Open Advisory Board

Hi All;

    Its too bad that Sybase does not have a public and open Advisory Board
like MS does ...

Hello Chris,

As an IT Professional and Developer with an opinionated view on the IT
Industry ... would you like to help shape future Microsoft initiatives,
including upcoming product and services launches?

The Microsoft IT Advisory Council is opening up recruitment once again for
interested parties to get involved. For the past 5 years the ITAC has been
offering its members not only the forum to discuss with a community of their
peers the various topics that concern them on a day to day basis in the IT
industry but also to provide them with the chance to review, critique, and
expand upon various Microsoft offerings and products. Traditionally it's
been existing products and services but as of this August, with our launch
of the Last Mile Experience (LMX), that offering has grown substantially.
Microsoft would now like to offer the members of ITAC the chance to review
products that are scheduled to launch in the upcoming year as well.

What is the IT Advisory council you ask?

The IT Advisory Council (ITAC) is a select group of IT Professionals and
Developers. The purpose of the council is to create a platform for you to
share your views, ideas, expertise and opinions, in order to help Microsoft
shape future initiatives. As a member, you play an integral part in
providing feedback on Microsoft customer offerings, licensing, support,
marketing materials and community initiatives. You can provide direct
feedback on a range of Microsoft's upcoming product and services launches.
We're looking to add 2000 more members over the next few months to interact
with the smartest professionals in business and technology while influencing
and setting industry trends. It's easy to get involved as well!

As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
discussions with other council members. You will also represent the customer
voice to help determine what is missing within their final launch to the
customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual customer experience
of Microsoft products and services. Additionally, you will be entered into
giveaways, and special offers.

It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!

-The Microsoft ITAC Team

  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the
masses.

Regards ... Chris
Blog: http://ChrisPollach.BlogSpot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

Chris

The charter of this board sounds fairly similar to the charter of this
newsgroup.

--
John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
> Hi All;
>
>    Its too bad that Sybase does not have a public and open Advisory Board
> like MS does ...

> Hello Chris,
>
> As an IT Professional and Developer with an opinionated view on the IT
> Industry ... would you like to help shape future Microsoft initiatives,
> including upcoming product and services launches?
>
> The Microsoft IT Advisory Council is opening up recruitment once again for
> interested parties to get involved. For the past 5 years the ITAC has been
> offering its members not only the forum to discuss with a community of
> their peers the various topics that concern them on a day to day basis in
> the IT industry but also to provide them with the chance to review,
> critique, and expand upon various Microsoft offerings and products.
> Traditionally it's been existing products and services but as of this
> August, with our launch of the Last Mile Experience (LMX), that offering
> has grown substantially. Microsoft would now like to offer the members of
> ITAC the chance to review products that are scheduled to launch in the
> upcoming year as well.
>
> What is the IT Advisory council you ask?
>
> The IT Advisory Council (ITAC) is a select group of IT Professionals and
> Developers. The purpose of the council is to create a platform for you to
> share your views, ideas, expertise and opinions, in order to help
> Microsoft shape future initiatives. As a member, you play an integral part
> in providing feedback on Microsoft customer offerings, licensing, support,
> marketing materials and community initiatives. You can provide direct
> feedback on a range of Microsoft's upcoming product and services launches.
> We're looking to add 2000 more members over the next few months to
> interact with the smartest professionals in business and technology while
> influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy to get involved as
> well!
>
> As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
> discussions with other council members. You will also represent the
> customer voice to help determine what is missing within their final launch
> to the customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual customer
> experience of Microsoft products and services. Additionally, you will be
> entered into giveaways, and special offers.
>
> It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!
>
> -The Microsoft ITAC Team
>
>  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
> large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the
> masses.
>

> Regards ... Chris
> Blog: http://ChrisPollach.BlogSpot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass

0
John
9/29/2010 2:23:29 PM
  What I would like to see is completely open invitation by Sybase to have a
more varied amount of PB developers from the real world of application
development. The membership should also be public - so that all Sybase
customers would be able to see who is participating at any given time and
their credentials.

  I hear allot of comments over the years that Sybase has asked this or that
and has had input from their AB. However, I have never seen who is on the AB
and what credentials they carry - not like the MS one. Making the Sybase AB
open and public ensures that it is not perceived like software "vapour
ware".

"John Strano[Sybase]" <nichtspamnonejohn@johnstrano.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> to interact with the smartest professionals in business and technology
>> while influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy to get involved
>> as well!
>>
>> As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
>> discussions with other council members. You will also represent the
>> customer voice to help determine what is missing within their final
>> launch to the customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual
>> customer experience of Microsoft products and services. Additionally, you
>> will be entered into giveaways, and special offers.
>>
>> It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!
>>
>> -The Microsoft ITAC Team
>>
>>  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
>> large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the

9/29/2010 2:40:30 PM
As John said, it sounds a WHOLE LOT like this newsgroup. The only thing
missing is a list of who has posted.

On 9/29/2010 9:40 AM, Chris Pollach wrote:
> [...]
>>> to interact with the smartest professionals in business and technology
>>> while influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy to get involved
>>> as well!
>>>
>>> As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
>>> discussions with other council members. You will also represent the
>>> customer voice to help determine what is missing within their final
>>> launch to the customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual
>>> customer experience of Microsoft products and services. Additionally, you
>>> will be entered into giveaways, and special offers.
>>>
>>> It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!
>>>
>>> -The Microsoft ITAC Team
>>>
>>>   I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
>>> large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the

Jason
9/29/2010 2:59:49 PM
Yes, its like other vendor NG's. I do not consider a NG like an AB though.
The AB is dedicated to resonding to questions from the software vendor - not
a self help venue like the NG.

"Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]" <jason.fenter@teamsybase.com> wrote in
message news:4ca35465@forums-1-dub...
> As John said, it sounds a WHOLE LOT like this newsgroup. The only thing
> missing is a list of who has posted.
>

> On 9/29/2010 9:40 AM, Chris Pollach wrote:
>>    What I would like to see is completely open invitation by Sybase to
>> have a
>> more varied amount of PB developers from the real world of application
>> development. The membership should also be public - so that all Sybase
>> customers would be able to see who is participating at any given time and
>> their credentials.
>>
>>    I hear allot of comments over the years that Sybase has asked this or
>> that
>> and has had input from their AB. However, I have never seen who is on the
>> AB
>> and what credentials they carry - not like the MS one. Making the Sybase
>> AB
>> open and public ensures that it is not perceived like software "vapour
>> ware".
>>

>> "John Strano[Sybase]"<nichtspamnonejohn@johnstrano.com>  wrote in message
>>> The charter of this board sounds fairly similar to the charter of this
>>> newsgroup.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist
>>>

>>> "Chris Pollach"<cpollach@travel-net.com>  wrote in message

0
Chris
9/29/2010 3:16:50 PM
In that they're trying to add 2000 more folks,
I wonder what size the current roster is.

It must be a sizable task for some team to
administer and formalize the feedback.

--

> Yes, its like other vendor NG's. I do not consider a NG like an AB though.
> The AB is dedicated to resonding to questions from the software vendor -
> not a self help venue like the NG.
>

> "Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]" <jason.fenter@teamsybase.com> wrote in
> message news:4ca35465@forums-1-dub...
>> As John said, it sounds a WHOLE LOT like this newsgroup. The only thing
>> missing is a list of who has posted.
>>

>> On 9/29/2010 9:40 AM, Chris Pollach wrote:
>>>    What I would like to see is completely open invitation by Sybase to
>>> have a
>>> more varied amount of PB developers from the real world of application
>>> development. The membership should also be public - so that all Sybase
>>> customers would be able to see who is participating at any given time
>>> and
>>> their credentials.
>>>
>>>    I hear allot of comments over the years that Sybase has asked this or
>>> that
>>> and has had input from their AB. However, I have never seen who is on
>>> the AB
>>> and what credentials they carry - not like the MS one. Making the Sybase
>>> AB
>>> open and public ensures that it is not perceived like software "vapour
>>> ware".
>>>

>>> "John Strano[Sybase]"<nichtspamnonejohn@johnstrano.com>  wrote in
>>> message

0
John
9/29/2010 4:42:44 PM
Wow .. 2K more - "cool"!

> In that they're trying to add 2000 more folks,
> I wonder what size the current roster is.
>
> It must be a sizable task for some team to
> administer and formalize the feedback.
>
> --
> John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist
>

> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes, its like other vendor NG's. I do not consider a NG like an AB
>> though. The AB is dedicated to resonding to questions from the software
>> vendor - not a self help venue like the NG.
>>

>> "Jason 'Bug' Fenter [TeamSybase]" <jason.fenter@teamsybase.com> wrote in
>> message news:4ca35465@forums-1-dub...
>>> As John said, it sounds a WHOLE LOT like this newsgroup. The only thing
>>> missing is a list of who has posted.

0
Chris
9/29/2010 4:57:51 PM
We have a very active Customer Advisory Board, and the members of that group
have very solid credentials.  Building "real-world" mission critical
applications in global settings.  So it's taken care of....

--
Paul Horan[Sybase]
http://paulhoran.ulitzer.com

> Hi All;
>
>    Its too bad that Sybase does not have a public and open Advisory Board
> like MS does ...

> Hello Chris,
>
> As an IT Professional and Developer with an opinionated view on the IT
> Industry ... would you like to help shape future Microsoft initiatives,
> including upcoming product and services launches?
>
> The Microsoft IT Advisory Council is opening up recruitment once again for
> interested parties to get involved. For the past 5 years the ITAC has been
> offering its members not only the forum to discuss with a community of
> their peers the various topics that concern them on a day to day basis in
> the IT industry but also to provide them with the chance to review,
> critique, and expand upon various Microsoft offerings and products.
> Traditionally it's been existing products and services but as of this
> August, with our launch of the Last Mile Experience (LMX), that offering
> has grown substantially. Microsoft would now like to offer the members of
> ITAC the chance to review products that are scheduled to launch in the
> upcoming year as well.
>
> What is the IT Advisory council you ask?
>
> The IT Advisory Council (ITAC) is a select group of IT Professionals and
> Developers. The purpose of the council is to create a platform for you to
> share your views, ideas, expertise and opinions, in order to help
> Microsoft shape future initiatives. As a member, you play an integral part
> in providing feedback on Microsoft customer offerings, licensing, support,
> marketing materials and community initiatives. You can provide direct
> feedback on a range of Microsoft's upcoming product and services launches.
> We're looking to add 2000 more members over the next few months to
> interact with the smartest professionals in business and technology while
> influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy to get involved as
> well!
>
> As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
> discussions with other council members. You will also represent the
> customer voice to help determine what is missing within their final launch
> to the customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual customer
> experience of Microsoft products and services. Additionally, you will be
> entered into giveaways, and special offers.
>
> It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!
>
> -The Microsoft ITAC Team
>
>  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
> large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the
> masses.
>

> Regards ... Chris
> Blog: http://ChrisPollach.BlogSpot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass

0
Paul
9/29/2010 5:49:24 PM
i guess the 'real-world' leaves out the canadian government ... go figure ->
probably excludes the provincial NB government too :-)

"Paul Horan[Sybase]" <phoran_remove@remove_sybase.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> to interact with the smartest professionals in business and technology
>> while influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy to get involved
>> as well!
>>
>> As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
>> discussions with other council members. You will also represent the
>> customer voice to help determine what is missing within their final
>> launch to the customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual
>> customer experience of Microsoft products and services. Additionally, you
>> will be entered into giveaways, and special offers.
>>
>> It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!
>>
>> -The Microsoft ITAC Team
>>
>>  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
>> large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5490 (20100929) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
jeff
9/29/2010 5:56:45 PM
Most likely US Fed and State government's too.
:-)

<jeff> wrote in message news:4ca37ddd$1@forums-1-dub...

> [...]
>>> months to interact with the smartest professionals in business and
>>> technology while influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy to
>>> get involved as well!
>>>
>>> As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
>>> discussions with other council members. You will also represent the
>>> customer voice to help determine what is missing within their final
>>> launch to the customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual
>>> customer experience of Microsoft products and services. Additionally,
>>> you will be entered into giveaways, and special offers.
>>>
>>> It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!
>>>
>>> -The Microsoft ITAC Team
>>>
>>>  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
>>> large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the

0
Chris
9/29/2010 6:30:49 PM
Like I said ... how about an open AB that lists the members and credentials?
Anyone can make your claims (and not that I am accusing you of falsifying) -
it just would add to Sybase's credabilty.

It would also be nice to see the questions posed - like we do on the Novalys
site:
http://www.visual-expert.com/EN/survey-pb-stored-procedure-sybase-mssql

> [...]
>> to interact with the smartest professionals in business and technology
>> while influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy to get involved
>> as well!
>>
>> As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks, polls and
>> discussions with other council members. You will also represent the
>> customer voice to help determine what is missing within their final
>> launch to the customer, effectively testing and influencing the actual
>> customer experience of Microsoft products and services. Additionally, you
>> will be entered into giveaways, and special offers.
>>
>> It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from you soon!
>>
>> -The Microsoft ITAC Team
>>
>>  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real developers who work on
>> large scale PB applications to help them mold the product set for the

9/29/2010 6:35:40 PM
It sounds nothing like this forum. This is the problem!!!
We keep saying the same thing time after time and Sybase
keeps peddling the same sub-standard crap, release after
release. What's the point in posting here, Sybase employees
may or may not read it, and regardless, they choose to
ignore what is said and continue on their blinkered path.

> [...]
> direct feedback on a range of Microsoft's upcoming product
> and services >>> launches. We're looking to add 2000 more
> members over the next few months >>> to interact with the
> smartest professionals in business and technology >>>
> while influencing and setting industry trends. It's easy
> to get involved >>> as well!

> , polls and >>> discussions with other council members.
> You will also represent the >>> customer voice to help
> determine what is missing within their final >>> launch to
> the customer, effectively testing and influencing the
> actual >>> customer experience of Microsoft products and
> services. Additionally, you >>> will be entered into
> giveaways, and special offers. >>>
> from you soon! >>>

> --------------- >>>
> developers who work on >>> large scale PB applications to
> help them mold the product set for the >>> masses.

Big
10/1/2010 9:09:16 PM
I beg to differ with you on this Paul - It most certainly is
not taken care of!
If it was, your input would have directed Sybase down a very
different path, a path where I would have found something in
the numerous releases since v9.0 that would make a good case
for upgrading. Instead, I am left with v9.0 and have within
the last year started migrating everything to VS!

Either you and your Customer Advisory Board have lost the
plot, or more likely, sybase is ignoring your advice.

> [...]
> with the smartest professionals in business and technology
> > while  influencing and setting industry trends. It's
> > easy to get involved as  well!
> >
> > As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks,
> > polls and  discussions with other council members. You
> > will also represent the  customer voice to help
> > determine what is missing within their final launch  to
> the customer, effectively testing and influencing the
> > actual customer  experience of Microsoft products and
> > services. Additionally, you will be  entered into
> giveaways, and special offers. >
> > It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from
> you soon! >
> > -The Microsoft ITAC Team

> --------------- >
> >  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real
> > developers who work on  large scale PB applications to
> > help them mold the product set for the  masses.

Jack
10/1/2010 9:21:07 PM
Hi Jack;

  Yes, it sure seems that way lately - however, I would hardily recommend
migrating to PB 11.5.1 as versions 10.5 and 11.5 added many new GUI
improvements.

  What I would like to know is what would your CSF (critical success
factors) be for you and your company to upgrade to PB xx - that is what
features do you need now in PB. Another way to ask would also be "why did
your company move to VS instead of PB 12.net?".

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com

"Jack D" wrote in message news:4ca650c3.2696.1681692777@sybase.com...
> [...]
>> with the smartest professionals in business and technology
>> > while  influencing and setting industry trends. It's
>> > easy to get involved as  well!
>> >
>> > As a member, you will participate in a series of tasks,
>> > polls and  discussions with other council members. You
>> > will also represent the  customer voice to help
>> > determine what is missing within their final launch  to
>> the customer, effectively testing and influencing the
>> > actual customer  experience of Microsoft products and
>> > services. Additionally, you will be  entered into
>> giveaways, and special offers. >
>> > It's a great time to take part and we hope to hear from
>> you soon! >
>> > -The Microsoft ITAC Team

>> --------------- >
>> >  I think sybase needs to get in touch with real
>> > developers who work on  large scale PB applications to
>> > help them mold the product set for the  masses.

10/1/2010 11:09:31 PM
Hi Chris,

The reason we migrated was we were tired of the false
promises and a total lack of delivering anything
substantial. We're another group of developers who have gone
down the dot net with Developer Express components route. We
get 2 - 3 new releases of the component suite a year, each
one with about 10 times as many useful changes as I've see
in PB from v6 - 12. I think that says it all.

> [...]
> looking to add >> > 2000 more members over the next few
> months to  interact >> with the smartest professionals in
> business and technology >> > while  influencing and
> setting industry trends. It's >> > easy to get involved as
>  well! >> >
> tasks, >> > polls and  discussions with other council
> members. You >> > will also represent the  customer voice
> to help >> > determine what is missing within their final
> launch  to >> the customer, effectively testing and
> influencing the >> > actual customer  experience of
> Microsoft products and >> > services. Additionally, you
> will be  entered into >> giveaways, and special offers. >
> from >> you soon! >

> >> --------------- > >> >  I think sybase needs to get in
> touch with real >> > developers who work on  large scale
> PB applications to >> > help them mold the product set for

10/4/2010 7:53:03 PM
I hear ya.  :-)