansky [TeamPS]
Team Powersoft
Andrew_Turiansky@compuserve.com
0
Andrew_Turiansky
11/4/1997 3:18:34 AM
Yes I've had this problem.

the following conditions and OS  are what causes the My problem.

Client side - win 3.11 with 8 meg of memory. (win 3.11 have memory leak
issue)

When we load our app we store our item file in memory. ( the larger the file
the less memory the client has and the more the problem occurs).

When users open then close other apps (i.e Access, Word, etc..)
memory is reduced, not always, (memory leak) .
after awhile PB tries to retrieve a data window and can't. (but in my app I
don't test for this problem )

in a nut shell If PB does not have the memory to load a data window

this problem is simular to Word trying to print and displaying the message
"unable to reformat page
due to low resources".

I've have a order script that uses GETROWCOUNT on an inactive data window
if the count is zero , I display  a delete msg , when this appeared ,a user
called me to their workstation , we Actived (clicked on the line item
window)
the window appeared and the data window was empty. ( the data window row is
gone , no rows)
we exited all App . (Word , Access, PB, etc...)
stopped windows . (file , exit)
restarted windows (we need to exit windows to reclaim all lost memory).
reloaded the PB app.
recalled the order and the data window displaied the missing lines.

note: if your still using Win 3.11 and DOS use the following:
CHKDSK/F (and delete all lost clusters)
find and del all *.tmp (window temp files)  ( look for    ~*.tmp,  *.~mp ,
~*.~mp)
 look in (c:\dos, c:\temp c:\windows  (if these directorys exist)
DEFRAG the drive.

what I found is that it all boils down to Memory, if there is not enough you
get these problems
one one package is safe.

I come to the above answer after months of chasing the problem.
the users with 16 meg had less problems than those with 8 meg (any user with
a screen saver doubled their chances).
I seen user try to print and can't (see above msg) until they exited windows
and re load the app.

to see memory leaks occur
1) in the program manager
    click Help
    click About windows

this display memory resources
watch it drop as you open and close the same app.

as to how to fix it I did the following
1) added memory to users who had this problem. (this worked)
2) I'm re-witing the PB app to use less memory items
     ( Less global vars and more Instance or NVO's)
3) some time re-compileing the PB app works. (don't know why (bad object?),
but I've seen news items that recomend this)

if your not using Win 3.11, the same problem may exist in win 95/NT ( I saw
a news item about Memory leaks , but did not read it)

Hope this Helps

Tim - OMG

Adam Ruderman wrote in message ...
>I am getting 'Invalid datawindow row/column specified' errors in places
that
>work the first 3 or 4 times for the same functionality.  Eventually the
>application breaks down and gives these errors.  Sometimes a datawindow
>won't display on screen also.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.

0
Tim
11/4/1997 3:20:34 PM
Sure,

The error comes up on a Setitem, but it isn't as simple as having the wrong
field or something, because this is Ancestor code.  It works fine in varying
test cases.  But after repeating actions several times, it hits the error.
My guess is that it is some kind of memory leak, but I can't track down a
solution.  Is there a tool that can tell you whether a Create has been done
and not destroyed?

Andy Turiansky wrote in message <345e8f89.4299983@forums.powersoft.com>...
>Can you explain a bit more exactly what it is you are doing?  The
>error you are getting means that the row or column variable you are
>specifying in a function that takes row and column as arguments are
>not valid...ie they may be null or maybe even there is no data or you
>are performing the function on the wrong datawindow.  Give me a little
>more info...
>
>On Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:46:59 -0500, "Adam Ruderman"
><adamr@infoconcepts.com> wrote:
>
>>I am getting 'Invalid datawindow row/column specified' errors in places
that
>>work the first 3 or 4 times for the same functionality.  Eventually the
>>application breaks down and gives these errors.  Sometimes a datawindow
>>won't display on screen also.  Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

>Andy Turiansky [TeamPS]
>Team Powersoft
>Andrew_Turiansky@compuserve.com

0
Adam
11/4/1997 6:03:44 PM
Use the debugger to step through the program and check the arguments to
each SetItem() function call. The executing code is probably moving to
an invalid row( row 0, a negative row value, or row > RowCount() ) or
deleting rows from the DataWindow until there is nothing left. In every
case I have ever seen, this is always a programming logic error.
HTH,
Michael D. Kersey

Adam Ruderman wrote:

> I am getting 'Invalid datawindow row/column specified' errors in places that
> work the first 3 or 4 times for the same functionality.  Eventually the
> application breaks down and gives these errors.  Sometimes a datawindow
> won't display on screen also.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
0
Michael
11/5/1997 6:03:50 PM
Is this problem occurring in an executable, or in the Powerbuilder
'jogger'?  Do you happen to change the dataobject of the datawindow that
you are trying to do a setitem to?  If so, then you would get this error
in an executable if you forgot to put the datawindow in your pbr (unless
the library is a .dll - I think).  You might also get this error in the
'jogger' if you did change the dataobject, and the row and column name
are no longer valid.

Adam Ruderman wrote:

> I am getting 'Invalid datawindow row/column specified' errors in places that
> work the first 3 or 4 times for the same functionality.  Eventually the
> application breaks down and gives these errors.  Sometimes a datawindow
> won't display on screen also.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

^^						   	^^
^^  		Tiffany Tishinski (B.C.Sc.)		^^
^^ 		AgPro Grain Inc.		        ^^
^^  		PowerBuilder Programmer/Analyst		^^
^^						        ^^
Tiffany

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

CS0178: Invalid rank specifier: expected ',' or ']'
Hi,I get this error:-CS0178: Invalid rank specifier: expected ',' or ']'with the following code : Code:  1 Conn.Open(); 2 reader = cmd.ExecuteReader(); 3 while (reader.Read()) 4 { 5 countthis = countthis + 1; 6 myarray += "{ \"" + reader["redirect_report_title"].ToString() + "\" , \"redirect((" + reader["redirect_title"].ToString() + "))\"},"; 7 } 8 9 10 11 12 ...

Select where column IN ('DC123', 'WQ242', 'GT654', 'EL982', ......);
Which will be faster given that the list of IDs can be quite large (hundreds or thousands of IDs)? For count = 1 to rows ls_ID = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id") dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2 Next OR Or modifying the select statement... select column1, column2.....where ID IN ('DC123', 'WQ242', 'GT654', 'EL982', ......); Ido you can also used an argument of the type string array with your datawindow : string ls_id[] For count = 1 to rows ls_id[count] = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id") Next dw_2...

SqlBulkCopy: the locale id '0' of the source column '<column name> ' and the locale id '1033' of the destination column '<column name>' do not match.
Hi, I am using the sqlbulkcopy object to transfer large amount of data from one SQL server to Other. The code look like this.. SqlDataReader readerSrc = null;SqlBulkCopy bulkCopy = new SqlBulkCopy(connDest);//Prepare Destination Table.SqlCommand cmdDelete = new SqlCommand("DELETE FROM " + destTableName, connDest);//Set the sqlcommand textSqlCommand cmdGet = new SqlCommand("SELECT * FROM " + srcTableName, connSrc);//Open source connection.connSrc.Open();//Open destination connection.connDest.Open();int delete = cmdDelete.ExecuteNonQuery();//Get the data.readerSrc = cmdGet.ExecuteRead...

'disabling' rows in a datawindow based on column value
I have a datawindow in which I wish to prevent edits of rows with a status = 'cmplt'. I would like the row to be 'grayed out' and inaccessible to the user (I don't want to wait until after they have changed the row to warn them that it is not allowed). where would I put the code, and what is the relevant function or property to get the 'disabled' behavior? tia You will have to set up an 'if' condition on various attributes (protect, border, background.color) on the expressions tab for each column in the row. This 'if' condition will ...

what's the meaning of the 'row' parameter of a datawindow?
The number of the current row. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com Orion <remoter@yeah.net> wrote in message news:XgituBJ9$GA.203@forums.sybase.com... > > > This can also refer to the argument passed when calling certain row-related events in a datawindow control, such as RetrieveRow(). These events "know" the current row, so it is passed automatically. Orion wrote: ...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'''

XPath
Hi allI'm trying to use XPath to select a node in a Word document saved as XML.I'm looking for a <w:t> node with the value '«test_Title»'.Problem is, I get the 'Invalid token' exception because it doesn't like the chevron characters.Anyone aware of how I might escape them?ThanksDavid Hi,     Can you please provide us the xPath expression used for selecting the nodes.-Sri-------------------------------------------------If this post was useful to you, please mark it as answer. Thank you! Hi there//w:t[contains(.,'«test_Title»')] Th...

'b'..'a'

'or' or 'union'