some enhancements in future to make life easier

1. should be able to copy the skeleton of DW for new with different sql,
will help to save lot of time in case you are designing report which will
have the same format for output but different tables..
2. allow to move and position the columns in grid dw at design time, instead
of deleting the column and inserting the same in the new position
3. back option in debug should move the entire script back like "rewind"
4. messagebox should allow to display enumerated data type values like
dwitemstatus, key value in keydown...

Thanx.

Krishna Prasadh
Information Solutions Inc.
http://www.isnetusa.com

0
Prasadh

Regarding item 2:

You can do this today. Just move the columns in the Preview panel and
they will be changed in the design panel.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:37:32 -0500, <Prasadh> wrote:

>1. should be able to copy the skeleton of DW for new with different sql,
>will help to save lot of time in case you are designing report which will
>have the same format for output but different tables..
>2. allow to move and position the columns in grid dw at design time, instead
>of deleting the column and inserting the same in the new position
>3. back option in debug should move the entire script back like "rewind"
>4. messagebox should allow to display enumerated data type values like
>dwitemstatus, key value in keydown...
>
>Thanx.
>
>Krishna Prasadh
>Information Solutions Inc.
>http://www.isnetusa.com

0
dfish
2/11/2003 5:16:36 PM
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:37:32 -0500, <Prasadh> wrote:

>1. should be able to copy the skeleton of DW for new with different sql,
>will help to save lot of time in case you are designing report which will
>have the same format for output but different tables..

File / Save As... and change the SQL in the new datawindow.

or (if you'd like a more OO approach that cascaded changes in the
original DW)

SetSQLSelect() or Modify() or intercept SQL and change in the
SQLPreview event in order to change it at runtime.

>3. back option in debug should move the entire script back like "rewind"

Debug / Set Next Statement handles the execution pointer, but not the
variables. And, given the overhead of tracking values of variables for
every step, and the risk of it getting screwed up, in the end you may
not want variable tracking. <g>

Good luck,

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
See the new PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
2/11/2003 7:04:49 PM
Hi!
Following the idea of point 1 ...
Is very clumsy to have to change colors, fonts, etc... (that PB puts in
plain black and white style) each time you need a grid for
selection/editing.
It would be nice to have "Presentation Templates" for DW from wich the new
DWs will be created.
A Presentation Template could define:
1. DW attributes..   (Mouse selection, paper orientation, paper size,
etc...)
2. Band attributes...  (BackColor, height, pointer, etc..)
3. For each object type within a band (columns, texts, computedfields,
etc.)...
    - Font (with size, color, backcolor, weight, etc.)
    - Border Style
    - Height
    - Format
....and many more.
So... we could create DW from templates based on purpose (i.e.: Selection
Grid, Printable Report, Editable Form, etc...)

N�stor.

<Prasadh> escribi� en el mensaje news:5nMOA4e0CHA.199@forums.sybase.com...

> 1. should be able to copy the skeleton of DW for new with different sql,
> will help to save lot of time in case you are designing report which will
> have the same format for output but different tables..
> 2. allow to move and position the columns in grid dw at design time,
instead
> of deleting the column and inserting the same in the new position
> 3. back option in debug should move the entire script back like "rewind"
> 4. messagebox should allow to display enumerated data type values like
> dwitemstatus, key value in keydown...
>
> Thanx.
>
> Krishna Prasadh
> Information Solutions Inc.
> http://www.isnetusa.com

> 3. For each object type within a band (columns, texts, computedfields,
> etc.)...
>     - Font (with size, color, backcolor, weight, etc.)
>     - Border Style
>     - Height
>     - Format

You can get a lot of this today with the use of the catalog tables (height
and format) - font is tied to the table itself..  Border style is tied to
the presentation type but not the object.

"N�stor Marcel S�nchez Ahumada" <nmsa@terra.cl> wrote in message
> Hi!
> Following the idea of point 1 ...
> Is very clumsy to have to change colors, fonts, etc... (that PB puts in
> plain black and white style) each time you need a grid for
> selection/editing.
> It would be nice to have "Presentation Templates" for DW from wich the new
> DWs will be created.
> A Presentation Template could define:
> 1. DW attributes..   (Mouse selection, paper orientation, paper size,
> etc...)
> 2. Band attributes...  (BackColor, height, pointer, etc..)
> 3. For each object type within a band (columns, texts, computedfields,
> etc.)...
>     - Font (with size, color, backcolor, weight, etc.)
>     - Border Style
>     - Height
>     - Format
> ...and many more.
> So... we could create DW from templates based on purpose (i.e.: Selection
> Grid, Printable Report, Editable Form, etc...)
>
> N�stor.
>
> <Prasadh> escribi� en el mensaje news:5nMOA4e0CHA.199@forums.sybase.com...
> >
> > 1. should be able to copy the skeleton of DW for new with different sql,
> > will help to save lot of time in case you are designing report which
will
> > have the same format for output but different tables..
> > 2. allow to move and position the columns in grid dw at design time,
> instead
> > of deleting the column and inserting the same in the new position
> > 3. back option in debug should move the entire script back like "rewind"
> > 4. messagebox should allow to display enumerated data type values like
> > dwitemstatus, key value in keydown...
> >
> > Thanx.
> >
> > Krishna Prasadh
> > Information Solutions Inc.
> > http://www.isnetusa.com

0
Daniel

Are Futures the future of DOMRequest?
Hi, There is a draft for futures (promise-like mechanism) [1] which hopefully would replace DOMRequest. One question is whether they could replace it. FirefoxOS and Gaia in particular make heavy use of current APIs which define DOMRequest objects or equivalent (SMSRequest, FileRequest...). If Futures can repace DOMRequest, that's awesome. If they cannot, one idea is to make DOMRequest inherit from DOMFuture. Thoughts? David [1] https://github.com/slightlyoff/DOMFuture ...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures?
Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures? > Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures? I'd say possible futures if Sybase gets there act together sharply but most likely "slowly stagnating into a lingering death - no future"! Jack D. It depends, will we be disccussing the product, or your future career as a comedian? <g> Distruptive change is hard. Some people don't want to adapt. That's why when Microsoft originally introduced .Net, so many people, including many Microsoft MVPs, lobbied for the continuation of the "c...

The future of Indy or what are your plans for the future?
Sorry if a topic in the wrong section, but very interesting: what are the plans for the development of Indy (if any)? Are there any plans to create a bug-trekker? And from a personal question: Do you plan to implement support for SSH? I'll add the following question : will the SuperCore package (fibers, IOCP, etc.) be revived ? That was a great project ;) <pavel dobryakov> wrote in message news:125448@forums.codegear.com... > Sorry if a topic in the wrong section, but very interesting: what are the > plans > for the development of Indy (if any)? There are no d...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

Advice for someone programming in ASP.NET 1.1 wanting to make the future migration to 2.0 easier?
Hi everyone, I decided to program an application in asp.net 1.1 instead of 2.0 which I think is still to unstable to use. Does anyone have any tips for us so we have the least headaches possible when we migrate the application to 2.0 next year? For example - is there a "best way" to create the authentication and login system, so if we want to convert to the 2.0 profile system, its an easier switch over? Also we want to make our application multi-lingual - should we just wait to integrate that in the application until 2.0 where it becomes a bit easier? Is there a best way ...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

FUTURE
I'm worried...I search jobs right now and I don't know....I know I am MS certified Professional (for MS SQL 2K Design and implementation, 1 test of DBA). I'm now (contracting) Sybase 11.9.2.....it sucks....I was DBA...Now the database is on UNIX....Thats not my bitch purpose....I don't really know what my bitch is but I am mad....at somebody....me if noone else for being so stupid to lay back and think u will retire working with Powerbuilder....Sybase (ASE) sucks....No inline functions....Even Microsoft SQL 2K has inline functions....SQL 2K is awesome! Speaking fr...

Web resources about - some enhancements in future to make life easier - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Edge enhancement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edge enhancement is an image processing filter that enhances the edge contrast of an image or video in an attempt to improve its acutance (apparent ...

Platform Updates: Mobile App Ad Enhancements, Business Mapping Token and EU VAT Changes
Platform Updates: Mobile App Ad Enhancements, Business Mapping Token and EU VAT Changes

PMD IgnitionOne adds analytics enhancements to digital marketing suite
IgnitionOne , a Facebook Preferred Marketing Developer, announced recently an update to the company’s digital marketing suite, adding deeper ...

Mobile app updates: Enhancements to search, web browsing and more
Today we’re updating our iOS and Android apps along with mobile.twitter.com to make it easier and faster to find and see content on Twitter. ...

Editing is essential: new badges and review enhancements
We rolled out three new badges last week! These recognize a pattern that sets Stack Exchange apart from the forums and message boards that came ...

YouTube - Nicholas Zakas: Progressive Enhancement 2.0
... engineer and author of several books about JavaScript, joined us at the March 5th, 2012 BayJax event to share his vision of progressive enhancement, ...

NBN business plans heat up with 'enhancements'
NBN Co has announced its first business-focused enhancement for NBN for Business, with four RSPs pegged to offer business services on the National ...

Adobe Photoshop: 25 years of hoaxes, fails and enhancements
Turning 25 this week, Photoshop has done much more than make it easier for artists to create and enhance great works.

Fish enhancement program shuts down
... of working with government to keep fish populations in P.E.I. waterways healthy, the Cardigan Fish Hatchery is closing down its fish enhancement ...

Velocity enhancement helps channel funds into real economy
Velocity enhancement helps channel funds into real economy People's Daily Online ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, ...