sockets

I'll be simple. I would like Java style Sockets, and Server Sockets.

So I can write pb apps to connect/interface/serve directly to other apps
based on TCP/IP.  Without having to resort to going to third party controls.

I would also like my EAServer course not to be posponed for another two
months because noone apart from myself wants to go.  I've been booked in
since Nov last year, and still noone in Sydney wants to go.  I've been told
that they won't even consider a one-one training session, I think that says
quite a lot about why there is a sheer lack of interest in Sybase lately.
At the rate they are going I'll have finished the EAServer project before I
get training.

0
John

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:55:46 +1000, "John Pallister"
<johnp@networklogic.com.au> wrote:

>I'll be simple. I would like Java style Sockets, and Server Sockets.
>
>So I can write pb apps to connect/interface/serve directly to other apps
>based on TCP/IP.  Without having to resort to going to third party controls.
>
>I would also like my EAServer course not to be posponed for another two
>months because noone apart from myself wants to go.  I've been booked in
>since Nov last year, and still noone in Sydney wants to go.  I've been told
>that they won't even consider a one-one training session, I think that says
>quite a lot about why there is a sheer lack of interest in Sybase lately.
>At the rate they are going I'll have finished the EAServer project before I
>get training.

John, I know this is the wrong forum to discuss this, but which
EAServer class are you scheduled for? If it's EAServer Admin, well, of
all the Sybase courses I used to teach, that was the one I dreaded
most.   Email me if you want to know my $.02.

Larry Molter
Former Sybase Partner Tools Instructor
0
lmolter1
4/12/2002 12:12:02 PM
I may well be interested in the course (Depending on which one it is).
I can fly across from Dunedin.
E-mail me details off line if you wish.
Regards

Brett Weaver

0
Brett

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

Powerbuilder Socket.
hi! is there a way to create a program in Powerbuilder 7.0 that utilizes sockets. In that way I could create a simple Instant Messaging programming using client and server sockets... would that be possible? If there is, could you guys show me some code or may point me to a site that offers informations regarding to my query... thank you jun Joe, asked the same question yesterday. Take a look at the answers on his post HTH Arnoud Url: http://www.gloriant.be "Jun" <jmartinph@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Xns931894889929jmartinphyahoocom@199.93.177.7...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

PowerBuilder and sockets
I am having trouble to establish a connection from a PowerBuilder Application to a Unix-demon-process via Berkley Sockets.. Using an Unix-Client everything works fine, but trying to do the same coding in a Power-Script the client can't reach the demon-process. To use the socket-related functions (like socket(), connect(), etc.) i declared them as local external functions. This is my Code: <External Function Declarations>: Function uint socket(int af, int typ, int protocol) Library "wsock32.dll" Function int connect(uint sfd, REF s_sockaddr_in sockaddr, int ...

Socket programming in powerbuilder
Hi is there a way to open a socket in powerbuilder and send and recieve messages via sockets . thanx http://powerbuilder.codexchange.sybase.com/files/documents/67/1139/winsock32.pbl > > is there a way to open a socket in powerbuilder and send > and recieve messages via sockets . > > thanx > > And this: http://powerbuilder.codexchange.sybase.com/files/documents/67/755/socketwrenchpbl.zip ...

What is EAS/PowerBuilder future?
What is the future of PowerBuilder to develop middle-tier code for Jaguar and as a whole? In article <Vd3myfB8AHA.261@forums.sybase.com>, egattu@yahoo.com says... > What is the future of PowerBuilder to develop middle-tier code for Jaguar > and as a whole? > > > Come to TechWave and find out<g> Sybase is still committed to PowerBuilder! Mark Except for Linux... "Mark Pfeifer[TeamSybase]" wrote: > In article <Vd3myfB8AHA.261@forums.sybase.com>, egattu@yahoo.com says... > > What is the future of PowerBuilder to...

Powerbuilder Socket Library
Can anyone point me towards a reliable powerbuilder library for direct socket programming? Thanks Hi ! There is an FTP example in PB6.5 Luck ! "MissionSoft Inc." wrote: > Can anyone point me towards a reliable powerbuilder library for direct socket programming? Thanks -- Sincerelly, Vladimir M. Bogak, ------------------ ICQ : 26391985 Homepage : http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/5889/ Phones : +380-62-334-1489, 335-0476 (work), +380-62-335-1305 (home) Try PowerTCP from DART Communications - Excellent collection of Actice-X controls that work...

Using sockets with Powerbuilder
I need to do a socket application to communicate with other application. How can I do this with Powerbuilder 10 Thanks for your support David Ochoa wrote: > I need to do a socket application to communicate with other > application. How can I do this with Powerbuilder 10 > > Thanks for your support Try http://www.dart.com/downloads/ a. Try the Winsock example in the free code section of http://www.topwizprogramming.com/ <David Ochoa> wrote in message news:445156ff.2ed6.1681692777@sybase.com... >I need to do a socket application to communicate wit...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

Web resources about - sockets - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

AC power plugs and sockets - British and related types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plugs and sockets for portable appliances originated in Britain in the 1880s and were initially two pin designs. These were usually sold as a ...

usb charger to fit a car lighter socket - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Made a quick l7805 (think minty boost) charger for some gadgets. Runs from a car cigarette lighter plug, and outputs 5vdc to a female usb socket. ...

Mitch Robinson lied to Carlton about incident that left him with a broken eye socket
Mitch Robinson lied to Carlton officials when asked why he had suffered a broken eye socket during a scuffle in the early hours of Sunday morning. ...

Brisbane Broncos forward Alex Glenn facing six weeks on sideline with fractured eye socket
Wayne Bennett ranks Brisbane fullbacks as Justin Hodges injury leaves Broncos with fifth choice rookie

ASRock Rack Announces EP2C612D24 and 4L: Dual Socket Haswell-EP with 24 DDR4 Slots
... 16GB UDIMMs, this allows for a maximum of 384GB, although moving up to RDIMM, LRDIMMs or 64GB NVDIMMs pushes the max to 1.5TB in a dual socket ...

Meet Beam, the Android projector that turns any light bulb socket into an entertainment center
In case you were looking for an out-of-the-box smart projector, then Beam might be worth looking into. The unusual-looking device has just been ...

A charred eye socket provides proof that 43 missing Mexico students are dead
People gather outside of the home of Alexander Mora, one of 43 college students missing since September whose charred remains have now been positively ...

Cool Chart of the Week: Solar Socket Parity In California, Australia, Germany, Italy, & Netherlands
I forget now how I ran across this chart, but it’s a nice one. It shows that residential solar PV power hit socket parity (aka grid parity) in ...

Dell Aims Four-Socket Server at Modern Database Hardware Needs
Launches x86 PowerEdge servers in bid to carve out more high-end server market share Read More

Video: Socket To Me! Nitwit At ‘Hand To God’ Tries To Charge Phone On Set
... on a performance of Hand To God at Broadway ’s Booth Theatre a few days ago, this patron leapt onstage and tried to plug his phone into a socket ...